Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2009, 10:06 PM   #31
A.Mickey
Meeska Moouska

Well, I did something I probably shouldn't have...but I couldn't help myself! I bought DVC! I know, I know, I probably shouldn't have...but it is getting more and more costlier for DVC and we have wanted DVC for the past 3 years!

I justified the purchase, that we will have it until Aaron is 50 years old! Until I am 77 and Jason is 82!! Jason's mom is also helping paying 100 a month for the next 5 years! And then after that it will be paid off, so maybe I should think about getting a house when Aaron is 7? I don't know! But I think I made a wise decision with how much we like to vacation at Disney!

My stubborn credit card will be paid off by the end of this month, and we are not going to stay at Jason's brothers house now. Instead we are staying for two nights at a Motel 6 in Scottsdale came out to $100! And then the wedding night at the resort..at least we will be out of their hair! I saved 12 dollars on the room using a coupon discount code and going through my sunshine rewards account! I am always looking!

Last edited by A.Mickey; 11-05-2009 at 12:24 AM.
A.Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:44 AM   #32
A.Mickey
Meeska Moouska

WOO HOO!! The stubborn card is paid off as of today!

So, now that we are DVC owners we have a few more trips in the mix! Hopefully we will be going down in October of next year of a week during Food and Wine as my cousin is getting married in Tampa. We would buy an annual pass with our DVC discount and then go in December for the PCC 2.0 and then take one more trip for the 40th anniversary of the MK in October of 2011!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-05-2009, 12:23 AM   #33
A.Mickey
Meeska Moouska

So thanks to the Podcast I joined the No Buy group on the budget board! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2321066

This is really, really, really helping me curb my spending! Should have another credit card paid off by the end of the year and half of the last one paid off by the end of Feb with our tax return!
Old 11-12-2009, 11:26 PM   #34
natale1980
"When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me!"... Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I don't know how I didn't see this... Very Entertaining!
I really hope you get your CC's paid! Congrats on getting rid of the first one. I really need to get my butt in gear and get debt free... but it's so hard when there are so many nice shiny things to buy.
Really though - your awesome for paying off your debt! Good for you! Maybe you'll be my inspiration... After we get back from Disney of course!!

-nat
Old 11-13-2009, 10:36 PM   #35
A.Mickey
Meeska Moouska

Quote:
Originally Posted by natale1980 View Post
I don't know how I didn't see this... Very Entertaining!
I really hope you get your CC's paid! Congrats on getting rid of the first one. I really need to get my butt in gear and get debt free... but it's so hard when there are so many nice shiny things to buy.
Really though - your awesome for paying off your debt! Good for you! Maybe you'll be my inspiration... After we get back from Disney of course!!

-nat
Well, at first I was kinda ashamed of this PTR....but then I am like....I don't care I will let it be known! So I advertised it in my signature.

I am only able to get rid of my cc debt, because earlier this year my father asked me if I was thinking of getting a house now that they are getting cheaper and cheaper....and I was like I would love too....but I first have to get out of this CC debt! Then when I told him how much I had....he told me no more vacations until you are out of credit card debt! I have to be on PCC 2.0! So this is what I needed to hear to make me get rid of this debt one and all! Although he doesn't know that I just bought DVC. Oh well, it will be done with soon enough....I got the 5 year loan so Jan 2015 . Gosh Aaron will almost be 8 then!

The No Buy thread is really helping me too!
Old 11-18-2009, 11:32 PM   #36
A.Mickey
Meeska Moouska

In January we can book for our 11 months out! We are at least going to book a savanna view room for Nana (Jason's mother) hopefully we will be coming too! Will know better about our finances once March rolls around! I am really trying to get our head above water, it sure takes a long time though!

This just reminds me that I got a D23 membership a while back, in the middle of October, I wonder when I can be expecting my 1st magazine.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:03 AM   #37
A.Mickey
Meeska Moouska

I started doing the C25K program! I figured why not get in shape and out of debt at the same time! That way by the time my debt is paid off I will have a new body to go with it and I will be feeling good!

Update on the money front! Working on the 2nd card still. I put 400 towards that card last Friday and hopefully I will have the remainder paid on it by the end of the year! Then I will have the last major credit card that I want to get rid of! I big scary discover card that has 6000 on it! Luckily, all of our tax return will go to the card and that will be about 3000-4000. After the discover I have a lil chase card that currently has just under 3000 on it, but the interest rate is holding out at 5% until it is paid off....so I am not really worried about this one. It comes out to about $12 a month in interest.

Unfortunately, the car that is still out of commission has to have an emissions test on it before February so I guess we will be having a car fixing bill sometime in January....I hope it won't be too much
Old 11-28-2009, 10:36 AM   #38
TyRy
Part of the problem is I wear my shorts
It is making me nutty

Hi Shanan,

Just wanted to say I think it's great that your doing the whole CC payoff thing and even posting about it! I know what you mean about things popping up (like the car!) as it seems every time we get close too, something else happens (like needing a new roof soon!) But we just keep plugging away and it sounds like you guys will be there in no time!

And congratulations for buying DVC! I think we met a year or two ago at a Doorway event and I know you guys were thinking about it. It really will be the best thing you've done. I know it's been that way for us and we LOVE having AKL as our home resort.

Off to try and catch up on your cruise report.
Mickey's Hand is Back in my Pocket - A Trippie for Sept/Oct 08 and 1st Trip Home to AKV
Trip of New Phases, Friends & 40 - Sept 09 - CR/AKV
*A Giraffe Meets the Beach - Oct '10 BCV/AKV* *Oct '11 AKV/Poly *1st Birthday Trip and Disney Dream Cruise - Dec '11 AKV* *Oct '12 - 18 days! AKVJ, BWV, AKVK*
*Nov 2013 AKVJ* *Extra May 2014 Trip SSR* *Oct 2014 Trip AKVJ, BLT, AKVJ*
TyRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:57 PM   #39
A.Mickey
Meeska Moouska

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyRy View Post
Hi Shanan,

Just wanted to say I think it's great that your doing the whole CC payoff thing and even posting about it! I know what you mean about things popping up (like the car!) as it seems every time we get close too, something else happens (like needing a new roof soon!) But we just keep plugging away and it sounds like you guys will be there in no time!

And congratulations for buying DVC! I think we met a year or two ago at a Doorway event and I know you guys were thinking about it. It really will be the best thing you've done. I know it's been that way for us and we LOVE having AKL as our home resort.

Off to try and catch up on your cruise report.
Thanks! Posting about it is holding me accountable and helping me pay it off, plus having my dad telling me that I can't go anywhere until my credit cards are paid off seems to help too! Yeah, cars stink sometimes! At least we don't have a car payment anymore.

Hmmm...I don't remember meeting you at a Doorway event, but we will be meeting you again, or for the first time at Jaime's in a week, right? Yeah, it will definitely be a good thing as Aaron will be able to go to Disney or anywhere for that matter til he is over 50! I just can't even think that far into the future it is crazy!
Old 12-01-2009, 10:59 PM   #40
A.Mickey
Meeska Moouska

So, last month I got a change in terms from my stubborn card that I just paid off last month and they are getting rid of the rewards program and adding an annual fee. Last night I called and asked them to close my account! I don't need to pay an annual fee!!

Boy, did that feel good!!
Old 12-02-2009, 10:25 AM   #41
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

I am here too! I am finally all caught up. You are doing GREAT on your debt, congratulations on getting one paid off and closing it!!!

We bought DVC and took vacations in the midst of our debt paying off too....it was worth it. We see our vacations, espeically when I was working too, as a NEED! We would have gone nuts without it! And DVC is a wise investment I think - and if Nana is paying $100 a month - wow! That's soooooooo nice. :
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:31 AM   #42
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

Hi Shanan. I wandered here from the PCC 2.0 thread.

Interesting reading your pre-trip report.

I am amazed that with your debt you chose to buy into to DVC debt and the extra cost of extra trips that you will be taking now that you have DVC. Good luck, good luck, and good luck!

Truly, I wish you well with your climb out of debt. Don't let Christmas carry you further down the hole.

I look forward to meeting you on the boat next December. Keep on paying off and saving so that can happen!

Lyn
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:43 PM   #43
A.Mickey
Meeska Moouska

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
I am here too! I am finally all caught up. You are doing GREAT on your debt, congratulations on getting one paid off and closing it!!!

We bought DVC and took vacations in the midst of our debt paying off too....it was worth it. We see our vacations, espeically when I was working too, as a NEED! We would have gone nuts without it! And DVC is a wise investment I think - and if Nana is paying $100 a month - wow! That's soooooooo nice. :
Thanks Brook! It sure does take a long time but I keep plugging away! The No Buy Thread is really helping me stay on track with my budget! Last week Jason wanted Five Guys, but our budget was already blown with eating out for the month of November so he opted for Costo. Total bill for the two of us $3.30 . Much better than the $20+ it would have been at Five Guys!

Yes, I think DVC is a very wise investment too! I was thinking after my AP expires we could go the next year to Hilton Head or Vero Beach and all we will have to pay for is the airfare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegal View Post
Hi Shanan. I wandered here from the PCC 2.0 thread.

Interesting reading your pre-trip report.

I am amazed that with your debt you chose to buy into to DVC debt and the extra cost of extra trips that you will be taking now that you have DVC. Good luck, good luck, and good luck!

Truly, I wish you well with your climb out of debt. Don't let Christmas carry you further down the hole.

I look forward to meeting you on the boat next December. Keep on paying off and saving so that can happen!

Lyn
Hi Lyn!

I chose to buy into DVC because Jason's mom is going to give us 100/month towards the payment of ~200 and since Jason and I have been looking into buying DVC it just is getting costlier and costlier. Both of our cars are paid off now (payment was $350 for both) and we did only buy in at 100 points. We even got points for 2008! So as of right now we have 200 pts to play with. And as far as the extra trips go, technically it is just one extra trip in Oct of 2011 for MK's 40th. Regardless, I will be going to my cousin's wedding in Tampa in Oct of 2010 and since Tampa is sooo stinkin' close to Disney and I already have a place to stay over there now, mind as well .

Oh believe me I will be on that boat! The No Buy Thread has really truly been helping me!! If anyone else needs help in the spending category come over and join us!!

More good news! My mom told me that she is going to help us get our car fixed for Christmas!!
Old 12-05-2009, 12:19 AM   #44
A.Mickey
Meeska Moouska

AZ Trip Day 1

We woke up a wee bit earlier than we usually do about 6:00 am. We got last minute items packed and waited for Art (Jason's Step-dad) to pick us up and drive Jason, Aaron, Nana and I to the airport. (We are lucky because O'hare is about 10 minutes from our apartment) It can make for some noisy nights occasionally, though. We arrive to the airport and I immediately check to see if the carry-on that I packed all our clothes into will actually fit in the overhead compartment so I won't have to pay a baggage fee, but unfortunately it was too big. Oh well! Get our bags checked and we head to go through security. Aaron was getting antsy waiting in line, but he made it and even walked through the metal detector by himself! We head to the terminal and Nana gets us McDonalds. It seems to be our tradition when we have morning flights to get McDonalds for breakfast at the airport. While Nana and Dada are in line I take Aaron to watch all the trucks and see all the airplanes. Aaron spots this airplane (the one on the far left of the picture) and says that airplane has a funny face!

I didn't see it at first, but then I was like oh my gosh he is cute! The engines look like eyes and the wings make it look like a mouth!

We eat our McD's and now it is time to board! When we were waiting to board of course the line to get on the airplane moves really slow and Aaron pipes up, "Come on, People!"

Aaron decided to sit with Nana, so Jason and I get to sit together. I work on the cross-stitch that I am doing as a gift for my brother-in-law and sis-in-law, but soon the in-flight movie Julie & Julia starts to play and I really wanted to see this movie so I watch it. Jason was watching it for a little while, but as soon as he realized it is a Romantic Comedy his headset was off! I really enjoyed the movie and makes me wish that someday I could be as cool as Julie is. Must start blogging about something cool!

Our flight was pretty uneventful, saw some pretty mountains as we were getting closer to Phoenix.

Always so weird to go out west and realize there are miles and miles and miles of nothingness out there!

Aaron excited to be off the airplane!

We grab our bags and we are off to stop number one: Men's Warehouse to pick up the tux, and Jason's mom offered to pay for the tux!

Aaron was having a ball playing in the mirrors and dancing to the music that was playing in the overhead speakers.

Dada unable to figure out how to tie a tie.

Maybe his brother can help out!

By now it is close to 2, we are starving! Must find an In-N-Out!

Ahhhhhh!
Heaven!

Aaron even liked their Pink Lemonade too! I swear it is the best!

I got a little eager to get Aaron posing with a real live cactus in the picture!

(see the cactus behind the white car?)

Now we are on the way to the AZ State Fair!

The Camelback Mountains

Before leaving on this trip I went and read a TR about the AZ state fair from MousePlanet.com and someone said that they had real Dole Whips here....so we had a mission to find Nana a Dole Whip!

Arriving at the Fair!

These Turkey Legs and Hams and other various types of meats just looked to cool!

Random Penguin on top of a building?!?

We stroll through the Midway and Wow is this Midway big! The AZ state fair is much more focused on rides and food and not so much animals compared with the Wisconsin State Fair....hmmmm I wonder why!

So we go and look at the pathetic animals.
This is their largest facility with the grand stands to show the best of animals

This building was very dilapatated

Humongous Turkey! I swear this thing had to be close to 40 lbs!

The Three Little Pigs

Went to the petting zoo and this lil pot belly pig was staked out under the 25 cent food dispenser, pigs are definitely smart!

Will we find a Dole Whip for Nana?

Last edited by A.Mickey; 12-05-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:30 AM   #45
A.Mickey
Meeska Moouska

Off to the penguin building. This was a kids area. It was very dirty, maybe something to do with the fact that the fair had been already open for close to a month and it was in its last week of being open. They had big legos that were just covered in a layer of dirt. It was kinda gross. But Aaron really loved riding the tractors!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX5g0bOt4B4

Aaron wants to fish.

Thought this was funny!

We find the place where they are selling scorpions.

This is good to know.

Behold the scorpion.

The dismemberment.

I ate the bug!

He was pretty crunchy, but his tail was a little juicy and he tasted like alcohol.

Now time to find some real food!

ooooooohhhh something new that is also deep fried!

Delish!

(but not as good as a deep fried reese's peanut butter cup)

We caught up to Aaron and Nana and they were watching the model trains!

We are still searching around for the Dole Whip! We now have been over the entire fairgrounds and still no luck. I asked 1 information booth they had no idea what I was talking about, I asked a 2nd information booth they too had no idea what I was talking about, I asked a 3rd information booth and they told me that they have specific vendors that bring a truck in and are only here for one weekend, so we are sad that this may be the case with the Dole Whips.

While walking around I spot this, I wonder what Aaron will do to me when I am older!

Somewhere during our walk, I say something about the tractors that Aaron loved so much. He heard the word tractor and he freaked out! He wanted to go back!!
This time he wanted to make it even more authentic and put on a hat.

He wanted to see what a red hat would look like.

These are cute! Don't know who or what they are though.

I forgot to mention that from 12-6 it was all half off admission and once inside every food booth had one food item for 1.00! Can't go wrong with that. We ended up getting popcorn and Aaron's favorite I-C-E C-R-E-A-M!

We are about to head out the sun is starting to set and we had now walked around the fairgrounds twice. No Dole Whip, but wait Nana decides to walk in this little alcove where a hypnotist is performing I look to my left and could it be??

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: