Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2009, 05:54 AM   #1
Mouse Skywalker
The Force is strong with this Podcast Correspondent

OT: LIVE Report from Colonial Williamsburg: Final PHOTO update

Our family is leaving on vacation tomorrow. Yahoo! So I may be a little scarce around here. DW really wanted to go somewhere different this year besides Florida . So we decided to go to Colonial Williamsburg. I'm really excited to go somewhere I've never been before, and soak in a little of America's history. The girls, Maggie (DD11) and Evie (DD8) , are really into history and the reinactments. So it should be fun.

We rented a 2 bedroom condo with our own hot tub - so we should have lots of room to spread out.

Here are some things I'm looking forward to.
Seeing some period buildings in Colonial Williamsburg
"Revolutionary City" dramas acted out in the streets
Fife and Drum Corps
Eating in Shield's Tavern
Witch Trial evening show

We have a pass that will allow us to go back and forth between Colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens Williamsburg too. So we are definitely going to get our amusement park fix too.

Have a great week everyone. I may check in with some updates along the way.

You can jump down to the next report and photos here.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post32995853

2010 WDW Half Marathon; Mickey's Halloween 5K; Wine&Dine Half Marathon
2009 WDW Half Marathon; Muddy Buddy Orlando 2008 Inaugural Exp Everest Chall
2007 Marine Corps Marathon 4:28:50 PR (Thanks again WISHers!)
2007 WL WDW Marathon 5:05.08 (Thank you WISH Racing Team!)

Last edited by Mouse Skywalker; 08-08-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Mouse Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:22 AM   #2
AnneR
DIS Veteran

You'll have a great time Dave.

Just remember it can be almost as hot in Colonial Williamsburg and they don't have air-conditioned lines. Get some cookies and apple cider from the Raleigh Tavern for me.

June 2009 POFQ March 2009 POFQ Oct 2008 ASSports Aug 2008 POFQ\CBR
AnneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:23 AM   #3
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

I am jealous. I have had that on my list of things to do for years. Looking forward to hearing about your vacation.
safetymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:05 AM   #4
auroralark
Lives for vacation

Have a great trip! My sister and I LOVED Williamsburg when we were kids. I'm sure your girls will have a great time. Make sure to have some root beer - it's the best!

Many trips as a kid! Offsite, CBR, Offsite, POR, All Star Sports, Offsite 3x May/June '07 Disneymoon @ BWI *
Sep '07 @ POR * May '09 @ CR * July '09 @ POP!Disneyland! Dec '09 - Jan '10 * Universal! July '10 * Sep '10 @ CSR
Jan '11 @ Poly * Solo! Oct '11 @POR * Feb '12 @ AKL
Our Princess arrived! 7/4/12
auroralark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:11 AM   #5
heidijot
I Am The Evil Queen

Talking

We loved CW when we were there 4 years ago!! Check out the pizza and beer at Hazzauhs(sp), and also the farmer's market that was there on the weekends. If you have a chance got to Water Country USA!! We had a tripass that gave us unlimites 3 day access to CW Busch Gardens and Water Country. Did not care for Busch Gardens but went to Water Country a few times. It was a great way to cool off and they made their own waffle cones!!

Enjoy....I am a DW who also like to vacation somewhere other that Disney everyonce in a while....my fav is a guest ranch in Georgia...if you like horses check out Southern Cross Guest Ranch!!

That said we are heading to Disney in 22 days!!

Heidi
2013 Nifty at Fifty B-Day Celebration BCV2012AKL1st Time DVC2011Septemberpalooza2009 WL/BC 2007 July All Star Music and First Trip To WL2007 April Road Warrior Trip to Cypress Pointe 2006 Aug AllStarSports Just The 2 of US 2006 July ASMu BW 2nd Anniversary DS13th Bday2005 April Cypress Pointe2004 July AKL/CR Honeymoon 2004 April Double Tree Suites2003 July ASMu 40th Bday/Surprise Engagement2003 April OffSite in Clearwater2001 March ASM First Trip To WDW
heidijot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:37 AM   #6
hideeh
DIS Veteran

Safe travels, Dave! I am looking forward to hearing all about it when you get back!

Enjoy!

6/77-too young to remember! 6/87-offsite. 11/1996-offsite. 11/1999-CSR. 5/2001-offsite. 3/2002-offsite. 3/2003-CBR & offsite. 4/2004-POR/DCL. 2/2005-WL. 6/2005-POP. 12/2005-DCL/AS Sports. 3/2006-WL. 3/2007 WL. 5/2008-WL. 5/2009-WL. 12/2009-WL. 3/2010-POP. 5/2010-AKL.

hideeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:40 AM   #7
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

I have never been to Williamsburg, but am sure that you will have a great time. Enjoy yourself!

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:37 AM   #8
mikelan6
World Traveler, Usually Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse Skywalker View Post
Witch Trial evening show
This sounds interesting. I wonder if they'll do like a magic show ... or more like a Judge Judy type show?
Old 07-31-2009, 09:57 AM   #9
mejkjj97
DIS Veteran

We went a couple of years ago and loved it!! It's such a beautiful area and I can't wait until my DD is old enough to enjoy it.
Busch Gardens and Water Country are there also and both are really fun parks. We had also done the Tripass which was a great purchase!
Just check out the events that are happening and sign up for the right away.
, Oct' 11 AKV/BW, May '11 AKV,'10 BLT, '09- SSR, '08- Dolphin, '07- Off site Sheraton Vista Villages, '06- Beach Club, '03- Disneyland Paradise Pier, '01- Hard Rock Hotel, '00- Port Orleans Riverside, 1996- Carribean Beach, 1989- off site, 1986- off site

ME (40) DH (41) : DD (8) DD (4)
mejkjj97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
Mouse Skywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejkjj97 View Post
Just check out the events that are happening and sign up for the right away.
Oh yeah, we have our reservations and tickets already. Called yesterday. I booked our condo back in March, and was shocked when I asked when I should make dinner reservations, etc., and was told - "I don't know a couple days or a week before." I'm so trained to the Disney planning.

The tickets are called "Bounce Tickets" now, and give us unlimited admission to Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, and Water Country.

Here are some things we have reservations for if anyone's interested.

Monday 8/3
7:30p A Grand Medley of Entertainments -- an 18th-century traveling show! There should be amazing feats, strange beasts, and fast-paced hilarity, but things aren’t going well for the company. Their misfortunes provide a comedy of errors for the entire family to enjoy.

Tuesday 8/4
5:45p dinner at Shield's Tavern: Tavern guests today dine on southern comfort foods inspired by “colonial receipts.”

7:30p Cry Witch: Participate in a re-creation of a dramatic trial and weigh the evidence to determine the guilt or innocence of "The Virginia Witch."

Wednesday 8/5
7:00p The Air Force band is giving a free performance in Merchant's Square. [I had a good friend in the Air Force Band for many years, and we saw a number of his performances. So this should be fun.]

Thursday 8/6
Busch Gardens Day

Old 07-31-2009, 10:08 AM   #11
Mouse Skywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelan6 View Post
This sounds interesting. I wonder if they'll do like a magic show ... or more like a Judge Judy type show?
Mike. Here's the description from the website. I'll let you know if Judge Judy shows up.

Cry Witch: Participate in a re-creation of a dramatic trial and weigh the evidence to determine the guilt or innocence of "The Virginia Witch."

Old 07-31-2009, 03:10 PM   #12
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

We loved Colonial Williamsburg. The historic re-enactments were interesting and thought provoking.

At one of the house tours we did, the kids were taught how to bow (DS) and curtsey (DD). And also learned the respectful way to speak to adults back then.
It was fun and we made them practice off and on during the trip - with us and with other characters. DS hated it.

We skipped the witch trial though. DD was young and we didn't think she could handle that.

We also went to Busch Gardens that trip.

Have a great time!

Connie

Connie

Doing a quick weekend trip to see the Osborne Lights in December - staying offsite this time.

WDW: 16 family trips, 9 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:35 PM   #13
disneym2m
I am only allowed to visit Disney World once every five years... darn husband. Co-host of the Virginia Dis Meet 2011.

Dave:

Some hints from someone who lives nearby:

1. Bring plenty of water. Williamsburg historic site is huge and it is quite warm now. And there really isn't air conditioning in the buildings. The site is HUGE so wear comfortable shoes and dress lightly. I always feel bad for the performers wearing such heavy clothing during this time of year. I didn't care for Shield's Tavern but you might. Just be careful. If the top floor is full, then they will take you down stairs and it is very dark. May take your eyes a few minutes to adjust. Be warned that the ham whatever is very, very salty. We ate there for lunch and it was expensive, but dinner might be different. I look forward to hearing what you have to say about it.

2. Watch where you step...ALWAYS. The horses that walk around the area tend to use the bathroom where ever and there really isn't any clean up. BE ON THE LOOKOUT!!!!

3. Visit Jamestown. You can see all the excavation they are doing. And it is quite pretty. I actually enjoy Jamestown more than Williamsburg.

4. Busch Gardens is so much fun. Don't forget to visit the new Sesame Street area. There is a buffet lunch near the Griffon roller coaster...skip it...not worth the money. Festhaus in Germany has some good food, yes it is German, but they also have American food, plus you might be able to see the show during your meal. BG is large as well. I have learned that when you walk past the Big Ben and you see the sky ride to the left, attack the park starting on the right. Just doesn't seem as crowded going that direction. OH BE WARNED. To the left of the Loch Ness monster roller coaster there is a long staircase down. If you go this route, do this route early, because once you go down and at the other end of the bridge back to the top is a huge hill. If you are exhausted DO NOT GO THIS WAY. By the time you go up the hill or up the stairs your legs will be mad at you....LOL. It is fun to go to the bottom, you can stand under the Loch Ness Monster and see the roller coaster coming down the huge hill.

5. Have a great time. I can only go to BG on the weekends, so I will miss meeting you. Just take it slow and drink a lot of water. The weather isn't as bad as Florida but it can get very hot and humid.

P.S. I probably shouldn't tell you this, but this isn't the "real" Williamsburg. Rockefeller "rebuilt" it to look somewhat like the real Williamsburg. But it is still great to see.

Last edited by disneym2m; 07-31-2009 at 03:43 PM.
disneym2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:55 PM   #14
disneym2m
I am only allowed to visit Disney World once every five years... darn husband. Co-host of the Virginia Dis Meet 2011.

Just a taste of Williamsburg....

The Governor's Palace...beautiful gardens behind the building. You can also hear how they create laws and performed court cases here.

This place is absolutely beautiful during the Holiday season. They decorate the area in the traditional Williamsburg decor.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:01 PM   #15
disneym2m

A taste of Busch Gardens:

Big Ben.

Escape From Pompei. There is a glass shed to the right that you can stand and watch the boat come down....be careful...you will get wet.

The Griffon. If you stand near the fence...you will get wet.

In the background you can see the Griffon (blue) and the Loch Ness Monster (yellow) and the boat landing for the Rhine River ride. You can also see the bridge that I was talking about...to the right is a huge staircase and to the left in a huge hill.

I don't want to spoil it too much, but bring your camera....there is a lot of photo ops.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: