Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2009, 10:54 AM   #1
r4blessings
DIS Veteran

Anyone ever buy a refurbished ds lite from gamestop?

Hi everyone! My youngest son is having a birthday in August and he LOVES to play his older brothers nintendo ds lite games (especially Mario Brothers and Cars). They have been really terrific about sharing their consoles with him, but we've decided to get one for his birthday so that our drive to Florida will be a lot happier!

Now, my older boys have nintendo ds lites, but I'm reluctant to buy a new one for my younger son (who will not be able to tell the difference b/w new and used at all). Especially with the new dsi that is out. But I don't want to buy my younger ds a dsi. So, I looked at the gamestop website and they sell refurbished ds lites that seem really reasonable. I could get younger ds one and a new skin and a game or two for the price of a new ds. Has anyone ever bought one of their used consoles? They have a one year warranty, so I don't really think it would be a risk, but I'd like to hear anyones experiences or ideas or reviews.

Also, if you know of a younger boys game that you love, I'd love to hear about that as well. My dd has smart girls party room and she loves that so maybe the boys one?

Headed to CBR in August 2010
r4blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:55 AM   #2
nuke
Life is Good

We did last year. The right button sticks sometimes but otherwise it's fine.

The thing is that the used systems are only $20 less than brand new.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-26-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
ajk912
Dum..dum...dum...we are in the Twilight Zone
Yup, I generally don't sweat the gas
Frenzied free for all!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke View Post

The thing is that the used systems are only $20 less than brand new.
This is exactly why when we looked, we decided just to buy a new one. The systems seem to wear out from natural wear and tear (especially those that get a lot of wear ) in about 3-4 years, so to save $20 it's not worth getting one that already has a bunch of miles under it's belt.

BTW, I sent one in to Nintendo to be refurbished, because it was wearing down so much it was really unusable. They ended up replacing it! It's only $85 (including shipping both ways) which I thought was great. I am going to have to send our other Nintendo DS in within a year or so, as well. It still plays, but everyone wants to play with the new one because it's in better condition and the buttons don't stick, the screen never freezes up, etc.
ajk912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
FlFairygirl32405
Mouseketeer

We bought a used PSP system this past April. We had to return it the next day because the button kept falling off. When we took it back, the salesperson said that the unit should have never been accepted as a trade. We exchanged it for a second used one which lasted about 3 months before it started giving us problems. When we took that one back, I just exchanged it and paid the $20 difference for a new system.
FlFairygirl32405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:48 PM   #5
r4blessings
DIS Veteran

Originally when I thought of getting ds a used system I looked online and saw that they were selling for around $99, which as you said is silly when the new ones are only $129. But I was surfing around the gamestop site and see that they have refurbished ds lites for $79....which then is a bigger difference and caused me to re-think. But I'm hearing from you gals that no one has gotten a system that did not have problems....so I'm guessing that a new console is the way to go!

And by the way, younger ds is not two anymore! Just haven't updated my siggie!

Headed to CBR in August 2010
r4blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
mickeyluvr004
Mouseketeer

what about tradeing in a nintendo gameboy does anyone know what they give for those toward a ds???? thanks
mickeyluvr004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:33 PM   #7
BABY_EINSTEIN'S_MOM
DIS Veteran

I went straight through Nintendo as well and got my ds's replaced for $80+ with a refurb. After almost one year, it is still just like new, no problems. The only thing different about the refurbs are that they don't include a stylus!
June 2009~2 week WDW-Cocoa beach extravaganza!/Windsor Hills
October 2010~Our 1st WDW MNSSHP/Windsor Hills
June 2012~ 2 week WDW(YES program)-Universal-Seaworld-Cocoa beach/Windsor Hills
June/July 2014~last minute 20th anniversary/4th July trip!!!
October 2014~MNSSHP and onsite at CBR!
BABY_EINSTEIN'S_MOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:35 PM   #8
smidgen21
Wanna be Tink

i bought ds3 a gameboys advance sp yesterday on half.com. there are dsl available too. i just wanted to start him with something basic. also, the games on there are cheap, i paid 4-9 dollars each for the games. i bought him cars, nemo, dora and little einsteins. he's been playing a vsmile pocket so he at least the concept. maybe he'll leave the ds alone now (DH bought me one for my bday, and yes he really bought it for himself). But I'll show him I just ordered 4 games for me yesterday (clue/sorry/trouble combo, brain age, sonic and mario).
Old 07-26-2009, 02:28 PM   #9
heathere3
Mouseketeer

Like most things, you hear about problems more than about successes. So here's my success. I've bought 3 used DS Lites for my neices and nephew from Gamestop. I was picky when I picked them up, but the guys in the store know me. I opened them up and made sure everything worked etc. before taking them home. (They had to be mailed to Canada for Christmas, so I needed to be SURE they'd work before sending them). It's now a year and a half later, the things have been abused to hell and back, and they're all three still working well. We did have to replace my nephew's screen, but that was because he got mad and smashed it. So he had to wait 3 months and do every chore mom asked before it got fixed!
My advice is therefore to go for it, but check the unit out in the store before you take it home.

Heather
heathere3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: