Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???

2009-2010 Marching Band Season is here!!

The new season is here-a new thread to keep track of how everyone is doing. Our kids are off to band camp in an hour. They had their drill camp last week to start the season. Our show this year is called "Escape from Gridlock". They haven't done much work on the show yet, they learn a lot of it this week. Marching band is such a great experience for the kids!!
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:04 PM   #2
micki7337
Luv that Mouse!
Here's to keeping dreams alive!!

We're getting excited here, too. Our DS16 joined Marching Band this year after spending a few years in the concert band. The whole family is excited to participate and we can't wait for the games and competition. Hopefully, this is the first of many years to come (2 more kids - one middle school, one elementary). I've heard the music but didn't know it would have a title. Guess I'll have to ask. I was a little shocked with all the mandatory/optional uniform costs but some of it will be part of his Christmas. He seems really excited and since he's been in concert band, he knows a lot of the kids. I'm looking forward to the social aspects for him and hoping this is something he could continue in college.
DW DH (DD-10) (DD-14) (DS-17) Chewie (silky terrier #1) Han Solo(silky terrier #2)
micki7337 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-26-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
Amy
MamaGrumpy

I'm starting my 7th year as a band parent - DS19 started when he was in 8th grade, and he's continuing in marching band at college, too. DS17 will be in his 4th year of marching band; he's a senior this year. Our high school competes, but DS19's college doesn't; they just perform at halftime and for parades and stuff.

Our high school show this year is called "Winter". I haven't heard any of the music - DS17 plays bari sax, so even if he would practice at home (which he doesn't), he wouldn't have much of the melody anyway. Band camp starts Aug. 10 for us.

DH has been head "props guy" for the past few years, so far the band director hasn't figured out what props he wants. He'd love to be able to make it "snow" on the field during their show, but anything you bring onto the field has to be taken off, and you can't do that with snow.

The number of local competitions we'll have this year has been cut way down. The high school soccer teams used to play during the week, but now they want more soccer games on Saturdays. So the football stadiums just aren't as available as they used to be.

Good to all your bands as you get ready for a new season! To all the new band parents out there, my best advice is to get involved in some way - work the snack stand, hem uniforms, be in the pit crew and help haul the equipment on and off the field. It's much more fun to be involved than to just sit there and watch. Be sure to catch some practices, too - I love to see how the show evolves from the earliest practices to the competition finals at the end of the season. It's amazing how the kids can memorize all that music plus how and where to move, and then it changes every week and they somehow get it all put together into a great show. Way to go kids!

June 1999 - Port Orleans (now POFQ) June 2001 - POFQ/HRH June 2003 - WL/HRH July 2004 - DL/Calif Adv June 2005 - WL/HRH Dec. 2005 - WL (DS band trip!) June 2007 - WL/HRH Nov./Dec. 2007 - Pop (band trip with both DS's!) Oct 2011 - Pop
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
luv2sew
Mouseketeer

good luck to all the bands kids/parents out there. I am a former band parent and sewer of all things BAND related. From uniforms to banners to flags to xylephone (can't even spell it) covers, podium covers, and did I mention flags and all the little quirky things the band front person dreams up...It's alot of fun.

I am also the parent of a former drum major, wow that was so neat seeing my kid out front.

She went on to, for those of you in PA, to be a band member in "The Legend" IUP marching band....."The B east of the EAst" I think is their tag line. Well she was in the band for 2 years and then left it due to too much work load in her major...but that was fun too going to games and watching the IUP band...even though the drive was 5 hours one way.
luv2sew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:59 PM   #5
FSUDisneyGirl
Hey, my eye feels weird....AAAAAAAAAAUUG HGHGHGHH!!!

My boyfriend is starting his 3rd year as a band director down here in Florida...he is finally out of his old school and now an assistant at a great program and I am so excited for him! They had leadership and freshmen and basic marching stuff last week, with real band camp coming up tomorrow! I am actually excited, because his new school has money for band camp staff, and I will not be dragged out to help all the time!!! I'll totally stop by and cheer them on at games, though!

WDW College Program ~ Spring '07!
FSUDisneyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:22 PM   #6
mrs_hower726
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sew View Post

She went on to, for those of you in PA, to be a band member in "The Legend" IUP marching band....."The B east of the EAst" I think is their tag line. Well she was in the band for 2 years and then left it due to too much work load in her major...but that was fun too going to games and watching the IUP band...even though the drive was 5 hours one way.
The Pride of Pennsylvania, the Beast of the East, the IUP Marching Band.

I marched 1998-2002 on clarinet. Some of the best years of my life!

Phillies 5k - 3/31/12: 36:00
Boots on the Run 5K - 4/25/12
Girls on the Run 5K -5/19/12
mrs_hower726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:41 PM   #7
luv2sew
Mouseketeer

OH very nice to meet you, so to speak. Yes that band is quite an experience for both the participants and the crowd. Nothing like seeing the 200+ in band whites stretched out across the full length of the field. She says that was some of the hardest marching she had to do with all the difficult formations and music they play.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:16 PM   #8
golfgal
DIS Cast Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy View Post
I'm starting my 7th year as a band parent - DS19 started when he was in 8th grade, and he's continuing in marching band at college, too. DS17 will be in his 4th year of marching band; he's a senior this year. Our high school competes, but DS19's college doesn't; they just perform at halftime and for parades and stuff.

Our high school show this year is called "Winter". I haven't heard any of the music - DS17 plays bari sax, so even if he would practice at home (which he doesn't), he wouldn't have much of the melody anyway. Band camp starts Aug. 10 for us.

DH has been head "props guy" for the past few years, so far the band director hasn't figured out what props he wants. He'd love to be able to make it "snow" on the field during their show, but anything you bring onto the field has to be taken off, and you can't do that with snow.

The number of local competitions we'll have this year has been cut way down. The high school soccer teams used to play during the week, but now they want more soccer games on Saturdays. So the football stadiums just aren't as available as they used to be.

Good to all your bands as you get ready for a new season! To all the new band parents out there, my best advice is to get involved in some way - work the snack stand, hem uniforms, be in the pit crew and help haul the equipment on and off the field. It's much more fun to be involved than to just sit there and watch. Be sure to catch some practices, too - I love to see how the show evolves from the earliest practices to the competition finals at the end of the season. It's amazing how the kids can memorize all that music plus how and where to move, and then it changes every week and they somehow get it all put together into a great show. Way to go kids!
I would bet that there is a kid in the band or at school that could rig something on the computer to make it look like it was snowing. Otherwise, how about containing the snow in some way--maybe make a large box to hold soloists and have it snow on them-have a cover over the box and keep the snow in that, have it fall to the bottom of the box, reuse next time??
Old 07-27-2009, 08:07 PM   #9
LindaDe
Earning My Ears

The snow machines they use these days blow out soap bubbles...maybe you can just rent some of them....I know about leaving stuff on the field but the bubbles would evaporate. Sounds like a great show, good luck with it.
LindaDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:24 PM   #10
golfgal
DIS Cast Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaDe View Post
The snow machines they use these days blow out soap bubbles...maybe you can just rent some of them....I know about leaving stuff on the field but the bubbles would evaporate. Sounds like a great show, good luck with it.
I bet they wouldn't allow that because the bubbles would make the field slippery for the rest of the bands.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:36 PM   #11
luv2sew
Mouseketeer

yep, probabaly right, I didn't think of that.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:45 PM   #12
tinkerbell615
DIS Veteran

Hello everyone. DD is a senior guard girl this year. It is certainly going to be bittersweet. I am excited about her senior year, but already very sad that it is her last marching season. She is really excited about this year's show. The guard has been practicing on and off all summer, but actual pre-camp starts at the beginning of August and band camp is the second week.

Can't wait to hear about everyone's season.

tinkerbell615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #13
golfgal
DIS Cast Member

They have changed some of the competitions we will attend this year. I hope the changes are for the better as some of the competitions were getting really weak. So many programs have cut way back or just aren't at the level they once were it is hard to find any real competition.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:07 AM   #14
Shmily1
DIS Veteran

I miss the band days... DS19 is now in college and doesn't do band there. I loved to watch him, even if it meant sitting in the rain or cold (we live in south GA so we don't have much cold). I cried more at his last band concert than I did at his graduation. I didn't cry then at all but cried so much at the band concert that all the pictures I took are too blurry to see him clearly!!!

I hope you all enjoy watching your band children as much as I enjoyed watching mine. Have a great year and don't miss a minute... it goes by too fast as it is!
Old 07-28-2009, 10:02 PM   #15
Amy
MamaGrumpy

Thanks for the "snow" suggestions, guys! Actually, DH and the band director's first thought was a giant snow globe (sort of like the globes they used to have in the MK parade). But DH looked into it, and the snowglobe cost around $1500, and that's just not in the budget. I'm sure they'll come up with something; the band director will get together with the other "creative" types and they'll figure something out. I just hope he doesn't wait until the week before the first performance and expect DH and his helpers to get everything done in a couple of days! (He's done that before.)

June 1999 - Port Orleans (now POFQ) June 2001 - POFQ/HRH June 2003 - WL/HRH July 2004 - DL/Calif Adv June 2005 - WL/HRH Dec. 2005 - WL (DS band trip!) June 2007 - WL/HRH Nov./Dec. 2007 - Pop (band trip with both DS's!) Oct 2011 - Pop
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: