Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2010, 09:59 AM   #616
hideeh
DIS Veteran

Ok, I'm done lurking on this thread and making my first post!

I finished up the Twilight series a couple weeks ago. Loved them and will probably re-read them in the future. My DH has read them all twice. He is the one that got me to give them a try!

Last weekend I finished Last Song by Nicholas Sparks. Good, light read. Until the end I cried, a lot. His books always get me.

Now I am trying to reduce the nightstand pile before I start loading a ton on my Kindle that came yesterday. (Belated Christmas gift) I am reading Wolf at the Table by Agusten Burroughs (sp?). Just like Running with Scissors, it is a train wreck that I can't put down. Nothing much to gain from it, but it doesn't make me think too hard.

My first book on my Kindle is The Help. Everyone here seemed to love it and I hope I do too.

Happy reading!

6/77-too young to remember! 6/87-offsite. 11/1996-offsite. 11/1999-CSR. 5/2001-offsite. 3/2002-offsite. 3/2003-CBR & offsite. 4/2004-POR/DCL. 2/2005-WL. 6/2005-POP. 12/2005-DCL/AS Sports. 3/2006-WL. 3/2007 WL. 5/2008-WL. 5/2009-WL. 12/2009-WL. 3/2010-POP. 5/2010-AKL.

hideeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:39 AM   #617
corky441

It's not the pace of life than concerns me... it's the sudden stop at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hideeh View Post
Ok, I'm done lurking on this thread and making my first post!

Now I am trying to reduce the nightstand pile before I start loading a ton on my Kindle that came yesterday. (Belated Christmas gift)
My first book on my Kindle is The Help. Everyone here seemed to love it and I hope I do too.

Happy reading!
You are going to love the Kindle Heidi

Make a a point of checking out all the books that are $0.00

There are a lot of lesser known writers that feature their books for the the Kindle. sometimes the $0 cost is only temporary though - so when you see one - make sure you grab it right away.

Also, I've found it easier to search the Kindle books on-line first at Amazon.com - write down the titles/authors and then go back and downlown them directly from the Kindle. I don't know if anyone has noticed, but if you download them from Amazon onto the Kindle, sometimes they cost more

Me & DH(Dino) Kelly K.C. Magoo Emmett
corky441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:27 PM   #618
hideeh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky441 View Post
You are going to love the Kindle Heidi

Make a a point of checking out all the books that are $0.00

There are a lot of lesser known writers that feature their books for the the Kindle. sometimes the $0 cost is only temporary though - so when you see one - make sure you grab it right away.

Also, I've found it easier to search the Kindle books on-line first at Amazon.com - write down the titles/authors and then go back and downlown them directly from the Kindle. I don't know if anyone has noticed, but if you download them from Amazon onto the Kindle, sometimes they cost more
Hi Marilee!! Thank you for the Kindle tips. I was pleasantly surprised that The Help was only $8.88. I was expecting $9.99. I haven't really done too much with it because I want to finish what I have started and I am waiting patiently for my Oberon cover. I ordered during their vacation break and now it is taking a bit longer for them to catch up on their orders. I am looking forward to just always having my Kindle in my purse.

We need to plan a little DIS mini meet. I'll even come up to Buffalo. PM me and we'll try to coordinate a date or two. I totally lost you at DAP after Friday morning.

6/77-too young to remember! 6/87-offsite. 11/1996-offsite. 11/1999-CSR. 5/2001-offsite. 3/2002-offsite. 3/2003-CBR & offsite. 4/2004-POR/DCL. 2/2005-WL. 6/2005-POP. 12/2005-DCL/AS Sports. 3/2006-WL. 3/2007 WL. 5/2008-WL. 5/2009-WL. 12/2009-WL. 3/2010-POP. 5/2010-AKL.

hideeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:02 PM   #619
tammyroo
Mouseketeer

I love this thread. I am always looking for book recommendations. I find I read a lot of books my kids are reading...they are 20 and 17.
Some of my favs of all time are Lord of the Rings and the Harry Potter. There are few books I'd read more than once but I've read these multiple times. Jane Austen's books are the same.

Just finished The Help and loooved it. I couldn't put it down. The ending was a bit abrupt but it was a wonderful read.

My fav book last year was probably A Walk In The Woods by Bill Bryson. Not something I would normally read but I had it an audio and at times was laughing out loud hysterically. Very, very funny and very informative too. I think I read Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson last year as well and really loved that book as well. One person really can make a difference.

Some other books I've enjoyed recently: the Percy Jackson series, Twilight series, and Kingdom Keepers and Uglies/Pretties/Specials (all children/young adult--fav was Twilight series). Creating Magic by Lee Cockerell and I really enjoyed Eat, Pray, Love when I read it a couple of years ago.
Has anyone read her second book about marriage? Would love to hear your opinion if you have.
tammyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:05 AM   #620
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Tammy, I was surprised to see Gilbert's second book at Borders last week. I had no idea she was getting married partially because I stopped reading the book abotu 3/4 of the way in. I really, really tried to finish it, but just couldn't.

I'm currently reading the fourth Stephanie Plum novel. It's having me laugh out loud.

My students love the Percy Jackson series. They're devouring them by the second right now.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:08 AM   #621
*NikkiBell*

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBudgie View Post
Now I'm currently reading How to Be Like Walt: Capturing Disney Magic Every Day of Your Life It was another Christmas present. It goes through the ups and downs of his life and then stops to point out what made him successful in each section of his life. So far, I like it.
I got this book as a present recently too, but have not started it yet. I'm glad to hear that it is good!

Follow Me on Twitter

2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
Old 01-23-2010, 05:32 PM   #622
tanyabanana
Mouseketeer

I have been reading free classics on my Kindle like crazy the past couple weeks. There are many that I have never read so I am enjoying discovering them. I just finished Swiss Family Robinson.. different than I thought it would be but I did enjoy it. Currently reading The Scarlet Letter. Not sure how I feel about this one yet. On my upcoming list is Wuthering Heights and Les Miserables.
I have tons of books loaded on my Kindle (over 80--they add up fast! )--I was getting overwhelmed so decided to get some of the classics read before I buy any more.

tanyabanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:46 AM   #623
*NikkiBell*

DISboards Moderator

I noticed that most of the classics are free on the Kindle App for iPhone. That is a nice treat. I have a few downloaded just in case I need something one day.

Follow Me on Twitter

Old 01-24-2010, 05:27 PM   #624
CBisMe
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyabanana View Post
I have been reading free classics on my Kindle like crazy the past couple weeks. There are many that I have never read so I am enjoying discovering them. I just finished Swiss Family Robinson.. different than I thought it would be but I did enjoy it. Currently reading The Scarlet Letter. Not sure how I feel about this one yet. On my upcoming list is Wuthering Heights and Les Miserables.
I have tons of books loaded on my Kindle (over 80--they add up fast! )--I was getting overwhelmed so decided to get some of the classics read before I buy any more.
I don't have a Kindle..yet - but I am reading the classics. I'm halfway done with Treasure Island. It's so good! I'm going to read another classic after that. I think 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I'm trying to hold out until Apple makes an announce on their new product before I get a Kindle- hoping the new Apple product can read books on it plus more!
CBisMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:45 PM   #625
*NikkiBell*

DISboards Moderator

I just got done reading Janet Evanovich's fourth book for a few hours. I am finding this one funnier than the other three. There's this hysterical scene where the main character (a very, very inexperience bounty hunter from Trenton, NJ), an ex-prostitute, a drag queen, and an 80 something year old lady go on a chase in Atlantic City. I nearly fell off of the bed laughing so hard at how it went down.

I've heard that her books get funnier as you work your way up the series. I'm loving every second!

Follow Me on Twitter

Old 01-24-2010, 05:52 PM   #626
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
I got this book as a present recently too, but have not started it yet. I'm glad to hear that it is good!
That's funny! I will post what I thought about it when I'm done.

I also have the free Stanza app on my itouch and that one has a lot of free classics that I've been able to get. You don't have to enter any info to get the free books.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:08 PM   #627
PeterPan09
bury my iPod with me, on shuffle, with headphones in my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
I just got done reading Janet Evanovich's fourth book for a few hours. I am finding this one funnier than the other three. There's this hysterical scene where the main character (a very, very inexperience bounty hunter from Trenton, NJ), an ex-prostitute, a drag queen, and an 80 something year old lady go on a chase in Atlantic City. I nearly fell off of the bed laughing so hard at how it went down.

I've heard that her books get funnier as you work your way up the series. I'm loving every second!
Oh, man-I have laughed out loud at those books more than anything! Between Grandma going to everyone's funeral and the ex prostitute who always wants to shoot someone-it's just hysterical. Growing up in NJ makes it even funnier because my Grandmother went to all the funerals too! I think it's a NJ grandma thing...
PeterPan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:39 PM   #628
nmoore14
Is there life outside of Disney? If so, I don't want to know about it.

I am currently reading books by JR Ward. She is a paranormal romance author, but the stories are excellent. Also, I am reading White Guilt by Shelby Steele. I am reading it for an education class I am taking. Also, for the same class I am reading A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer. This book is about child abuse and will piss you off, but I can't put it down. This man went through some serious abuse and was able to overcome what happened to him to become successful. Excellent book about resiliency.
nmoore14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:45 PM   #629
nmoore14
Is there life outside of Disney? If so, I don't want to know about it.

I should have never started looking at the books everyone is or was reading. I work in a bookstore and this discussion is very dangerous for me. After checking out recommendations, I think I will probally spend my paycheck at work. LMAO!!
nmoore14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:24 PM   #630
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmoore14 View Post
A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer. This book is about child abuse and will piss you off, but I can't put it down. This man went through some serious abuse and was able to overcome what happened to him to become successful. Excellent book about resiliency.
Books by Pelzer are extremely popular with the high school students who use the public library where I work. I found the descriptions of abuse too difficult to read.

Why are these books so popular with the kids? Is it because they identify, because they are in similar situations? Or is his life so bad that it makes their own lives seem not so bad?
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: