Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2010, 09:07 PM   #796
KatheeME
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemoe View Post
Wow we sound like twins. In the three weeks since I've had my Nook I've spent more time reading and less time on the laptop at home. Welcome!

Is anyone signed up at Goodreads.com ? I just created an account to track books on my bookshelves.

1) What I've read
2) Currently reading
3) Want to read

Those are just the basic shelves.

A lot of us use Amazon and Barnes & Noble for our purchasing but this looks like a nice neutral site to friend each other and chronical our reading.

I am going to check out goodreads, thanks!
Old 03-19-2010, 12:08 AM   #797
brattosa
Mouseketeer

I'm on Goodreads as well just to keep track of what I've read and wish lists. Is there a Disboard group over there?
May '78-Offsite • June '95-Offsite • May '97-ASM & Contemporary (Honeymoon) • Nov '98-POFQ • June '99-ASM • May '02-ASM • May '05-Pop • May '08-Pop & Contemporary • June '10-SSR • Nov '12 SSR • May '14 SSR

DVC SSR Member
brattosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:04 AM   #798
georgemoe
Beverages? There were beverages?
Will always remember Norway (even if he did forget his wife)
AKA Señor Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatheeME View Post
I am going to check out goodreads, thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattosa View Post
I'm on Goodreads as well just to keep track of what I've read and wish lists. Is there a Disboard group over there?
My nickname is georgemoe but not sure how to friend people or if we could start a group. I'm real new over there.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #799
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattosa View Post
On Goodreads I'm just Tamara, but I have the same pink budgie avatar that I have here. Not sure how all that works either. I joined when a distant friend invited me and other than her, I've a loner over there. It does seem to have the ability to allow you to make groups both private and public in addition to having your friends.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:31 PM   #800
AnninIowa
DIS Veteran

New book on Disney World

Just found out about this new book, which covers the creation of Walt Disney World: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/061...=kinw_rke_tl_1

May have to order it since it's not on the Kindle!
Old 03-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #801
AnninIowa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPan09 View Post
Thank you to everyone who recommended The Help! I'm about halfway through it and I already know I don't want it to end!!!
I think this should be the next DIS Book Club pick....I think it would appeal to a wide audience.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:34 PM   #802
AnninIowa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaFromRI View Post
Some super deals at Barnes & Noble !!! - http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/disc...?cds2Pid=30121
I ordered a huge bunch from the sale - got my box last week and have already finished two!
Old 03-19-2010, 03:35 PM   #803
AnninIowa
DIS Veteran

Visual Bookshelf on Facebook

For those of you on Facebook, look up the "Visual Bookshelf" app. You can keep track of the books you've read, post ratings and reviews, and get recommendations. I love it since I can see what my friends are reading and get new ideas!
Old 03-19-2010, 06:19 PM   #804
DisVillianMomma
I'm a Villians Girl

What's the next book?

I wanna join in!!!

I have a couple of suggestions if you all do not mind.

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

The novel is not easily classified by genre. On one level, the work is a romance novel with a focus on the romantic relationship between the two main characters. However, the book breaks certain romance genre conventions—the heroine, for instance, is slightly older and more experienced than the hero. The book could be described as a work of historical fiction with a detailed account of eighteenth century Scottish clan life. The novel could also be considered science fiction with a plot propelled by time travel. when Claire journeys from the 1940s to the eighteenth century.

Claire Randall is a nurse in the British Army during World War II. She and her husband Frank, who were separated during the war, have recently reunited and are enjoying a second honeymoon in Inverness, Scotland. Claire goes plant-gathering with an amateur botanist, Claire realizes she can hear a buzzing noise from the stones and investigates. She ends traveling back in time to 1743 where she is thrown together her husbands ancestor and a new Scotsman named Jamie.

Marian

DisVillianMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:48 PM   #805
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisVillianMomma View Post
I wanna join in!!!

The novel is not easily classified by genre. On one level, the work is a romance novel with a focus on the romantic relationship between the two main characters. However, the book breaks certain romance genre conventions—the heroine, for instance, is slightly older and more experienced than the hero. The book could be described as a work of historical fiction with a detailed account of eighteenth century Scottish clan life. The novel could also be considered science fiction with a plot propelled by time travel. when Claire journeys from the 1940s to the eighteenth century.

Claire Randall is a nurse in the British Army during World War II. She and her husband Frank, who were separated during the war, have recently reunited and are enjoying a second honeymoon in Inverness, Scotland. Claire goes plant-gathering with an amateur botanist, Claire realizes she can hear a buzzing noise from the stones and investigates. She ends traveling back in time to 1743 where she is thrown together her husbands ancestor and a new Scotsman named Jamie.

Marian
When I saw romance, I went started to skip over it, then I saw time travel. I'm a sucker for time travel stories. Guess it depends on the ratio of romance to sci-fi is.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:29 PM   #806
KatheeME
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisVillianMomma View Post
I wanna join in!!!

Marian
I LOVE this series! I just finished the newest one and there must be more coming, it left so many questions!

The Help is a wonderful read as well, and I love the way it's written.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:48 PM   #807
nmoore14
Is there life outside of Disney? If so, I don't want to know about it.

Although I did not read the first book (not a big Michael Crichton fan), I do have a suggestion for the 2nd book. How about Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane? I know that this book is a movie, but I still think that this book sounds pretty interesting. It is about "A United States marshal hunts for a beautiful patient escaped from a hospital for the criminally insane on an island in Boston’s outer harbor."-from New York Times Bookseller information. Another suggestion I have is The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. This book is about "Race, poverty and science intertwine in the story of the woman whose cancer cells were cultured without her permission in 1951 and have supported a mountain of research undertaken since then."-from New York Times Book Review. This is a non-fiction book, but from the reviews I have read, it seems like a great book. I am not sure if anyone else is interested in non-fiction, but I thought I would suggest it.
nmoore14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:13 PM   #808
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmoore14 View Post
Another suggestion I have is The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. This book is about "Race, poverty and science intertwine in the story of the woman whose cancer cells were cultured without her permission in 1951 and have supported a mountain of research undertaken since then."-from New York Times Book Review.
I just read about this book. Sounds very interesting!

This is my suggestion for Book Club.
Or just a really good book to read.

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

In a startling departure from her previous novels ( Lady Oracle , Surfacing ), respected Canadian poet and novelist Atwood presents here a fable of the near future. In the Republic of Gilead, formerly the United States, far-right Schlafly/Falwell-type ideals have been carried to extremes in the monotheocratic government. The resulting society is a feminist's nightmare: women are strictly controlled, unable to have jobs or money and assigned to various classes: the chaste, childless Wives; the housekeeping Marthas; and the reproductive Handmaids, who turn their offspring over to the "morally fit" Wives. The tale is told by Offred (read: "of Fred"), a Handmaid who recalls the past and tells how the chilling society came to be.
~ From Library Journal
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #809
lttlmc3
You can ship it. I'll still eat it
If I were a ghost, I would def. stay at WDW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnninIowa View Post
For those of you on Facebook, look up the "Visual Bookshelf" app. You can keep track of the books you've read, post ratings and reviews, and get recommendations. I love it since I can see what my friends are reading and get new ideas!
I love visual bookshelf too!!
lttlmc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #810
hmonkeyruns
Mouseketeer

I haven't stuck with The Outlander series the whole way but boy did I LOVE that first book -- and at least the second one too.

Jamie is the best.

I'm not a huge fan of Margaret Atwood and especially not of Handmaid's Tale but that's certainly a book that's excellent for a book club.

I've never read anything by Lehane so I'm OK with Shutter Island if that's the next book.
hmonkeyruns is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: