Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2010, 08:24 PM   #61
BealsRwe
DIS Veteran

I was just on the Wonder Aug 3-8. No sharks spotted (I have heard about the nets), but I saw a sting ray and a barracuda. In fact, our new waterproof camera was acting strange, so the pic of the stingray is great...the one of the barracuda, not so much. I got his back half only. You can sure tell what he is though! I was quite a ways out in the snorkel area and he seemed to be pretty used to people. I stopped swimming, and he casually swam away. DH and I went snorkeling on our honeymoon, Jan 2003, at Castaway Cay, and the wind direction had blown small jellyfish in. I spotted them first, and used him to push off to get away faster. Only thing is, I ended up pushing him right toward them. No one got stung, but what a great story we have. We still laugh aboout it to this day...well me more than him :-)

Platinum DCL
17 DCL cruises, 1 Carnival, 1 Royal Caribbean, and counting!!!
BealsRwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:10 AM   #62
ramkam
Mouseketeer

My Buddy Berry

Berry snuck up behind us a few years ago at CC. I sure was surprised to turn around and see him checking us out.

ramkam is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2010, 12:55 PM   #63
MamaPoppins
Mouseketeer

Last cruise my friend went with my family and we went to the adult only beach and saw star fish and held them and took pictures but I am excited to see other photos and am looking forward to going out further this time around. She was not a water bug and was scared to go into the water so I didnt go that far out but not this time around....I need my own photos....Sept 23rd is taking to long to get here!
Old 08-27-2010, 02:17 PM   #64
mollygirl13
DIS Veteran

Dh and I were on the Wonder in May.
We were at Serenity Bay all day. I was snorkeling while my husband relaxed in the hammock. I made sure all of my jewelry was off so I didn't attract any Barracuda. I didn't see any and I was relieved!

UNTIL>>>>

My husband decided to join me and he kept his watch/wedding ring on. His watch/ring are both VERY shiny and it attracted the Barracuda within MINUTES of him being in the water.

It was neat to see but I don't want to see it again.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:56 PM   #65
HooKooDooKu
Only thing that beats a trip to the Smokey Mountains is a trip to Castaway Cay
I'm both a 'plain' AND 'picky' eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaPoppins View Post
Last cruise my friend went with my family and we went to the adult only beach and saw star fish and held them and took pictures but I am excited to see other photos and am looking forward to going out further this time around. She was not a water bug and was scared to go into the water so I didnt go that far out but not this time around....I need my own photos....Sept 23rd is taking to long to get here!
The star fish we've seen off the adult beach are not just palm sized star fish either. The ones we've seen were over a foot wide. We've also seen living conchs (sp?) in their shells about 8" long. Back when the island first started (before the hurricanes hit the island), the water was littered with sand dollars... they were all over the place (back then).
HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:36 PM   #66
ibouncetoo
I get excited by the little things!
I follow directions well!!!
I'm not allowed to buy any more craft supplies till I actually MAKE something LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshovelhead View Post
I hate sharks! I spent 5 years in the Coast Guard and the only time I would go into the ocean after the things I saw was to save someone. Now here I am during my lunch hour reading these posts...it's quiet in my office, I'm thinking sharks, remembering old sea stories, and my cell phone vibrates in my pants pocket from a text message...

Will someone please scrape me off the ceiling now???

OMG....thanks for that laugh!

And now I'm very embarrassed laughing at your trauma...sorry!

Jackie '99-01AllStar Movies 02-03Many trips DLR '03 Nov AKL/Swan 04 April POFQ Oct offsite/Dolphin 05 Jan POP/WL,3DLR Nov POFQ/Wonder/POP 06 2DLR, Nov Magic DD 07 May DLR Dec SSR/Wonder 08 April DLR May Magic-WBPC Sept DLR 09 Sept WDW/Magic-Tortola Nov DLR 10 Jan Magic-Western, April EBTA 11 Jan 2Day Wonder April LA Repo/Alaska Nov Dream B2B 12 Wonder-Hawaii Dec Fantasy-SanJuan 13 2x DLR, Nov Dream 4 day

ibouncetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:47 PM   #67
ibouncetoo
I get excited by the little things!
I follow directions well!!!
I'm not allowed to buy any more craft supplies till I actually MAKE something LOL

I wonder if it was a grouper that prompted the Port Canaveral restaurant "Fishlips" to take it's name?

Jackie '99-01AllStar Movies 02-03Many trips DLR '03 Nov AKL/Swan 04 April POFQ Oct offsite/Dolphin 05 Jan POP/WL,3DLR Nov POFQ/Wonder/POP 06 2DLR, Nov Magic DD 07 May DLR Dec SSR/Wonder 08 April DLR May Magic-WBPC Sept DLR 09 Sept WDW/Magic-Tortola Nov DLR 10 Jan Magic-Western, April EBTA 11 Jan 2Day Wonder April LA Repo/Alaska Nov Dream B2B 12 Wonder-Hawaii Dec Fantasy-SanJuan 13 2x DLR, Nov Dream 4 day

ibouncetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #68
dahuffy
Always Be Nice To The Lunch Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by natale1980 View Post
Just wanted to show you the friend we found at CC
Very interesting!

Last edited by dahuffy; 02-28-2011 at 05:35 PM.
dahuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #69
dahuffy
Always Be Nice To The Lunch Lady

bump
dahuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #70
Sparkie
DIS Veteran

I've now snorkled twice in Cozumel. Once from the beach and once from the boat on a reef.

We saw lots of barracuda. This past April our snorkle guide told us it was mating season for them.

Point being..... I guess I was just uneducated enough that I didnt know I should be afraid of them.... I just thought of it as another fish.... I was more scared of the jellyfish... they cant really control where they float... I can see which way a fish is swimming....

So next time, I might just pay attention to that barracuda a little more closely.

Now if I saw a shark, nurse shark or not I dont know if I could play dumb....LOL! Jaws, shark week documentaries have ruined that.... and rays, arent they just flattened out sharks? I do find the pictures amazing though.
Sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:54 AM   #71
capttigger
Mouseketeer

Talking

We just got back from the Dream on June 12 and snorkled at the adult beach both stops. We did see one barracuda but he swam away from us after checking us out. We also saw one nurse shark right up by the shore but was avoiding and contact with people would swim way away from them. The star fish were big. We saw some that were 2 feet wide and smaller ones. It was great weather and we had a great time.

capttigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #72
mla2177
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennypenny View Post
We actually had a barracuda swim through everyone on the family beach a couple of years ago. Some staff were in the water having fun with the passengers at the time. They started yelling for everyone to just stand still and let it go by. It was eerie to see everyone freeze until it passed by.

The staff didn't seem too surprised to see it. I guess things get in there. It is the carribean. At least it's natural--unlike a lot of the things that wash up on our beach in jersey!
No kidding!!!!!
1997-OKW
2002- POR Honeymoon
2006-CBR
2007-OKW
2008-POR
2009-Disney Wonder
2010-Shades of Green
2012- Disney Dream

2014-Princess Half Marathon! Can't wait!

mla2177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:33 AM   #73
Blanche_Neige
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttigger View Post
We just got back from the Dream on June 12 and snorkled at the adult beach both stops. We did see one barracuda but he swam away from us after checking us out. We also saw one nurse shark right up by the shore but was avoiding and contact with people would swim way away from them. The star fish were big. We saw some that were 2 feet wide and smaller ones. It was great weather and we had a great time.

How far and how deep do go go to see fish, starfish, etc?
March 2011- All Star Sports + 1st trip to US offsite
Oct 2011 - Dream + POP + MNSSHP
March 2012 - US offsite + DTD shopping spree (I need my fix )
Feb 2013 - Disneyland off site 1st time!
March 2014 - DCL Dream
Blanche_Neige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #74
luv2surf
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchickie View Post
I don't know what a grouper looks like, but is this the guy you're refering to?

He was very friendly and kept on swimming around and around us until I took his picture then he left. He must love the attention!
Lovely pics! What kind of camera did you use while underwater? The one I have is disposable waterproof camera that I bought from a drugstore for $5 has a terrible picture quality result.
luv2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #75
Luliemouse
Mouseketeer

In my two trips to Castaway Cay, I only encountered one tiny... yet still scary shark.

This was at the adult beach. Like stated in other posts, there are not any nets at this beach the water is very shallow for a mile or so, it is about waste deep. My Husband and I went out pretty far. The Husband is a shark enthusiast; He hated me for making him go out that far. My replies to his complaints were "Live a little".

As we were making our way back, we noticed that people were starting to get out of the water. No one really made a commotion. As we got back onto the beach, we noticed a group of people in this one area. They were looking into the water. We see a shadowy figure in the water. It was a shark. From what we could see, the husbands guess was that it was a baby Bull shark.
None of the cast members seemed surprised that there was a shark out there! About an hour, later people were about out in the water as if nothing had happened.

This happened on my first Trip, on our second trip we only went out a few yards.

Sharks are part of the Ocean; all we can do is be respectful of their home.

Let hope they know that humans are friends, not food!
`·-*
LulieMouse
Disneyland Annual Passholder
Disneyland Resort - Resort stays at DLH, DGCH & DPPH
Walt DisneyWorld - Resort stays at the Poly 2007, DGFH 2009 and CBR 2012 & 2013, DARR 2014.

Disney Cruise Line- Wonder 4 day Bahamian Cruise 2007, Magic Eastern Caribbean Cruise 2009, Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise 2011, Wonder Pixar Cruise 2012, Dream 4 day Bahamian Cruise 2013, Disney Magic 5-day & 3-Day Bahamian Cruises March 2014.

Luliemouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: