Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2009, 11:04 PM   #1
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Just back from 14 days on DP - any questions?

We just returned Sat. at midnight from our regularly scheduled 2 week DVC July trip. We had a great DP trip! Yummy food, mostly good and consistent service, and no issues with credits at all.

We have done DxDP, as well as DP several times individually, as well as in combination, so we really like the Dining Plans, and know how to use them. We only order what we can eat, and don't mind asking for substitutions or modifications. I haven't been able to do the numbers yet, but we definitely saved money for sure! DH is a banker, so numbers are his thing! This trip was great for food!

Here is where we ate for TS meals:

Marrakesh (D)
Crystal Palace (D)
1900 PF (B & D)
Akershus (L & D)
ESPN (not on DP)
RFC (not on DP)
The Wave (D)
Kona Cafe (D)
Mama Melrose (D)
Chef Mickey's (B)
Cape May Cafe (B)
Tusker House (B)
Plaza (L)

Best Service - Jimmy at The Wave - stellar service and great attitude!

Worst Service - Chef Mickey's (no surprise)

Pleasant Surprises - Akershus has greatly improved service and food, so we ate here 2x. DD6 was in her glory! FYI - Akershus gives out free meals/drinks to children under 3! You can order an entree/drink/dessert off of menu for free. Chef Mickey's despite still having service issues, has improved in layout, check in, food (a bit) and characters. We had a fun breakfast here. Food was pretty good mostly everywhere! Several places also offered us free stuff for the baby, and always brought out extra plates/cups, etc. for sharing with him.

Observations - Noticed empty tables at many restaurants, despite being sold out online, phone or talking to booking CMs (I checked with all 3 sources as I was trying to modify a few ressies). Almost everyone around us was on some type of Dining Plan. As usual, Studios is horrible for CS options - yuck! As usual, kids' meals need to be improved - although kids only ate 1 hot dog, no hamburgers and 2 chicken strips the whole time, they tired of the same choices. DD did love the grilled fish and chicken, but pizza and pasta is in need of help. Lastly, french fries are horrible! They are using some cheap fries, as they all had yucky brown spots - many fries were unedible. Disney cheapening out here.

Summary - We loved the DP this trip - this is big for us as we used to eat 2-3 TS meals per day (before we had our son) and never ate CS meals. We only bought 1 bottle of water with a credit, as this time, we brought frozen water bottles and they worked out fabulously! This allowed us to get some awesome snacks. We normally also do not care for CS, but this trip, we went to our fav CS places like: Cosmic Ray's, Tangierine Cafe, Captain Cooks and Sunshine Seasons, and they were all great. Pepper Market was nasty, as was Cookes of Dublin for cleanliness, but food was great! Downtown Disney restaurants were packed as usual, so we absolutely refused to wait in a 1 hour line for a sandwich at Earl of Sandwich, so we did many CS places several times which was just fine.

All in all, we had more than enough food to feed all of us: 2 adults, DD6 and DS2. We really worked our snacks and ate most breakfasts in our room, except for a few character breakfasts. This worked out well, as we had a daily midday break - replenished our waters, swam and had a snack, and then went to our TS meals, all refreshed.

I would be more than happy to answer questions, Tiger

Last edited by Tiger926; 07-28-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
skeletor40
Don't you know? Cartoon villains walk this world!

How was Mama Melrose and 1900 Park Faire? I have most of my ADR's but was thinking about squeezing one or two more restaurants in.
skeletor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-28-2009, 09:45 AM   #3
carolinesc7
Earning My Ears

substitutions??

Will they let you sub an app for a dessert if you are on DP?
carolinesc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeletor40 View Post
How was Mama Melrose and 1900 Park Faire? I have most of my ADR's but was thinking about squeezing one or two more restaurants in.
1900 PF - Breakfast and dinner were good. Not exceptional service, but food is always good and fresh, check in is easy, and characters are great!!! They now have a new photo opportunity before you go in to eat (it is optional) and they will come around to sell you the package. It was a great photo, so we bought the package for $29.95. Just wanted to mention this as it's new.

Mama Melrose - We usually have good food here, but the service was not good this trip at all. Server was slow (restaurant was almost empty as DHS was closing at 7:00 and we were there at 6:00), messed up and non-existent. We have always enjoyed it here, despite reading otherwise on these boards at times - the food offerings at DHS are not good at all (H & V is downright yucky! and The Brown Derby is not good either), but between Mama Melrose and 50's Primetime, we usually do ok.

Hope this helps, Tiger
Old 07-28-2009, 09:53 AM   #5
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinesc7 View Post
Will they let you sub an app for a dessert if you are on DP?
Nope to subbing appetizer for dessert.

As an aside, some restaurants will get creative with how they bring the food out. For instance, at The Wave, DD6 wanted a milkshake, but it's not available for kids, so he brought her apple juice to me, and brought her "my" shake. Great!

We don't always get dessert - only order what we can eat, so we share many times. Restaurants will let you take desserts to go though. We also didn't order one appetizer the whole trip. We had plenty of food, as we've eaten everywhere, so we know the menus well.

Tiger
Old 07-28-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
skeletor40
Don't you know? Cartoon villains walk this world!

Definitely helps. Thanks Tiger.

It is a shame that the food at DHS is so uneven. I did have an ADR for Sci Fi Cafe but I remember how I got sick eating there years ago and canceled it. I do enjoy Brown Derby but I can only eat so many Cobb salads.
skeletor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:13 AM   #7
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeletor40 View Post
Definitely helps. Thanks Tiger.

It is a shame that the food at DHS is so uneven. I did have an ADR for Sci Fi Cafe but I remember how I got sick eating there years ago and canceled it. I do enjoy Brown Derby but I can only eat so many Cobb salads.
That's funny you mention the Cobb Salad. We ate here and DH was excited to try their Signature dish - The Cobb Salad, that is until it came to the table missing half of the Cobb! We had one of the worst servers we've ever had in our lives, and so he just laughed, took it away, and brought out pretty much the same salad. Didn't bring a new one or anything...it was very bizarre. Food and service was not good at all, so won't ever be eating there again. Hardly worth 1 credit, let alone 2 credits.

Tiger
Old 07-28-2009, 10:34 AM   #8
Cinderella2006
Fairy Tale Wedding 1st November 2006

Hope you had a great trip! Would love to know how your family rated Crystal Palace for dinner? I don't seem to find many reviews on this, we are eating there on our last night as we couldn't get Chef Mickeys!

Thanks

Our Fairytale Wedding: Disney's Wedding Pavillion 1st November 2006

Cinderella2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:02 AM   #9
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella2006 View Post
Hope you had a great trip! Would love to know how your family rated Crystal Palace for dinner? I don't seem to find many reviews on this, we are eating there on our last night as we couldn't get Chef Mickeys!

Thanks
We always enjoy Crystal Palace - have eaten here for dinner 5 times in the past few years. We enjoy the food, good service (not great), and great characters! There is a cute kid parade throughout the restaurant, about half way through dinner. Check-in and waiting for table can be longish at times, but it goes through fairly quickly.

We enjoy the food as it's always fresh: roasted meats, lots of veggies, starches like potatoes, rice and couscous, breads and salads. Always a good selection of desserts as well!

Happy eating, Tiger
Old 07-28-2009, 11:48 AM   #10
Cinderella2006
Fairy Tale Wedding 1st November 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
We always enjoy Crystal Palace - have eaten here for dinner 5 times in the past few years. We enjoy the food, good service (not great), and great characters! There is a cute kid parade throughout the restaurant, about half way through dinner. Check-in and waiting for table can be longish at times, but it goes through fairly quickly.

We enjoy the food as it's always fresh: roasted meats, lots of veggies, starches like potatoes, rice and couscous, breads and salads. Always a good selection of desserts as well!

Happy eating, Tiger
Thanks for that, reassuring as you have at there a few times

Our Fairytale Wedding: Disney's Wedding Pavillion 1st November 2006

Cinderella2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:05 PM   #11
Pumbaa_
Hakuna Matata!
My first attempts at gravy required slicing
It probably got lost in the scrolling

DISboards Moderator

Moving to review board

welcome back and glad you had a lovely trip I have a friend who was there during same time. She was able to get Le Cellier lunch with 8 days notice. Place was not filled. Server indicated that they had people out - so who knows, maybe they are cutting back on servers and that is reflecting filled capacity. We will never know

Just a reminder, specific tipping information is not allowed in threads or reviews.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:39 PM   #12
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa_ View Post
Moving to review board

welcome back and glad you had a lovely trip I have a friend who was there during same time. She was able to get Le Cellier lunch with 8 days notice. Place was not filled. Server indicated that they had people out - so who knows, maybe they are cutting back on servers and that is reflecting filled capacity. We will never know

Just a reminder, specific tipping information is not allowed in threads or reviews.
Ooops! I am never sure of whether this type of general post is a review or not, as I didn't give specifics about food. So confusing...

Sorry about mentioning the tipping thing - I just noticed that. I will go and remove it from my original post. Thanks.

Tiger
Old 07-28-2009, 03:40 PM   #13
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

welcome back, i would love to hear how much you saved when you have that info

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:24 PM   #14
ehrn
Mouseketeer

I totally agree about the french fries! They are just horrible and the same almost EVERYWHERE! I really can't see why it would be so expensive or difficult to change them up here and there--waffle fries here, tater tots there...or at least improve the quality of the one kind they do serve!
ehrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:21 PM   #15
ehrn
Mouseketeer

irony

I just found out that this guy I went to school w/is responsible for the french fries @ WDW! How funny is that?? He is a CIA grad, works for food and bev, don't worry, I gave him my 2cents on the subject
ehrn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: