Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Where do you keep your vehicle registration card?
In the glove box of the car 59 71.08%
In my wallet 16 19.28%
Keep one in the car and a copy in my wallet/home 5 6.02%
Keep it at home 0 0%
Other 3 3.61%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2009, 09:43 PM   #1
LoraJ

I need a vacation!
Wanted to bid on Bare Naked Ladies?!?! The Tag Fairy is Shocked!

Where do you keep your vehicle registration card?

Where do you store your vehicle registration card?

I keep mine along with the insurance card in my wallet. I street park my car and feel uncomfortable leaving all of that info in there.

LoraJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

I voted glove box but in actuality it is in a holder clipped on the drivers visor along with the proof of insurance.
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2009, 11:06 PM   #3
mom2rb
DIS Veteran

What is a vehicle registration card? I live in Texas. I have owned 12 cars and I have never had a registration card.

7/80 offsite, 7/84 offsite, 10/96 honeymoon at CBR, 9/03 Contemporary Wing, 12/04 SSR & AKL, 4/05 OKW & CSR, 9/05 BWV & OKW, 12/06 CSR & SSR, 06/07 VWL & BCV, 09/07 AKV & BWV, 09/09 BLT & SSR, 05/10 BWV & BCV, AKL & BLT 02/13, 05/13 Pop Century Work Trip, Halloween @ SSR

mom2rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:07 PM   #4
georgina
I dream of Mousey with the big black ears
I've embraced my gray hairs

We keep them in the cars. Ours are parked in a garage or the driveway in back of the house. With 3 cars and 3 drivers, it would be a pain to carry all those registration and insurance cards around in our wallets.

mom2rb, the registration card shows who the car is registered to (owned by). When stopped by the police around here, you have to produce your license, the car registration, and proof of insurance. I get a new registration card every year when I pay my $36 car registration renewal.

georgina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:09 PM   #5
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rb View Post
What is a vehicle registration card? I live in Texas. I have owned 12 cars and I have never had a registration card.

I'm so glad you said that... I was beginning to think I was crazy! Er, crazier.

I've always seen cop shows where they pull someone over and say, "License and registration, please," and I've never been able to figure out what that meant!

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 48) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (48)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:11 PM   #6
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

I was taught people should not put it in their glove compartment. If someone steals your car and you haven't realized and reported it in yet, and the guy who stole your car gets stopped, he won't be able to grab the registration & show it to the cops.

The cop will ask him who owns the car and then call it in for verification. Since the thief doesn't know whose car it is and doesn't have the registration, the theft may get stopped right then & there. But, if he's able to grab a quick glance at the registration before handing it over to the cop, he'd be able to make up something like, this belongs to my girlfriend & I was just going to pick up diapers. The cop may let him & your car go on their merry way.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:12 PM   #7
AKL_Megs
I'd Rather Be At AKL!!!
I feel exposed if I'm not covered

Mine is ALWAYS in my wallet, with me.

My DH is a police officer, and keeping your registration in your car is like an open invitation for a car thief to say, "Oh, good! I have THEIR car to drive to THEIR house, which I now have the address to... and since their car is HERE and not THERE, then THEY probably aren't there, neighbors would EXPECT their car in their driveway, so it will probably be easy for me to rob their HOUSE, too!"

It happens every day.

AKL_Megs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:15 PM   #8
Mickeyistheman
DIS Veteran

Thank God I am not the only one!!!

Since I could drive, I had always thought what if my car got stolen and they had my registration. So for a while I kept it in my purse aka wallet.

One day my mother took my car.....of course she got stopped by police they were just doing a routine check at the end of the month for insurance etc.

She didn't have the registration!!!!!!!!!!!! I literally drove my mother's car to where she was and explained the situation. The cop let us off but then he said it should always be in the glove compartment.

Needless to say since then that is where it is, but I do keep a copy with me.
Mickeyistheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:01 AM   #9
storzo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKL_Megs View Post
Mine is ALWAYS in my wallet, with me.

My DH is a police officer, and keeping your registration in your car is like an open invitation for a car thief to say, "Oh, good! I have THEIR car to drive to THEIR house, which I now have the address to... and since their car is HERE and not THERE, then THEY probably aren't there, neighbors would EXPECT their car in their driveway, so it will probably be easy for me to rob their HOUSE, too!"

It happens every day.
We might just have the same DH. LOL. I got the same speech from my PO DH and he added in the bit the pp mentioned about the police stopping the car and the thief having all the paperwork.
storzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:12 AM   #10
novajeanjellybean
One day my prince will come........

On the windshield. I'm also in Texas. It's just the sticker right?
Old 07-30-2009, 12:53 AM   #11
phamton
Proud Redhead
My husband is right...It is all about me!Shooting your own exhaust is like cheating at solitaire

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by novajeanjellybean View Post
On the windshield. I'm also in Texas. It's just the sticker right?
Yes, in Texas it is just the sticker on the windshield (which years ago was just on the license plate).

I moved to Florida from Texas and when my sticker came in the mail, I pulled off the sticker and put it on my license plate and then promptly threw the card away that the sticker was on. I later found out that the card I threw away is the registration and it must be kept in the car at all times.

ETA: I do think commercial vehicles in Texas do have registration papers that they must carry with them. (I found something about that mentioned in the commercial drivers handbook.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:22 AM   #12
krissy2803
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rb View Post
I read this just as I was asking that very question.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:31 AM   #13
IDoDis
Knows the password to get into the Water Buffalo Lodge

I keep mine under the spare tire. Hopefully a thief won't look there, but I'd still have it with me in case I get pulled over. Many times I leave the house and grab just my small wallet that holds a couple of cc cards & driver's license and don't always have my purse with me.
Disney World ~ Pop Century, May '06
Disney World ~Windsor Hills, May '08
Disney World ~Wilderness Lodge, June '09
Disneyland ~ Offsite, Oct '10
Disney World ~ Boardwalk Inn, June '12
IDoDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:45 AM   #14
Justanopinion
Mouseketeer

Another Texas one here...on the windshield. Love it there. It expires in June...Inspection in July. I get them both put on at the same time by the inspection guy. So easy.

Blinkie Maker

I am a mom, step mom, and birth mom.
I am the wife of a veteran, an ARNG mom, and a Navy Sailor's mother in law.
Justanopinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:13 AM   #15
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanopinion View Post
Another Texas one here...on the windshield. Love it there. It expires in June...Inspection in July. I get them both put on at the same time by the inspection guy. So easy.
I don't understand this. How do you prove [I]who{/I]owns the car? The registration sticker just shows that it's currently registered. Is the info of who the car is registered to on the sticker itself?

As a pp said, her mom was driving the car. A sticker alone wouldn't show who owns the car. The daughter had show up with registration card & license in hand to prove that the mom hadn't stolen the car. (And also to not have gotten a ticket for not having the registration.)

In NYS, you have to have a registration & inspection sticer on the windshield so the meter maid won't ticket you on the street, and a registration card to show to the cop if you get stopped.

And I'm curious, since you Texans are allowed to pack heat, does a cop ask you if you are carrying a gun if you ar stopped? Maybe he's more concerned about a gun than a registration card.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: