DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
TigerLaw
DIS Veteran

Our 4th of July, My Bday, 1st Time at OKW Trip Report (Updated 8/23 - FINAL UPDATE!!)

The Cast:

Michael, thirteenth visit WDW (Disney fanatic for years)

Melissa, wife of the fanatic, fellow lover of WDW, just nowhere near my level. This will be her twelfth visit (twelve visits together)

The Time:

Thursday, July 2, 2009 to Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Resorts:

Old Key West - One Bedroom Villa

The History:

Melissa and I first went to WDW in September, 2000. Since then we have gone every year at least once. Highlights of the different trips include Melissa surprised me with a mini-vacation to WDW for my 30th birthday and going to Disneyland for the 50th anniversary festivities. In the fall of 2007, I achieved a life-long dream (OK, it was a recent dream really) and talked Melissa into us buying into DVC. This was our third trip using our DVC points.

The Planning:

At the time a July trip was first discussed, we were still in the planning stages for our May, 2009 trip. Melissa first suggested a brief July trip mainly b/c (without getting into a long sob story) my mother passed away on 7/5/08, two days before my birthday of July 7th. Obviously, my birthday was a non-event last year and Melissa thought it would be a good idea to get me out of town for the July 5th anniversary and to do something for my b-day. The trip was originally supposed to be from the 2nd to the 6th to lessen days off from work, but given this yearís birthday promotion, we pushed it out to the 7th.

As far as where to stay, we originally were trying to get Kidani Village but just could never get it to work, so having just stayed our home resort (BCV) in May, we wanted to try something different and try to save on points, so we ultimately chose Old Key West. For a long time, we thought we wanted to stay in the Turtle Pond area, but about a week or two before our trip, we asked to be as close to the main pool area as possible, and luckily, we got a great spot. With respect to airfare, we originally had the same flight times we had for our may trip w. airtran, but after they changed the times for a second time, we switched to a really cheap flight on American. Car rental was done through dollar rent a car again, but given the holiday time period, cost us a quite a bit more than our may trip even though it was for less days.

The Plan of Attack:

7/2

arrive at 12:30 - hopefully in room by 2:30 (eat fast food on way to WDW)
7:15 ressie at Paradiso 37
after dinner, walk around DTD

7/3

MGM EMH morning (8am open)
lunch at oliviaís (11:55)
dinner Ohanas 6:45
mk holiday fireworks at 9pm
Maybe go back into MK for EMH night (11-2am) (note spectro is at 10:30)

7/4

MK regular morning (special open time- 8am)
move It Shake It Parade 10am, Snowglobe Parade - noon
Mike to park, mel at pool
EPCOT fireworks 10pm
rose & crown - 7:50

7/5

Epcot EMH morning 8am
lunch at seasons fast food (see if san angel inn is open)
MK evening (now its EMH night (11-2) w. spectro 9 and wishes 10)
dinner - Oliviaís 7:00 pm -
dessert party -check in at 8:45-9pm

7/6

MGM EMH morning
lunch - MGMís pizza planet
6pm AK rainforest
AK EMH night - 7 to 10 pm -dinner at flame tree
OR Epcot - cape may 5:50

7/7

MK EMH morning 8am
10:15 - crystal palace

Finally, allow me to close this report with a BIG TEASE!! - At some point in this trip, we saw a major A-List celebrity, so to find out who it was and all the details, you are going to have to come back and keep reading!!!

Sept. 2000 - Caribbean Beach & All Star Movies / Nov. & Dec. 2001 - Caribbean Beach / July, 2002 - Dolphin (30th Birthday trip!) / Oct. 2002 - Polynesian / Sept. 2003 - Hard Rock Hotel & Beach Club / May, 2004 - Hard Rock Hotel / Nov. & Dec., 2004 - Hard Rock & Boardwalk Inn / Dec. 2005 - Disneyland 50th Anniversary trip at Grand Californian / Sept. 2006 - Beach Club / May 2007 - 4 Night cruise on Disney Wonder (our first cruise ever!) and 3 nights at WDW (Beach Club) / Fall, 2007 - Became owners at Beach Club Villas / Nov. & Dec. 2007 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (concierge level!) & Beach Club / Feb. 2008 - Hard Rock Hotel & Portofino Bay / Sept. 2008 - Polynesian & Beach Club Villas (Our first time at our DVC home!) / May, 2009 - Polynesian & Beach Club Villas / July, 2009 - Old Key West / Oct. 2009- Disneyland - Paradise Pier / May, 2010 - Bay Lake Tower & Beach Club Villas May 2011 - Hard Rock Hotel / Feb 2012 One More Disney Day (ASM)/ July, 2012 - Beach Club Villas (40th B-Day trip) / Nov. 2012 - Beach Club Villas

My One Disney Day AND MORE Trip Report
Our Drama-Filled May 2010 Bay Lake & Beach Club Trip Report
--- Our 4th of July, My Bday, 1st Time at OKW Trip Report
Our 2nd Time Home (BCV) Very Rainy May Trip Report --- First Time Coming Home to BCV Trip Report
Doin' Disney Holiday Style Trip Report

Last edited by TigerLaw; 08-23-2009 at 08:43 AM.
TigerLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
Checkers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLaw View Post
The Cast:

Michael, thirteenth visit WDW (Disney fanatic for years)

Melissa, wife of the fanatic, fellow lover of WDW, just nowhere near my level. This will be her twelfth visit (twelve visits together)

The Time:

Thursday, July 2, 2009 to Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Resorts:

Old Key West - One Bedroom Villa

The History:

Melissa and I first went to WDW in September, 2000. Since then we have gone every year at least once. Highlights of the different trips include Melissa surprised me with a mini-vacation to WDW for my 30th birthday and going to Disneyland for the 50th anniversary festivities. In the fall of 2007, I achieved a life-long dream (OK, it was a recent dream really) and talked Melissa into us buying into DVC. This was our third trip using our DVC points.

The Planning:

At the time a July trip was first discussed, we were still in the planning stages for our May, 2009 trip. Melissa first suggested a brief July trip mainly b/c (without getting into a long sob story) my mother passed away on 7/5/08, two days before my birthday of July 7th. Obviously, my birthday was a non-event last year and Melissa thought it would be a good idea to get me out of town for the July 5th anniversary and to do something for my b-day. The trip was originally supposed to be from the 2nd to the 6th to lessen days off from work, but given this yearís birthday promotion, we pushed it out to the 7th.

As far as where to stay, we originally were trying to get Kidani Village but just could never get it to work, so having just stayed our home resort (BCV) in May, we wanted to try something different and try to save on points, so we ultimately chose Old Key West. For a long time, we thought we wanted to stay in the Turtle Pond area, but about a week or two before our trip, we asked to be as close to the main pool area as possible, and luckily, we got a great spot. With respect to airfare, we originally had the same flight times we had for our may trip w. airtran, but after they changed the times for a second time, we switched to a really cheap flight on American. Car rental was done through dollar rent a car again, but given the holiday time period, cost us a quite a bit more than our may trip even though it was for less days.

The Plan of Attack:

7/2

arrive at 12:30 - hopefully in room by 2:30 (eat fast food on way to WDW)
7:15 ressie at Paradiso 37
after dinner, walk around DTD

7/3

MGM EMH morning (8am open)
lunch at oliviaís (11:55)
dinner Ohanas 6:45
mk holiday fireworks at 9pm
Maybe go back into MK for EMH night (11-2am) (note spectro is at 10:30)

7/4

MK regular morning (special open time- 8am)
move It Shake It Parade 10am, Snowglobe Parade - noon
Mike to park, mel at pool
EPCOT fireworks 10pm
rose & crown - 7:50

7/5

Epcot EMH morning 8am
lunch at seasons fast food (see if san angel inn is open)
MK evening (now its EMH night (11-2) w. spectro 9 and wishes 10)
dinner - Oliviaís 7:00 pm -
dessert party -check in at 8:45-9pm

7/6

MGM EMH morning
lunch - MGMís pizza planet
6pm AK rainforest
AK EMH night - 7 to 10 pm -dinner at flame tree
OR Epcot - cape may 5:50

7/7

MK EMH morning 8am
10:15 - crystal palace

Finally, allow me to close this report with a BIG TEASE!! - At some point in this trip, we saw a major A-List celebrity, so to find out who it was and all the details, you are going to have to come back and keep reading!!!
Count me in! I'm anxious to see how you liked OKW, our home resort.

Upcoming:

BWVs - 9/14-9/18
BWVs - 12/14-12/19
BWVs - 2/14-2/21/15
Checkers is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-02-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
TigerLaw
DIS Veteran

Thursday, July 2nd

Parks Visited: None
Meals: Paradiso 37

Flight down to Orlando was no problem (but no upgrade to first class like our last flight in May) The flight wasnít full for a change, so we actually were able to spread out in a three seat row. After arriving in Orlando, I went to the dollar express stand BEFORE even going to luggage pick up and got our rental keys before our luggage was even out. Ultimately, we were on the road by 1pm making great time, as the flight had arrived at the gate around 12:20 p.m.

On our way to OKW, we stopped at a wendyís drive thru for a quick lunch and then drove over to check in. No one was at the check in area in front of us, so it was super easy and we got exactly the building we had requested building 62, directly across the street from the hospitality house. Our room was on the first floor (room 6207 I believe) and oh my god the place was SO HUGE! WHY CANíT ALL DVC VILLAS BE THIS BIG?!? LOVED IT!!! Here are some pics:

Our villa was on the bottom right in the last picture. Everything seemed to be in good shape, condition-wise. I know people have complained about how hard the beds were, and as a soft bed kind of guy, I was worried, but they didnít really bother us all that much. Great a view of the lake. Once we got settled, Melissa took a nap while I walked around and took some pics of the hospitality area. Saw the min pool for the first time and thought it was really crowded. Here are some other OKW pics:

I was supposed to be going to the grocery store, but I first drove over to the miller road pool to take a look at that and saw no one there. I also looked at the turtle pond pool area and saw it being much more crowded also. After I completed my pool tour, I drove over to winn dixie and got some groceries for us.

Unlike past trips, we decided to make date night for us our first night of the trip, so that evening we headed over to Downtown Disney to have dinner at the new Paradiso 37 restaurant. We had originally planned to take the DVC ferry over, but I saw that it was open aired and there was a chance for rain, so we just drove over. The dinner was OK. The place was just loud, first with a loud guitar player and then he went on break, a loud DJ. I had a burrito which wasnít that bad, but Melissa didnít like her chicken enchiladas.

After dinner, we headed over to the marketplace. I couldnít get over how many people were actually walking inside of pleasure island given there really isnít anything there all that much anymore. We looked at the portabello yacht club menu and decided we might try that sometime in the future. T-rex looked like it was a zoo and so was world of disney, which we just walked in and out of basically. We next went over to the 365 days of christmas, as our plan was to use my birthday gift card on x-mas ornaments. We found a couple we liked and wanted to keep our eyes out for at the xmas store in magic kingdom. After I got a photo album in the art of disney, we got ice cream at Ghirardelliís - I got cookies ní cream in a waffle cone (I canít remember what Melissa got).

Once we were done w. DTD, we came back home and headed over to the main OKW pool. It was an easy walk from our room to anywhere in hospitality area. I wanted to do the slide, but they closed it down right before I was able to try it as the lifeguards went off duty. We didnít stay all that long and finally came back and passed out for the night.

Here are some DTD and other nighttime pics:

COMING UP - WE FINALLY HIT THE PARKS

Sept. 2000 - Caribbean Beach & All Star Movies / Nov. & Dec. 2001 - Caribbean Beach / July, 2002 - Dolphin (30th Birthday trip!) / Oct. 2002 - Polynesian / Sept. 2003 - Hard Rock Hotel & Beach Club / May, 2004 - Hard Rock Hotel / Nov. & Dec., 2004 - Hard Rock & Boardwalk Inn / Dec. 2005 - Disneyland 50th Anniversary trip at Grand Californian / Sept. 2006 - Beach Club / May 2007 - 4 Night cruise on Disney Wonder (our first cruise ever!) and 3 nights at WDW (Beach Club) / Fall, 2007 - Became owners at Beach Club Villas / Nov. & Dec. 2007 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (concierge level!) & Beach Club / Feb. 2008 - Hard Rock Hotel & Portofino Bay / Sept. 2008 - Polynesian & Beach Club Villas (Our first time at our DVC home!) / May, 2009 - Polynesian & Beach Club Villas / July, 2009 - Old Key West / Oct. 2009- Disneyland - Paradise Pier / May, 2010 - Bay Lake Tower & Beach Club Villas May 2011 - Hard Rock Hotel / Feb 2012 One More Disney Day (ASM)/ July, 2012 - Beach Club Villas (40th B-Day trip) / Nov. 2012 - Beach Club Villas

Our 2nd Time Home (BCV) Very Rainy May Trip Report --- First Time Coming Home to BCV Trip Report
Old 08-02-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
GGOOFY1
DIS Veteran

Hi TigerLaw wow I feel like I just finished your rainy May TR... Glad you found OKW in good shape. It has been our "Home" since 1993 and we feel like we are traders when we don't go "Home" to OKW. Miller's Road and Turtle Pond are my two favorite locations. Can't wait to hear your review of the slide.
Also,
Old 08-02-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
katmittens
OKW Owner

OKW is our home resort, and in Jan we are staying at VWL. I am still torn, but the plans are made. We love the roominess at OKW, but the beds are too hard for me. I know I can get egg crates for the beds, but we are going with VWL. Good report so far. I will be waiting for more.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
TigerLaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkers View Post
Count me in! I'm anxious to see how you liked OKW, our home resort.
Right now, OKW would be the place we would go if our home resort, BCV, was unavailable for whatever reason. We loved the size of the villas and the beachy feel. Having a rental, it was never too far from anywhere, and we loved using the MK shortcut (the road to fort wilderness was a shortcut to us anyway). We did miss stormalong bay and being able to walk in and out of epcot, but given the point values as well, OKW was a hit for us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGOOFY1 View Post
Hi TigerLaw wow I feel like I just finished your rainy May TR... Glad you found OKW in good shape. It has been our "Home" since 1993 and we feel like we are traders when we don't go "Home" to OKW. Miller's Road and Turtle Pond are my two favorite locations. Can't wait to hear your review of the slide.
Also,
Goofy, the slide was interesting to say the least - adults my size aren't really the target slide audience, so let's just say while the slide was fine, I landed in the water sideways somehow and was a bit disoriented! While I would not want to stay in the "preferred" hospitiality house locations, I LOVED where we were at and that would be our choice again in the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmittens View Post
OKW is our home resort, and in Jan we are staying at VWL. I am still torn, but the plans are made. We love the roominess at OKW, but the beds are too hard for me. I know I can get egg crates for the beds, but we are going with VWL. Good report so far. I will be waiting for more.
I will probably try for the egg crates next time - my question is that if they know the beds are too hard for lots of people (which they must if they have the egg crates ready to go), why not do something about it?

Old 08-02-2009, 07:02 PM   #7
jess98ac
DIS Veteran

I'm in, can't wait to read more!

1986-1996 4 trips all offsite; 1997 All Star Sports; 1999 offsite again; 2001 Disneyland CA; 2002 one day at Epcot; 2003 Westgage Vacation Villas; 2005 offsite (last hooorah has a bachelorette!);2006 Pop Century; 2007 POR; 2009 OKW; 2011 Westgate Vacation Villages; 2013 Sheraton Vistana Resort; 2015 WBC
jess98ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:45 PM   #8
christa112
DIS Veteran

Great pictures!!!!!
Old 08-02-2009, 10:24 PM   #9
katmittens
OKW Owner

I think they are replacing mattresses, with the new harder ones. I believe some people like hard mattresses. I did talk to a manager at OKW/SSR and she assured me egg crates would be available and that alot of people do not like the beds, and she could not understand why these mattresses were purchased. She sort of made a comment that the people doing the ordering are incorrect in their purchases.
We will be back at OKW, because we do love many things about it, but for now we are at least trying different DVC's which is also alot of fun.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:26 PM   #10
AlaskaMOM
BL II - Blue Team
DH is my Prince Charming

looking at your pics made me *sigh* with longing.
Our next trip we're going to BWV, hoping I won't miss OKW too much.

What do you think about the balconies; aren't they awesome?

Can't wait to read more.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:35 AM   #11
TigerLaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess98ac View Post
I'm in, can't wait to read more!
Hope to have more up by the end of the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by christa112 View Post
Great pictures!!!!!
Thanks - this actually is the fewest amount of pictures I have ever taken on a trip, but I still have some good ones! (at least I think so!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmittens View Post
I think they are replacing mattresses, with the new harder ones. I believe some people like hard mattresses. I did talk to a manager at OKW/SSR and she assured me egg crates would be available and that alot of people do not like the beds, and she could not understand why these mattresses were purchased. She sort of made a comment that the people doing the ordering are incorrect in their purchases.
We will be back at OKW, because we do love many things about it, but for now we are at least trying different DVC's which is also alot of fun.
What I wonder about is you would think the "bed ordering" would be somewhat centralized such that there is a CM who knows what types of beds get complaints and what don't - I'm sure people who like hard beds have issues w. other resorts, OKW is the only place I have ever read about though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMOM View Post
looking at your pics made me *sigh* with longing.
Our next trip we're going to BWV, hoping I won't miss OKW too much.

What do you think about the balconies; aren't they awesome?

Can't wait to read more.
TOTALLY forgot to sing the praises of the balconies! LOVED THAT TOO!

Old 08-03-2009, 09:05 PM   #12
TigerLaw
DIS Veteran

Friday, July 3rd

Parks Visited: MGM and MK
Meals: Oliviaís (lunch) and Oíhanas (dinner)

Friday morning was EMH morning at MGM. We drove there and from OKW is was an easy drive. I actually overestimated badly how much time we would need, so we ended up being like the second car in the parking lot! Here a picture of the crowds before the rope drop:

Actually, despite the picture, the crowds werenít that bad at the beginning of the morning. At the rope drop, I did the race walk over to toy story mania to get us fastpasses. It was more like as race crawl so it made it more difficult as the slower pace made it so that I kept getting walked on from people behind me. Eventually, got the passes and met Melissa in the stand by line. We had decided beforehand only to do the one stand by ride and then head back to RnRC. I canít remember what Melissa scored, but I only did a 130,000+ score, so still not past my 165K high score. At RnRC, I was worried b/c there was already a line, but it moved really quickly, so we got on within like 15 minutes or so and then did a second ride using the single rider line w. no wait. At 9:00 am, we got a FP for RnRC and then we split up, with me heading over to tower and Melissa hitting the shops. I did tower twice, the first time as essentially a walk on to the library and the second time it took about 10 minutes to get inside. From there, we met back up by the picnic tables and we did great movie ride. I canít recall how long the line was, but it was outside the trailer room. I do remember we had a horrible guide. Next, we used our FPs for toy story, and once again, I didnít get anywhere close to my best score. Concluding the FP march, we headed back over and did RnRC a couple more times.

By that time, it was around noon and it was getting hot, really hot, so we came back and went to Oliviaís for lunch. I couldnít find a parking spot in the main area, so I ended up dropping Melissa off, parking the car at our villa, and then just walking over - gotta love being that close to everything! Our hostess knew of my upcoming birthday, so she gave me a birthday button (b/c I had left my original one at the villa) and Melissa one too (for some reason, Melissa refused to wear it, see below:

While the menu was limited, Melissa really liked her turkey sandwich and my bacon cheeseburger was fine. I also got free ice cream and chocolate cake, so that was nice (thank god, no staff singing happy birthday though!). After lunch, Melissa decided that the main pool was too crowded, so we walked over to the miller rd. quiet pool and stayed there for an hour or so. It rained a bit (nothing too major), so we just left and took a nap, as we had a long night ahead of us.

COMING UP - 4TH OF JULY FIREWORKS ON JULY 3RD WORKS FOR US!!

Old 08-03-2009, 09:21 PM   #13
Tinks "SS"
DIS Veteran

Thank you for the lovely OKW pics! They are awesome! Enjoying your TR. read your may one also.

We too are looking forward to OKW as our first DVC trip to celebrate our oldest sons bday! Thanks for all of the pics and so glad you had a great time!

me (Leigh Anne), DH (Bart), DS 12, DS10
Tinks "SS" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #14
Greyhound22
Mouseketeer

We were at Kidani Village at the same time. My wife is a huge celebrity "lover". She is dying to know who we missed. BTW - we went to MK three years ago on the 4th of July (our first disney trip). We walked in a little after opening and they took us around the "side" and we actually walked into the park around the Space Mountain area. When we were in the "back area" we walked by Lee Greenwood and Gloria Estefan. I think that what actually hooked her (not the mouse). We became DVC members a little later. DO TELL!

Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city." -George Burns
Me DW DD15::::: DD13
Greyhound22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:24 PM   #15
katmittens
OKW Owner

Yes, do tell us the celebrity that you saw. We have stayed in the same hotels as many of the soap opera stars and we met them in hallways and elevators and have some pictures with them. We met Scott Simpson (a professional golfer) got an autograph, and had a nice conversation with Dick Vitale at the Contemporary, and saw Keith Jackson at dinner, both of them are sportscasters. One nite at California Grill we say Joe Roh(can't remember his last name) who was the designer of Animal Kingdom. I was going to go over but he was with a large group of people.
So my list is not too great, but please give us a hint.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: