Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Just back from 14 days - any questions?

We just returned from our regularly scheduled 2 week July DVC trip - it was great! Here are some observations and comments:

Parks - The MK was ridiculously crowded on Mon. July 13th, and for the next few days after, but crowds lessened up. Epcot was not busy during that week much at all - we were able to walk around World Showcase with hardly any peope there at all! As has been mentioned on the boards, there were tons of student tour groups, but we also saw lots of grand gatherings (very large families together) celebrating all kinds of celebrations. People were mostly well behaved, parks were pretty clean (some bathrooms were gross), most CMs seemed very tired and overworked, and hours changed throughout our 14 days (MK added hours as they usually do in the summer). We went to the parks 13 out of 14 days at all different times as we have APs. Had some great days at Epcot, where there were virtually no wait times, and no people!

Food - We had a yummy 14 days on the DP! Here is a little report that I wrote up last night for Restaurant board: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2241581. Food was mostly great, service was pretty good, with a few exceptional servers, and snacks were great!

Resorts
- We stayed at 4 resorts as we love split stays. Here is another little trip report I wrote up for DVC board: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2241557. We loved Boardwalk best - love the Epcot area so much!! Being able to walk to parks, boat or monorail is priceless with small children. Wish they had a path through Epcot for after hours guests coming back from MK through International Gateway. Besides that, all resort pools were great, rooms were clean and CMs were very efficient and friendly. Lots of repairs/refurbs/maintenance at the resorts too, but none of it really affected us at all.

Weather - We had good weather. Hardly rained at all - only had to wear our ponchos for 1 time during the day, and another time we would have had to if we were at parks, so we stayed at resort for some rest. We were experiencing some summer lightning storms though at night, and Spectro was cancelled several times last week and the week before, but it worked out. We did Wishes Fireworks Dessert Party (Wishes happened each night, despite some lightning and thunder), and we are glad we tried it 1x, but won't do it again as it's very hot and crowded, and the desserts were not that great (they were warm - yucky!). It was hot, as it always is in July, but the weather was pretty good for our stay.

Characters - Good interaction at meals, as well as parks. Tinkerbelle and Epcot Character Spot were ridiculous each day, so we weren't able to get into either of these. We don't like rope drops, so we won't be there that early, so not sure when we are going to meet Tinkerbelle and fairies? Waits were usually 60+ plus the entire time for both of these. Conversely, seeing characters at the Studios was great! Waited 4 mins to meet the Big Cheese himself, and one night last week, they had some awesome pairings: Goofy and Max, Incredibles, Evil Queens, Captain Hook and Smee and Minnie and Pluto! All were available in the Animation House. Did not see any characters outside around Sorcerer's hat at all. We actually noticed that they are moving characters inside or into shady areas (have done this at AK), and that is great for all. We did not see Chip and Dale at all - only available at Garden Grill (we don't care for this meal as it's not good at all) and Epcot Character spot, and in AK parade. Kids were disappointed, but we go back every year, so we'll catch them next time.

Service - As I mentioned, CMs seemed overworked and tired almost everywhere we went. Did not meet one stellar CM this whole trip - did receive exceptional service at The Wave restaurant, and from a Once Upon a Toy CM in Downtown Disney, but that is it. Hardly heard any Welcome Homes, and witnessed some downright rude and short attitudes from several CMs that were totally uncalled for. All in all, CMs were doing the best they could with huge crowds, but many of them seem like they would enjoy working elsewhere...

Parks were clean, but we did notice areas that were not at full potential (fountains turned off, misters not misting, lightbulbs turned off), so we assume this is to save money? Refurbished rides have no work taking place on them at all, which we noticed right away. As the 2 weeks progressed though, more and more areas were closed off for refurbishments - it was ridiculous as some areas were heavily congested, such as at MK. Have never noticed this type of reburbishments and repairs in the summer before - not a great idea with the heavy crowds. Monorails were going through extra safety procedures, so we were stopped and delayed many times, but this was important due to the recent crash. Monorail CMs seemed more tense and short than in previous years, but they were doing well with big crowds, and people constantly asking to ride in front.

All in all, we had a good trip - guests were pretty well behaved, CMs were efficient and all parades/shows were fabulous. We have noticed a general decline in service and friendly attitudes all over the resort though - hotels, parks, transportation and restaurants. It's not prevalent everywhere, but it is noticeable to us Disney veterans, in certain situations. We still enjoyed ourselves, but I have a small list of concerns that I will be contacting Disney about.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask away! Tiger

Last edited by Tiger926; 07-28-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:33 AM   #2
bantha09
Earning My Ears

Here is something that I have been wondering because I haven't been able to find it on the official Disney site and I haven't been to Disney since 2005. Does the coca cola tasting place Club Cool still exist, I really enjoyed it the last time I was there and watching people try Beverley.
bantha09 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-28-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

On the character pairings at DHS: Were they around 5 or 6 in the evening in the Animation Building? Was it a non-fantasmic day?

I've heard a lot about these great characters at DHS, and really hope to find them in September.

Any reconnaissance from the field would be helpful!!!!!
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantha09 View Post
Here is something that I have been wondering because I haven't been able to find it on the official Disney site and I haven't been to Disney since 2005. Does the coca cola tasting place Club Cool still exist, I really enjoyed it the last time I was there and watching people try Beverley.
Yup, it's still in the same place - off to the side, behind Innoventions West, in Future World. There is a sign up in the air, so just ask, if you can't find it.

Have fun, Tiger
Old 07-28-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
On the character pairings at DHS: Were they around 5 or 6 in the evening in the Animation Building? Was it a non-fantasmic day?

I've heard a lot about these great characters at DHS, and really hope to find them in September.

Any reconnaissance from the field would be helpful!!!!!
It was evening, in the Animation house, but Fantasmic was running. Actually Max was only there for a short time, as he had to get out for Fantasmic.

HTH, Tiger
Old 07-28-2009, 11:01 AM   #6
P&B's Mom
Mouseketeer

Are they letting guests ride in the front of the monorail?
1st Visit EVER--June 2008 @ BCV, DVC Member--September 2008 @ AKV, 1st Trip "Home"--August 2009 @ AKV Kidani, Grand Gathering--July 2010 @ GF CL & AKV Kidani, No Dads--Spring Break 2011 @ YC/BLT, DECA ICDC--April 2011 @ Rosen Shingle Creek, Xmas/NYE--Dec & Jan 2011-12 @ BC/AKV Jambo, Mom & Kids ONLY--August 2012 @ Pop/BWV, , DECA ICDC--April 2013 @ Crowne Plaza Anaheim, Mom & Kids ONLY #2--4th of July 2013 @ GF CL/AKV Kidani, Will This Trip Ever Happen?--July 2014 @ AKV CL/BWI
P&B's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:04 AM   #7
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&B's Mom View Post
Are they letting guests ride in the front of the monorail?
Nope, but there are lots of people who apparently hadn't heard of the accident, or, didn't care and wanted to ask anyway.

Tiger

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: