Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2009, 05:25 AM   #196
tanyabanana
Mouseketeer

yeah for the sticky status!!
I finished Honolulu by Alan Brennert
A fairly good read about a Korean woman that travels to Honolulu as a 'picture bride'. Wasn't as in love with this book as Moloka'i by the same author, but I would recommend it.
Next up was White House Nannies by Barbara Kline. Have to say I didn't really like it too much. I thought it would be funnier and more light hearted but it was focused on how hard it was to match nanny to family.
Now reading Let the Great World Spin by Colum Mccann. So far really good. This was a freebie off of Oprah and I didn't know what to expect but I am up at almost 330 am and taking a break from reading it if that tells you anything.
I love this thread and enjoy hearing what others are reading.

tanyabanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:31 AM   #197
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

Film - similar topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyabanana View Post
I finished Honolulu by Alan Brennert
A fairly good read about a Korean woman that travels to Honolulu as a 'picture bride'. Wasn't as in love with this book as Moloka'i by the same author, but I would recommend it.
I know this isn't a book / movie club, but...

Picture Bride, a film from 1995 is a similar story. A young city woman leaves Japan in 1918 for the Hawaiian cane fields to marry a man she has never met. Adjustment is difficult, but eventually she finds love & friendship.
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:21 AM   #198
evildiva
Reading "Twilight Series" has produced unhealthy expectations in men.

I just finished The Time Traveler's Wife such a great book! Very romantic and bittersweet. Now I am actually a little nervous to see the movie for fear that they will ruin the book.

June 1990 Grovsners, April 1995 Magic Music Days (Kissime), April 1997 Magic Music Days (Kissime), July 1997 Cocoa Beach, May 1999 Daytona, November 2005 Pop Century, Apirl - May 2007 Pop Century, September 2008 Pop Century, April 2009 Pop Century (solo), October 2009 All Star Sports (solo), December 2009 Pop Century, April 2010 Pop Century 30th B-Day Trip, October 2010 Pop Century, December 2010 Boardwalk Inn/Podcast Cruise/Beach Club, October 2011 Pop Century, December 2011 Pop Century Solo Disapalooza, November 2013 Pop Century Jingle Jungle 5k, Sept/Oct 2014 Port Orleans French Quarter

evildiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #199
corky441

It's not the pace of life than concerns me... it's the sudden stop at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMommy View Post
Tonight I'm going to start The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry.
From the publisher: "When she was a young woman, Roseanne McNulty was one of the most beautiful and beguiling girls in County Sligo, Ireland. Now, she is a patient at Roscommon Regional Mental Hospital, and nearing her hundredth year..."
Ooooooooooooo - that sounds good. Guess i have another to add to the even growing list

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildiva View Post
I just finished The Time Traveler's Wife such a great book! Very romantic and bittersweet. Now I am actually a little nervous to see the movie for fear that they will ruin the book.
So often that happens to me - I read a book and my mental pictures of people & places is so real to me, that when the movie comes out it's hard to see it through some director's eyes.

Me & DH(Dino) Kelly K.C. Magoo Emmett
corky441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:58 PM   #200
willis37862
Captain Jack is still my fave JD character
My drool bucket over runth
Stalking pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky441 View Post

So often that happens to me - I read a book and my mental pictures of people & places is so real to me, that when the movie comes out it's hard to see it through some director's eyes.
I know what you mean. The movie seldom lives up to the book Speaking of book/movie tie-ins....I am reading The Prestige by Christopher Priest and so far I like the book better

They can't hit ya ~ Bob Varley
Nichole
willis37862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:26 PM   #201
lttlmc3
You can ship it. I'll still eat it
If I were a ghost, I would def. stay at WDW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catycatcat4 View Post
Any one read 13 reasons why i read it towords the end of the school year it was such a popluar book at school it was all most impossible to get it from the library.
Sorry, I just saw this post. I wrote about it in the beginning of this thread. Great book.
lttlmc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:17 PM   #202
AnninIowa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaFromRI View Post
I just started "Julie & Julia" last night and I LOVE the first 2 chapters so far
I finished this two days ago - it was very good EXCEPT for the overuse of the "F" word and, for me, the Republican bashing. Hey, Republicans have feelings, too!

The book definintely made me want to eat at Chefs de France next time we're at WDW!!
AnninIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:41 PM   #203
mainegal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaFromRI View Post
I just started "Julie & Julia" last night and I LOVE the first 2 chapters so far
At my library, someone recently checked out Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child.

My guess, it was because of the movie, no the book Julie and Julia that has been on the shelf for four years!

Or, maybe the patron just wanted to cook...
Old 08-19-2009, 08:40 AM   #204
Plutes
Mouseketeer

Okay, I can't stand it...I've tried - I've REALLY tried.

I'm giving up on Lord of the Rings. That book was just killing me

I'm almost finished with the first book, but I'm not even going to wrap that one up. If I don't put it down soon, I'm going to get out of my reading mode and not go back for weeks!! I usually HATE to just give up on something, even when I'm not enjoying it, but this is just NOT my kind of book.

So, yes, I admit it...Tolkien has defeated me. THANK GOODNESS!!!

I think I'm going with The Time Traveler's Wife next, like I had originally planned. Just have to download it to my Kindle...

Plutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:20 AM   #205
evildiva
Reading "Twilight Series" has produced unhealthy expectations in men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutes View Post

I'm almost finished with the first book, but I'm not even going to wrap that one up. If I don't put it down soon, I'm going to get out of my reading mode and not go back for weeks!! I usually HATE to just give up on something, even when I'm not enjoying it, but this is just NOT my kind of book.

I think I'm going with The Time Traveler's Wife next, like I had originally planned. Just have to download it to my Kindle...
FYI...as of a few weeks ago Time Travelers Wife was not available on Kindle. I used my Borders Bucks to order it that way. Bought the first two Vampire Diaries at the same time for the same reason. Kindle has the last two but not the first two from that series.

PS: I my Kindle.

June 1990 Grovsners, April 1995 Magic Music Days (Kissime), April 1997 Magic Music Days (Kissime), July 1997 Cocoa Beach, May 1999 Daytona, November 2005 Pop Century, Apirl - May 2007 Pop Century, September 2008 Pop Century, April 2009 Pop Century (solo), October 2009 All Star Sports (solo), December 2009 Pop Century, April 2010 Pop Century 30th B-Day Trip, October 2010 Pop Century, December 2010 Boardwalk Inn/Podcast Cruise/Beach Club, October 2011 Pop Century, December 2011 Pop Century Solo Disapalooza, November 2013 Pop Century Jingle Jungle 5k, Sept/Oct 2014 Port Orleans French Quarter

evildiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:38 AM   #206
Terk-1
Cinderella's Castle is My 2nd Home!! Only 1,302.5 miles from the Magic Kingdom!

Talking Reading

Am currently reading Julie & Julia by Julie and Something Wicked by Carolyn Hart. I have 3 more Carolyn Hart books in my suitcase to take to WDW with me, but may pick up My Life in France by Julia Child and maybe the Time Travelers Wife.

I like mysteries, as they seem to keep my attention the most.
80,82,85,88,90,93,94, 96 - ASMu, 97-98 - DxL, 99 - POFQ & BC, 00 - WL & POFQ, 01 - ASMo, 02 - Poly, 03 - CBR & WL, 04 -Pop, 05 - GC @ DL, 06 - POFQ, 07 - San Diego, 08 - San Diego (twice), 09 - Sports, 11 - Port Orleans French Quarter, 12 - Yellowstone & Grand Tetons
October 2013 - First Disney Cruise!!!! Western Caribbean on the Wonder
November-December 2013 - Art of Animation & Pop Century

November-December 2014 - Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy!!

Pictures & Video from November 2011 Trip! More to upload.

http://community.webshots.com/user/wdwfan6
Terk-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:29 AM   #207
Plutes
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildiva View Post
FYI...as of a few weeks ago Time Travelers Wife was not available on Kindle. I used my Borders Bucks to order it that way. Bought the first two Vampire Diaries at the same time for the same reason. Kindle has the last two but not the first two from that series.

PS: I my Kindle.
Wow...that stinks! But, thanks for the heads up. I'll actually be right near a Barnes & Noble tonight, so I might have to cave and buy it...

Plutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:36 AM   #208
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

I'm currently in the middle of the Freedom Writers Diary. Anyone read this?

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:19 PM   #209
willis37862
Captain Jack is still my fave JD character
My drool bucket over runth
Stalking pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutes View Post

I'm the same way If I start reading a book and can't get through it I have to move on or else I lose the reading bug for awhile . I also HATE to give up on a book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terk-1 View Post

I like mysteries, as they seem to keep my attention the most.
Another fan of mysteries here I have read everything Agatha Christie wrote ...love her! Also a fan of Rex Stout, he wrote the Nero Wolfe series...A&E had a tv series of Nero for awhile, I also liked it a lot. More recent mystery authors...I am a fan of Diane Mott Davidson her detective has a catering business. They are cute little fluff mysteries in my opionion but pretty entertaining.

They can't hit ya ~ Bob Varley
Nichole
willis37862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:18 PM   #210
mainegal
DIS Veteran

Healthy book

I am really enjoying and being inspired by this book

Younger Next Year for Women: Live Strong, Fit, and Sexy - Until You're 80 and Beyond by Chris Crowley and Henry S. Lodge M.D. M.D.
They also wrote Younger Next Year: Live Strong, Fit, and SexyUntil You're 80 and Beyond, more aimed at men.

It is aimed at women in mid-life, fifties. Helps them prepare for the "next third of their life". Their idea is that you are probably going to live into your seventies or eighties. But you can chose to be fit and live a fully functioning life longer. You can put off 70 percent of the normal problems of aging - weakness, sore joints, bad balnace - and eliminate 50 percent of serious illness and injury.

It is both scientific (no whoo hoo or mumble jumble) and inspirational.

I am going to adopt the seven rules.

Harry’s Rules
1. Exercise six days a week for the rest of your life.
2. Do serious aerobic exercise four days a week for the rest of your life
3. Do serious strength training, with weights, two days a week for the rest of your life.
4. Spend less than you make.
5. Quit eating crap.
6. Care.
7. Connect and commit.

Yes, it is available for Kindle!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: