Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-30-2009, 09:57 AM   #121
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...
 
pilferk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 6,556

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonet View Post
Pilferk - I have a PD menu but the number isn't on there. I just called AKL (call center) and they didn't have a number but connected me to PD. Then I asked the woman what her number was (407) 938-4720
Thanks a ton!!!
__________________
Disney dreamin'...Somewhere!
11 9 7 (...our little Disney Souvenir)
pilferk is offline  
Old 07-30-2009, 09:59 AM   #122
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!
 
kimmar067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: "Exit 16W" of the Land of the Last!
Posts: 90,855

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post
....One other caveat: I'm not figuring in the 12% tax rate on the hotel rooms, either...and there ISN'T usually any tax charged by those renting points.
...wow, I didn't know that...
__________________
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
kimmar067 is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-30-2009, 10:01 AM   #123
johnsonet
DIS Veteran
 
johnsonet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SC
Posts: 5,463

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post
Thanks a ton!!!
You're welcome
johnsonet is offline  
Old 07-30-2009, 10:32 AM   #124
tarak
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: central PA
Posts: 1,266

Thanks for all the info, pilferk - DVC points would definitely be a way to go. I was sort of hoping we'd be able to upgrade to CL when we get to AKL this September so we can take advantage of the sunrise safari. My mom and I would both enjoy it and so would the kids (no screaming toddlers, I promise ). Why you would subject everyone else to that is beyond me - it's also cruel to do that to your child. But then I will march my kids out of just about anywhere at the first sign of a tantrum.

If we end up waiting until next year to go on the sunrise safari, my husband and son probably won't even bother to get up to go. I told DH about it and he's not thrilled with the idea of getting up that early to go on a safari in Florida. My older daughter, on the other hand, got up at 6:15 this morning to make muffins. My middle child likes to sleep in, but also hates to be left out, so I imagine she'd be up for going along. I also mentioned to DH that, since we'd only be at AKL for the first two nights of our trip next Dec., he can just stay home with our son those two nights and then meet us at the Poly afterwards - that would solve any issues about the size of our party.

Starting to get excited about our trip, now. I honestly have wanted to stay at AKL since I knew it existed.
tarak is offline  
Old 07-30-2009, 10:38 AM   #125
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...
 
pilferk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 6,556

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarak View Post
Thanks for all the info, pilferk - DVC points would definitely be a way to go. I was sort of hoping we'd be able to upgrade to CL when we get to AKL this September so we can take advantage of the sunrise safari. My mom and I would both enjoy it and so would the kids (no screaming toddlers, I promise ). Why you would subject everyone else to that is beyond me - it's also cruel to do that to your child. But then I will march my kids out of just about anywhere at the first sign of a tantrum.

If we end up waiting until next year to go on the sunrise safari, my husband and son probably won't even bother to get up to go. I told DH about it and he's not thrilled with the idea of getting up that early to go on a safari in Florida. My older daughter, on the other hand, got up at 6:15 this morning to make muffins. My middle child likes to sleep in, but also hates to be left out, so I imagine she'd be up for going along. I also mentioned to DH that, since we'd only be at AKL for the first two nights of our trip next Dec., he can just stay home with our son those two nights and then meet us at the Poly afterwards - that would solve any issues about the size of our party.

Starting to get excited about our trip, now. I honestly have wanted to stay at AKL since I knew it existed.
IF you could find one of your 5 to "stay home" (meaning, not attend the safari)...you'd only have to rent ONE CL room, for ONE night, to get the Safari. Just list everyone in your party that WILL attend as occupants in the "extra" room. You'd be all set...you'd just have to check in one morning, and check out the next morning. You'd never even need to enter the actual room.
__________________
Disney dreamin'...Somewhere!
11 9 7 (...our little Disney Souvenir)
pilferk is offline  
Old 07-30-2009, 10:41 AM   #126
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...
 
pilferk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 6,556

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmar067 View Post
...wow, I didn't know that...
DVC members don't pay tax on their room rates, at all...since everything is handled via points. We DO pay real estate taxes...but those are rolled up into our dues, so it's not "extra".

MOST DVC members (I've seen a few exceptions) do not charge taxes on top of the rental rate...and Disney isn't part of the transaction, at all, so they don't charge taxes when you arrive. I don't know if the people that rent points simply include it in the rate, and then declare it as income on their tax return, or what.

I want to be REALLY clear here: I don't actually rent OUR points....so I'm not trying to push anyone toward something that would make me money! But the rent/trade board here on the DIS has gotten rave reviews from those that do rent (both renters and rentees).
__________________
Disney dreamin'...Somewhere!
11 9 7 (...our little Disney Souvenir)
pilferk is offline  
Old 07-30-2009, 11:05 AM   #127
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!
 
Flossbolna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Nuremberg, Germany
Posts: 6,937

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post
I want to be REALLY clear here: I don't actually rent OUR points....so I'm not trying to push anyone toward something that would make me money! But the rent/trade board here on the DIS has gotten rave reviews from those that do rent (both renters and rentees).
Well, if you ever would rent your points, I would be thrilled to rent from you! That's one thing that is keeping me from renting DVC points: I don't want to rent from complete strangers! And the issue about not having two beds in a studio...
__________________
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline  
Old 07-30-2009, 11:27 AM   #128
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...
 
pilferk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 6,556

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Well, if you ever would rent your points, I would be thrilled to rent from you! That's one thing that is keeping me from renting DVC points: I don't want to rent from complete strangers! And the issue about not having two beds in a studio...
LOL...we have trips semi-planned for the next 4 or 5 years. We don't rent our points because we USE 'em so much!! We're even discussing buying a few (75-ish) more!

The two "beds" in a studio thing is one I've heard people mention before. The queen pull out, while comfy, isn't QUITE "bed-like" enough for a lot of folks. I've slept on one (the pull out in our 1BR last trip) and it's the most comfortable pull out I've ever slept on...but still not as comfy as the bed.
__________________
Disney dreamin'...Somewhere!
11 9 7 (...our little Disney Souvenir)
pilferk is offline  
Old 07-30-2009, 12:41 PM   #129
DisneyBride'03
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
Balcony was great!
The closest I get to "camping" is the campfire!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 6,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post
LOL...we have trips semi-planned for the next 4 or 5 years. We don't rent our points because we USE 'em so much!! We're even discussing buying a few (75-ish) more!

The two "beds" in a studio thing is one I've heard people mention before. The queen pull out, while comfy, isn't QUITE "bed-like" enough for a lot of folks. I've slept on one (the pull out in our 1BR last trip) and it's the most comfortable pull out I've ever slept on...but still not as comfy as the bed.
me too....I have our points planned out for a long time....folks who rent their points must have at least 300 or more....lol

*the old thread is still open
__________________
***runDisney***2010 Inaugural Wine & Dine Half~ 2011 WDW Half~2011 Wine & Dine Half ~ 2012 Princess Half~2012 Disneyland Half~2012 Wine & Dine Half~ 2013 Princes Half~2013 Inaugural Dumbo Dare~2013 Wine/Dine

Upcoming: Aulani Feb 2014



1980 Poly~2003 Poly~2003 Poly Fairy Tale Wedding/Grand Floridian~2007 Pop~2007 YC CL DVC Owners ~2007 SSR~2008 BWV/DCL/AKV~2008 OKW~2008 SSR/WL~2008 ASMu/AKV~2009 VWL/BCV~2009 BLT/Swan/Kidani~2009 POFQ/AKL~2010 SSR~ 2010 YC CL/AKV~2011 POFQ~2011 Sports & OKW~2011 Kidani & BCV~ 2011 POFQ ~ 2012 BCV~2012 DL Hotel~2012 BLT/AKV~2013 OKW/BCV~2013 DL Hotel~2013 Pop/SSR
DisneyBride'03 is offline  
Old 07-30-2009, 12:51 PM   #130
december14disney
December Magic
 
december14disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 645

Hi all! In December of 2008 my fiance and I bought DVC at Kidani. AKL has always been my love and I'm one of the weirdos that think Animal Kingdom could be my favorite park!

We are making our first trip home to run the half marathon during Marathon Weekend 2010 in a 1 bedroom at Kidani. In July of 2010 we'll hopefully be staying Jambo House concierge for the first part of our honeymoon! I am so excited to be a part of this thread!

__________________
Trips since joining DVC in 12/08:
04/09, 05/09, 09/09, 12/09, 01/10.
Upcoming trips!
08/10 Trip with 30 friends!
10/10 at Beach Club or Boardwalk Villas!

Proud member of the Kidani Club and proud DVC owner!


Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/kidanikatie
december14disney is offline  
Old 07-30-2009, 01:46 PM   #131
PNO4TE
DIS Musician
Piano Teacher
Can't stay awake at night for the "hen parties"
 
PNO4TE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 31,514

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post
DVC members don't pay tax on their room rates, at all...since everything is handled via points. We DO pay real estate taxes...but those are rolled up into our dues, so it's not "extra".

MOST DVC members (I've seen a few exceptions) do not charge taxes on top of the rental rate...and Disney isn't part of the transaction, at all, so they don't charge taxes when you arrive. I don't know if the people that rent points simply include it in the rate, and then declare it as income on their tax return, or what.

I want to be REALLY clear here: I don't actually rent OUR points....so I'm not trying to push anyone toward something that would make me money! But the rent/trade board here on the DIS has gotten rave reviews from those that do rent (both renters and rentees).
We are DVC point renters. A lot! We have one friend who almost never goes to WDW anymore so we rent from them a lot. I have also rented from complete strangers here on the DIS. We have always had a wonderful experience and will continue to do it this way. We never pay tax. The per point price is listed and agreed upon. No additional fees unless we choose to add on the Dining Plan.
__________________
Elin


"Music... this is the favorite passion of my soul." ~ Thomas Jefferson
‎"Good wine is a necessity of life for me" ~ Thomas Jefferson

In memory of June. 09/04/06. "Keep the board going for me while I'm gone..."
PNO4TE is offline  
Old 07-30-2009, 01:51 PM   #132
PNO4TE
DIS Musician
Piano Teacher
Can't stay awake at night for the "hen parties"
 
PNO4TE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 31,514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Well, if you ever would rent your points, I would be thrilled to rent from you! That's one thing that is keeping me from renting DVC points: I don't want to rent from complete strangers! And the issue about not having two beds in a studio...
I know it isn't AKL but OKW has two queen beds in the studios.
__________________
Elin


"Music... this is the favorite passion of my soul." ~ Thomas Jefferson
‎"Good wine is a necessity of life for me" ~ Thomas Jefferson

In memory of June. 09/04/06. "Keep the board going for me while I'm gone..."
PNO4TE is offline  
Old 07-30-2009, 01:53 PM   #133
PNO4TE
DIS Musician
Piano Teacher
Can't stay awake at night for the "hen parties"
 
PNO4TE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 31,514

Quote:
Originally Posted by december14disney View Post
Hi all! In December of 2008 my fiance and I bought DVC at Kidani. AKL has always been my love and I'm one of the weirdos that think Animal Kingdom could be my favorite park!

We are making our first trip home to run the half marathon during Marathon Weekend 2010 in a 1 bedroom at Kidani. In July of 2010 we'll hopefully be staying Jambo House concierge for the first part of our honeymoon! I am so excited to be a part of this thread!

How exciting, and to our new home!!
__________________
Elin


"Music... this is the favorite passion of my soul." ~ Thomas Jefferson
‎"Good wine is a necessity of life for me" ~ Thomas Jefferson

In memory of June. 09/04/06. "Keep the board going for me while I'm gone..."
PNO4TE is offline  
Old 07-30-2009, 04:13 PM   #134
jenfur
DIS Veteran
 
jenfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Bassett , Virginia
Posts: 1,553

These threads have converted me and DH. We reserved a 2BR at BLT with a MKV, but after all the pics, we switched to 2BR savannah at Kidani. The theming is just so much nicer!
jenfur is offline  
Old 07-30-2009, 04:17 PM   #135
DisneyBride'03
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
Balcony was great!
The closest I get to "camping" is the campfire!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 6,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfur View Post
These threads have converted me and DH. We reserved a 2BR at BLT with a MKV, but after all the pics, we switched to 2BR savannah at Kidani. The theming is just so much nicer!
Congrats I have been in the models...so much space and 3 bathrooms
__________________
***runDisney***2010 Inaugural Wine & Dine Half~ 2011 WDW Half~2011 Wine & Dine Half ~ 2012 Princess Half~2012 Disneyland Half~2012 Wine & Dine Half~ 2013 Princes Half~2013 Inaugural Dumbo Dare~2013 Wine/Dine

Upcoming: Aulani Feb 2014



1980 Poly~2003 Poly~2003 Poly Fairy Tale Wedding/Grand Floridian~2007 Pop~2007 YC CL DVC Owners ~2007 SSR~2008 BWV/DCL/AKV~2008 OKW~2008 SSR/WL~2008 ASMu/AKV~2009 VWL/BCV~2009 BLT/Swan/Kidani~2009 POFQ/AKL~2010 SSR~ 2010 YC CL/AKV~2011 POFQ~2011 Sports & OKW~2011 Kidani & BCV~ 2011 POFQ ~ 2012 BCV~2012 DL Hotel~2012 BLT/AKV~2013 OKW/BCV~2013 DL Hotel~2013 Pop/SSR
DisneyBride'03 is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Babies Travel Lite Davids-Coco Disney Cruise Line Forum 2 04-13-2010 05:09 PM
AKL LITE II - We're #2, but we try harder.... kimmar067 Disney Resorts 3823 08-13-2009 09:46 PM
Anyone ever buy a refurbished ds lite from gamestop? r4blessings Budget Board 8 07-26-2009 02:28 PM
Nintendo DS Lite - Seizures & Children - Question summerrluvv Community Board 17 07-24-2009 10:21 AM
What is the difference between the Nintendo DS(lite) and the DS I? Creekermom Community Board 11 07-12-2009 08:36 PM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: