Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2009, 04:48 AM   #31
Mommy2JulietJocelyn
DIS Veteran

DD#1 was on bedrest from 25 wks to 31wks due to complete placenta previa and contractions, had terbutiline at home, was given ok to be up & about at 31 wks because the placenta moved enough that we would not have to have a c/s unless I didn't progress when the time came, 2 days before due date I told my DH "i'm done" we fooled around but I was too uncomfortable to completely finish - water broke 3 hrs later, but had to have pit at 11am because I didn' have contractions, she was born at 7pm - 7lbs 11oz
DD#2--3 days before due date walked, was restless, went home had some fun completely - started having contractions an hr later she was born 12 hrs after contractions started - 6lbs 15oz
DD#3 --- 1 day before due date again "i'm done" had some fun completely woke at 2am with contractions, went back to bed woke again at 4am and was unable to go back to sleep, at the hospital by 6 - was 6cm dilated already she was born by 916am -

So who knows if I was just ready anyway but in my head - my DH was what worked for me

Good Luck with everything ---wishing you short healthy labor vibes...and pixie dust

Last edited by Mommy2JulietJocelyn; 08-01-2009 at 04:49 AM. Reason: added
Mommy2JulietJocelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:59 AM   #32
disney_family_1247
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
What's the problem with being 40 weeks? Cancel the induction; baby isn't done yet. Baby will let you know when s/he's done.

Hubby was a 44 week baby and their dates were rock solid (FIl was in Merchant Marines on leave). Hubby was under 9 pounds...can you imagine if they'd made him come out 4 weeks earlier? He was holding his head up from birth and was very physically advanced...

Unfortunately I didn't listen to my own advice and hired some really bad "helpers"...my son was forced out at 42 weeks 3 days, and he was under 8 lbs. Had some signs of prematurity, too! We too were rock solid on our dates (wedding night...by 2 days later I had already started to change and wasn't feeling very well, and there weren't really any other opportunites to have "started" a baby after that). If he'd been forced out at 40 weeks he wouldn't have been the same baby.

Remember, and remind your hired help, that 40 weeks is an AVERAGE. It's not "normal", it's the "norm", which means it's a numbers thing. For babies that arrive at 36 weeks, there has to be a baby at 44 weeks, to come up with that 40 weeks nonsense.

Schedule things to do every day, and do them until baby graces you with his/her presence. Plus, induction makes things dangerous for YOU, with far more complications than just letting baby's nature take its course. Just relax.
Please don't offer your personal opinion as medical advice. Full term is 37-42 weeks. You are right that the baby can stay in there a little longer (although it sounds like she's not being induced until she's about 41 weeks). The placenta begins to deteriorate after 42 weeks. I'm totally against early inductions for no reason, but come on! The woman is term. Just because nature sometimes makes babies stay in longer, doesn't mean nature is always right. If you want to be totally natural in childbirth (I don't mean drugs in labor or anything like that), you have to accept the bad odds that go along with it.

To the OP. If you and your partner are up for it, doing something "private" is supposed to help. I won't go into the gross details, but look it up
disney_family_1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-01-2009, 12:32 PM   #33
JerseyMamaBear
DIS Veteran

okay, so last night hubby and I had some "alone time" to kick start labor, and while it was a very nice much needed break, NOTHING! So we went out to some yard sales hoping to stir something up, and NOTHING! Even went outside for an hour and picked weeds and you guessed it,NOTHING
If nothing else I am having fun trying. Thanks for all the help and keep them comming, its fun and I enjoy reading the behind the scenes stories of everyones luck!

[SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"]1979-1994 Fort Wilderness & Condos at DTD #1-21
1993 Dixi Landings (POR) #22. #36 2011 Poly, marathon
1997 Off Property #23. #37 2011 Riley's birthday
1999 CBR #24. #38 8/11 Colins Birthday
2003 Port Orleans Riverside #25. #39 10/11Wine& Dine run
2004 CBR #26. . #40 2012 POP
2006 CBR #27
2006 All Star Sports #28
2007 All Star Sports #29
2008 All Star Sports #30
2009 All Star Music #31
2010 Polynesian Birthday weekend #32
2010 April Poly for Princess Birthday #33
2010 May All Star #34
2010 Halloween at the Poly #35
JerseyMamaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:32 PM   #34
empty_nester
Earning My Ears

Both of my boys were two weeks late and what started labor was scheduling the induction They each came on their own the day before I was scheduled to be induced. In both cases though the doctor was right. My first was 10 Lbs 3 oz and very very wrinkled from being in so long. The second was 9 lbs 10 oz and was in distress during the late stages of labor. If you chose your doctor because you believed in them trust them now to do what is best for you and your child. And maybe Wednesday will be the day for you!
empty_nester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:34 PM   #35
surfergirl602
Well you're one step ahead of me

my first was two weeks late. My water broke at night in bed - yuck - and she arrived in under two hours. She was ten pounds, 24 inches, and gave me one of the worst tears my doc had ever seen. I still hve problems from it 9 years later. I wish that she wouldn't have made me wait. it was horrible. My second was induced a week early and was 9 pounds. My third came on her own a month early and was 7 pounds.
June 2006 - off site 5th year anniversary May 2008 - POR the girls' very first trip! Aug 2009 - AKL, military homecoming trip! Sept 2009 - proud DVC owners at BLT!!! Oct 2010 AKV Mar 2012 - AOA Dec 2012 - welcome home, daddy surprise trip

My Author Blog!
https://melissamackinnon.wordpress.com
surfergirl602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:33 PM   #36
LoveKermit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyMamaBear View Post
okay, so last night hubby and I had some "alone time" to kick start labor, and while it was a very nice much needed break, NOTHING! So we went out to some yard sales hoping to stir something up, and NOTHING! Even went outside for an hour and picked weeds and you guessed it,NOTHING
If nothing else I am having fun trying. Thanks for all the help and keep them comming, its fun and I enjoy reading the behind the scenes stories of everyones luck!
That was me! (except for the weeds, as it was Dec.) DH was on Law Review so we went to Chicago and did some research so he wouldn't have to do it after DD was born, ate lunch and went home. That was the day of the night I went in for the induction.

Good luck!
DL-1999 offsite with DH**ASMu-2000 first onsite trip with DH**Offsite-2001 Halloween Horror Nights**Antigua-2002 Honeymoon**Offsite-2003 First Anniv. (Magical Music Days)**WL-2004**Dolphin-2004 (AP Nat'l Conference)**Shades of Green-Family Xmas 2005, Thanks for your service BIL**No Trip-2006, DD born in Dec!!!!!!!!**Poly-2007 **Dolphin MNSSHP/F & W-2008**BWV-2010**SSR-2010**BLT-2011**GCH-2013**BWV-2013
LoveKermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:58 PM   #37
longing2Batdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleswife View Post
I know Im gonna get some reactions to this, but I took a tbs full of caster oil!!! Mixed it with some coke and downed it!!! Done that at 8pm and by 2am i was in labor. still ended up with a c-section!!!
I was in labor at home (20 hrs)for 1st (40 wks-exactly)sent to hosp they broke my water, gave me and epidural, and than gave me the drip **6lbs5oz
2nd was 6 wks early --water broke--I stayed in premature labor entire pregnancy **5lbs 1oz
3rd I was sch. for induction at 37 wks (doc did not feel I would make it past that and was sch me before his vacation-LOL!) well he was right I did not make it--at 35 (341/4 wks) baby was in destress we had to induce earlier than planned **5lbs 8oz
ALL three were healthy and fine (non had to stay any added time in hosp--2nd child does have ADD inattentive; 3rd child has a congential heart efrect but had nothing to do w/birthing0

So, why am I sharing I was early or ontime for all of mine...I was induced for ALL three with the drip...

My sister used a shot glass of caster oil for all three of her children--she was 40 wks for all three--- it worked all three times---she went into labor on her own after each shot.(within 12 hrs)..she used a glass of orange juice do push it down her MIL told her to follow w/a shot of vodka but she chose the OJ instead.

Good Luck!!! it will happen soon...
longing2Batdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:59 PM   #38
allyphoe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
40 weeks is an AVERAGE.
It's not even that. The median first baby, with labor allowed to start naturally (so not induced or C-sectioned before the start of labor), is born at 41w1d LMP. Subsequent babies have a median of 40w1d. Median means half will be on or before that date, half will be on or after. The curve isn't a bell, so it's not an "every 36-week baby has a 44-week counterpart" situation at all.

Don't even get me started about using LMP to date pregnancies, though. If you know your ovulation date, count back 14 days and give that as your LMP, or your pregnancy is going to be misdated, no matter how sure you are of conception. Mine was conceived through IUI, so no issue on dates, and I had to argue with every health care professional I dealt with because they only cared about LMP, which in my case was not 14 days before ovulation. If you have long cycles, you could be 44w LMP and still have a premature (35-weeks past conception) baby.

FWIW, I went into labor at 41w0d, and gave birth at 41w2d. DD was 8lb4oz, so certainly not ginormous.
allyphoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:07 PM   #39
lindsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyphoe View Post
Don't even get me started about using LMP to date pregnancies, though. If you know your ovulation date, count back 14 days and give that as your LMP, or your pregnancy is going to be misdated, no matter how sure you are of conception. Mine was conceived through IUI, so no issue on dates, and I had to argue with every health care professional I dealt with because they only cared about LMP, which in my case was not 14 days before ovulation. If you have long cycles, you could be 44w LMP and still have a premature (35-weeks past conception) baby.
not trying to thread - jack, but I'm wondering about LMP versus ultrasound dates... my lmp date puts me at 8/28 (I had short cycles - 25 days). However two ultrasounds put my due date at 8/18, which is what we've been going with for my own sanity. Doctor says this baby will be huge (although I pushed out DD - 8lb 14 oz. in 20 minutes), so I worry about going full term. Then I worry about what full term means.

If my calendar date would be the 28th, aren't I already shorting him 10 days by looking at the 18th? I'll be happy to get the castor oil going (well, maybe not happy but...) but don't want complications from my eagerness to have most of my body back to myself (I say most because of nursing)

I'm just overthinking this probably.... but any input?
Old 08-01-2009, 05:47 PM   #40
allyphoe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsmom View Post
my lmp date puts me at 8/28 (I had short cycles - 25 days).
Without knowing ovulation date, your normal cycle length doesn't help much more than LMP does.

Back-calculating, I come up with LMP of 11/21, and "assumed" ovulation / conception (as opposed to the date the sperm came into play, which could be as much as 5 days before ovulation, another reason that saying "I know my dates" when you don't know when you ovulated doesn't really work) of 12/5.

But assuming that this would have been a typical 25-day cycle (maybe a reasonable assumption, maybe not), and that you have a normal luteal phase of somewhere between 10 and 16 days (a reasonable assumption, but not very precise), conception would be somewhere between 11/30 and 12/6, with 12/2 a most-likely conception date.

Calculating forward again, that gives you a possible 40-week date somewhere between 8/23 and 8/29, with 8/25 being most-likely.

Quote:
two ultrasounds put my due date at 8/18, which is what we've been going with for my own sanity.
Early ultrasound can date a pregnancy pretty accurately - within a couple days for a 6 or 8-week ultrasound.

If this was a 20-week or later ultrasound, it can't be used for dating - the "date" it gives you is "measurement equivalent to 50th percentile of babies of that gestational age." It would be like saying your baby was 10 pounds at its 6-week well check, which was 50th percentile for a 4-week baby, so instead of writing "10 pounds" in the medical record, we're going to write "4 weeks old."

If your 40-week date per ultrasound was 8/18, that means you would have conceived on 11/25 - so on CD 4. Which is extremely, extremely unlikely.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "for my own sanity" bit. The baby comes when it comes, assuming no medical reason to make it come earlier, and expecting the baby to come earlier because you choose to think of it as due earlier is just going to make the last weeks even worse.

Quote:
Doctor says this baby will be huge
When I was doing my research when pregnant with DD6 (so 6.5 - 7 years ago, which is an eternity ago for medical stuff) "doctor thinks baby will be big" was a much better predictor for complications and interventions than "baby is actually big" was. Odds are, a second baby will be larger than the first baby was. But positioning (both mom and baby), speed of delivery (time for everything to stretch out), and weight distribution (fat squishes, skull, not so much) are bigger factors for ease of delivery than weight per se.

Do you think this baby is going to be big? The last I looked (which, again, was a long time ago), second-time moms were better predictors of their babies' weights than are either ultrasound measurements or health care providers.

Quote:
If my calendar date would be the 28th, aren't I already shorting him 10 days by looking at the 18th?
If your doctor has "due on the 18th" on your chart, and thinks this is going to be a big baby, I think you're going to get a lot of pressure for induction well before the 28th, assuming the baby doesn't come on its own before then. I wouldn't anticipate any baby-complications (in that a 39-week baby is likely to have no issues), and with a second baby, it's less likely that you'd fail to respond to the induction and end up with a C-section. I personally wouldn't be happy with a 39-week induction, but you've got a high likelihood of a good outcome if that's what you end up with.
allyphoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:58 PM   #41
JoshChristineplus3
Mouseketeer

Climb lots and lots of stairs! Squats with a exercise ball oh and sex. You need to get that baby down though for the rest to start falling into place. I had twins that didn't want to arrive on their own and a military hospital who would not let multiples go past 38 weeks...so I ended up with the induction I didnt want after DS #1 was born via induction. Membrane stripping did nothing for me 3 or 4 times I had to done between the two pregnancies either.
Good luck...when it comes down to it baby will come when baby is ready!
Old 08-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #42
Disnewbie76
Mouseketeer

My wife and I had 3 of our 4 kids with a midwife and when things were not progressing, our midwife would literally tell us to go and "spend some time together"...lol...the reason being, the mans "contribution" to that situation is filled with pitocine....the same pitocine that the doctors use to induce.
Disnewbie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:29 PM   #43
Tiffany_PartyOf7
Missing My Mouse

Haven't read the replies but wanted to say I'm 40 weeks TODAY with my 5th baby and no signs of him coming yet...

My first was 39w2d
Second was 35w5d (preemie - spent a week in NICU with problems)
Third was 40w3d
Fourth was 40w5d

So with the exception of my preemie, it seems my pregnancies are getting longer. I'm off to try the breastpump. We are on a short deadline haha - Hubby is going to begin a new job and training away from home so this baby needs to come out this week. Although if he doesn't, we still won't be inducing. I refuse to induce unless stress tests are showing signs of a problem on the inside. We homebirth though....

So yeah, I'm having a hard time with patience but at least its giving me extra time to get our homeschool room ready (we are beginning a more strict homeschooling schedule this year now that I have 2 school-aged)

But yeah, I'm totally ready to pop. I live in FL and I'm hot and tired and fat and I can totally relate to being ready to hold the new babe.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #44
JerseyMamaBear
DIS Veteran

So we had another doctors appt today and still no progress. We are set for an inductions tommorow morning at 6am where they are going to break my water and give me pitocin (sp?)
Thanks for all of the well wishes and advise everyone has shared this past week or so. We had A LOT of fun trying a few of them out! I will let everyone know how it all works out when I get back from the hospital either Sat or Sunday!

[SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"]1979-1994 Fort Wilderness & Condos at DTD #1-21
1993 Dixi Landings (POR) #22. #36 2011 Poly, marathon
1997 Off Property #23. #37 2011 Riley's birthday
1999 CBR #24. #38 8/11 Colins Birthday
2003 Port Orleans Riverside #25. #39 10/11Wine& Dine run
2004 CBR #26. . #40 2012 POP
2006 CBR #27
2006 All Star Sports #28
2007 All Star Sports #29
2008 All Star Sports #30
2009 All Star Music #31
2010 Polynesian Birthday weekend #32
2010 April Poly for Princess Birthday #33
2010 May All Star #34
2010 Halloween at the Poly #35
JerseyMamaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #45
lindsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyMamaBear View Post
So we had another doctors appt today and still no progress. We are set for an inductions tommorow morning at 6am where they are going to break my water and give me pitocin (sp?)
Thanks for all of the well wishes and advise everyone has shared this past week or so. We had A LOT of fun trying a few of them out! I will let everyone know how it all works out when I get back from the hospital either Sat or Sunday!
Good Luck and Best Wishes!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: