Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2010, 07:42 AM   #676
PeterPan09
bury my iPod with me, on shuffle, with headphones in my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky441 View Post
thanks for the heads up. always looking for new authors and a free Kindle book is just the icing on the cake.

I love reading books set in Florida. I don't know if you know of the Sanibel-Captiva Islands, but there is an author "Randy Wayne White" - his novels are set in that area. The books are what I would call thriller/mystery/espionage. The lead character - Doc Ford - is a Marine biologist/ex CIA local.
There is a great book about Florida called "The Land Remembered". It's historical fiction and a great read about what Florida was like way, way, way before Uncle Walt decided to bring Mickey here.
PeterPan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #677
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

Two things-

First, I just finished the book How to be Like Walt. I loved it. He talked to many many people who knew Walt and I feel like he gave a good picture. He addressed the negative comments about Walt that some have made and gave answers from people who knew him. At the end of each section he points out what characteristic Walt had that helped him succeed in each area of his life.

Second, DH got me a Kindle for Valentine's Day! What a surprise! It had my books listed that I had been reading on my Kindle app on the itouch and I downloaded The Apothecary's Daughter. Well, it got good reviews and it was free. As for my first paid book, I'm still deciding. How do you choose?!
Old 02-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #678
corky441

It's not the pace of life than concerns me... it's the sudden stop at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBudgie View Post
Two things-

First, I just finished the book How to be Like Walt. I loved it. He talked to many many people who knew Walt and I feel like he gave a good picture. He addressed the negative comments about Walt that some have made and gave answers from people who knew him. At the end of each section he points out what characteristic Walt had that helped him succeed in each area of his life.

Second, DH got me a Kindle for Valentine's Day! What a surprise! It had my books listed that I had been reading on my Kindle app on the itouch and I downloaded The Apothecary's Daughter. Well, it got good reviews and it was free. As for my first paid book, I'm still deciding. How do you choose?!
Congrats on the Kindle - you'll love it

oh and as far as what to "buy" first - my problem is what not too buy. At first every book I read a review of or heard about from someone else - I bought - instantly downloaded - it was wonderful -
Then after the first month and upon receiving that first credit card statement with all the downloads purchased on it -
well . . . needless to say I've become much more selective

Me & DH(Dino) Kelly K.C. Magoo Emmett
corky441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:45 PM   #679
Minnie&Mickey
I want to live at the Fort!

I've been reading a lot of free books on my Kindle, but decided it's time to actually pay for one. Since the Stephanie Plum books seem to be very popular and supposedly they get better with each one, I've decided to give them another try and I'm reading Two for the Dough. So far I am enjoying it a lot more than the first book in the series. I had planned on reading Dear John when I am done, but I've heard it is a real tear-jerker and I'm leaving for WDW on Wednesday, and don't want to read a sad book while I'm in the Happiest Place on Earth!

Minnie&Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:10 PM   #680
DVCsince02
Everyone knows is better

Hello.

I don't read this thread that much, but saw these free book offers and wanted to share.

http://freebies4mom.blogspot.com/201...ing-chloe.html

http://freebies4mom.blogspot.com/201...eth-white.html

DVCsince02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:34 PM   #681
tammyroo
Mouseketeer

I just got a Kindle for my birthday!! I'm so excited! My DH is great...but sneaky. We have birthdays a week apart and we never really do much....just a quiet dinner with family so this was a huge surprise.
I'll have to go back through all of the posts again to find out about freebies now.
Any tips and suggestions from Kindle pros will be greatly appreciated
tammyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:40 PM   #682
Kelliroo3
A Disney World fan

Just finished Water for Elephants. It was good, not what I expected but definitely a page turner! My roommate told me that it is going to be made into a movie starring Reese Witherspoon and Robert Pattinson. That should be interesting!
First trip to Disneyland: July 2010
First December trip: December 2011
Kelliroo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:09 PM   #683
PeterPan09

Quote:
Two things-

Thanks for the suggestion-I downloaded that today and I'm reading it now!!
Old 02-16-2010, 10:34 PM   #684
PinkBudgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammyroo View Post
I just got a Kindle for my birthday!! I'm so excited! My DH is great...but sneaky. We have birthdays a week apart and we never really do much....just a quiet dinner with family so this was a huge surprise.
I'll have to go back through all of the posts again to find out about freebies now.
Any tips and suggestions from Kindle pros will be greatly appreciated
We are Kindle newbies together! I was so surprised when I got mine because my DH is not sneaky. He always wants to tell me what he's getting me for Christmas,etc.

One thing I figured out was use the computer to check out the Kindle books. Look under "Kindle Bestsellers". Many of these are bestsellers because they are free at the moment. Not all of them stay free so if you see one that you might like, go ahead and get it.

And I'm still deciding what book to actually buy for it!

So, Peterpan09, which book did you get? The Walt one or the Apothecary's daughter?
Old 02-17-2010, 07:00 AM   #685
tammyroo
Mouseketeer

Kindle newbies

Quote:
We are Kindle newbies together! I was so surprised when I got mine because my DH is not sneaky. He always wants to tell me what he's getting me for Christmas,etc.

One thing I figured out was use the computer to check out the Kindle books. Look under "Kindle Bestsellers". Many of these are bestsellers because they are free at the moment. Not all of them stay free so if you see one that you might like, go ahead and get it.

So, Peterpan09, which book did you get? The Walt one or the Apothecary's daughter?
Well aren't we lucky to have such great husbands

Thanks for the tip. I am assuming that if they are bestsellers because they are free it doesn't necessarily mean they are good.

I am going to get through some free ones first before buying a new one.
tammyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:03 AM   #686
PeterPan09

Quote:

The Walt one...it is really good so far.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:16 PM   #687
PinkBudgie

Oh good! Not only was it interesting reading about Walt but it got me thinking about how I can use those traits in my own life.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:48 AM   #688
georgemoe
Beverages? There were beverages?
Will always remember Norway (even if he did forget his wife)
AKA Señor Jorge

Quote:
I came here looking for some inspiration on what to buy for my kindle app for my itouch. Trying to pick something is very hard! I don't know how to choose! So I then started looking up fantasy books at Amazon and ran across The Demon Awakens by one of my favorite authors RA Salvatore. And it was free! So I'm a very happy camper at the moment. I believe they offer the first book in the series for free to get you hooked to buy the rest. Works for me.
I've just gotten very interested in this thread and just noticed mention of RA Salvatore. We went to school and played hockey together growing up.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:35 PM   #689
sc9500
Hile... Gunslinger...

I've mention Im a big fan of Dean Koontz's Frankenstein trilogy -- its been announced that there will be another trilogy forthcoming and movies to follow .. Im so stoked...

As for RS Salvatore, he's written several 'star wars' novels I've enjoyed..

Deodorant people.. deodorant
sc9500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #690
stitchlover
DIS Veteran

I am reading A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick. It seems like I have been reading it forever! I usually read something in a day or two but this book just hasn't really appealed to me that much. I think I'm about 60% through now. I picked up the Kindle after not reading for at least 2-3 weeks. It appears that now maybe things are picking up and I'll be able to finish.

I am NOT a fan of scary movies but I am considering reading Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane. I really enjoyed his book Mystic River. I really have no desire to see the movie but I think I might give the book to read.

A fun little note...when I was my daughter's age (14 years old) I read the Outsiders by S.E. Hinton and absolutely loved it. Was one of my favorite books. She was required to read it for her Pre-AP Language Arts class and she just finished Wednesday night. She said when she finished she was crying and her face was red. She wasn't really into the book until about 1/3 of the way through and now she says it is the best book she has ever read. It's really neat when you see them start to be affected by books.
ASMo 2006, POFQ 2007, WL 2008, Disneyland Paradise Pier 2008, Polynesian 2009, AKL 2010, Grand Floridian 2011, DIS ABD Backstage Magic 2/11, Wilderness Lodge 2011, Beach Club 2012, DCL 2012, AKL Kidani Village 2013, ASSports 2013, Disneyland 2013, Boardwalk & Saratoga Springs 2013

[/url]
stitchlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: