Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2009, 11:04 PM   #241
willis37862
Captain Jack is still my fave JD character
My drool bucket over runth
Stalking pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaleficentRules View Post
I have a terrible habit of reading several books at the same time. Currently, I'm re-reading Eat, Pray, Love (for the fourth time because it's so darn good), Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett, Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris, and Being in Balance by Wayne Dyer.

Keep this thread going - I love hearing about new books! I have already gotten titles to check out from people's suggestions! Thanks!
My DH is HUGE Terry Pratchett fan I haven't read any of his books but my DH has read most of them and a couple he has read twice.

They can't hit ya ~ Bob Varley
Nichole
willis37862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:11 AM   #242
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

Elizabeth Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaleficentRules View Post
Currently, I'm re-reading Eat, Pray, Love (for the fourth time because it's so darn good)

Look for her new book due out next January.

Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage

Product Description
At the end of her bestselling memoir Eat, Pray, Love, Elizabeth Gilbert fell in love with Felipe, a Brazilian-born man of Australian citizenship who’d been living in Indonesia when they met. Resettling in America, the couple swore eternal fidelity to each other, but also swore to never, ever, under any circumstances get legally married. (Both were survivors of previous horrific divorces. Enough said.) But providence intervened one day in the form of the United States government, which—after unexpectedly detaining Felipe at an American border crossing—gave the couple a choice: they could either get married, or Felipe would never be allowed to enter the country again. Having been effectively sentenced to wed, Gilbert tackled her fears of marriage by delving into this topic completely, trying with all her might to discover through historical research, interviews, and much personal reflection what this stubbornly enduring old institution actually is. Told with Gilbert’s trademark wit, intelligence and compassion, Committed attempts to “turn on all the lights” when it comes to matrimony, frankly examining questions of compatibility, infatuation, fidelity, family tradition, social expectations, divorce risks and humbling responsibilities. Gilbert’s memoir is ultimately a clear-eyed celebration of love with all the complexity and consequence that real love, in the real world, actually entails.
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:04 AM   #243
corky441

It's not the pace of life than concerns me... it's the sudden stop at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegal View Post
Look for her new book due out next January.

Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage

Product Description
At the end of her bestselling memoir Eat, Pray, Love, Elizabeth Gilbert fell in love with Felipe, a Brazilian-born man of Australian citizenship who’d been living in Indonesia when they met. Resettling in America, the couple swore eternal fidelity to each other, but also swore to never, ever, under any circumstances get legally married. (Both were survivors of previous horrific divorces. Enough said.) But providence intervened one day in the form of the United States government, which—after unexpectedly detaining Felipe at an American border crossing—gave the couple a choice: they could either get married, or Felipe would never be allowed to enter the country again. Having been effectively sentenced to wed, Gilbert tackled her fears of marriage by delving into this topic completely, trying with all her might to discover through historical research, interviews, and much personal reflection what this stubbornly enduring old institution actually is. Told with Gilbert’s trademark wit, intelligence and compassion, Committed attempts to “turn on all the lights” when it comes to matrimony, frankly examining questions of compatibility, infatuation, fidelity, family tradition, social expectations, divorce risks and humbling responsibilities. Gilbert’s memoir is ultimately a clear-eyed celebration of love with all the complexity and consequence that real love, in the real world, actually entails.
Sounds wonderful - I'm adding it to my "gotta remember these" list. I've not read the previous book though... will I be lost picking up the story where it left off? then again- I might as well load that one into my Kindle too.

Me & DH(Dino) Kelly K.C. Magoo Emmett
corky441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:19 PM   #244
robind
DIS Veteran

Anybody read anything by Lilith Saintcrow - eBooks is offering Night Shift, book 1 of her Jill Kismet series for $1, I'm wondering if it/she is any good?

Probably can't pass up the price.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:29 AM   #245
adsrtw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robind View Post
Anybody read anything by Lilith Saintcrow - eBooks is offering Night Shift, book 1 of her Jill Kismet series for $1, I'm wondering if it/she is any good?

Probably can't pass up the price.
FWIW, I like her writing style.

Just finished 2 books by Alexis Morgan - Dark Warrior Unleashed & Dark Warrior Unbroken. Hubba Hubba, I like.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:53 PM   #246
Reifsy
Mouseketeer

I have finished a couple of books recently. The first was Fluke by Christopher Moore. In typical Christopher Moore fashion it was a very strange story, but also very humorous and entertaining.

The other book was Lords Of The Bow by Conn Iggulden. This was a fictional story based on historical fact about the Mongol invasion of China. It follows the rise of the Mongol empire led by Ghengis Kahn and his brothers. It was a really good book if you find that sort of thing interesting. I didn't realize it was part of a series when I got it so now I must go back and get the other two books.
Reifsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:06 PM   #247
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

I just thought I'd check in and let everyone know how I am doing with The Graveyard Book. I must admit that it is not catching my attention as much as I thought it would. The beginning started out very intense, but then really slowed down for awhile. I'm planning on finishing it, but am also reading another teaching book at the moment. I have a bunch others lined up as well thanks to the clearance section at B & N. They had two Janet Evanovich novels for only $3.98 each!!!!!

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:45 AM   #248
corky441

It's not the pace of life than concerns me... it's the sudden stop at the end.

Hi Group

I have a couple new books that I've just added to the "reading queue"

"Homer & Langley: a novel" by E.L.Doctorow
and
"This is where I leave you" by Jonathan Tropper

both were samples I tried from the Kindle store & I think both are going to be good reads.

Also - For all you Kindle readers that have read "the List" - this really had me laughing last evening.... A friend of mine suggested I start watching "Flipping Out" on Bravo - so I settled in last night to watch and low & behold the one carpenter's name is "VLAD" - he was putting up 2x4's last night - I now have a visual face reference for that character -

Me & DH(Dino) Kelly K.C. Magoo Emmett
corky441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #249
catycatcat4
i am great at speling. and grammer
i got a pet zombie his name is zombie

Do any of you guys use netlibrary.com ?
Old 09-02-2009, 12:24 PM   #250
DVCsince02
Everyone knows is better

Hi all! I love to read, my problem is finding the time. Three little ones keep me hopping, so I mostly read just before bed. Just started Wednesday Letters by Jason F. Wright.

DVCsince02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #251
aggielawyer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by catycatcat4 View Post
I used to, but I moved and my new library doesn't use it. I loved it though.

BC 2/12 * Pop 2/11 * Pop 9/09 * BC 12/08 * BC 12/99

aggielawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #252
robertgp124
DIS Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by catycatcat4 View Post
My wife uses it sometimes. Her iPod does not like it, so she primarily listens on the computer. Selection is okay - it's particularly good for older titles.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:21 PM   #253
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

My library consortium offers downloadable audiobooks from Overdrive. But not enough are iPod compatible.
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:02 PM   #254
willis37862
Captain Jack is still my fave JD character
My drool bucket over runth
Stalking pirate

I finished Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow. It was pretty good , not what I had expected though. Walt Disney meets the future..very sci-fi

Then I read The Ghost and the Dead man's Library by Alice Kimberly . This is the first one in this mystery series I have read....I liked it a lot and I plan to find the rest of the books in this series. It was a good quick read.

I am reading Mousejunkies! Tips, Tales, and Tricks for a DISNEY WORLD Fix by Bill Burke. I am about half way through. It's a pretty good read and a disney fix . I wouldn't recommend it for a travel guide but it has some interesting Disney trip stories in it.

They can't hit ya ~ Bob Varley
Nichole
willis37862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #255
sc9500
Hile... Gunslinger...

Just finished the last book of The Dark Tower - Stephen King ... sigh ..

Started Kingdom Keepers w/ my daughter..

Deodorant people.. deodorant
sc9500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: