Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2010, 10:32 PM   #631
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmoore14 View Post
I should have never started looking at the books everyone is or was reading. I work in a bookstore and this discussion is very dangerous for me. After checking out recommendations, I think I will probally spend my paycheck at work. LMAO!!
Just because you work at a bookstore doesn't mean you can't borrow books from your local library, does it?
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:33 PM   #632
challer
Hey EPCOT! Fix the jumping fountains already!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by challer View Post
Just picked up from the library:

Building a dream: the Art of Disney Architecture, by Beth Dunlop

Anyone else read this one?
Well, I finished the book. I found it to be a bit too heavy on the architecture for the casual Disney fan, but still fascinating. After reading plenty of Disney books, especially relating to building the parks, I have found that there isn't too much new info out there. This book was different. Yes, they talk about building the castle and about forced perspective. However, in this book, I learned about Disney buildings I didn't even know existed, such as the Disney Casting building in Florida and the various hotels in Disneyland Paris. This is what kept this read an interesting one. (The book is over 10 years old, so it doesn't take into account recent additions to the Disney architecture.)

I took it out of the library, so it was well worth the money.

Now, I'm reading Supreme Injustice: How the High Court Hijacked Election 2000, by Alan M. Dershowitz. I admit that I really didn't get a grasp of what happened between Election Night 2000 and January 1st 2001 when it happened. This book has opened my eyes, and I'm fairly shocked as to what happened in this country - specifically the behavior of our Supreme Court. I find the book so far to be very heavy on the legal talk, so I get lost fairly easily, but I get the point. We'll see if I make it through. Then I'll have to pick up some light reading...

...my D23 Magazine?
Old 01-25-2010, 07:16 AM   #633
tammyroo
Mouseketeer

NikkiBell

Are those by Janet Evanovich...One For The Money etc? I have been looking at them but I remember there being a lot of books. Sounds like I should give 'em a try.

What age/grade do you teach? I'm on the last Percy Jackson now and am enjoying learning more about mythology (or at least remembering what was taught to me back in the dark ages) I read Touching Spirit Bear last year after a HS librarian recommended it. It was very good as well.
tammyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:29 AM   #634
IHeartTink04
DIS Veteran

Is there any way to browse just the free offerings on the Kindle?
Old 01-25-2010, 04:02 PM   #635
tanyabanana
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartTink04 View Post
Is there any way to browse just the free offerings on the Kindle?
There is are apps that you can download for free that will enable you to read Kindle books on your PC or an iPhone. I get a few books off of Amazon for free -I just search for free or look at the Kindle bestseller list because the free books usually end up there.
For the classics I normally get those from Project Gutenberg. I haven't played around with that site too much because I have a catalog on my Kindle to download those, but I imagine it should be fairly easy to download from there onto a PC also.
HTH!

tanyabanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:08 PM   #636
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPan09 View Post
Oh, man-I have laughed out loud at those books more than anything! Between Grandma going to everyone's funeral and the ex prostitute who always wants to shoot someone-it's just hysterical. Growing up in NJ makes it even funnier because my Grandmother went to all the funerals too! I think it's a NJ grandma thing...
I swear it's a Jerzy thing too because mine did the same dang thing! I agree growing up in NJ makes the books all the more enjoyable because you can relate so much better than someone from another state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBudgie View Post
That's funny! I will post what I thought about it when I'm done.

I also have the free Stanza app on my itouch and that one has a lot of free classics that I've been able to get. You don't have to enter any info to get the free books.
Let me know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammyroo View Post
NikkiBell

Are those by Janet Evanovich...One For The Money etc? I have been looking at them but I remember there being a lot of books. Sounds like I should give 'em a try.

What age/grade do you teach? I'm on the last Percy Jackson now and am enjoying learning more about mythology (or at least remembering what was taught to me back in the dark ages) I read Touching Spirit Bear last year after a HS librarian recommended it. It was very good as well.
Yes, those are Janey Evanovich's Stephanie Plum novels. They are getting funnier as the numbers get higher. I think they're just hysterical.

I teach fifth grade reading. My kids love the Percy Jackson books, but I have yet to read them. Apparently there's a movie coming out soon, too? I'm behind on that.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:13 AM   #637
Merry Mousketeer
I've got a lot above my ears
We never miss them when we visit DL

I finished reading Hidden Mickeys and really enjoyed it. It's a fun adventure quest book. The Epilogue is sure to delight die-hard Disney fans and rankle the Disney family. The authors are working on another Disney-themed novel and a sequel to this one. I also finished Castmember Confidential. I'm not sure what facts the author got wrong, but I was put off by his arrogant tone and his superior attitude over others. Is it true that Cast Members are not allowed to help guests with medical emergencies? It seems to me that would be a PR nightmare, not to mention the lawsuits.

I am now reading Shadow Divers by Robert Kurston. It's about divers who explore a sunken German U-boat off the coast of New Jersey.
Merry Mousketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:59 AM   #638
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Mousketeer View Post
I am now reading Shadow Divers by Robert Kurston. It's about divers who explore a sunken German U-boat off the coast of New Jersey.
I read that when it first came out and there were parts that took my breath away.

Amazing story. Enjoy.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:46 AM   #639
tanyabanana
Mouseketeer

ohh...I really liked Shadow Divers too! It was so well written, could have been confusing but wasn't at all. so good!

Old 01-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #640
corky441

It's not the pace of life than concerns me... it's the sudden stop at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Mousketeer View Post
Thanks for mentioning that book. When it first came out, it sounded really good. Figured I'd wait for the paperback to be released and then promptly forgot all about it.

Thanks to the Kindle - it has now been downloaded and in the queue for future reading

Me & DH(Dino) Kelly K.C. Magoo Emmett
corky441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:57 PM   #641
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

I'm sorry to sound naive, but what is a U-boat??

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:43 PM   #642
stitchlover
DIS Veteran

German submarines.
ASMo 2006, POFQ 2007, WL 2008, Disneyland Paradise Pier 2008, Polynesian 2009, AKL 2010, Grand Floridian 2011, DIS ABD Backstage Magic 2/11, Wilderness Lodge 2011, Beach Club 2012, DCL 2012, AKL Kidani Village 2013, ASSports 2013, Disneyland 2013, Boardwalk & Saratoga Springs 2013

[/url]
stitchlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #643
splashmountain86
Mouseketeer

U-boats are German submarines. They are most well known for their use in WWI and WWII

Spring 2004 - The Boardwalk
Summer 2008 - Walt Disney Dolphin
Spring 2009 - POP Century
Summer 2009 - Disneyland Hotel
splashmountain86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:36 PM   #644
tammyroo
Mouseketeer

Anybody read the sequel to Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson? I loved Three Cups and am looking forward to reading the sequel.
tammyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #645
tanyabanana
Mouseketeer

For those who loved Shadow Divers-- Titanic's Last Secrets: The Further Adventures of Shadow Divers by John Chatterton and Richie Kohler .Looks interesting.

And I also found a book that looks like it argues points made in Shadow Divers--Shadow Divers Exposed: the Real Saga of the U-869
by Gary Gentile.

I found both of these on Amazon. I will only be reading the first one, the 2nd is not available on Kindle.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: