Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2010, 07:35 PM   #811
eazyeray
Professional Xtreme Lurker

Location: originally Fall River, MA but bought my first house in Pawtucket, RI

I'd like to join in but I really only read non-fiction. For example, I just finished reading Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA and Perils of Peace: Americas Struggle for Survival After Yorktown. If you ever venture over to what people would call "books they make you read in school" territory, I'm in.

Alexander 07.15.12
eazyeray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:09 PM   #812
robind
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut1967 View Post
Just finished 'Help' loved it and at the grand age of 42 read 'To Kill A Mockingbird' for the very first time, enjoyed both books. Now reading 'The Personal History of Rachel Dupree' Good so far would recommend it after 'Help'

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyores#1Fan View Post
Hi! Haven't posted in a few months but just had to stop by and say how much I LOVED reading "The Help". Now to read Last Song by Nicholas Sparks (my favorite aurthor) so that I can see the movie when it comes out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnninIowa View Post
I think this should be the next DIS Book Club pick....I think it would appeal to a wide audience.
I've heard good things about this one too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisVillianMomma View Post
I wanna join in!!!

I have a couple of suggestions if you all do not mind.

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

The novel is not easily classified by genre. On one level, the work is a romance novel with a focus on the romantic relationship between the two main characters. However, the book breaks certain romance genre conventions—the heroine, for instance, is slightly older and more experienced than the hero. The book could be described as a work of historical fiction with a detailed account of eighteenth century Scottish clan life. The novel could also be considered science fiction with a plot propelled by time travel. when Claire journeys from the 1940s to the eighteenth century.

Claire Randall is a nurse in the British Army during World War II. She and her husband Frank, who were separated during the war, have recently reunited and are enjoying a second honeymoon in Inverness, Scotland. Claire goes plant-gathering with an amateur botanist, Claire realizes she can hear a buzzing noise from the stones and investigates. She ends traveling back in time to 1743 where she is thrown together her husbands ancestor and a new Scotsman named Jamie.

Marian
LOVE this series, but some of them are very long - so it might scare some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemoe View Post
Heading to B&N today to get the free Alice in Wonderland book download for the Nook. I've already gotten the screensaver set via the B&N website. Pretty cool.

I downloaded this on my iPhone Kindle app - seemed like a good time to actually read the original.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:58 PM   #813
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

Quote:
Originally Posted by robind View Post
I've heard good things about this one too.

LOVE this series, but some of them are very long - so it might scare some people.

I downloaded this on my iPhone Kindle app - seemed like a good time to actually read the original.
Which version did you get for Kindle? The one I saw said something about HTML version and I wasn't sure if that would be better or worse. Another version said it was missing the poems. So, I'd like to know what you got and what you think about it. I have Wonderland and Looking Glass as old books from the late 1800's so I've read them, but they are fragile so it would be easier to re-read on the Kindle.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:24 PM   #814
lttlmc3
You can ship it. I'll still eat it
If I were a ghost, I would def. stay at WDW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazyeray View Post
I'd like to join in but I really only read non-fiction. For example, I just finished reading Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA and Perils of Peace: Americas Struggle for Survival After Yorktown. If you ever venture over to what people would call "books they make you read in school" territory, I'm in.
I really like non-fiction too. Right now I'm reading "Fatal Analysis." It's about a psychologist who is working with someone who he thinks is a serial killer.
I think, though, that you could give some fiction a chance. For instance, historical fiction has a lot of non-fiction qualities. It gives a lot of factual information, but adds it to a fictional story. You can still learn a lot that way.
lttlmc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:44 PM   #815
Sorcerer's Mickey
Earning My Ears

"The Help" being made into a movie!

Today's paper in Jackson has an article about "The Help" being scheduled to be a movie.

Let's list who should play the roles from the book.

Aibileen - Ophra

Minny - Whoopie

Skeeter - Winona Ryder

Miss Hilly - Nicole Kiddman

Miss Celia - Scarlett Johansson

Miss Leefolt - Jorja Fox
Sorcerer's Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #816
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Has anyone here read The Secret? It was recommended to me tonight by a friend and I'm curious to see if anyone else has read it and whether or not they felt empowered by it.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:59 PM   #817
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Although our book club and discussion group is still discussing Pirate Latitudes, I'm beginning to make plans for our second book choice. Please take a minute to fill out the survey below. If you have any questions, let me know!

Thanks!

Nikki

http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/WEB22AF6Z83MRT

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:50 PM   #818
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

I just filled it out. Thanks for doing that! I suggested the Lost City of Z. I think it was mentioned on this thread a while back and it has been on my to read list for awhile. It seemed to get good reviews. I would also love reading anything Disney.

I just got the book Designing Disney from Amazon today. I can't wait to start it!
Old 03-31-2010, 10:58 AM   #819
hmonkeyruns
Mouseketeer

Good idea, PinkBudgie!

I've had Lost City of Z on my shelf for months and it keeps getting bumped for something else.
hmonkeyruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:07 AM   #820
CBisMe
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBudgie View Post
I just filled it out. Thanks for doing that! I suggested the Lost City of Z. I think it was mentioned on this thread a while back and it has been on my to read list for awhile. It seemed to get good reviews. I would also love reading anything Disney.

I just got the book Designing Disney from Amazon today. I can't wait to start it!
Thanks for posting that! I just looked up the description on Amazon - looks like a great read. I'm going to get it from the library this week.

I'm looking forward to being a part of the second book of the book club. I was a little late in finding the thread on the first one. I read a little to slowly to start up in the middle!
CBisMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:15 PM   #821
mytripsandraces
DIS Veteran

Book Club and Recommendations List

I love this thread! Thank you.

I'm currently reading The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander in preparation for watching The Black Cauldron. I try to alternate fiction and non-fiction and will be following this thread closely for recommendations.

The last book I read was Black Plants by Paul Bonine and next up is Mousejunkies by Bill Burke.
mytripsandraces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:19 PM   #822
sc9500
Hile... Gunslinger...

This poor thread .. ever since the book club its been abandoned ... I just wanted to mention a few books I put away ... One that will scare the crap out of most people "One Second After" a realistic apocalyptic view of a pending disaster by William R. Forstchen and a couple of horror by Steven Siegler Infected / Contagious . I also ran into this which makes me want to read the book Pete had recommended a while ago. http://www.reelzchannel.com/movie/27...-External-Site

Deodorant people.. deodorant
sc9500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:26 AM   #823
MelissaFromRI
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow , shining at the end of everyday

Bump
Old 06-25-2010, 05:13 PM   #824
pdchris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lttlmc3 View Post
I really like non-fiction too. Right now I'm reading "Fatal Analysis." It's about a psychologist who is working with someone who he thinks is a serial killer.
I think, though, that you could give some fiction a chance. For instance, historical fiction has a lot of non-fiction qualities. It gives a lot of factual information, but adds it to a fictional story. You can still learn a lot that way.
I'm going to agree with you part-way in that yes there is good fiction out there. But I'll pass on historical fiction. I figure why not just read a true account?
I'm currently reading Okinawa about the last major battle of WW2 and just finished The Big Lie which was about the HP fiasco (pre-texting, spying on board members).
Now for my not-so-guilty-pleasure: I love the Perry Mason mysteries by Gardner.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:27 AM   #825
kristina87
I'd rather die tomorrow, than live a hundred years without knowing you

*bump*

and also - I am currently reading Cast Member Confidential by Chris Mitchell

Im curious to see what its like behind the scenes!

Check out my blog!

http://http://thedisneybtches.blogspot.com/

kristina87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: