Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
Circusgirl
Queen of the Moisture Festival
ALLORA!!!

Christmas in July

Pre-trip planning
The Happiest Day of the Year #1
Friends, Expected and Otherwise
Three Hours in the Temple of Food
Farewell Kaleo and Good Morning MouseFest
MVMCP
Making More Merry
Dreams Happen Part 1
Dreams Happen Part 2
Dreams Happen Part 3

It was to be one last trip during the (Two) Year(s) of (Two) Million Dreams, to do what dreamers do...It turned out to be 8 nights and 9 days overflowing with new friends and old, dream catching and dream stalking, a great supply of new jokes courtesy of a ferry boat captain, and the beginnings of things that were until then only dreams.

I’m a veterinarian with a long term Disney habit and a persistent fondness for circus. Disney realms are some of my very favorite play spaces and offer perfect release from the sometimes overwhelming seriousness of my job. Circus does that too, and I like it best when I share it. Sharing Disney is an excellent idea as well and when I set out to share my December trip, as a usually solo traveler, I succeeded beyond my wildest expectations.

There were some huge upheavals during the planning process, but when the dust finally settled I had the pleasure of the company of my old friend Eben, fellow circus conspirator. We also ended up meeting Missy (tothesea), Cathie (catotigger), Ann (AnnDisneyFan), John and Katherine (twoguysandagal and katscradle), Christine (2xcited2sleep), Janice (girlbomb) and her partner Bill, and my friends from MouseFest 2007, Chuck and Lynn (ConstableMickey and nts4wdw). Not too shabby! All that and MVMCP, Lunch with an Imagineer and more holiday festivity than we could shake a lanyard at.

Disney me:

Circus me:

Eben and Me:

Of course there was pre-trip planning...

In June of 2008 I had booked a preliminary reservation for myself for a return to the World that coming December, having loved being there for the holidays and MouseFest in 2007. I booked a AAA rate initially when it was time to get my ADRs, hoping to get an AP rate on the room later. I found out early on that my friends Chuck and Lynn would be there then as well. That inspired me to make it a friend fest, so I dreamed up traveling with my friends Eben and Mick, who are both foodies and Disney enthusiasts. When I asked each of them in July of 2007, they were quick to say yes. I would arrive a few days earlier than they would, then they would join me for oodles of Christmas and dining fun. Eben found some good AAA rates, and he and Mick would share a room which would make it affordable for them since they also had to buy park passes and their room ended up being more than mine with my AP rate. We booked the direct, expeditious overnight from Seattle on Alaska which would get us into Orlando early on the morning of the 10th. I had a blast with the new ADRs, booking Victoria and Albert for the first time, savoring picking old favorites to share with my friends as well as settling on happy new excitements for all of us. We were going to California Grill, V&As, Citricos, Kona Cafe, Crystal Palace, Jiko, Le Cellier and Artists’ Point, and I was hoping to get us spots at Lunch with an Imagineer when the ADR open date rolled around.

As the months went on, more and more DIS friends started planning trips for the same time, so I happily took note as everyone’s dates emerged. It was turning into a super friend fest!

Late in August I just happened to discover that the Alaska overnight flight was no longer on their schedule when I tried to book a flight for January. Concerned, I pulled up my reservations, and got a message to call in for information. Although the flight would still be there for my September trip, it would no longer exist by December. They had already rebooked me on a flight leaving in the morning on the 10th, arriving in Orlando early evening. (When I asked when they planned to notify me of this significant change, they told me they usually wait until the month before in case something changes again. I was furious about the bad customer service and totally relieved we found out soon enough to plan around the change.) It didn’t work for us to travel during the day on the 10th as we already had plans for the day, including a 5:30 pm ADR at V&As. Since it was their cancellation, they at least offered to rebook me on whatever flight or day I wanted or even cancel at no penalty. By the time I contacted the boys, I had decided the only thing to do would be to go a day early. I was happy we had discovered the change early enough to get an additional hotel night, of course the first thing I checked when I got off the phone with Alaska.

Eben leads the circus band I play in, which is usually a good thing. Unfortunately just at the flight debacle was happening our Youth Company scheduled their big winter show right in the middle of our trip. Although as a single player I could opt out of the show, Eben felt he had to be there. I couldn’t change my work schedule, so Eben sadly decided he wouldn’t be able to go. Fortunately the airline tickets were now easy to cancel, so it wasn’t a problem for Mick when he felt he should also cancel because he wasn’t prepared for the expense without a roommate. We even tried to inspire someone else to travel with Mick, but had to decide it just wasn’t meant to be this year.

I didn’t find out until much later that Eben thought I had canceled my trip also. That’s what makes him slightly less of an enthusiast than me...I just got busy again, rebooking my flight for a day earlier, booking one more night of hotel, which gave me 3 nights at the CBR followed by 5 nights at the Poly. I started checking the MouseFest web site and selected several nights for MVMCP action since I had loved the Halloween party so much.

I was sad as I rebooked most of the ADRs for one, with the exception of a lunch for four at Le Cellier the Saturday of MouseFest, and an early morning Crystal Palace the next day, as I was pretty sure they could be put to good use. It was tougher to get the things I wanted, but I still ended up with a nice array of choices. I thought I would lose my time at V&As, but they were lovely about rebooking me for one, so I could continue to look forward to my first dinner there. When the window opened for Lunch with an Imagineer I would book that for one of my MGM days.

In October came the excitement of the announcement of the DIS Podcast sponsored after hours dessert party in the TSM ride for the Saturday night of our stay! A sign up time and location were established and spots were said to be limited so when the appointed day and time rolled around we were all poised over our computers on the link, hoping to secure a spot at what sounded like one of the best parties we could imagine. Everyone I knew made it through in the first batch or were taken in off the waiting list, so now we had a super nova Disney event to look forward to.

Everything was quiet until November, when Eben told me in much chagrin that the Youth Company didn’t realize the band was available for the Winter show, so had done all their planning with recorded music, and wouldn’t be utilizing the band after all. He was pretty bummed out that he had canceled our trip for nothing. When I told him I was still going, and so could he, it was a big ta-da, ah-ha moment. He was able to secure a frequent flyer ticket and could come for the last five nights of the trip. The only rooms at the Poly at that point were very expensive, so as the oldest of friends and veterans of touring together we decided that we would share my room and reduce our expenses significantly. My expenses felt light enough that I started to watch for a cancellation for the Poly at the AP rate for the first three nights so I could enjoy the whole time without the hassle of a pack and move in the middle of MouseFest and DIS friend meets. Sure enough one popped up one day, so I was set for 8 glorious Poly nights and 9 days filled with food, friends and fun.

Next up:

Babies make better seatmates than you might think.

Last edited by Circusgirl; 11-27-2009 at 01:33 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
MrsSpratt
I've got a Bazooka full of Pixie Dust, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Love your hair, love the "friends" - more!

The "Bueller" Family hits the world, with Auntie Spratt reporting Pixie Dust LIVE!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2215281
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-30-2009, 01:34 AM   #3
Circusgirl
ALLORA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpratt View Post
Love your hair, love the "friends" - more!
Nice to meet you, MrsSpratt! Thanks for reading.

I just blazed through your super cool report on your family's trip and thoroughly enjoyed it in a double vicarious fabulous kind of way!

I loved that I wound up with giant Christmas tree hair in that picture. I believe I am now qualified to live anywhere big hair is found.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:03 AM   #4
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

Every now and then I grope around hoping for a Circusgirl TR, and low and behold, today was my lucky day

Great start. Fun picture with the tree!

Yeah, I'd say there were a few planning bumps, but you are a persistant one aren't you! Way to go scoring a full trip at the Poly- your favorite stomping grounds! As always, I look forward to your pictures of that luxurious paradise.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:26 AM   #5
SunnieRN
DIS Veteran

Wow, saw your nickname, thought, how cute!! Then I saw your picture and realized you really are a circus performer and went and because this is sure to be a LOT of fun!! Bye the way, what are your September dates?

Thanks eandesmom!!!
Old 08-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
Circusgirl
ALLORA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
Every now and then I grope around hoping for a Circusgirl TR, and low and behold, today was my lucky day

Great start. Fun picture with the tree!

Yeah, I'd say there were a few planning bumps, but you are a persistant one aren't you! Way to go scoring a full trip at the Poly- your favorite stomping grounds! As always, I look forward to your pictures of that luxurious paradise.
Thanks for joining in! It was so exciting to realize that I could stay a whole week in my happy tropical paradise just a boat ride from the heart of the magic!
Definitely lots of pictures to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnieRN View Post
Wow, saw your nickname, thought, how cute!! Then I saw your picture and realized you really are a circus performer and went and because this is sure to be a LOT of fun!! Bye the way, what are your September dates?
Glad to have you aboard, SunnieRN! I hope to have us safely delivered to Orlando and to MVMCP by this weekend.
September 18-29 is the next blast of Disney bliss!
Old 08-17-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
jessrose18
ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE!!

Old 08-17-2009, 11:21 PM   #9
Circusgirl
ALLORA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
I didn't realize you had started a new TR!
Hi LL!! Nice to see you here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrose18 View Post
Welcome, jessrose! Thanks for the encouragement, I really appreciate it!

I had a bad computer moment last week when I discovered I had filled up my internal hard drive to the point of danger and was about to overflow my external hard drive. I was without computer () until I could get a larger hard drive installed. There were some dark moments when I feared I had lost a substantial number of photos () but all turned out well. I'm back and working on the first day for soonest possible publication!
Old 08-20-2009, 12:50 PM   #10
kschafer
DIS Veteran

Yay...another Circusgirl TR!! I'm in

June 2008, WDW with the entire family, May 2010, Girls only...woohoo!
June 2011, Two week blowout, December 2013, Christmas with the Mouse
Old 08-21-2009, 12:43 AM   #11
Circusgirl
ALLORA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschafer View Post
Yay...another Circusgirl TR!! I'm in
Yay for you being here!

I apologize to everybody for the long wait. Life has been lifelike recently and has been cutting into my happy writing time. I'll be back with more as soon as I can!
Old 09-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #12
Circusgirl
ALLORA!!!

THE HAPPIEST DAY OF THE YEAR #1

When I started this report, Seattle was in the middle of an actual heat wave. We rarely get truly hot weather as understood by most other places. As a consequence we are the biggest weather wimps ever and start to wilt at 80, with complete melting coming for many when the thermostat hits 90. I know we’re pathetic. It felt great to mentally escape the heat by turning my thoughts to December, and a trip draped in ice lights, washed in snowflakes and wrapped in festivity and spirit.

Besides packing to go, and enjoying all the chores that are amazingly totally cool when they are for Disney (it’s incredible how cheerful buying moleskin and Band-Aids can be), the week leading up to the trip was filled with decorating for Christmas, including my annual trip with my best friend to cut down our trees. Time would be really short when I got home so I wanted the house to be festive and ready for immediate holiday launch when I returned.

The day we were at the tree farm, the Newfoundland rescue association was raising money by having Newfies trained to do carting bring people’s trees back from the fields.

Here I am pretending to help put my tree on my car.

The person who cultivated my tree once sent a tree to the White House! I always want a tree bigger than my house so this made me laugh. I rationally know that my tree can be 8”4” tall exactly and just scrape the ceiling, but they always look smaller when they’re outside.

It was great to wake up on departure day and have only coffee and a shower between me and the trip. My flight was at 8:45 am, due to arrive into Orlando at 5 pm. I kissed my smart and talented kitties goodbye and then we hauled my luggage downstairs. My DBF took me to the airport and I cleared security with plenty of time to get my favorite airport breakfast, the bacon-cheddar strata from Dish D’lish. The following photo is a reenactment of the actual strata of travel day.

This concoction is a delightful warm satisfying savory bread pudding with bacon, melty cheddar cheese and bread with eggy custard . I also picked up waters and a sandwich, as I am terminally afraid of being stuck on a plane with no real food.

One of my travel quirks is that I like to board as early as possible and get settled. Alaska airlines still boards from the rear of the aircraft so I always try to get a seat at the front of the back of the plane so I can get on in the first wave. I had booked long enough ago to get the perfect window seat in row 15. I hovered as the last of the MVPs and other variously titled special passengers boarded then was first on the plane with my group. As I arrived at my seat, I couldn’t help but notice that there was a baby in it. I assumed it was her mother in the aisle seat. I waved my boarding pass and tried to politely indicate that I wanted to get in my seat. The mother said something like, “Whatever you want to do is fine.” What I wanted was to sit in my assigned seat. I wondered if she wanted to switch seats, and I might have considered offering, but just then I looked over to see that the baby had fallen from the seat onto the floor. Not very auspicious. Fortunately the little girl was fine, and her mom picked her up and put her in the middle seat so I could clamber into my window spot.

I started getting out my headphones, book and journal. I stowed my sandwich down by the wall of the plane where there was a cold air current that made a fine refrigerator. I was apprehensive about the flight experience ahead, but as it turned out the baby was charming and the mother was not the horror show parent she seemed to be on first impression. The baby and I played some very fine peek-a-boo and I enjoyed her extremely well developed sense of humor. She was sweet and smart, and she and her mom took a long nap early on so we had some nice quiet time during the flight once we took off.

We unfortunately hung at the gate for quite a while before taking off, eventually leaving about 40 minutes late. I had set myself up for a little bit of time stress, as I had taken a chance and repurchased a MVMCP ticket for tonight. My DIS friends Cathie and Missy would be at the party, so it was a chance to meet them early in the trip, and I also knew I would want to run right over to the Magic Kingdom to see the magnificence of the castle on ice as soon as I arrived. I also had a little magic of my own to rig before bed time. I had purchased a cool Jungle Book pin on ebay months ago as a birthday gift for my friend Lynn. She would be checking in very early tomorrow morning to the CBR and would be celebrating her recent birthday while she was here. I wanted to wrap the present and drop it off at her hotel so she would get a fun surprise at check in. I also needed to get my Annual Pass and Tables in Wonderland card, and make a grocery run. By the time we took off there was already no way for me to get there by the time the party started, so after being annoyed I adjusted my expectations to hope to at least see Missy and Cathie, the fireworks and a parade.

During the flight I slept, listened to music, read, and reviewed my itinerary. l have to say my plans were fantastic, and I was eagerly anticipating my first trip to Victoria and Albert’s tomorrow.

We arrived an hour late, and I suspected the luggage would be its usual long time in arriving at baggage claim, so to conserve minutes I went right to the Alamo counter and then to the garage to pick out my car. There was no special car luck this time, and in fact there were very few cars in my category, and none with covered cargo space. I went to the garage kiosk and told the attendant I needed a different option. He took me over to the National Emerald Aisle area and gave me a choice of two gigantoAmericars. I picked one of the bombers, loaded in my carry on and hiked back to baggage claim where I waited another five minutes for my bags to arrive. I hauled the rest of my bags out to the ungainly bigmobile, put my Diana Krall, Bette Midler and Johnny Mathis Christmas CDs in the changer and was off down the road with that special arrival happiness that makes the drive anything but ordinary.

I followed the familiar road, but somehow took a different exit than usual and found myself at an unmanned toll booth that required exact change. I was ready for the dollar tolls, but had no change of any kind, exact or otherwise. Unwilling to drive through
without paying, and not seeing any other options, I nervously backed the whole way up the long exit road, maneuvering to avoid the lucky cars who had exact change, and finally got back on the highway. Some residents later told me I could just have driven through and they would have sent a bill to the rental car company. It would have been nice if there were some instructions to that effect or a sign or something. It did seem more dangerous to back up than was really worth the fifty cents.

Finally back on track, counting the minutes going by, I headed out past Downtown Disney to the Walgreens and Winn Dixie. I picked up
delightful Disney Princess wrapping paper, tape and a birthday gift bag and card for Lynn’s present, and my basic grocery supplies of Half and Half, fruit and some ziploc bags and containers. I remembered to check my messages while going from the grocery store to Downtown Disney and found several messages from Cathie and Missy. Unfortunately Cathie was sick and stuck at her hotel (she was really sick, as you can imagine for her to miss the party!) They very nicely offered me Cathie’s ticket, not knowing that I had gone ahead and purchased one. Sad that Cathie was sick, but excited to finish my chores and get to the party, I pushed on to DTD where I picked up my new annual pass, Tables in Wonderland card and my MVMCP tickets. I called Missy to let her know I was on my way and told her I would call her when I got to the MK.

I was a little frazzled and grumpy at this point from being late (and hungry, as I later realized) but when I walked into Guest Services I got my first whiff of the Disney smell and that cheered me right up. I got all my various cards and tickets and then asked where I could find some balloons to include with Lynn’s present. I learned something that I hadn’t ever been aware of, which is that balloons are only sold at the MK.

Only partially reconciled to being balloon less, I traveled next to the CBR, where I sat in the Custom House and wrapped Lynn’s present before giving it to a CM at the desk for delivery at check in and then I was finally on my way to the Poly, Christmas tunes rolling.

As I drove in to the gate at the Poly, the Monorail soared by overhead, which made me clap my hands and dance in my seat. I dropped my bags with bell services, parked the car and walked under the monorail track and through the tropical garden at the entrance to check in. I received my longhouse request of Tokelau, although on the second instead of the third floor. I made my way through the torch lit grounds to my building and called for my bags. The room looked out on the garden around the quiet pool. I didn’t realize until almost check out time that if you stood on the balcony and looked right there was a little bit of a view of the lagoon. It took about twenty minutes for the bags to arrive, and I was starting to wish I had just gone to the party and gotten the bags later when the bellman arrived. I got out my jacket and camera, and realized how hungry I was. I still had my sandwich from the plane, and I had a brief internal debate about food safety before deciding since the sandwich had been cold until I arrived, didn’t have any mayonnaise and was just ham and cheese I wasn’t risking certain dire intestinal consequences by having a quick snack. I immediately felt better and happily left the building for my first walk down the beach to the ferry dock.

The air was soft and warm and I was worried that my jacket was going to be overkill but ended up glad to have it along on the boat. I was in time to see the fireworks from the boat dock, and then boarded the little blue canopied launch with its jaunty white lights and traversed the lagoon toward the MK. The train station rose up as we motored across the water, bathed in a clear red light that made it seem we were all wearing rose colored glasses.

Then I was off the boat and heading up the ramp to the gates. I got my party bracelet from the Christmas costumed CMs clustered inside the turnstiles and then crossed under the train station and made the turn onto Main Street. I walked slowly, taking in the first rush of lights and Christmas music, and then the ginormous Christmas tree with Santa holding court underneath.

I paused and walked even more slowly as I got to the place where I would turn and see the castle for the first time. After a pause to gather the drama, I turned the corner and took in the sweep of Main Street, with garlands and what seemed like a million white lights leading to the ultimate sparkle of the winter castle.

The second parade crowd was already gathering so when I saw a great seat at the base of the tree facing straight down Main Street I sat right down and admired the ever changing lights on the Castle and buildings of Main Street while the music told us how we needed a little Christmas right that very minute. I called Missy and we excitedly made plans for me to meet her at the Mickey’s Night Before Christmas show in Tomorrowland where she had just settled in to wait for the next show.

As the beginning of the parade drew near, the Dapper Dans came to the foot of Main Street with some big hand chimes and sang a short set of tunes. Then the parade music boomed out all around us and the cavalcade of Christmas and characters began.

Our host and hostess:

Pooh and the Gang:

Nice draft horse (as compared to Cindrella's naughty ponies!)

I love Chip and Dale because they are always cracking each other up.

Snow White and her prince seemed to truly love Christmans:

And then some of my favorites - Gingerbread folk, the toy soldiers, and the big guy himself:

Next up -
A planned meeting and a most unexpected encounter!

Last edited by Circusgirl; 09-03-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:52 PM   #13
girlbomb
Mouseketeer

I'm so glad you got there for the parade, and got such a prime spot! And I love that you took a moment before looking down Main Street at the castle -- I love that moment!

(And I know this is for another thread, but only TWO AND A HALF WEEKS until we see you in Disney again! )
Old 09-05-2009, 07:06 PM   #14
Circusgirl
ALLORA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlbomb View Post
I'm so glad you got there for the parade, and got such a prime spot! And I love that you took a moment before looking down Main Street at the castle -- I love that moment!

(And I know this is for another thread, but only TWO AND A HALF WEEKS until we see you in Disney again! )
Hello fellow Adventurer!

That was a most terrific spot for the parade. It was almost like it was happening just for me, despite the thousands of other people that were there!

Can you believe how soon the trip is? In my anticipations, there is always that funny phenomenon of the trip being far away, far away, far away, and then suddenly very, very close!!

I am still incredibly thrilled that you guys could jump on board the September Disney fun train! Besides having an awesome time, you will totally love the part about how much easier it will be to go home knowing you'll be back in December.

Last edited by Circusgirl; 09-05-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:34 PM   #15
NorweJenNY
Always expanding my knowledge of the World

I could look at Christmas pictures at any point during the year! I'd love to go really experience Disney in early December! Looks like you had a great trip!

Apr '96-Offsite / Dec '01-Jan '02-Honeymoon - CBR / Apr '03-Off Property / Jul '04 - OKW
Jul '06-Offsite / Aug '07-POP / May '08-OKW / Jun '08-SSR / Jul '09-POR & WL / Sep-Oct '09-ASMo
Dec '09-POFQ & VWL / Feb '10-Offsite / Apr '10-Offsite / May '10-BCV, SSR, & POFQ / Aug '11-POP
Oct '11-POR / Dec '11-10th Anniversary - BWV / Jan '12-BCV / May '12-AKV
Sep '12 - POR / Aug '13-OKW / Mar '14-AKV / May '14-SSR

Next trip... Sept '14 - AS-Sp

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: