Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2009, 05:16 PM   #1
Tiggerlovinggrandma
Mouseketeer

OT What would you do? NEED ADVICE ASAP!!!

Okay, I have two questions I really need advice on. Please help!

DD and SIL are separated/divorcing. DH and I go to pick up DGS 2 from SIL's the other morning. SIL's dad is watching him. DGS answers the door with shaving cream all over his face and big splotches of red marker all and I mean all over his arms and chest. We go inside and and SIL's dad says DGS is playing with shaving cream and markers. DGS asks me to go into the bathroom where he picks up his daddy's razor laying on the counter with shaving cream on it and starts shaving his face..,AGAIN. I tell him no and begin cleaning him up when I notice he had already sliced his little face. Just a scratch thank God. I say nothing to the dad who remains sitting on the couch but later tell my daughter the situation. She inturns tells her soon to be ex and he tells her we are over exagerating.

More forward a few days. We usually pick up DGS at 10 on Mondays and SIL picks him back up from us at 7pm on Thursdays. Now SIL tells DD to inform us we need to pick up DGS at 7am on Monday's beginning tomorrow since "his dad is incapable of watching DGS to our expectations". We live 30 minutes away so we would have to leave our house at 6:30am to do this. My husband says absolutely no way. He says SIL can either drop off DGS at our house at 7am if he so wishes on Mondays OR he can drop him off Sunday evenings[B] OR/B] we can pick him up at 10 am as usual.

So to question # 1: Were we correct to inform DD about our grandson shaving with a razor? DH and I think we were becasue it was a safety issue and would have done the same regardless of who was watching the child.

Question # 2: Are we correct in setting limits as DH suggested above to what we will do regarding DGS or should we just go along with SIL telling us what time to pick him up?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
wdwfan16
DIS Veteran

#1 - I would definitely have told your DD.

#2 - Where is your DD in all of this. Why do you have the DGS so much each weak? I would pick him up to have more time with him and to keep him safe.
wdwfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
stacy6552
Keep to the code!

I'm sure I don't have to point out how hard this has got to be on your daughter in the first place. Anything you can do NOT to get into a power-struggle with the in-laws the better.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
Tiggerlovinggrandma
Mouseketeer

According to the separation (joint physical custody) agreement DD gets her son M-Th everning. Of which time DH and I have him M and Th, the two days she works extra long hours and she has him T & W. SIL has DGS Thursday evening through Sunday of which his parents babysit majority of that time not because he works so much but becasue he likes to socialize. Not an idea situation either way for DGS but it is what it is.

As for picking up DGS, DH doesn't think it's right how SIL is now dictating when DGS is to be picked up with no regard to whether it is good time or us. SIL is on a power trip and seems more and more intent on making this whole situation as nasty as possible for our daughter as well as his son. (He even had the nastiness to invite DD to his new girlfriend's birthday party this past Friday night. Who does that??
Old 08-09-2009, 06:34 PM   #5
sohappy
DIS Veteran

#1- I would have for sure told her. How guilty would you have felt if you had not told and something happened another time?

#2- Is there any way to rearrange the schedule? XH and I don't really like each other much, but we have tweaked our schedules a lot to make sure it is easiest on all of us, including the kids. I can't imagine you DD not having a single weekend with the kids! Could they alternate weeks? I think that something more beneficial could be worked out for sure. If he likes to socialize so much, maybe he would be willing to trade Thursday for Sunday or something like that. I think that your DD needs to deal with the issue of Mondays, but you need to let her know your boundaries.

sohappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:38 PM   #6
stella27
Mouseketeer

He sounds like a jerk, but you definietly do not want to get into a power struggle with him for your DGS's sake. I would pick the child up at 7 a.m. to get the child out of the hostile situation sooner and bring him to your house for the sake of his comfort and stability. And yes, that is a terrible custody situation. Your dd needs to work when she does not have her son, as that is 1/2 of her time.
stella27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
wdwfan16
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerlovinggrandma View Post
According to the separation (joint physical custody) agreement DD gets her son M-Th everning. Of which time DH and I have him M and Th, the two days she works extra long hours and she has him T & W. SIL has DGS Thursday evening through Sunday of which his parents babysit majority of that time not because he works so much but becasue he likes to socialize. Not an idea situation either way for DGS but it is what it is.

As for picking up DGS, DH doesn't think it's right how SIL is now dictating when DGS is to be picked up with no regard to whether it is good time or us. SIL is on a power trip and seems more and more intent on making this whole situation as nasty as possible for our daughter as well as his son. (He even had the nastiness to invite DD to his new girlfriend's birthday party this past Friday night. Who does that??
Why would she agree to this arrangement. He has all the fun time.
wdwfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:53 PM   #8
surfgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerlovinggrandma View Post
Now SIL tells DD to inform us we need to pick up DGS at 7am on Monday's beginning tomorrow since "his dad is incapable of watching DGS to our expectations". We live 30 minutes away so we would have to leave our house at 6:30am to do this. My husband says absolutely no way. He says SIL can either drop off DGS at our house at 7am if he so wishes on Mondays OR he can drop him off Sunday evenings[B] OR/B] we can pick him up at 10 am as usual.
Well, it sounds like SIL is right... and honestly, do you want your DGS there for those 3 hours given the situation you described ?

I would suggest that you switch to a Sunday night handoff. You could approach this from the guise of you don't want to have to wake DGS early on Monday am and also Monday morning traffic is the worst and there are more likely to be problems getting there on time then.

Don't turn it into a power struggle... think about what is best for your DGS. I know you are already good at this, but you can't complain about his care and then not take him when he is offered...
surfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #9
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

If your grandchild is in a dangerous situation than you may want to consider contacting Child protective services. If a 2 year old child is left alone in the bathroom with a razor and is using it than I would suggest getting CPS involved. That child is being neglected and what would have happened had you not been there to pick him up?? I am not trying to make you feel worse but it does not take long to bleed out should he have seriously cut himself. What is to say the SIL's father would have checked on him in time??

I would also be picking him up as soon as I could.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #10
caroline1851
DIS Veteran

You definently should have said something...not sure why you wouldn't. A razor should not be available for a child to play with. But that being said, my 3 and 6 year olds were in the bath and I went in the other room to get towels and I came back and my 3 year old was 'shaving" her legs with my razor that i had left in the shower. I certainly don't think Child Protective Services needs to be called on me. so.....perhaps it was a one shot deal and maybe they will now be more careful regarding unsafe things.

so, basically, out of 7 days of the week, your daughter only gets her son 2 days a week since the sil gets him thur pm through mon am??? (and she works long hours on her other 2 days?)what a crappy arrangement...why did she ever agree to that??? Eveyrone I know alternates weekends. (Not that you asked for opinions on their custody arrangement, sorry if I overstepped)
3rd trip April 1988
Disneyland April 1997
4th trip May 1999 at CSR
5th trip October 2008 at CSR
6th trip November 2010 at CSR
1st trip to US January 2012 at RPR
caroline1851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:46 PM   #11
sohappy
DIS Veteran

I have been thinking more about this. Hindsight is 20/20, but in the future, I would make a comment to the person watching the child. I would have said, "Goodness, I don't know how they find these things so quickly. Can you beleive he found a razor? he is so clever, he wanted to be just like Daddy." Then you have actually said something to the responsible party and didn't triangulate it to you DD/XSIL. Like Caroline said, it might have been a complete accident and the other grandparent didn't even know. Granted, he might need to do a better job watching him.

Having been through a divorce somewhat recently (less than 2 yrs ago), I know that anything you can do to work well with the other parent/grandparents helps the situation tremendously. I am not saying put the child at risk, if this is consistent behavior, something needs to be done. But everyone can have an off day. I am sure that I have had situations that would have looked not-so-good had someone come in at the just the wrong time.

I am so sorry that you guys are having to go through all of this.

sohappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:11 PM   #12
Steph9072
DIS Veteran

So to question # 1: Were we correct to inform DD about our grandson shaving with a razor? DH and I think we were becasue it was a safety issue and would have done the same regardless of who was watching the child.
Yes, you were correct to inform you dd. She is the childs mother.

Question # 2: Are we correct in setting limits as DH suggested above to what we will do regarding DGS or should we just go along with SIL telling us what time to pick him up?
Yes, you are right in setting limits. As long as those limits follow the custody order.

I know you did not ask for this advice. But please have your daughter document things like this. By writing it on a calendar with the names of anyone who witnessed the incident and if possible taking pictures that have a date stamp of any injuries that may have occurred. This is coming from being a step-Mom. My dh's ex-wife doesn't always make decisions with her sons best interest at heart. We were advised by an attorney to always document these incidents. This will be helpful if she ever wants to get full custody. Plus it will also help to establish these injuries happened on his watch not hers. I hope I did not step on your toes giving advice you did not ask for but I sure wish we had known to do this from the get go.

Me Dh Dd(10) Ds(6)

Last edited by Steph9072; 08-09-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Steph9072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:16 AM   #13
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

I can't understand why you didn't say anything about the razor to your SIL? Kids get into things they're not supposed to all of the time - maybe he had no idea he was using an actual razor. I don't blame you for telling your dd, but you could've given him the benefit of the doubt, and let him know the situation.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:23 AM   #14
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella27 View Post
He sounds like a jerk, but you definietly do not want to get into a power struggle with him for your DGS's sake. I would pick the child up at 7 a.m. to get the child out of the hostile situation sooner and bring him to your house for the sake of his comfort and stability. And yes, that is a terrible custody situation. Your dd needs to work when she does not have her son, as that is 1/2 of her time.
This is what I would do. I would move Heaven and earth to get DGD out of a situation that could be dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
I can't understand why you didn't say anything about the razor to your SIL? Kids get into things they're not supposed to all of the time - maybe he had no idea he was using an actual razor. I don't blame you for telling your dd, but you could've given him the benefit of the doubt, and let him know the situation.

ITA. I would have given my SIL a heads up that the child had gotten his razor. I would nto want my SIL to think that as a caregiver of my GC I was also trying to set him up as a bad parent. That would be one good way of having him try to bar me from his home. Better to be given access and know what is going on than to be honking from the driveway and speculating.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:31 AM   #15
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Yes, you were right to tell your DD about the razor. Personally, I'd have told SIL as well, because it is his home and his father so he's the one with the power to prevent a repeat occurance.

As far as the pickup goes, I'd go along with the SIL for now. It sucks, but it would probably be best not to dig in and make it a battle. Usually hostilities and power struggles are worst in the heat of the separation/divorce and ease up over time, and your DD & SIL will hopefully come to a point of being able to work together for DGS's sake before too long.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: