DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
dizmom2mwjk
If only he loved Disney as much as I do

My research has confused me...HELP!!

When I look at the Points Chart, I get one total, then I saw the points calculator, and got a MUCH lower total...is the chart correct or the calculator? AND in looking at the chart/using the points calculator...it is cheaper (less points) to get a 2BR AND a studio for 12 than to get one GV to sleep 12 at BWV...Or am I doing something wrong?

Also, the points calculator will not let me go into 2010 yet, so I am guesstimating based on this years' points...is there a way to find out exactly how many pts. I will need to rent for next year?

Am I more likely to rent ALLthe points for ONE GV from one DVC member, or more likely to rent smaller amounts (for 3 studios, say) from 3 dif. DVC members?

And, along those lines, Should I be proactive and seek points to rent by placing an ad or just wait to see what comes up on the renting board?

Other questions I have not directly related to pts...I understand that the weekends cost more pts, but aren't the parks open later on weekends? So isn't it worth it in the off season/holiday season to be there on a F/Sat?

Thanks for the help...

Elise
dizmom2mwjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:01 PM   #2
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Follow the link under the blue heron at the top of the page that says DVC Point Charts. The 2010 point charts are posted there..there were changes between 2009 and 2010.

The calculator has not been updated to include the 2010 charts (I really don't know who does that, none of the DVC Mods have access to the programming.)

Points are figured for each night, so if your trip starts in one season and ends in another, you need to to figure for that. The weekly total is only a convenience figure for any 7 consecutive nights during that season, no weekly discount or difference in points.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-02-2009, 06:03 PM   #3
WebmasterDoc
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizmom2mwjk View Post
When I look at the Points Chart, I get one total, then I saw the points calculator, and got a MUCH lower total...is the chart correct or the calculator? AND in looking at the chart/using the points calculator...it is cheaper (less points) to get a 2BR AND a studio for 12 than to get one GV to sleep 12 at BWV...Or am I doing something wrong?

Also, the points calculator will not let me go into 2010 yet, so I am guesstimating based on this years' points...is there a way to find out exactly how many pts. I will need to rent for next year?

Am I more likely to rent ALLthe points for ONE GV from one DVC member, or more likely to rent smaller amounts (for 3 studios, say) from 3 dif. DVC members?

And, along those lines, Should I be proactive and seek points to rent by placing an ad or just wait to see what comes up on the renting board?

Other questions I have not directly related to pts...I understand that the weekends cost more pts, but aren't the parks open later on weekends? So isn't it worth it in the off season/holiday season to be there on a F/Sat?

Thanks for the help...

Elise

The points should be the same whether using chart or calculator - so if there is a difference it would be best to trust the point chart. Yes, it would use fewer points to get a studio and a 2BR - but they might not be next to each other. The GVs are a very different experience with 2300+ square feet, 4 bathrooms, a huge living room, kitchen, laundry area and balcony.

It certainly can't hurt to make a request for a rental as far in advance as possible - especially if you want a GV - but that would much easier to get from one member (multiple members would involve the need to link reservations so you would not have ot move).
Weekend points are about double weekdays and you may often be able to rent weekend nights directly thru Disney for less than from a DVC member.

Good luck!
Old 08-02-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
fluffykim
Mouseketeer

OK, alot going on here so Im gonna try to answer them for you

I think you are doing something wrong with the chart vs the calculator...try it again. I have just planned out next 4th of July and it worked perfectly.

Yes, i looked in teh book that it is cheaper points to do a 2br and a studio vs a GV. It appears that at BWV, 2bedrooms are a one bedroom plus a studio...so unless you get a GV, im not sure they can connect 2 one beds plus a studio or whatever the combo would be to get you 3 connecting bedrooms. Other resorts, like SSR have "true " 2 bedrooms as well as one bedrooms plus stuido connections. If you are looking for a "family gathering" you may want a GV. We rented one at sSR and it was amazing

Yes, the points calculator 100% is going out to 2010, I used it.

i dont know, I have my own points

worth is in the eye of the holder. depending on the season, the parks have very varied times of open/close and not just weekends. During holiday, every day they are open or some park is open till as late as 2am. so it depends. Personally, we travel Sun to Fri to maximze our points.

January 2007: 1st trip to Vero Beach

August 2007: 1st 4night Disney Cruise

fluffykim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
fluffykim
Mouseketeer

ps...sorry, i was assuming when you were saying "calculator" you were on the dvcmember website....that is the calculator I am referencing

Kim

January 2007: 1st trip to Vero Beach

August 2007: 1st 4night Disney Cruise

fluffykim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:57 PM   #6
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffykim View Post
... It appears that at BWV, 2bedrooms are a one bedroom plus a studio...so unless you get a GV, im not sure they can connect 2 one beds plus a studio or whatever the combo would be to get you 3 connecting bedrooms. Other resorts, like SSR have "true " 2 bedrooms as well as one bedrooms plus stuido connections. If you are looking for a "family gathering" you may want a GV. We rented one at sSR and it was amazing...
There is no way to get three bedrooms in anything but a GV. A one bedroom will never connect to another one bedroom. A studio will never connect to another studio. At BWV, all two bedroom villas are a one bedroom villa connected to a studio villa and this combination is called a two bedroom lockoff. There are no dedicated two bedroom villas.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:21 PM   #7
dizmom2mwjk

Thanks for all the input...I now understand the 2BR lockoff thanks for explaining it...I also looked at a floorplan...it is just easier to say 2BR...but we are still looking at cost (somewhat) so it is more economical to go with 3 studios (even tho I know they are not connecting/next to each other) than the GV... I feel like I am slowly getting some insight into this process....
Old 08-02-2009, 08:16 PM   #8
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizmom2mwjk View Post
Thanks for all the input...I now understand the 2BR lockoff thanks for explaining it...I also looked at a floorplan...it is just easier to say 2BR...but we are still looking at cost (somewhat) so it is more economical to go with 3 studios (even tho I know they are not connecting/next to each other) than the GV... I feel like I am slowly getting some insight into this process....
Plus those three studios may be anywhere at the resort, not on the same floor, not the same wing.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #9
dizmom2mwjk

I think if I use Magical gatherings, they will make sure we get our rooms near each other....that is what they said on the phone...if you have a party of 8 of more you can do that, plus you can book Grand gatherings, as well...I know they cost additional fees...but we may do one or two.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: