Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2010, 10:10 PM   #46
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanche_Neige View Post
um, he won;t have to warn me many time and I won't check the color either. If I see one, lets just say that it will be my cue "ice cream time" for the kids ASAP and a large drink for me!
Me either. I dont mind diving with them, and Ive dove with a bull shark before, but if either looked at me the wrong way, Id be back on the boat,watching from the bridge.

In all seriousness, they are just as curious about us as some of us are about them.Wed pretty much have to be covered in fish for them to come after us.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:17 PM   #47
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
I just googled a picture of a barricuda, yikes scarry looking

I didn't post it here because I didn't wan't to scare people...
A few years ago our son was on the Castaway Cay fishing excursion and caught this......35 lb. Barracuda...I think it is Barry cousin!! LOL!!

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #48
truck1
Growing older but not up.

It happens.Well see 1 or 2 come up on the fishing boats while we are diving.This past May there was a 6 foot hammerhead swimming around the boat that was tied up to the ball right behind ours.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:36 PM   #49
Blanche_Neige
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
A few years ago our son was on the Castaway Cay fishing excursion and caught this......35 lb. Barracuda...I think it is Barry cousin!! LOL!!

MJ
I have a question regarding the fishing excursions, what do people do with the fish after they catch it? it's not like they can bring it home to eat
Jan 2008 - ASMovies
Jan 2009 - ASMovies
Jan 2010 - ASMusic
Sept 2010- ASMovies & Disney Wonder (1st cruise)
March 2011- All Star Sports + 1st trip to US offsite
Oct 2011 - Dream + POP + MNSSHP
March 2012 - US offsite + DTD shopping spree
Feb 2013 - Disneyland off site 1st time!
March 2014 - DCL Dream
March 2015 - ASMusic
Blanche_Neige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:40 PM   #50
Curtis McCrea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have a question regarding the fishing excursions, what do people do with the fish after they catch it? it's not like they can bring it home to eat
I believe it's a catch and release excursion.

Curtis
Old 08-03-2010, 10:57 PM   #51
catzle
DIS Veteran

I like the pictures! We were there in May and saw a huge stingray come through the family beach close to shore. Then we saw another huge fish not sure what it was. Can't wait to go back next year!
WLV May 2007,
Poly LVC May 2008,
Poly LVC May 2009,
Wonder Double Dip May 2010 followed by Poly GVC
Dream 4 night, May 2011 followed by Poly LVC
Poly LVC June 2012
WL December 2012
catzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:22 AM   #52
Jey12
DIS Veteran

Anyone go in the middle of September? We're going on the Sept. 19th 2010 cruise and I would enjoy a few surprise critters to swim with! Wondering if stingrays or "Barry" might make an appearance during our trip?
Jey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:03 AM   #53
sdchickie
Fan of the Mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by natale1980 View Post
Just wanted to show you the friend we found at CC
Was this in the family area? How long ago was that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by com_op_2000 View Post
My DW is splashing the water with her hands to move the raft, so I tell her to stop cause I see a shark. So what does DW do, she jumps off the raft and makes a bigger splash. The sharks turns towards her. I have to run and get between her and the shark.
As I was reading this I got to the part where you wrote "I have to run" for a second I thought you were running away! Hey at least you went to rescue her!
Old 08-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #54
Pooh93
Proud mom of 2 dd's
We are a pickle kind of family
I try to be a cheerful grouch!

DD and I were at CC last Thursday and 2 Stingrays came in pretty close to shore. At first we thought it was the weeds on the bottom, but then we realized they were moving towards us!!

One kept swimming and headed back out to the lagoon, but one started to bury himself. DD and I realized it was too shallow and he could get stepped on, so we gently encouraged him to move out to deeper water and he did and then started burying himself again. We felt like we did our good deed for the day!!
Pooh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:08 PM   #55
txsoccermom
DIS Veteran

Why don't these creatures get moved to behind the fence line?! I understand how when they're small, they can get thru and then grow big, but come on - look what happened to the Crocodile Hunter b/c of a Sting Ray If that thing had buried itself and no one saw it and stepped on it, the tail w/barbs could have whipped up and gotten the person. I don't want that happening to me or my family, especially my kids

I don't mind "admiring them from afar", but not in the same waters I'm frolicking in. This and the picture of the barricuda having lunch is giving me the hebejebees!
DVC Members since 2012

txsoccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:13 PM   #56
MKJEcruisers
Mouseketeer

I am getting so excited about going to Castaway Cay! I absolutely love the ocean. I can assure anyone who is scared of wildlie in the ocean that it is much safer than you think it is. Sharks respond to thrashing in the water and come to investigate. Just as long as you do not panic if you do see something then you will be left alone. I you act like prey then you will become it.
About 15 years ago or so I was scuba diving off of Miami with an idiot dive partner who got us lost. While we were trying to find the boat again we were encountered by a school of about 15, 4 foot long barracuda. None of us panicked. We just made sure we grabbed our gear close to us to make sure nothing was dangling, made sure we did not have any shiny jewelry on and pretended like they weren't there. They followed us for about 15 minutes or so all the way back to the boat but never acted aggressively at all. Point is-if you don't panic you will be fine.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:40 PM   #57
natale1980
"When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me!"... Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchickie View Post
Was this in the family area? How long ago was that?
He was in the family area about 4 feet long.
The castmembers said there was a bad storm a week before we were there that broke the fence.

I guess he got in and couldn't get out.

Don't worry, I'm sure he's out by now. (sorry I couldn't resist)

-nat
Old 08-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #58
maria-fan-22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsoccermom View Post
Why don't these creatures get moved to behind the fence line?! I understand how when they're small, they can get thru and then grow big, but come on - look what happened to the Crocodile Hunter b/c of a Sting Ray If that thing had buried itself and no one saw it and stepped on it, the tail w/barbs could have whipped up and gotten the person. I don't want that happening to me or my family, especially my kids

I don't mind "admiring them from afar", but not in the same waters I'm frolicking in. This and the picture of the barracuda having lunch is giving me the hebejebees!
The stingrays are all "Clipped" Everything else is left because Disney has an environmental agreement to no disturb the wildlife too much. they only move highly dangerous things out. As long as people don't try and hurt the animals they wont attack.

I'm on Twitter! @DCLdude

http://dcldude.webs.com/
maria-fan-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:32 PM   #59
ddpaints
Mouseketeer

Let's just say on the last cruise I was on "Barry" assisted the man who was to become my husband. He kind of kept following him up until he swam next to me. Long story short Barry made sure that dinners weren't going to be our only encounters together.
Now me being a scaredy cat would have probably jumped into Geoff's (DH) arms had I seen that thing. LOL So I guess Barry only did half his work.

ddpaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:20 PM   #60
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddpaints View Post
Let's just say on the last cruise I was on "Barry" assisted the man who was to become my husband. He kind of kept following him up until he swam next to me. Long story short Barry made sure that dinners weren't going to be our only encounters together.
Now me being a scaredy cat would have probably jumped into Geoff's (DH) arms had I seen that thing. LOL So I guess Barry only did half his work.
what a cute story!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: