Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2010, 09:04 PM   #736
G66
G is for Grumpy (since 1966)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmonkeyruns View Post
Just finished reading Born to Run by Christoper Mcdougall. It's a non-fiction about a population of native people who live in the Copper Canyon area of Mexico who have a crazy ability to run ultra-distance races in high heat, virtually barefoot. They are called the Tarahumara and the author calls them "a near-mythical tribe of Stone Age superathletes". The book talks about ultra-running, the native people of Mexico, and the whole idea that humans evolved to run and how we'd be better off doing it barefoot instead of in Nikes.

It's good, but probably not something that would thrill non-runners,although I found it a fascinating book and very easy to read.
I agree, an excellent read.

For the business and economics minded, a good non-fiction read is Andrew Ross Sorkin's Too Big to Fail.
G66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #737
AnninIowa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
I was fascinated by this book.

I cant believe it's not a movie yet.

I spent part of the time I was reading the book casting the movie.

Aibelene - Oprah
Minny - Mo'Nique
Skeeter - Hillary Swank
Hilly - Sandra Bullock (but only after seeing The Blind Side)
Looks like a movie may be on the way: http://www.earlyword.com/2009/12/16/...on-fast-track/
Old 02-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #738
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Just finished the fifth Evanovich Stephanie Plum novel. Loved it!!!! Everyone was right - they do get better as you go on. I was rofl at this one. Not sure what to pick up next now. I was all set for the Sound of Music book, but am tempted to read the next in the Plum series.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:10 PM   #739
mommyceratops
Covets Clown School
Kevin's best buddy (you happy now?)
Totally Addicted to DisUnplugged!

I would be in for the book discussion.

Any book is fine with me. Although I love a good sparkly vampire book I would read something else.
mommyceratops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:41 PM   #740
robind
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBudgie View Post
Has anyone read those Sue Grafton books? The alpahabet mysteries. A is for... etc. I've never read any and just wondered if I should give one a try.
I like Sue Grafton's books, read them all except for T is for Traspass, the story line was too close to home after having to deal w/ caregivers with my mom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
Would anyone be interested in reading the same book together and commenting on it (i.e. like book clubs do)? It wouldn't have to be right away. Maybe in a few weeks? We could set up a separate thread for our discussions.

Just an idea.
I would be interested - the Michael Crichton book sounds like a good idea, I really like most of his stuff.

Quote:
Just finished the fifth Evanovich Stephanie Plum novel. Loved it!!!! Everyone was right - they do get better as you go on. I was rofl at this one. Not sure what to pick up next now. I was all set for the Sound of Music book, but am tempted to read the next in the Plum series.
I say keep going with Stephanie, but the real question is Ranger or Morelli?

Last edited by robind; 02-28-2010 at 09:41 PM. Reason: because I can't spell.
robind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:16 PM   #741
Applemomma
DIS Veteran

Count me in for a discussion group! I think that would be great .... just finished "listening/reading" The Shack and would love to discuss it. The Help was wonderful too!
Old 02-28-2010, 11:08 PM   #742
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

The Michael Crichton book The Pirate Latitudes seems to be the popular choice for our first Dis Book Club Discussion.

This book is in libraries, It's in stores. It's in the shopping clubs (Sam's, BJ's, Costco) and it's available for the Kindle. I imagine it's available for the Sony Reader and Nook (or nook) as well.

I will set up a sticky for a separate discussion thread as soon as I'm done here.

I will also make an announcement on this week's discussion show about what we are doing.

Ladies and Gentlemen....start reading.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:52 AM   #743
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

Thanks, Kevin, for selecting the title, getting us started and laying down the rules of the thread. I am looking forward to reading the book.

Wow! Every print, CD, and MP3 copy in Maine is checked out. Short waiting list, so I wil have a copy soon.
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:15 AM   #744
maroo
DIS Veteran

This is my first post on this thread, but I just had to comment on The Help.

I am from Jackson, MS and have lived here since college.

First of all, I got this book as an audiobook to keep my mind off of the drive to Disney in March. I LOVED IT! So much so that I have listened to it twice (and it is 18 hours long!)

The only thing better than the book, in my opinion, is listening to it with all of the accents - it was very well done!

It was surreal to be listening to them talk about places that I drive by daily. I have shopped at the Jitney 14 grocery for years, it is just a mile from my job. I am familiar with the hospitals, drug stores, neighborhoods that they discuss and it was so interesting to listen to them talk about them in the book.

I hate the way MS is portrayed in movies at times - like we are all back woods and are uneducated - but I loved this book. It is so rich with history.

Anyway...I just wanted to say that I love the book The Help and would recommend it in audio form, too!
maroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:17 PM   #745
georgemoe
Beverages? There were beverages?
Will always remember Norway (even if he did forget his wife)
AKA Seņor Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
The Michael Crichton book The Pirate Latitudes seems to be the popular choice for our first Dis Book Club Discussion.

This book is in libraries, It's in stores. It's in the shopping clubs (Sam's, BJ's, Costco) and it's available for the Kindle. I imagine it's available for the Sony Reader and Nook (or nook) as well.

I will set up a sticky for a separate discussion thread as soon as I'm done here.

I will also make an announcement on this week's discussion show about what we are doing.

Ladies and Gentlemen....start reading.
As the lone DIS Nookie, I can confirm it is available in epub format from Barnes & Noble for the Nook. It is also available from my local library in epub format. But I have to read it in 14 days or it disappears.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:24 PM   #746
mla1977
I dream of living in Bay Lake Tower for the rest of my life!

It is available at my local library. I may get there tonight to check it out. I may try to find the audio format for my flight though.
4/87; 12/94; 8/00: DLP; 3/02; 5/06: DLR; 5/07: AS Sports/Dolphin TR; 2/08 SoCal/DLR TR; 6/08 CR/Pop PTR, 3/09 Princess Half; August AS Movies, 1/10: Marathon Weekend ; 3/10 Princess Half; 8/10 OKW; 10/10 offsite; 12/10 Poly; 1/11 BLT/CSR/AKV; 2/11 offsite
mla1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:35 PM   #747
Sorcerer's Mickey
Earning My Ears

just a note about "The Help"

On the last Roundtable the authors name was pronounced as "Kathryn Stockton" It is actually "Katheryn Stockett".

I grew up in Jackson, MS during the '60's. We had "Help" and my Mother was in the Junior League. The book is a good read and I think of it as historical fiction. Time, places and attitudes are pretty much the way it was. I do not recall the bathroom issue and we did not have a separate one at my house. However, this was the time of separate but equal in the deep south. There was separate but not very equal and crossing the line was not taken very well.

BTW the Junior League news letter was called "The Tattler".
Sorcerer's Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:52 PM   #748
flyingcat2003
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen is a wonderful book. I am currently on the 3rd Twilight series book. I love BelleWeather by Celia Rivenbark. If you like the vampire series books, try The Vampire Diaries by L. J. Smith. I like the Odd Thomas series from Dean Koontz.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:07 PM   #749
flyingcat2003
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Another good book is My Sister's Keeper By Jodi Picoult
Old 03-01-2010, 07:16 PM   #750
KatheeME
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Would anyone be interested in reading the same book together and commenting on it (i.e. like book clubs do)? It wouldn't have to be right away. Maybe in a few weeks? We could set up a separate thread for our discussions.

Just an idea.

That's a great idea Nikki, count me in.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: