Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #766
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

I saw this book at Barnes & Noble tonight and now am regretting not getting it. I think I will over the weekend. Check it out! It is definitely very timely with the Alice in Wonderland movie coming out on Friday and looks very, very interesting!

http://www.amazon.com/Alice-I-Have-B...7579067&sr=8-1

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #767
Kelliroo3
A Disney World fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaFromRI View Post
I just finished reading "Dear John" too , it was so good
I almost don't wanna see the movie , because I know it probably won't live up to the book.
That's true! I hate when that happens. My roommate saw the movie but did not read the book, and she really enjoyed the movie! But, her grandmother read the book and got annoyed with the movie!
First trip to Disneyland: July 2010
First December trip: December 2011
Kelliroo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #768
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

"Young Adult" books

Sierra, a teenager (I am not sure of her age), wrote that she finds herself read more "adult" books. This is great. But is she, and are we, missing something really good?

An adult library patron today said that some "young adult" books are like a whole new genre of really great reads.

The one that immediately came to mind was "Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins. Oh, it is SO good! "a gripping story set in a postapocalyptic world where a replacement for the United States demands a tribute from each of its territories: two children to be used as gladiators in a televised fight to the death." Book two was great, I am eagerly anticipating last book of the trilogy this summer.

"The House of the Scorpion" is another favorite teen novel. " Alacran, or El Patron, has lived 140 years with the help of transplants from a series of clones, a common practice among rich men in this world. The intelligence of clones is usually destroyed at birth, but Matt, the latest of Alacran's doubles, has been spared because he belongs to El Patron. He grows up in the family's mansion, alternately caged and despised as an animal and pampered and educated as El Patron's favorite. Gradually he realizes the fate that is in store for him.

And of course the Twilight series was meant for teens.

Happy reading!
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #769
KatheeME
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemoe View Post
Hi Kathee. The Nook must be a New England thing.
Hi! Where in Mass are you? I am on the coast, in a bordering town to Portland.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #770
georgemoe
Beverages? There were beverages?
Will always remember Norway (even if he did forget his wife)
AKA Señor Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatheeME View Post
Hi! Where in Mass are you? I am on the coast, in a bordering town to Portland.
Hi Kathee. Little Central MA city Leominster. I'm somewhat familiar with Portland and spend a few weekends a year south of there in Wells. Love my Flo's dogs in Cape Neddick. My grandmother was born up in Rockport.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #771
jimmiej
Quite unintentionally, I invented the Naked Segway Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by challer View Post
Now, I'm on to Disney War, by James B Stewart.
I read that. It was slow at times, but I learned alot about the company.

jimmiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:29 PM   #772
AnninIowa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishspirit View Post
Let me know what you think, I bought it but can't seem to get past the first few pages. Let me know if I should carry on!
I loved this! I am late to the Disney-fan thing (first trip was in 2005), but as a business person, this totally facinated me. It's about the rise and fall of Michael Eisner - of you are a Disney fan, you will love it as it talks about all aspects of the company (from animation and merchandising, to television and the parks). It is NOT certered around the parks, so if you are hoping it's all about Disney World, you'll be disappointed.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:16 PM   #773
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

I think this book club is a great idea. I might bet involved in the Pirate Latitudes discussion, but I just finished reading that in January and my memory isn't that great. I certainly don't want to reread it right this minute.

Currently I am reading Fantasy in Death By J.D. Robb (Nora Roberts). Yes, I'm a man, and I mostly like this series. Hush. I just finished reading In Search of God and Guinness, which is a non-fiction account of the good works done by the Guinness brewery in Ireland.

I am also carrying around Patriot Games, which I have about 1/3 done but haven't opened since before Christmas.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:54 AM   #774
challer
Hey EPCOT! Fix the jumping fountains already!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishspirit View Post
Let me know what you think, I bought it but can't seem to get past the first few pages. Let me know if I should carry on!
I'm six chapters in and I cannot put it down now.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #775
peanut1967
DIS Veteran

Just finished 'Help' loved it and at the grand age of 42 read 'To Kill A Mockingbird' for the very first time, enjoyed both books. Now reading 'The Personal History of Rachel Dupree' Good so far would recommend it after 'Help'

A
2009 2 weeks in Villa and Week at AKL CL...WOW
2012 3 weeks OKW our adoption celebration.

peanut1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #776
PeterPan09
bury my iPod with me, on shuffle, with headphones in my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut1967 View Post
Just finished 'Help' loved it and at the grand age of 42 read 'To Kill A Mockingbird' for the very first time, enjoyed both books. Now reading 'The Personal History of Rachel Dupree' Good so far would recommend it after 'Help'

A
To Kill a Mockingbird is not only one of my favorite books, it's also one of my all time favorite films. It was on AMC last night and I watched it twice!!!

I have to get The Help, too many people whose opinions I respect have said how great it is.
PeterPan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:18 PM   #777
CoMickey
Happy Dweedle... or is that Tweedle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnninIowa View Post
Amazon just posted this link on Facebook: http://www.amazon.com/b/?node=2245146011

I love loading up on the free classics....even if I don't read them, I just feel smarter with them on my Kindle!!
Thanks for sharing this link! I have wanted to download some of the classics and this is the jackpot!

CoMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:33 AM   #778
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Mousketeer View Post
I finished reading Hidden Mickeys and really enjoyed it. It's a fun adventure quest book. The Epilogue is sure to delight die-hard Disney fans and rankle the Disney family. The authors are working on another Disney-themed novel and a sequel to this one. I also finished Castmember Confidential. I'm not sure what facts the author got wrong, but I was put off by his arrogant tone and his superior attitude over others. Is it true that Cast Members are not allowed to help guests with medical emergencies? It seems to me that would be a PR nightmare, not to mention the lawsuits.
Thank you for posting about Hidden Mickeys! I'm reading it now and am really enjoying it. I would only recommend it to Disney lovers to read though. The writing is a little clumsy, but it's a interesting idea, like the DaVinci Code for Disney fans. I'm half way through and very curious to find out what the quest is all about, what it will lead them to in the end.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:26 PM   #779
AnninIowa
DIS Veteran

USA Today has a really good book section online with lots of reviews of new releases. Here is a link that was to some new books that look really good (they are about food!): http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/r...dup04_ST_N.htm
Old 03-04-2010, 09:01 PM   #780
wehavesix
Yes, I really have 6 kids
Yes, I'm crazy but in a good way
One minute I was walking along and the next I was falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnninIowa View Post
Kevin, heard you mention "The Help" on the podcast...I read this a few months back and LOVED IT!!! Learned so much about a time and place that was before MY time...interesting to hear about the path of women, both white and black, during the civil rights movement. I could relate in one way or another to ALL of the characters. I recommend this book to anyone!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
I was fascinated by this book.

I cant believe it's not a movie yet.

I spent part of the time I was reading the book casting the movie.

Aibelene - Oprah
Minny - Mo'Nique
Skeeter - Hillary Swank
Hilly - Sandra Bullock (but only after seeing The Blind Side)
I just read this book too. I love books based anywhere in the south. They just seem to have a quirkiness and a special "voice" that appeals to my southern upbringing. The Help attracted me because I live just a 2 hour drive west of Jackson, MS and, by golly, I KNOW these women. I could literally hear their voices. What a tumultuous and scary time for independent women and all people of color.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: