Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2010, 01:31 PM   #601
solar
DIS Veteran

thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmonkeyruns View Post
I'm so glad you posted that AJ Jacobs has a new book! I loved both of his earlier books...
...and i'm glad to hear you loved his other books! I'm going to grab one or both!

My blog ---> DebRunning.com
solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:54 PM   #602
Kelliroo3
A Disney World fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutes View Post
I just read The Pact last month and really enjoyed it! It's a typical, quick JP book! Let us know what you think of it when you're finished!
I really enjoyed The Pact. It was really shocking at times, which I liked. I felt bad for the characters and how torn apart the two families became. I want to read another Picoult, just not sure which one to read next. My goal was to finish it before I went back to college which I was able to! Not sure when I'll be able to read next though

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegal View Post
A good example of children's literature being great reads. Engaging story, well written. A quick and enjoyable read.

Also by Lois Lowry, similar to The Giver, try Gathering Blue and The Messenger.
Thanks! I'll be sure to add those to my ever growing list of books to read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPan09 View Post
I loved "The Chocolate War" as a tween and loved it even more when I read it again as an adult. I love going back and re-reading books I read as a teenager now, I get so much out of them.
Going back to re-read books is enjoyable...I just wish I had more time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solar View Post
KELLY!!!! No surprise I'll bet - it's on my reading list! I kid you not! (<<my incredibly smart, gorgeous, and sweet cousin!)

I finished Cast Member Confidential last week - read like 50% fiction, 50% memoir...

I'm reading - The Guinea Pig Diaries (A.J. Jacobs) right now and really enjoying it....on my new Kindle! I'm thinking I'm going to pick up his other books later as well, since I'm enjoying his writing style.
AHH Debbie! I know I shouldn't be surprised that you have The Giver on your to be read pile....so weird! It's a good book, quick and easy read.

The three books I have lined up to read next are
-The Help
-Thirteen Reasons Why
-Don't Sweat the Small Stuff (perfect for college stressors haha).

Just not sure when I'll actually be able to read!
First trip to Disneyland: July 2010
First December trip: December 2011
Kelliroo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:03 PM   #603
IHeartTink04
DIS Veteran

I just finished reading Firefly Lane and I loved it!

I liked it much better than Best Friends Forever. I didn't like it at all.

It was weird how they were kind of similar but Firefly Lane was much better!
Old 01-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #604
EeyoreEma
DIS Veteran

I just started The Help today, and I'm loving it so far.
EeyoreEma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:17 PM   #605
kamms
Earning My Ears

Just finished reading a great book called "The Last Stand of Fox Company" about a company of Marines in the Korean War at the Battle of the Chosin Reservoir.

Currently reading "The Lost Battalion" about a group of American soldiers during WWI and their courageous stand against overwhelming odds. What can I say, I'm in a military history mood right now.
kamms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #606
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

Ok, I'm going to "admit" what I just got through reading. DH got me the first three books in the Twilight series for Christmas. Before the movie came out I was not interested in them, I thought they sounded silly. But DH put the movie on our Netflix list and I was surprised that I liked it. So, I ended up reading all three books in about two weeks. They were a light, easy read and I enjoyed them. Much different from what I usually read.

Now I'm currently reading How to Be Like Walt: Capturing Disney Magic Every Day of Your Life It was another Christmas present. It goes through the ups and downs of his life and then stops to point out what made him successful in each section of his life. So far, I like it.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:10 PM   #607
stitchlover
DIS Veteran

Ok...you are going to read the 4th book right? I personally wa not a fan of the movie but found the books a light, enjoyable read. You need to read the final one!
stitchlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:15 PM   #608
Karebear6505
Earning My Ears

I am currently reading 3 books right now. First, my mom and I are reading Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer. I can't say enough about this book. We have completely changed the way we eat and EVERYONE should read this book!!! We are half way through (its difficult finding time to read together, she works 80 hrs a week and I'm away at college, only home on weekends). But we're hooked and it is FASCINATING!!!!

I just started the Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls and I am hooked and I've only read the first twenty pages!

I am also slowly reading the The Vampire Diaries: The Fury and Dark Reunion by L.J. Smith. I read the first one The Vampire Diaries: The Awakening and The Struggle and really liked it also I love the television series.

I just got done reading High on Arrival by Mackenzie Phillips. It was excellent! It was interesting from beginning to end!!
Karebear6505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:20 PM   #609
Kelliroo3
A Disney World fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartTink04 View Post
I just finished reading Firefly Lane and I loved it!

I liked it much better than Best Friends Forever. I didn't like it at all.

It was weird how they were kind of similar but Firefly Lane was much better!
I have Firefly Lane added to my "To Be Read" Pile! Is it a quick read?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karebear6505 View Post
I am currently reading 3 books right now. First, my mom and I are reading Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer. I can't say enough about this book. We have completely changed the way we eat and EVERYONE should read this book!!! We are half way through (its difficult finding time to read together, she works 80 hrs a week and I'm away at college, only home on weekends). But we're hooked and it is FASCINATING!!!!

I just started the Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls and I am hooked and I've only read the first twenty pages!

I am also slowly reading the The Vampire Diaries: The Fury and Dark Reunion by L.J. Smith. I read the first one The Vampire Diaries: The Awakening and The Struggle and really liked it also I love the television series.

I just got done reading High on Arrival by Mackenzie Phillips. It was excellent! It was interesting from beginning to end!!
Awesome Karen =) You'll love Glass Castle!
First trip to Disneyland: July 2010
First December trip: December 2011
Kelliroo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:28 AM   #610
solar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karebear6505 View Post
I loved this book, and couldn't put it down!

My blog ---> DebRunning.com
solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:21 AM   #611
PeterPan09
bury my iPod with me, on shuffle, with headphones in my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBudgie View Post
Ok, I'm going to "admit" what I just got through reading. DH got me the first three books in the Twilight series for Christmas. Before the movie came out I was not interested in them, I thought they sounded silly. But DH put the movie on our Netflix list and I was surprised that I liked it. So, I ended up reading all three books in about two weeks. They were a light, easy read and I enjoyed them. Much different from what I usually read.

Now I'm currently reading How to Be Like Walt: Capturing Disney Magic Every Day of Your Life It was another Christmas present. It goes through the ups and downs of his life and then stops to point out what made him successful in each section of his life. So far, I like it.
I'm glad you made the confession safe! A friend of mine talked me into reading "Twlight" and I started it last night. The Kindle version was cheap enough to allow me to buy it without guilt. I was shocked how much I was enjoying it-I stayed up later than I planned reading it actually. I haven't seen the movie or anything, but the book is a fun light read.
PeterPan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #612
Samar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I haven't seen the movie or anything, but the book is a fun light read.

A word of advice, don't go into the movie with super high expectations after reading the books, especially the first one. I did and was sorely disappointed at the cheese-factor lol

****I'm currently reading All Together Dead by Charlaine Harris. I'm am loving this series (True Blood) for the wittiness and quick-read.

99- ASMu 00- Off 01- Off 03- Off (mom's house) 05-Off (mom's) 06- Off Dec/Jan 08- High Point World Resort and The Palms Hotel and Villas AKL-Jambo July, 2010 POR August 2012 Disney Dream- 1st cruise! Sept 2013
Samar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #613
CBisMe
Earning My Ears

Hello everyone. One of my new year's resolutions was to stop being a lurker on the boards, and start posting more! I'm so exited about this thread

Currently reading: No Shortcut to the Top:Climbing the World's 14 Highest Peaks, by Ed Viesturs. Great read. Covers Mt. Everest among others.

I have a question. I'm looking for books where the story is based inside one of the theme parks. The one I really like is called "Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom". Besides that and the Kingdom Keepers books, I don't know of any others? Does anyone know of any other books that take place in one of the parks?
CBisMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:07 PM   #614
Thumper_Man's Wife
DIS Veteran

Where to start...I just finished Dear John by Nicholas Sparks which I have to say I was timid to read in the beginning only because it wasn't that thick of a book...this is where the theory of "Don't judge a book by it's cover" sort of comes into play. The book was amazing. I loved it. It was heart-wrenching and funny and serious and to me it was just good!

Before that I read Deception Point by Dan Brown. I thought it was decent. I got into the Robert Langdon character when I read some of the other more popular books from Brown and so it took me a while to get used to the fact that there was no Langdon in this one. But all in all it still had great research and made you feel like you were right there the whole time.

I'm currently reading the Sookie Stackhouse series so that may take a while...

Thumping Our Way Through Disneyland

We Hopped All The Way To Disneyland Just For Some Dis Meets
Thumper_Man's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:53 PM   #615
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlover View Post
Ok...you are going to read the 4th book right? I personally wa not a fan of the movie but found the books a light, enjoyable read. You need to read the final one!
Well, I can't stop now! My DH only got me the first three because they were on sale. The 4th one wasn't!

Quote:
I'm glad you made the confession safe! A friend of mine talked me into reading "Twlight" and I started it last night. The Kindle version was cheap enough to allow me to buy it without guilt. I was shocked how much I was enjoying it-I stayed up later than I planned reading it actually. I haven't seen the movie or anything, but the book is a fun light read.
I found myself staying up late reading too! Often I couldn't sleep after reading it because I was busy wondering what would happen next! I am hoping for a Kindle for Valentine's Day so maybe I'll get the 4th one on that- if I have one. I've dropped serious hints!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samar View Post
A word of advice, don't go into the movie with super high expectations after reading the books, especially the first one. I did and was sorely disappointed at the cheese-factor lol

****I'm currently reading All Together Dead by Charlaine Harris. I'm am loving this series (True Blood) for the wittiness and quick-read.
My orignal plan was to see the movies first, then read the book after. Because we all know the book is always better. So I read the first book because I had already seen the movie. I then couldn't stop myself! I just had to keep reading! Like I said, I was completely surprised that I liked these. I don't care for "chick" books or "chick" movies. I'm an action girl but these had plenty of action to keep me happy. I guess they are my "guilty pleasure".

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: