Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
NutzaboutDisney
Mouseketeer

Gifts for CM's Question/Ideas

Hi,

I know I've seen the thread before about ideas for cm gifts and the do's and don'ts that go along with it. I have a couple of ideas and wondered whether or not they are good choices or not???

1. Do cm's have access to microwaves to give microwave popcorn as part of the thank you gift?

2. Also, what about packs of gum? I know they don't sell it onboard. Sounds like a nice treat to me????

What do you all think??? Just trying to think of "different" ideas for the crew.

Thanks!

me dh
dd16 dd14
ds11 ds11

Man, I love that mouse! Not to mention, his house, his boat, his friends...
NutzaboutDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
I Love Thumper
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutzaboutDisney View Post
Hi,

I know I've seen the thread before about ideas for cm gifts and the do's and don'ts that go along with it. I have a couple of ideas and wondered whether or not they are good choices or not???

1. Do cm's have access to microwaves to give microwave popcorn as part of the thank you gift?

2. Also, what about packs of gum? I know they don't sell it onboard. Sounds like a nice treat to me????

What do you all think??? Just trying to think of "different" ideas for the crew.

Thanks!
CMs do have access to microwaves.
CMs are not allowed to chew gum in front of guests.
Some of the best gifts for CMs are Guest Fanatic Cards, or letters written with mention of them to DCL headquarters address, or mention of them on cruise comment cards.
I Love Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-27-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
Waltworshiper
DIS Veteran

We gave assorted bags of chocoalte(went just after halloween), and especially our servers and the cm's in the kids clubs seemed genuinely happy about receiving them as they don't get those kinds of treats on board.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
belle10
I want adventure in the great wide somewhere.

We are going this fall and we are giving our crew members phone cards... i figure its expensive to call land so it would help
belle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

DCL has recently set up a phone service for the CMs to use that is posted in their HR site. It offers them special phone cards that gives service at a reduced rate.

http://dcljobs.com/crewliving.asp

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
Mommak2p
Earning My Ears

I think phone cards are a great idea!! Also, the CM's get pretty cheap internet access when they are in port but when they are stuck on the ship it costs them a fortune!! Internet cards they can use on the ship would be fabulous! You would have to ask about it when you're on the ship.
(ps....on the ship they have to pay $20 bucks for just 3 hours of internet!!)
Mommak2p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:38 PM   #7
ayumac
Minnie Chan

Since I was driving to the port, I bought tons of treats for CMs. I brought girl scout cookies in the boxes, See's Candies lollypops , mini snickers and so on. I bought them in to kids clubs every chance I get, guest service, breakfast & lunch tables, and room stewards.

Only people who really seemed happy about them was stewards, mine & neighboring stewards who we greeted each other every morning and day.

So, I am still wondering if they really appreciate candies & sweets or not. Because, if they do not like it as much as it is told here, I want to bring something else.

ayumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:49 PM   #8
familyfun5
Mouseketeer

We gave the nursery a gift bag. Nothing fancy, some chocolate dipped pretzels, individually wrapped cookies (like biscotti) and candy from Target. They seemed to love it. They were able to divvy it up themselves or trade with others. They even made our son the selected favorite (some actual title I do not remember). They gave him a cute outfit, a hat and a book. Not sure if this was because we acknowledged them more than they expected or not. Our son was also real little at the time (4mo) and they adored him. They deserved it, and we never expected anything in return.

Another tip I had read somewhere were magazines, though I have never given them. The crew can then pass the magazines around to others and many people get to enjoy it all.

This year I am giving magazines, individually wrapped cookies, and maybe some individual hand games from the toy section, like yahtzee. I think the handheld game it is about $5, they can pass it around and it is fairly small. But then again it does take up some space and they work a lot of hours? Still thinking on the game idea. Any thoughts?

What are peoples thoughts on bath products (lotions, or even nail polish ect.)? Would that be kind of cheesy or too personal? We do not live where there is much of a geographically special gift. For instance, some people talk about Main syrup or cactus jelly. Maybe something like that could work for you? It can be consumed so as not to take up much space and is not something they cannot get themselves.

I do like the popcorn idea!!
familyfun5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:38 AM   #9
Shelebeen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyfun5 View Post
We gave the nursery a gift bag. Nothing fancy, some chocolate dipped pretzels, individually wrapped cookies (like biscotti) and candy from Target. They seemed to love it. They were able to divvy it up themselves or trade with others. They even made our son the selected favorite (some actual title I do not remember). They gave him a cute outfit, a hat and a book. Not sure if this was because we acknowledged them more than they expected or not. Our son was also real little at the time (4mo) and they adored him. They deserved it, and we never expected anything in return.

Another tip I had read somewhere were magazines, though I have never given them. The crew can then pass the magazines around to others and many people get to enjoy it all.

This year I am giving magazines, individually wrapped cookies, and maybe some individual hand games from the toy section, like yahtzee. I think the handheld game it is about $5, they can pass it around and it is fairly small. But then again it does take up some space and they work a lot of hours? Still thinking on the game idea. Any thoughts?

What are peoples thoughts on bath products (lotions, or even nail polish ect.)? Would that be kind of cheesy or too personal? We do not live where there is much of a geographically special gift. For instance, some people talk about Main syrup or cactus jelly. Maybe something like that could work for you? It can be consumed so as not to take up much space and is not something they cannot get themselves.

I do like the popcorn idea!!
I always leave my magazines from our travels... I know they are read by me once, but we just leave them on the desk in the room with a note for the steward to pass them on to someone who might enjoy reading them.

Aulani... our beautiful Hawaiian home

Cruised on the Wonder (x2), the Magic, the Dream and the Fantasy..
Shelebeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:09 AM   #10
ducky_love
Saving the world one tourist at a time.

Does anyone have that address for DCL "headquarters". I would love to send a letter but want to make sure I get it to the right place!
ducky_love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #11
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

We did boxes of Girl Scout cookies that are titled "Thanks A Lot". They are just a shortbread cookie with a chocolate backing and has the word "Thanks" in many different languages on the boxes.

Unfortunately, my stupid GS Council changed the bakers this year and the new bakery doesn't sell them. So if anyone in NJ uses ABC Bakers and not Little Brownies, please let me know. I need a case of them!!!
Old 07-28-2009, 12:27 PM   #12
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Phone cards are not used that much anymore by CM's. To get the best value out of the ones bought in the US they need to be used on a phone in the US. Since the CM's aren't always able to get off the ship in Port Canaveral they may not be able to use them.
Also, some payphones do not allow phone cards to be used when making calls from them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: