Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
LuvOrlando
DIS Veteran

Do some states really have a debtors prison?

So I just recently had a conversation with a friend of mine and she told me her step son, an adult, had done time in a debtors prison and my reaction was I thought those were banished ages ago. She tells me, not true, they have them in Texas, or at least they did in the past 40 or so years when the step son went. So this go me to thinking, do these places really exist in some states or is this family just trying to throw up a smoke screen? I've lived in NY, NJ and PA and never heard of one except in a history book and I personally think they are lying to her to cover up theft or something more insidious. Still, this is the US and I guess anything might be possible. Has anyone out there ever heard of them or is this family just messing with my friend?
1993 WDL & WDW PORR for Honeymoon,94 PORR,95 OKW,96 PORR,98 Hilton, 2000 PORR,03Poly&Univ Porto, 04 WL & 04 Cont & Univ Porto,05 AKL&Univ Porto & Poly,06PORR&UnivRP, 07AKL&UnivPorto&Poly,10Hilton&PORFQ,11Hilton&Poly, 12Poly,13CB&Univ Porto (I think I'm missing a few trips in there LOL)
LuvOrlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
Sir Robin Hood
Mouseketeer

They exist in Nottingham. But that's where I come in and bust out the innocent and save the good people from tyranny.

Seriously though. I honestly can't say I've heard of them existing in this day & age, or else there would be a whole lot of people behind bars, including the majority of the folks running the country. Interesting thing to look into though, but I doubt they are out there now.
Sir Robin Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-01-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
MushyMushy
Marseeya Here!
Drama Magnet
I only make exceptions for chocolate Mickey heads
I'm a big pie freak
I'll always laugh myself silly over the flag pole incident.

I think parents who are delinquent on child support can go to jail in some states. Is it possible that's what he's in jail for?
Old 08-01-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
corndog
My childhood grows increasingly hazy day by day

Debtors prison is how we got from the Articles of Confederation to the Constitution.

Shays Rebellion anyone?
03/01 - Port Orleans - Riverside
09/01 - Grand Floridian
04/02 - Wilderness Lodge
07/02 - BWI Concierge/GF Sugar Loaf Concierge
03/03 - Port Orleans - Riverside
03/04 - Port Orleans - Riverside
05/05 - Wilderness Lodge
09/07 - Polynesian
07/10 - Polynesian
08/11 - Polynesian
08/12 - Grand Floridian
07/13 - Polynesian
corndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
LuvOrlando
DIS Veteran

Hmmm, no yesses so far, but it could be we're all from the North East. I'm very skeptical, but I'm also a lifelong Yankee. I'd like to hear from the south and midwest... this could be one of those regional differences we all hear about from time to time.

I don't think it was child support since from what I understand this guy is expecting his first child soon. But that is definitely a possibility if he fathered a child as a teen. But that's not a debtors prison is it, its regular prison? If this is what happened and my DF knew I think she'd tell me after all the other stuff she told me about the guy, he's quite a mess.
1993 WDL & WDW PORR for Honeymoon,94 PORR,95 OKW,96 PORR,98 Hilton, 2000 PORR,03Poly&Univ Porto, 04 WL & 04 Cont & Univ Porto,05 AKL&Univ Porto & Poly,06PORR&UnivRP, 07AKL&UnivPorto&Poly,10Hilton&PORFQ,11Hilton&Poly, 12Poly,13CB&Univ Porto (I think I'm missing a few trips in there LOL)
Old 08-01-2009, 06:32 PM   #6
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

i live in alabama and there's no debtor's prison here that i'm aware of. if you owe a substantial amount of back child support or restitution, you can be imprisoned, but that's just in a regular prison. i'm intrigued to hear from others about this, though.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
Keli
We're smarter than the average bear!
I would scrap everyday if I could
What do you think? You were raised in a barn?

Family is covering something up. No debtor's prisons anywhere within the US.

1981-The early years. 2011-The not-so-early years
Keli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:51 PM   #8
Took
DIS Veteran

There are no debtors prisons in the U.S. A parent who is (consistently or very) deliquent on child-support payments can go to jail, but that's about it.

took
Old 08-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #9
dturner
DIS Veteran

I'm in Texas - there are no debtors prisons in Texas but you can go to jail for non-payment of child support.

"Honest to God, I'll Break Your Heart, Tear You to Pieces and Rip You Apart" - Night of the Hunter - Jared Leto - 30 Seconds to Mars
dturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #10
MarkBarbieri
Semi-retired

There are definitely no debtors prisons in Texas. I don't think that there every have been, certainly not since Reconstruction in the late 1800s. At that time, Texas became extremely hostile to debt collectors. Heck, we only started allowing home equity loans a few years ago because we didn't want creditors going after people's houses.

Florida and Texas are the two most popular states for rich people to declare bankruptcy in because they can shelter an unlimited amount of money in a primary residence. If I've a $10,000,000 house in Texas and I declare bankruptcy, no one can touch any of that home equity. The feds changed the minimum residency rules a few years ago, but the basic principal still applies. Texas is a state that is very friendly to debtors.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:59 PM   #11
GeorgeG
Stumped for 2005
You can keep the pickles
I fully intend to be a ghost when it's my turn

I agree with the other posters. I have heard of jail time for owing child support, but that's about it.

I think the old debtors prisons go way back to when wealthy and powerful men would lend money or have delinquent renters and they were influential enough to have the thrown in prison. Kinda like today, but without the prison!

Then, there's the debt against society, but that's a different take on regular criminals.

I've never understood the logic of putting someone in jail for owing money since they can't earn money to pay the debt while they're in jail. I think that back in the day it had more to do with flexing power and control.

Now, taxes... well, let's not go there...
Old 08-01-2009, 08:06 PM   #12
LuvOrlando
DIS Veteran

Ah-ha! Thank you all, especially the Texans. I knew something wasn't right when she told me about this. I told her flat out I didn't think our Government allowed them any longer but she was pretty insistent and her conviction made me doubt myself. She's been there about a year (a re-married widow with 2 kids) and is originally from up north, like me. She's all alone down there and to be honest I'm a bit worried for her if she's being lied to like this. The worst part is, her new DH just had an alarm put in because this bad egg son gave a sweety pie phone call to say hi & ask them out for dinner. She thinks he wants to ask for a loan but I say it's trouble way bigger than that. Who ever heard of a father putting an alarm in when his son pops on the radar?

Now I just have to figure out how to work this little tid-bit of truth into a conversation without upsetting her. Poor thing has been through enough. Anyone have any ideas? It's an odd topic but I'm hoping she'll bring it up again thinking she didn't tell me that part yet.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:51 PM   #13
ChristmasElf
Will be packing TP in her purse if Sheryl Crow gets her way!

Here's more info than you probably want, but nonetheless, it's interesting to read the history behind it.
Gaol-pronounced jail is actually a French word according to the article meaning "cage".

http://myvesta.org/history/history_debtorprison.html

There are no debtors prisons anywhere in the US for more than a hundred years.
ChristmasElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:51 PM   #14
disneyismyname
DIS Veteran

I've never heard of a debtors prison in the U.S.
Actually the first time I heard of such a thing was in Charles Dickens, Little Dorrit...
Old 08-01-2009, 09:56 PM   #15
Boston Tea Party
Truth is truth

Another Texan with a "nope."

Interesting thread...
You never ever left my side ~ Make it like it was before
Even if it takes a life time, takes a life time ~

~Next Dole Whip… 7/13-7/18 USC Trojan Style! ~
Boston Tea Party is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: