Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Dis PB Monthly Assignment, 8/09: Get out the tripods - Shutter Speed & Low Light

Hi All,

I am going to start this early as I'll be busy over the next few days and I'd like to give everyone plenty of time to get started.

Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!

Linda

Really great work and participation on last month's assignment, Summer and Patriotism!

I thought we'd make it a little challenging this time around. I chose this subject based on requests on the "I'd like to bring back" thread as well as the number of requests for help with low light shots on the PB. It was also one of the most challenging things for me to learn.

I'm going to do a short tutorial here geared toward beginners, just to help you get started. The one thing I don't want is for you to skip this assignment because it's too "advanced". We'll all work together here to make it UNDERSTANDABLE and FUN for all.

If people who have an advanced understanding of this subject matter care to impart their wisdom, of course, it's welcome, too. Other sources include the book, Understanding Shutter Speed by Bryan Peterson and a few links, below; feel free to add others you think might be helpful.

Tutorial, Pea-n-Me style:

There are three parts to an exposure: aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. We are going to work with shutter speed this month. Shutter speed relates to how long the shutter stays open during any given exposure. The reason we get blur during nighttime or low light shots is that the shutter needs to stay open longer to allow enough light in, and any movement on the part of the camera OR the subject matter, even the slightest bit, will cause unintentional blur. How to avoid this? One of the best ways is to use a tripod, which keeps the camera still and allows the shutter to stay open to its heart's content, without blur - for still subjects.

Part I - Low Light

Which setting to use for low light? Experiment! You probably want to venture out of Auto since this will usually cause the flash to pop up, and we'd probably prefer to get shots without flash, as they look more natural and beautiful, and less harsh (though there are times that a flash can be used, we'll save that for another assignment). You could use Program, which is like Auto, but you can adjust the settings and the flash won't necessarily fire. You may need to raise the ISO if you are shooting in the dark, as little as you must to get the shot to avoid noise, or graininess. Or, you may find use of one of the creative, semi-auto modes on your camera helpful here, such as Night Scene, Night Portrait, Sunset, Candlelight, etc. With these, settings are pre-adjusted. You could also use Aperture, Shutter Speed or Manual modes on your camera. Try them all!

Tripods come in various styles: full size, travel, mini (< $10 @ WalMart), gorrilapod style are some, but they're available for every style and budget. Otherwise, the top of a trashcan, literally, will always do, the important thing being to keep the camera perfectly still. But for the purposes of this assignment, I hope everyone will try using a tripod.

Part II - Creative Use of Shutter Speed

The second part to this assignment, for those who want to try it, is creative use of Shutter Speed. This will yield those neat pictures that show trails of light, lush watefalls, or freezing of action, for example.

How to do? Set up your tripod and choose the Shutter Priority setting on your camera. There should be a knob or control bar that adjusts the shutter speed however you want it. Times range from extremely fast, to extremely slow. You want to deliberately pick on that's a little slow, such as 1/60 sec for daytime waterfall pictures, or quite slow, such as 4 seconds for nighttime light trail pictures; or very fast to freeze action. Play around with the settings and see what the options are. You may need to take lots of different shots to get some that you like. But once you do, you have a head slapping, "Ah Ha!" moment, and your subsequent possiblilities are endless.

With this assignment, keep in mind that aperture and ISO are also part of that exposure triangle, so that if you're having trouble with your photos coming out too light or too dark, you need to look at the three of those elements together and find the right exposure in order to get what you're trying to achieve. **Disclaimer, I had a difficult time with this myself until I finally got the hang of it. Keep trying!**

Here are some links:

http://www.articlesbase.com/art-and-...hy-495555.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_5020443_use-...otography.html
"Shutter speeds are expressed as fractions like 1/1000 and 1/60 or 30” if the time is long enough for whole numbers, in this case thirty seconds. Fractions can be a bit confusing if you aren’t accustomed to working with them so just remember, the smaller the bottom number the slower the shutter speed."

Remember, since the whole purpose here is to learn and try new techniques, we want to get NEW pictures. Post as many, as often as you like, and try to post EXIF data if you can so we can all learn from them.

Have fun!!

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013

Last edited by Pea-n-Me; 01-01-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:35 PM   #2
YesDear
Admired by the Tag Fairy for such a brilliant user name!Looks more like Sully, acts more like Stitch

Quite the little professor here!!! I like it!

"Also cute and fluffy" Stitch
YesDear is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-28-2009, 06:38 PM   #3
JoeDif
DIS Veteran

Great timing for this topic My new tripod just recently arrived from B & H and I'm itching to do some low light experimentation

My SmugMug

Objects in this post are closer than they appear
JoeDif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

What? No questions?

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Old 07-28-2009, 09:06 PM   #5
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

I actually took this handheld at 1/15 of a second. I think IS and having lots of light helped me out here. Definitely not a low light shot but a somewhat long shutter (as long as I could get it... any longer and it was overexposed).

This was taken on Sunday. I definitely need to get out more with the tripod, especially if I'm going to be shooting Wishes and Illuminations in 40 days.

scoot241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:05 PM   #6
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

This sounds like fun. I have an idea I want to try out for fast and slow shutter speeds. Can't wait to see what everyone does.
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
ColleenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:02 AM   #7
GoofyontheHiSeas
Do you know the Nutmeg Man.. The king of whats left

With 14 days until we leave for WDW this is one area that I have not practiced since getting my DSLR. So my DW and I left the kids at home tonight to go shoot some night shots. I really wanted to shoot some freeway over pass shots but could not find what I wanted. So we decided to head to one of our local strip malls (well it is a very nice strip mall). After taking a few practice shots I wound up setting the camera @ ISO 200 f/10 and mostly 4 sec.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
GoofyontheHiSeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:30 AM   #8
Frantasmic
*crickets*
I just tell everyone I'm the CPIC for the day

I recently returned from a trip to Carlsbad Caverns and took my tripod on the trek to the bottom in the Big Room, where the really large formations are.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:21 AM   #9
Amy
MamaGrumpy

Thanks again for doing this, Linda! And I liked your tutorial - easy to understand, but not too much info that people are saying "huh?".

Now to figure out what to take photos of.....

June 1999 - Port Orleans (now POFQ) June 2001 - POFQ/HRH June 2003 - WL/HRH July 2004 - DL/Calif Adv June 2005 - WL/HRH Dec. 2005 - WL (DS band trip!) June 2007 - WL/HRH Nov./Dec. 2007 - Pop (band trip with both DS's!) Oct 2011 - Pop
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:21 PM   #10
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

Shutter speed is something I have been playing with for the last two months so these from June and July are just about new:

Shutter speed: 1/125 sec
Aperture: 6.7
Exposure mode: Tv
ISO: 200
Lens: 70 to 200mm
Focal length: 149mm

The idea is to use a slower shutter speed than normal to reinforce the impression of speed. 1/125 is about two stops slower than I would normally use for race cars.

Shutter speed: 1 sec
Aperture: 11
Exposure mode: Tv
Lens: 24 to 105mm
Focal length: 24mm

This is from using a very dark ND filter in daylight to get slow shutter speeds. The idea was to show some motion and the turntable moved slowly so 1 second seemed about right.

Shutter speed: 0.3 sec, 1/10 sec, 1.5 sec
Aperture: 6.7
Exposure mode: Av
ISO: 100
Lens: 24 to 105mm
Focal length: 55mm

This is from a HDR of three exposures. The ND filter was used to get a slow shutter speed for that flowing effect and to use a medium aperture for best sharpness.

More to come... in August.
boB

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

Last edited by boBQuincy; 07-29-2009 at 10:02 PM.
boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:00 PM   #11
NostalgicDad
"I Love The Nostalgic, Myself. I Hope We Never Lose Some Of The Things Of The Past."-WD

Bob, great job and especially like the race car.

My Disney and other images can be seen HERE

D700...D300...MB-D10 grip...Nikkor 70-200VR f/2.8...Nikkor 70-300VR...Nikkor 24-120VR f/4...Nikkor 50 f/1.8...Sigma 18-50 f/2.8...Sigma 10-20...SB900...Elinchrom Studio Gear

myself (Danny) DW DS20 DD16 DS13 sidra gracie sophie
NostalgicDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:17 PM   #12
Gdad
I'm fuzzy on the whole good-bad thing

Excellent topic Linda! I am looking forward to it.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:04 AM   #13
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Bumping up so we don't get lost!

Old 08-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #14
JoeDif
DIS Veteran

Nothing exceptional with this one. I took the new tripod out for a spin and took this around twilight under a canopy of trees

Shutter speed: 2.5 sec
Aperture: 18
Exposure mode: Manual
Focal length: 40mm

My SmugMug

Objects in this post are closer than they appear
JoeDif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #15
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

I finally got a chance to go over to our local boardwalk at night. Night photography is something I definately want to get some practice at. I love all the night WDW pics you guys post on here. So this was a good starting point for me.

This is an electric palm tree at the end of the pier that has a bar and restaurant on it.

ISO 800, 0.8 sec, f/16, 49mm

Just a bar along the boardwalk. I really need to get a remote shutter release. I wasn't even thinking while I was there. I used my kit lens, should have pulled out my 50 mm f/1.8 (DUH)

ISO 200,1.6 sec, f/29 55mm

Some rides in motion. These were fun to get, if only I could have cleared out the crowds.

ISO 400, 1/2 sec, f/16, 18mm

ISO 800, 1/6 sec, f/14, 18mm

ISO 800, 1/5 sec, f/14, 18mm

Any critiques are welcome.
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
ColleenG is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: