Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2010, 03:43 PM   #661
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

Corky- that is a cool link, thanks. It is funny how when you read a book you really like sometimes you are still in that "mood" and want to read a similar book.

Disneyland at the Holidays, here we come!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:52 PM   #662
CDolacki2003
DIS Veteran

I just downloaded onto my Sony Reader from the library.
Oct 2014- 1 day in EPCOT
Dec 2016- planning CSR (if all goes well)
CDolacki2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #663
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

Interested in Disney books?

Here is a bibliography of books about Walt Disney World.

http://www.2719hyperion.com/2009/11/...d-history.html

How many have you read?
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #664
IHeartTink04
DIS Veteran

I just finished "Child of God" by Lolita Files and really liked it, has anyone else read it or any other her other books?
Old 02-06-2010, 08:23 PM   #665
SupercaliSal
Giggling In the Laughing Place

Please sign the petition!

I have started a petition for people who are concerned that Cast Member Confidential isn't the image of Disney that we want in the media. The cover has colorful animation that is attractive to children.

Please help me! I'm not trying to get the book banned. I just want a warning label or something, maybe wrap it in a plastic. If nothing ese it will be a message that we respect the values that Walt Disney stood for.

Please take a moment to sign up if you believe like I do that this book is harmful to the community.

http://www.petitiononline.com/CMCCM/petition.html

Thank you!
SupercaliSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #666
SugarSpice
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaFromRI View Post
Has anyone read "Dear John" ?

The movie looks really good , but I know the books are almost always better

Melissa - yes, I've read this a few years ago. In it's own right I would say that it was very good. HOWEVER - I read it next after reading The Notebook also by Nicholas Sparks. And it just couldn't hold up to how good the The Notebook was. Still a good read though and I'm sure the movie will be good too.
SugarSpice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #667
SugarSpice
Mouseketeer

Thanks to Kevin mentioning it on the podcast, I am reading Devil in the White City. I'm about 1/5 the way through it and I am already spooked from it, but totally loving it.
SugarSpice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:04 PM   #668
Tinkerkell123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupercaliSal View Post
I have started a petition for people who are concerned that Cast Member Confidential isn't the image of Disney that we want in the media. The cover has colorful animation that is attractive to children.

Please help me! I'm not trying to get the book banned. I just want a warning label or something, maybe wrap it in a plastic. If nothing ese it will be a message that we respect the values that Walt Disney stood for.

Please take a moment to sign up if you believe like I do that this book is harmful to the community.

http://www.petitiononline.com/CMCCM/petition.html

Thank you!
I do see your point! I am reading that right now and have gotten close to the end. I kind of don't want to keep going because I am pretty sure he is about to do something REALLY stupid. I sincerely hope his experience is the exception and not the rule.

Really would not want my kids reading that book just because, as I was reading this on our January cruise, everytime I saw a character I thought about that book and some of the pictures he talks about taking.

I have now moved on the MouseTrap by Kevin Yee, who so far seems to love Disney and it is helping erase some of those images burned into my head by Castmember Confidential! Still don't know if I will finish CMC...

The DaSilva's are:
Bert(DH), Kelli (DW),Alex (DD13) and Kevin(DS10)
* !!Theme Park Commandos!! WDW Commando Member # 223
My 1st cruise TR:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post35341965
Tinkerkell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:07 PM   #669
Tinkerkell123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky441 View Post
One of our local TV stations did a segment on this yesterday.

http://www.whatshouldireadnext.com

you enter a book title that you loved and it then searches it's database and returns a list of books that should give you a similar enjoyable read.
That is so awesome!! Thanks for posting that!

The DaSilva's are:
Bert(DH), Kelli (DW),Alex (DD13) and Kevin(DS10)
* !!Theme Park Commandos!! WDW Commando Member # 223
My 1st cruise TR:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post35341965
Tinkerkell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:00 AM   #670
tammyroo
Mouseketeer

Just finished Stones Into Schools by Greg Mortenson. He wrote Three Cups of Tea. If you liked the first one, you'll definitely like this one. Inspiring doesn't begin to describe it. I read it in less than 2 days. FYI...I found out in this book that Three Cups of Tea is required reading for some military personnel.
tammyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:47 PM   #671
wtlivesey
GoofyGuyInDelaware

Found a great new author, not new but new to me Tim Dorsey. His books are set in Florida, mostly the Tampa area just finishes Atomic
Lobster, it was a free download for the Kindle from Amazon. Now I'm going back and reading all his previous books now. Very funny read!!
wtlivesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:14 AM   #672
corky441

It's not the pace of life than concerns me... it's the sudden stop at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtlivesey View Post
Found a great new author, not new but new to me Tim Dorsey. His books are set in Florida, mostly the Tampa area just finishes Atomic
Lobster, it was a free download for the Kindle from Amazon. Now I'm going back and reading all his previous books now. Very funny read!!

thanks for the heads up. always looking for new authors and a free Kindle book is just the icing on the cake.

I love reading books set in Florida. I don't know if you know of the Sanibel-Captiva Islands, but there is an author "Randy Wayne White" - his novels are set in that area. The books are what I would call thriller/mystery/espionage. The lead character - Doc Ford - is a Marine biologist/ex CIA local.

Me & DH(Dino) Kelly K.C. Magoo Emmett
corky441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:33 AM   #673
mommyceratops
Covets Clown School
Kevin's best buddy (you happy now?)
Totally Addicted to DisUnplugged!

I love the kindle free books! Anyone know of ways to get free books (other than the library) I mean for the kindle or iTouch??
Old 02-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #674
AnninIowa
DIS Veteran

Hello all! I'm get getting back into reading now after vacation and the Valentine's Day rush with my business. I'm almost done with "Second Glance" by Jodi Picoult; this one was very hard to get into as there are so many characters, but it really picked up about half way through.

Next will probably be "The Shack". Who here has read it?
Old 02-15-2010, 08:41 AM   #675
PeterPan09
bury my iPod with me, on shuffle, with headphones in my ears

I finished "Cast Member Confidential", a book which I had no intention of purchasing or reading until our friend Sal decided that he was the "Book Police" and started a campaign to have it removed from the shelves. As Kevin said on another thread "Censorship is WRONG"

Now I'm reading "New York" by Edward Rutherford. I grew up in the suburbs of NYC and this book is fascinating. I like historical fiction so I think this one will be a great read.
PeterPan09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: