Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
mhl1414
Mouseketeer

Opinions needed, is poly worth it?

I had booked a cruise next year and am going to stay at Disney for 5 nights before. It was suspose to be a family trip, but due to a recent seperation it will now just be me, ds(12) and dd(will be 2). I usually stay at POR and like it alot, however I was thinking with a stroller and just me to deal with it maybe I should stay on the Monorail to make it easier and less stressful. I have always wanted to stay at the Poly, hower it is $1,600 higher than POR. This is do able for me, but I will be working some overtime to swing the extra cost. So my question is, is it worth the extra money for the convinience or should I save the money?
mhl1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:06 AM   #2
kleigh1969
Mouseketeer

As long as you can swing the cost, why not treat yourself? Sounds like you may have had some stress in your life recently and deserve a break. You will love the Poly and the convenience of staying there. It is a very magical and calming place.

However, if the money is better spent on something else, or perhaps put toward another trip sometime, I'm sure you will have a good time at POR.
kleigh1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-22-2010, 08:08 AM   #3
Clare Voince
In Spiritual Repose

If you have to work overtime to do it, then no. I love the poly, and always stay deluxe, but I'm single and I can afford it, while still keeping a safety net of savings for me. If your budget is tight, there are much more important things.

My Disney Photo Gallery

Click here to see my burial place at the Haunted Mansion.
Sept 2014 - Boardwalk Inn / Sept 2012 - WDW Dolphin / Oct 2007 - Polynesian Resort & Animal Kingdom Lodge Club Level - split stay / Oct 2005 - Grand Californian Hotel - Disneyland / June 2003 - Boardwalk Inn
1976-1988 - 13 Childhood trips spent at Polynesian Resort, Contemporary Resort, Fort Wilderness, Treehouses, and Grand Floridian
Clare Voince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
guitarob
Polynesian Obsessed

If you can swing it without adding too much stress to your life it is definitely worth it. Especially if you're going to be doing a lot of running to the MK and back, or if you plan on spending a good bit of down time relaxing at the resort. I find the Polynesian to have a very calming effect on me. To me it is very soothing to wander the lush pathways or sit under a palm tree at the pool and stare at the castle.

I hope everything works out well for you and that you, DS and DD have a safe and magical trip!

When we get to heaven, We'll hear "ALOHA!" 2010 Trip Report

1978, 1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1988, 1990 & 1993: Family trips to the Polynesian,
2001 - All Star Music, 2006 - Polynesian, 2008 - Honeymoon at the Polynesian, 2009 - Anniversary at the Polynesian, 2010 - Another Anniversary at the Polynesian, 2012 - Yet ANOTHER Anniversary at the Polynesian and a Christmas trip to the Polynesian!! 2014 - Christmas at the Polynesian!
guitarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
momtobrynncess
DIS Veteran

If it is not too much of a strain, I would do it. You will LOVE Poly!!! I know that if you made the decision, you would not regret it. That said, it's definitely a struggle trying to decide on whether to go deluxe or not. We always stay deluxe, but have often pondered saving the money and doing a mod. We work extra hard, long hours, like you, and for us, it's worth it. Add in the fact that you have a 2 year old, you may really enjoy the convenience of being on the monorail. I'm sure whatever you decide, you will enjoy yourself!
5/97 CR Tower-8/98 CR-10/99 GF-9/2000 CR-9/01 CR (got engaged!-9/02 CR/Married at Wedding Pavilion-9/03 CR-9/04 GF/CR-9/05 WL-1/06 CR-9/06 OKW-2/07 CR (got upgraded to Concierge!)-9/07 CR-9/08 Poly-11/2009 Poly-9/2010 Poly-8/11 Poly-8/2012 CSR-8/13 Poly
Me dh dd ddog

momtobrynncess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
Snape
Mouseketeer

Not worth the money if you need to work extra to afford it.
Snape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:53 AM   #7
vbmedic52
Earning My Ears

If you can swing it, do it. I was asking myself the same question ( different circumstances...) when i booked a few months ago. Ill be 6 months pregnant and having stayed at the poly before, ( and POR), i want the convenience of the monorail at my service. POR is an awesome resort, but if you are doing it solo and want the added ease of the monorail, DO IT! its worth it! It only takes a few minutes, instead of 30 min + to get back to your room...
Old 07-22-2010, 11:01 AM   #8
Legendofthehawk
Mouseketeer

Just depends on what you feel is worth it.

Would I work over time to stay on the rail with two kids? Wait.. I am! So I think it is completely worth it to do a bit of extra work now to be able to take it easy later on.

Our main park we go to is MK, so its very nice to be so close. Plus, there are other benefits of the deluxe. Like movie nights on the beaches. Your oldest can probably still go to NeverLand Club if you need a night for you and your DD, although that's the older end.

It's a stressful time in your life, and imho, you can use as less stress as possible. If you feel that money might be spent later on on something that could take that away for you.. (girls only trip somewhere maybe?) then I might suggest stayin at POR.

2011- Poly!! 2009- SSR Villas 2007- CBR
Legendofthehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:09 PM   #9
Tink15
Earning My Ears

If you are looking for convenience of transportation, be sure to consider that the Monorail only takes you directly to the MK and the adjoining resorts. You will have to switch monorails to get to EPCOT although it does allow you do so with a short walk that does not require you to fold up the stroller. However, any other destinations, including Hollywood Studios and the Animal Kingdom will require you to use buses. I hope this helps!
Tink15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:48 PM   #10
mhl1414
Mouseketeer

Thank you for all the input. It really helps. I think I will reserve the Poly this trip and hope for some specials to come along before the trip! I don't usually see that many specials for the Poly, but I can always hope. We always eat several times there and my son loves the fire show(as he calls it) and with the little one I believe most of our time will be spent at Magic Kingdom, so I believe it may be worth it this trip. I just hope I don't get to spoiled and not want to go back to POR next time! Time to add a few extra hours to the schedual!
mhl1414 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: