Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2009, 08:27 PM   #1
CrzyBoutDisney
Goddess Divine

Castaway Cay - Sharks?

Hi all. Brand new to posting, but long-time lurker. I have a question about Castaway Cay.... is the island protected by a shark net or anything of that nature? Sorry, I know it's a goofy question, but I have a cripping phobia of sharks I'm contemplating booking a cruise and want to know how safely I may frolic in the water there. Thanks for any input and thank you in advance for not mocking me too much.

"Dishonor on you! Dishonor on your cow!"
CrzyBoutDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Yes there are shark nets for the family beach and snorkling area. There are none at Serenity Bay. DCL will not let anyone in the water at the family beach if the nets are not in 100% condition, which did happen after a storm went through and damaged them.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-27-2009, 10:01 PM   #3
CrzyBoutDisney
Goddess Divine

Thanks so much for the info. That's a real relief to know that they have those nets. Podcast Cruise 2.0, here we come!!!

Old 07-28-2009, 07:09 AM   #4
TVEPFOX
DIS Veteran

We've never seen anything but small groupers on the family beach.

However, at the adult beach you never know what you'll see. We've incountered stingrays, octopous, various fish in all sizes and shapes and starfish. My avatar is a picture of a starfish DH found in the water off the adult beach.

We've never seen a shark, but you never know. My biggest complaint about the adult beach, no lifeguards. If you don't feel safe in the open water enjoy the family beach with piece of mind.
TVEPFOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
barney4liz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVEPFOX View Post
We've never seen a shark, but you never know.
We saw quite a few good-size nurse sharks up close when we did the hiking/kayaking excursion on CC. We didn't bother them, they didn't bother us. I personally like being able to tell that it is a real island in a real ocean.

But having shark nets at the family beach is good.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:08 AM   #6
jennypenny
Raising 3 disneyholics like any proper parent!

We actually had a barracuda swim through everyone on the family beach a couple of years ago. Some staff were in the water having fun with the passengers at the time. They started yelling for everyone to just stand still and let it go by. It was eerie to see everyone freeze until it passed by.

The staff didn't seem too surprised to see it. I guess things get in there. It is the carribean. At least it's natural--unlike a lot of the things that wash up on our beach in jersey!

I wake up dreaming of the Beach Club...
jennypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:21 AM   #7
tjbaggott
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennypenny View Post
We actually had a barracuda swim through everyone on the family beach a couple of years ago. Some staff were in the water having fun with the passengers at the time. They started yelling for everyone to just stand still and let it go by. It was eerie to see everyone freeze until it passed by.

The staff didn't seem too surprised to see it. I guess things get in there. It is the carribean. At least it's natural--unlike a lot of the things that wash up on our beach in jersey!
I've been told that Barracuda is a long time resident at Castaway Cay. They even have a name for him "Barry"? I think? He's never been a problem though as far as the reports go.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:24 AM   #8
skylynx

Riding for my own brand.

Seen plenty of barracuda at Serenity Bay...and a thing to remember about the nets at the family beach-nothing big can swim in, but small things can swim in and grow once they get inside and then can't get back out. There's an ENORMOUS grouper that likes to hang out under one of the lifeguard's stations on the snorkeling train. He (or she-hard to tell with groupers) definitely wouldn't have fit through the net!
WDW 2 many times 2 count since 1973 AKL, WL, Dixie Landings, CB, VB,OKW, GCV, 5 Disney Institute Professional Programs CA/Disneyland GCAL, Treehouse Villas DVC 2007 Disney Wonder 10/02, 3/03, 2/04, 5/06, 5/07, 6/08, 8/10, 2/11, 10/15Disney Magic W 10/04, 1/07, E 2/06, 11/08, 2/12, 2/15 Disney Dream 6/11 6/14 Disney Fantasy 2/13 2/14 NCL Alaska 6/09 Trader's Inn Beach Club Ormond Beach FL 2014
skylynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #9
Empress Room
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbaggott View Post
I've been told that Barracuda is a long time resident at Castaway Cay. They even have a name for him "Barry"? I think? He's never been a problem though as far as the reports go.
There are barracuda and nurse sharks at Castaway Cay, and some of the sharks slip through and around the shark net at the family beach. We encountered one in the snorkel cove just last Fall. No biggie, it was actually pretty neat to see. Nurse sharks are not aggressive towards humans.

On another cruise, we had to make an unscheduled stop after CC because a 13-year old boy decided to tease a nearby barracuda (probably not Barry!) who took a sizeable chunk out of his hand and he needed some stitches and a tetanus shot/antibiotics.

The lesson to be learned is that the ocean is full of all sorts of creatures. Common sense and respect for this habitat is the law of the day. No matter what protections are put out there, as a previous poster noted, it is the ocean, it is not a Disneyfied artificial environment.

Having said that, there is no reason not to go in the water or to have a good time. I feel much safer in that ocean environment than in many others.
Empress Room is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:22 AM   #10
tink,too
DIS Veteran

I'm not a lover of swimming in the ocean, but did enjoy "paddling" a bit off the family beach at CC.

I was quite happy for DD to be in the water, safe in the knowledge that there were precautions taken to keep out the bigger, scarier creatures. I didn't find out until after we were back onboard the Magic that a barrecuda was also enjoying the family beach side whilst we had been there!
tink,too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:08 PM   #11
MarcyIn Florida
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylynx View Post
Seen plenty of barracuda at Serenity Bay...and a thing to remember about the nets at the family beach-nothing big can swim in, but small things can swim in and grow once they get inside and then can't get back out. There's an ENORMOUS grouper that likes to hang out under one of the lifeguard's stations on the snorkeling train. He (or she-hard to tell with groupers) definitely wouldn't have fit through the net!
I saw him last week -- he is HUGE and scared the mickey out of me because he skimmed me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Room View Post
There are barracuda and nurse sharks at Castaway Cay, and some of the sharks slip through and around the shark net at the family beach. We encountered one in the snorkel cove just last Fall. No biggie, it was actually pretty neat to see. Nurse sharks are not aggressive towards humans.

I did not see any nurse sharks on CC this time around, but have seen them before. And Empress Room is right -- they will not hurt you. I came across a family of them in Tortola and while I had a jolt because of their size, they had no interest in me. I'm much more afraid of the stingrays!
Our DCL Cruises: Disney Wonder, 2001; Disney Wonder, October 2002; Disney Magic (Western), the Hurricane Frances tour, Sept. 2004; Disney Magic (Eastern), February 2006; Disney Magic (Western), New Year's Eve 2007-2008; Disney Magic (Eastern, Tortola), July 2009; Disney Magic (Eastern, 8 Day Holiday Cruise), December 2011.
You can usually find us on the lazy river at Blizzard Beach.
MarcyIn Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:14 PM   #12
jjgarv
Gotta get away to where the boat leaves from...

I have also seen barracuda and small stingrays while snorkeling off the adult beach on CC. As a matter of fact, DH loves to tell the story of when I saw the barracuda. Anyway, the water off the adult beach stays pretty much waist-deep for quite a ways out into the water...you would have to go pretty far to get into deep water.
Honeymoon 4/00 4 Day Magic and Wilderness Lodge; 3/02 7 Day Eastern Magic; 11/02 Beach Club Villas; 11/04 7 day Western Magic; 10/05 4 Day Wonder and 3 Day at Saratoga Springs; 9/06 7 Day Twice the Magic--2x Castaway Cay; 11/07 7 Day Eastern Magic; 9/08 7 Western Double Dip--2x Castaway Cay; 5/09 Villas at AKL; 10/09 7 Day Eastern Magic to St Croix; 4/10 7 Day Caribbean Princess for 10th Anniversary; 10/10 7 Day Western Magic; 10/11 7 Days B2B on the Dream; 10/12 7 Day Eastern Fantasy; 3/12 DVC Villas at Aulani; 10/13 7 Day Western Fantasy; 10/14 7 Day Western Fantasy to Jamaica
jjgarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:14 PM   #13
Rhonda
Quote of the Day: Happiness is a Warm Puppy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylynx View Post
He (or she-hard to tell with groupers)

We've seen barracuda every time we snorkel on the family beach. One note about them -- they like shiny objects. You should not snorkel or swim with rings and other shiny jewelry on.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:53 PM   #14
CrzyBoutDisney
Goddess Divine

A big thanks for your responses. That makes me feel much better about things. I can't wait to get to CC! Hello: swimming in the ocean. Goodbye: wimpy-ness!

Old 07-29-2009, 02:33 PM   #15
joseph'smom
Mouseketeer

We were at the family beach at CC and saw a ginormous sting ray..well maybe not ginormous, but we were only waist deep when he went by...he was beautiful though (as I froze in probably unnecessary fear.)
joseph'smom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: