Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2009, 02:41 AM   #16
lacrosse_lady72
I <3 Disney

That kind of sounds like me, another OCP.

I NEED to book my airfare before it's time to really plan out my ADRs also but it's more of a big deal since it takes longer to get to FL from the west coast.

But lordy, do I know how a pain in the rear airlines can be. I wrote about my crazy experiences in my PTR and I hate airlines... but what am I going to do? It's not like I'm going to drive 3,000 miles

WDW: JULY/AUGUST 2002, MARCH 2004, MARCH/APRIL 2005, SEPTEMBER 2006, SEPTEMBER 2007, SEPTEMBER 2008, SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 2009, APRIL 2010, SEPTEMBER 2011, SEPTEMBER 2013
DLR: APRIL 1998, DECEMBER 2005, JANUARY 2012, JANUARY 2013, NOVEMBER 2013

Old 08-03-2009, 03:12 PM   #17
Simba22
DIS Veteran

Good afternoon everyone! Just popping in to say hello!

I started my new position today (within the same company) and so far it is pretty amazing! I'm getting the same money to do a much easier, less stressful job!

80 days to go (not counting today since it's more than half over!)

Ooh I forgot to ask - anyone know where I can buy good quality luggage for a good price? Even Walmart and Target want $60 - $70 for suitcase! I just need one big one since I broke mine last year
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-03-2009, 04:18 PM   #18
lacrosse_lady72
I <3 Disney

Do you have any good Samsonite outlet stores around you? Or any luggage company for that matter?

WDW: JULY/AUGUST 2002, MARCH 2004, MARCH/APRIL 2005, SEPTEMBER 2006, SEPTEMBER 2007, SEPTEMBER 2008, SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 2009, APRIL 2010, SEPTEMBER 2011, SEPTEMBER 2013

Old 08-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #19
Simba22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrosse_lady72 View Post
Do you have any good Samsonite outlet stores around you? Or any luggage company for that matter?
You know, I really don't know!

We do have 2 outlet malls around...maybe I'll check to see if they have luggage stores there...

Thanks for the idea! Here I am searching on ebay....

In my defense, it's Monday, I'm tired (because I stayed up to watch the 11:30pm showing of TrueBlood) and I still have half an hour to go. Then I get to go home and figure out what the heck to make for dinner. I hate making dinner. I wish I go out to eat every night. Or at least order in.

ETA:

OMG I sooooo live in Connecticut!

These are 3 of the 4 "luggage" stores at the outlet malls:

Coach
Dooney & Bourke
Kate Spade

The fourth is a Samsonite store so maybe I'll check that out this weekend.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #20
lacrosse_lady72
I <3 Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba22 View Post
You know, I really don't know!

We do have 2 outlet malls around...maybe I'll check to see if they have luggage stores there...

Thanks for the idea! Here I am searching on ebay....

In my defense, it's Monday, I'm tired (because I stayed up to watch the 11:30pm showing of TrueBlood) and I still have half an hour to go. Then I get to go home and figure out what the heck to make for dinner. I hate making dinner. I wish I go out to eat every night. Or at least order in.

ETA:

OMG I sooooo live in Connecticut!

These are 3 of the 4 "luggage" stores at the outlet malls:

Coach
Dooney & Bourke
Kate Spade

The fourth is a Samsonite store so maybe I'll check that out this weekend.
... well, if you wanted to spend MORE, this would be a good place to go.

Another thing I could think of if your local outdoor store, idk if you have a REI around... they have expensive stuff but they also have very decent and durable REI brand stuff.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:29 AM   #21
Simba22
DIS Veteran

I am sooo happy right now! I found a thread yesterday where people were talking about the discrepancies in EMH....the Disney website has different hours listed than what was on the wdwinfo site. People were recommending that you plan based on what's on the Disney site.

So last night I was having dreams about having to change my whole schedule around in order to be able to take advantage of EMH...

This morning, I checked the Disney website and THANKFULLY the days I had planned to attend evening EMH (one night at each park) are all on the schedule! I'm so happy I don't have to change anything!

I also just want to confirm that I STILL love my new job! OMG it's sooo great! And the best part is that everyone in my department leaves at 6pm but I don't leave until 7:15pm so I have a whole hour and 15 minutes where I can pretty much do whatever I want. Yesterday, I was looking at the Disney Tattoo thread on the DIS I even posted a pic of my own tattoo! There are people out there with some really amazing Disney tattoos!
Check it out here!

I have massive amounts of house cleaning to do today. We're having a tag sale on the 15th to benefit the animal shelter I work for, and right now all of my donations are just sitting in random piles in my hallway and living room. I can't even get the vacuum through... and I haven't done laundry in a very long while. But Ghost Hunters is on tonight....Guess I won't be doing any cleaning!
Old 08-10-2009, 03:57 PM   #22
lacrosse_lady72
I <3 Disney

So Ali, did you ever find some luggage?

I'm glad to hear you seem to love your job so much, I understand about alone time, I get an hour on Thursday, Friday and Saturday at my work and I love it, I usually blast the music and sing horifically loud.

And OMG Ture Blood is NUTS!!! I love it! I really like that Godric guy, he seems really wise... and I'm curious as to where they're going with Maryann, hm.......

Also I wanted to vomit when Tara and Eggs were eating that suffle.... so gross!!!

Old 08-11-2009, 11:14 AM   #23
Simba22
DIS Veteran

Update 8/11/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrosse_lady72 View Post
So Ali, did you ever find some luggage?

I'm glad to hear you seem to love your job so much, I understand about alone time, I get an hour on Thursday, Friday and Saturday at my work and I love it, I usually blast the music and sing horifically loud.

And OMG Ture Blood is NUTS!!! I love it! I really like that Godric guy, he seems really wise... and I'm curious as to where they're going with Maryann, hm.......

Also I wanted to vomit when Tara and Eggs were eating that suffle.... so gross!!!

Maryann needs to go...I can't stand her! And yes, the souffle thing was digusting. It was the first time during this entire show (first and second season) that I ever had to close my eyes. Horrendous! And what ensued after they were done eating just relly bothered me.

I still have no found luggage however at this point, I can't afford it anyway.

OK so now for the update. I apologize because this is pretty much a "venting" post. Don't be alarmed. We will return to our regularly scheduled programming in a day or two.

Today is Tuesday 8/11. Not counting today, there are 72 days until we leave!

That’s the good news.

Now I go into spazz out mode.

Yesterday, I went and deposited Lumar’s paycheck, stopped by the post office to mail out the prize for the DIS Scrapbook Challenge winner, and went to Target to buy a giftcard for a friend of mine who is getting married on Saturday.

On my way to work, a little rock, about the size of a lemonhead candy, jumped off the road and hit my windshield. And left a crack/pit in the glass about the size of a nickel….right smack dab in the middle of the drivers line of sight.

I came to work upset – not because the crack is all that big – but because that was the first time that has happened to me in the 12 years I have had my license, and because I have been hit by bigger rocks (and some chunks of tire after an 18-wheeler had a blowout on the highway while he was driving directly in front of me) and never had that happen.

Oh and my insurance just went up about $20 a month because we moved out of my mom’s house and no longer get the discount for having the homeowner’s insurance and multiple cars on the same plan.

Sooo…. Lumar got out of work at 6 last night and went to visit his mom for a few minutes who lives about 10 minutes from where we work. When he came back to get me at 7:15, there was a loud squealing noise coming from under the hood and it was VERY hot in the car. He told me that A/C stopped working and for some reason there was heat coming from under the steering column. All of this started when he left his mom’s.

So we’re driving home (keep in mind it was over 90 degrees yesterday) with no A/C and HEAT pouring out of somewhere onto my legs as we were driving 20 minutes home.

We got home at 7:45, I called the dealer to see if I could bring my car in today. I didn’t want to go the dealer because they were going to charge me a lot of money, but at least they would give me a loaner for the day. They closed at 7pm.

I called my mom and she told me I could borrow her car for the day, so I dropped mine off at the mechanic this morning. I’m waiting for them to call me and tell me how much money they want.

Keep in mind, I haven’t paid bills yet.

And when I got to work, I realized that I left my lunch in my car. Which is now in the shop.

So anyway, to back track just a little more, my friend called me Thursday to tell me that they were up here in CT visiting and they were having a birthday party for her daughter (my God Daughter) on Saturday. She called me Thursday to tell me about a birthday party that would be held within the next 48 hours. So on Saturday morning, The Lumar and I get up and run to Toys R Us to look for gifts for a 6 year old. What does a 6 year old girl like these days? Hello Kitty, Wizards of Waverly Place, and of course, The Jonas Brothers.

So we run around the store like mad for about an hour. I found a Hello Kitty purse/beach bag, a Hello Kitty t-shirt, a Wizards of WP t-shirt, and a Jonas Brother’s stationary set. Then I saw the Jonas Brother’s t-shirt. It was perfect. I wanted it.

I walk over to the rack….

And some skinny little twit jumps in front of me and grabs the LAST ONE in a size small. Which, of course, it the size I need for my God Daughter. I was about to tackle her, but decided against it. So I sadly sulk my way up towards the registers and I’m in the wrapping paper section looking for a gift bag, when I see the Skinny Little Twit walk by, WITHOUT the shirt! I whisper to Lumar “she ditched the shirt, find it, find it now!” We backtrack and I spot it, in all it’s baby blue glory, hanging from a random shelf in the musical instruments aisle. I snatched it and ran to the register. But not before I picked up a Hello Kitty purse for myself….

$75 later we were leaving Toys R Us and now trying to pack everything into the gift bag while sitting in the car in the parking lot baking in the sun. The party had started at 12. It was now 12:30 and we were 20 minutes away.

So we arrive at the party and are like, the 3rd people there. We stand around talking and catching up, when I notice there is a little dog in a crate under the porch. My friend tells me it’s hers. A little long hair Chihuahua named Alexis. She’s 6 months old, I’m told.

For those of you new to my trip reports, I am an animal rescue volunteer. I have been in the “business” (the non-profit type lol) for about 4 years. My friend, has known me for 10 years so this is something that she is well aware of. She got her dog from a breeder. Then she tells me (and a few other people who happened to be standing around) that she will get the dog spayed…after they breed her.

For someone who works in animal rescue, this the equivalent of finding out that your best friend is sleeping with your mortal enemy. Talk about a stab in the back. Approximately 3 – 4 million cats and dogs are euthanized every year because of overpopulation. Because there are already homeless pets out there who breed because it’s natural. Then we add in all the people who breed for money or because they want a “status” pet (the cockapoos, and labradoodles, and puggles, and what have you). People would rather CREATE a breed then adopt from a shelter and risk getting a “mutt.”

3 – 4 MILLION. Put to sleep simply because there is not enough space in the shelters, and not enough available homes.

So I try not to think about it because all it does it make me sick to my stomache.

Oh and I got sunburned at this party and it hurt really bad and now it just itches like crazy. Just to add insult to injury. Or injury to insult. Either way.

So then I come to work on Monday and another friend of mine who I’ve known for about a year, tells me that he was at the mall on Saturday…and bought a rabbit from a pet store.

I’ve been volunteering for 4 years at a rabbit shelter. We just rescued 16 rabbits from a hoarder who had all 16 divided into 5 cages. There live rabbits in cages with dead rabbits. No food. No water. Living on piles and piles of excrement. This is the 2nd times in two years we have taken animals from the same family. The last time, it was 17 rabbits. On both occasions they had other animals in there as well. Not to mention, the garage was packed FULL with garbage bags (probably containing more dead animals). Oh…and they have small children.

My friend knows that I work for a shelter AND we had discussed it ON FRIDAY. Only 2 days ago!

Oh, and I got an email on Saturday morning telling me about a Petland Discount employee in Ohio who drowned two rabbits at the store and then smiled for a picture with the two carcasses (a picture which the store manager took) and then posted it on her facebook.

After all of this, I am about ready to have a complete and total meltdown. Add in the crack in my windshield and now the over heating car with the non-working Air Conditioning and I’m in SERIOUS need of a vaycay.

So now that I have totally spazzed out, I would like to thank you all for letting me vent.

I think I need to extend my trip to Disney by about a week.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:15 AM   #24
Simba22
DIS Veteran

Sorry for the rant yesterday, folks! I'm definitely feeling much better today so I think it helped to get it all out. Thanks for listening!

So the final verdict on my car is that the AC Compressor went. The squealing is the belt that runs the compressor, attempting to keep doing it's job but since the compressor is not running, the belt is basically having to the pull itself, which is also causing friction on the alternator belt. The car is not drive-able in its current condition because the friction will eventually cause the alternator belt to go.

So in order to get it back on the road, it's going to cost $924.44

Nikki - I'm sure you remember in one of my previous trip reports that I had to have work done on my car right before another Disney Trip And the paycheck that I just got on Friday included 2 weeks of regular pay plus 12 hours of overtime. I was thinking to myself on Sunday how nice it will be to use that check to put towards the trip.

So much for that

But it will all come together I suppose. That's what Lumar keeps telling me, anyway. But I have to leave for work now so TTYL! Happy Humpday! (Am I the only one who finds that saying a bit perverse? )

Last edited by Simba22; 08-12-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:35 AM   #25
mystikgarden
DIS Veteran

Wow! I just found your trippy. I just want to say how sorry I am for all of your troubles. I love your PTR so far. I love True Blood too! Yea, last Sunday's eppi got to me I had to look away several times YUCK ! Sorry to hear about your car hope all works out for you. I can't wait to hear more on your trip!!
Old 08-12-2009, 04:50 PM   #26
Simba22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystikgarden View Post
Wow! I just found your trippy. I just want to say how sorry I am for all of your troubles. I love your PTR so far. I love True Blood too! Yea, last Sunday's eppi got to me I had to look away several times YUCK ! Sorry to hear about your car hope all works out for you. I can't wait to hear more on your trip!!
Yay! Another True Blood fan!
Welcome to my PTR! Thanks for joining me! I'm down to 71 days!

I just saw that you can now make ADRs 180 days in advance again! What were they thinking making it 90, anyway?

OK so right now, I still just have to pay off my airfare (put that on the Disney Rewards Visa!) and then we just have to start putting away money for our food! We figured it would be about $300 per person, based on what we spent last year. I'm going to put all of the money on a Disney Gift Card, that way it still feels like it's paid for up front and it's as easy as carrying around a credit card. I was actually thinking about using the Visa gift cards instead because they work like a credit card and I could technically even put the tip on it, I believe...but they charge you like $3 per card or something ridiculous so we'll just pay cash for tips!

Oh and Lumar FINALLY created a DIS account! I'm going to try and convince him to come on and post his thoughts during the PTR and the actual TR. Make sure when he gets here, you all bombard him at once and tell him that we need to adopt a dog, OK? I want to get one really bad but he won't budge!

I want her! Her name is MINNIE!!! COME ON!!!

Old 08-12-2009, 08:21 PM   #27
mystikgarden
DIS Veteran

71 DAYS!!! Wow it's getting close !! When we went down in March/April we were able to use our Disney gift card for tips. So maybe you can include that on your gift card. I believe you can put $500 on one card.

Oh and that darling Minnie, you have to get her!!! She is just too cute !!
Old 08-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #28
inkedupmomma
If you live to be a 100, I hope to live to be 100 minus 1 day. So I never have to live without you.

Hey there! another True Blood, tattooed, MNSSHP loving lady here! Will comment more after i catch up!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:05 AM   #29
Simba22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkedupmomma View Post
Hey there! another True Blood, tattooed, MNSSHP loving lady here! Will comment more after i catch up!

Hey thanks for joining us!
Old 08-15-2009, 09:15 AM   #30
ILMICKEY
DIS Veteran

You know people just don't get it when it comes to animals. My sister and her family bought a chocolate lab. Now that it's not puppy size anymore, they want to get rid of it! She wants to spend 700 dollars on a toy something or other to carry around in her purse!

PEOPLE, ANIMALS ARE A LIFETIME COMMITMENT!!

It's great you donate your time for the cause. The world needs more people like you. I love Minnie, she is adorable. Lumar if you are reading this, GET THE DOG!!!

I do remember the car trouble. This is becomming an event with you. Your vehicles are conspiring against you. But you can beat the system next time. Just make sure you have an extra couple grand laying around (ha ha ha) for your car. I'm thinking they know you will be flying and are just pissed off.

For the luggage, I got a great deal on a VERY large suitcase at Elder Beerman. It is huge, I'm thinking I paid $25 or so?? I know it wasn't much. I wish you lived closer, I would let you use mine.

So with this new job, does that mean you will get to stay? Oh I hope so. I hate it when people lose their jobs. It makes me so mad.

Any updates on costumes??

Oh I can't wait for your vacation. It's been too long girl. Someday you and I will have to do a solo and meet up!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: