Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #211
Decorated_Dust
Live from the Magical World within my brain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
I'm currently in the middle of the Freedom Writers Diary. Anyone read this?
I saw the movie. It was okay, but unlike many movies, it did not drive me to read the book. I avoided reading the book because I thought the title had a lot of nerve. I would be happy to if I found out it was good, though. Let us know how it is.

"Sometimes I go into my own little world, but it's okay. They know me there." - Joel Hodgson

Facebook

Twitter
Decorated_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #212
AnninIowa
DIS Veteran

The Help

I am half-way through "The Help" (on my Kindle, which I love, love, love!!) and it is fabulous! I highly recommend it to anyone!!

http://www.amazon.com/Help-Kathryn-S...0817998&sr=8-1
AnninIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:41 PM   #213
kafitty
yep, that almost sent snot flying out of my nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegal View Post
I didn't know there was a genre called distopian fiction until I realized that was what I was reading! I don't think I like science fiction. But I like books set in the future when the future didn't go quite right.
i didn't realize it was a specific genre!! thanks for all the recommendations, they totally sound intriguing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegal View Post
Could it be that distopian books make life today seem "not so bad"?!
hahaha quite possibly, but isn't it frightening when you think, "Heyy that sounds kinda familiar..."

"I believe in naps."
kafitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:54 PM   #214
jake2
Earning My Ears

Talking Book Club

I am also reading the Jen Lancaster book Bitter is the New Black. I am a slow reader so I started it on the cruise and took it on my trip a couple of weeks ago and I am loving it. It is an easy fun read, nothing heavy. I am from Chicago and it is based in Chicago so it is fun to relate to what she is writing about.
jake2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:36 PM   #215
princessbride6205
DIS Veteran

Currently reading: Water for Elephants
Just finished: Chasing Harry Winston - I enjoyed this enough for a fluff book, but not really enough to recommend
Someone else mentioned this, but I can't recommend Three Cups of Tea highly enough. The subtitle is, "One man's mission to promote peace...one school at a time." An American builds schools in poor areas of Pakistan and now Afghanistan, too.
I also loved Pillars of the Earth - I was so invested in those characters. I got it from the library, but I think I may have to purchase it. I've added World Without End to my library hold queue. If you like Ken Follett, check out these: A Place Called Freedom and Lie Down with Lions. I enjoyed these, but they are a little more fluff/summer reading historical fiction than POTE.

It's been awhile since I've read them, but the Kent Family Chronicles by John Jakes are great American Historical Fiction. 8 books in the series spanning several generations . Originally published 30+ years ago - I'll bet any library has at least some of them.

I really liked Good Book by David Plotz and A Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs. Good Book is sort of like Cliffs Notes for the Old Testament and the latter is just a really interesting read. These can be enjoyed by anyone, I think. I'm not really religious, but my parents are, and we all liked these.
2013 WDW Marathon * 2013 Dumbo Double Dare / Coast to Coast! * 2013 Wine & Dine
2014 WDW Half * 2014 Glass Slipper * Next up: 2015 Goofy!
princessbride6205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:09 PM   #216
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbride6205 View Post

It's been awhile since I've read them, but the Kent Family Chronicles by John Jakes are great American Historical Fiction. 8 books in the series spanning several generations . Originally published 30+ years ago - I'll bet any library has at least some of them.
OH, NO!!!

I also enjoyed the Kent Family Chronicles very much. But I just recently got rid of my personal copies. They has been just sitting on my shelf for so many years, so I finally re-read them and let them go.

And as for a library having them... you do know that libraries have to constantly withdraw older, low circulating books in order to make room for new ones?
Because they were my personal favorites, they survived many cycles of weeding, long after no one was taking them out. But finally, I had to bite the bullet and send them to the used book sale. I was so disappointed that no one bought them!
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:12 PM   #217
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

While I have been absent from this discission lately......I just want y'all to know that I havent disappeared.

I'm paying attention and making notes regarding the great books I might be missing.

I'm down....but not out of the game.

I will be back.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:22 PM   #218
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

Good to hear from you, Kevin.

Keep on Kindlin!
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:27 PM   #219
catycatcat4
i am great at speling. and grammer
i got a pet zombie his name is zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
While I have been absent from this discission lately......I just want y'all to know that I havent disappeared.

I'm paying attention and making notes regarding the great books I might be missing.

I will be back.

Add Maximum Ride to the list that series i epic!
Old 08-22-2009, 10:34 PM   #220
willis37862
Captain Jack is still my fave JD character
My drool bucket over runth
Stalking pirate

I finished the Prestige..which I loved So much better than the movie!

Next up is Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow. It has been on my Amazon wishlist for awhile now but the other day in Borders my DH comes over and says this looks like something you would like. That's why I love him If you can't be at WDW the next best thing is reading about it!

They can't hit ya ~ Bob Varley
Nichole
willis37862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:35 PM   #221
willis37862
Captain Jack is still my fave JD character
My drool bucket over runth
Stalking pirate

Quote:

I will be back.

A promise and a threat I like it

Hang in there!

They can't hit ya ~ Bob Varley
Nichole
willis37862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:56 PM   #222
Carolinagal

Mouseketeer

Great to hear from you!

Quote:

I will be back.

Hi Kevin -

Hope you are doing well! On your suggestion, I ordered a bunch of the David Koenig books on Disneyland and Disneyworld through Half.com. While I heart my Kindle more than is probably healthy - I didn't want to miss any pictures.

I am also reading The List, and enjoying it very much, so thanks again for the suggestion

Visit my Disney blog HERE
Carolinagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:54 PM   #223
corky441

It's not the pace of life than concerns me... it's the sudden stop at the end.

OMG - I have been missing so much on the boards these past days. Work has been hell-ish and it seems that every spare moment of my time has been occupied with something other than what I want and/or need....

One really good thing though - - - I ordered my Kindle-2 and it should be delivered this week.

I've already been getting books in anticipation of the big day. They are patiently waiting to be sent to my Kindle as soon as it arrives. I only wish I could wait as patiently

Me & DH(Dino) Kelly K.C. Magoo Emmett
corky441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:47 PM   #224
AnninIowa
DIS Veteran

I have finished "The Help" - it is so good, you must read it!!!

Now I am reading "Songs of the Humpback Whale" by Jodi Picoult. This was her first book, and it isn't as strong as her following books. Still, I want to read all of them, so glad I am reading this.
AnninIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:13 PM   #225
Decorated_Dust
Live from the Magical World within my brain...

I just finished The Cider House Rules and I am convinced John Irving is one of the greatest writers of the twentieth century! It was definitely not for the faint of heart, but it made me think about important issues. I did not change my mind, but I did think. I still like A Prayer for Owen Meany better, though.

I need some help deciding what's next on the docket. Should I go through with reading The Pillars of the Earth? Should I finally start the Harry Potter series? Should I delve into G. K. Chesterton? I am trying to see which one would be the best counter to a new job in the mental health field.

Did I mention I love this thread!!! I love to see what people are reading, hence why I post way more than I have to. I love books in the worst way.

"Sometimes I go into my own little world, but it's okay. They know me there." - Joel Hodgson

Facebook

Twitter
Decorated_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: