Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2009, 02:11 PM   #31
missdani416
Earning My Ears

"About 11:30 I decide to stand in the short line that has formed. My family follows. At this point we realize all our pictures up to the Minnie one have been deleted.
I had asked my son to see if he could check how many that card would hold and he accidentally deleted them all. It’s a bummer for sure, but we’re just starting our cruise so we try to shake it off. Christian is especially upset as he has taken many posed shots of his Lego character as he is writing a picture story; and of course, we lost all the Downtown Disney shots (not sure when we’ll ever get back there). "

Your pictures may not be lost. If you have not formatted the card you can download an image recovery program for free from the internet and it should be able to "find" your lost pictures.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:21 PM   #32
Narnia_girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by missdani416 View Post
Your pictures may not be lost. If you have not formatted the card you can download an image recovery program for free from the internet and it should be able to "find" your lost pictures.
I had no idea I could do this. I'm checking into it right now. Thanks for the tip!

Narnia_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-30-2009, 05:08 PM   #33
lucas
°o°

Great report! Can't wait to read more.

ETA: Glad to hear that you liked the Radisson. We're staying there for 1 night before our Thanksgiving cruise.

Last edited by lucas; 07-30-2009 at 06:17 PM.
lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:35 PM   #34
Narnia_girl
DIS Veteran

Continuing with our first day onboard....
Since it’s been about five hours since lunch and we won’t eat dinner for another three, we all enjoy snacks and ice cream on Deck 9. Andrew had the Cajun chicken and rated it excellent.

Then we move inside to see the Golden Mickeys. We hurried to get there on time, but did not realize that part of the show was the "red carpet" interviews. We could have easily come 15 minutes later than we did—the theater was about half full. I’m not sure if this pre-show interview always lasts that long, but it consisted of a quick thinking reporter talking to about 8 children, none of who seemed interested in answering questions.

Then the captain and cruise director introductions were done and instructions were given about Nassau and other ship stuff.
Finally, the show started and it was wonderful! Enjoyed every bit of it. And, I found myself crying again. I think it's because nearly every song defined a portion of my children's lives. The Lion King was Andrew's first real movie at age 3; Christian's was Toy Story; When I was pregnant with Caroline, Christian wanted to name her Mulan. It was their childhood replaying in one beautiful show.

I was mindful of the “no flash photography” warnings and took a few pics with the flash off, but I guess my arms weren’t steady enough and they didn’t turn out well.

After the Golden Mickeys, we had time to return to our cabin and dress for dinner. The cruise director had let us know that everyone had a dinner reservation and there was no need to line up outside the restaurant. So we heeded those directions and took our time. A lot of people must not have known this, however, as they had formed a long line outside of Tritons.

As I mentioned, we brought along a cooler with frozen water and one beer. I had never mentioned to our cabin steward to add ice to the cooler and honestly I didn't think it needed it. My husband, however, had a terrible fear that his $1.75 beer was going to get hot and thus be wasted. So when we went to dinner, he carried that honker with us. So while everyone else was standing in line for the restaurant, we were lounging around waiting for him to finish.

I'm pretty sure there's a Jeff Foxworthy joke in here somewhere:

After the guzzling ceased we headed into Tritons. No waiting time, great seating service and attention by the head waiter. Since we were a party of five I assumed we’d be placed by ourselves or with a party of 3. Instead, we were placed at a large table with another party of 5, all women (ranging from a toddler to grandmother).

They were already seated when we arrived. I tried several times throughout the dining rotation to engage them in small talk and be friendly. And while they would politely answer my questions (how was your day? Is this your first cruise, etc…) they didn’t seem interested in talking to us. By the second night it was “hello” and pretty much nothing more. I’m sure they also thought us very weird for taking food pictures every night.

Our server for the cruise was Jojo from India. He was wonderful and we would be happy to have him again. The assistant was Izabella from Macedonia and she, too, was just as sweet and helpful as could be. We were very well cared for.

About this time I began to really feel the movement of the ship. My head had a dull ache which I attributed to not drinking enough water, but as the motion kept up I added a queasy stomach to the mix. I remembered that drinking water and eating well were effective in fighting off altitude sickness, so that must work on motion sickness, too, right?

Hoping it was true, I dug in.

These are some of the foods we enjoyed.
Tomato-basil soup—excellent!

Chef Luis French onion soup—excellent!

Rick enjoyed the chilled jumbo shrimp appetizer.

Crispy roast duck with Napa cabbage, potato cake and pomegranate jus. Andrew had this and declared it excellent. I tried the duck and just didn’t care for it, but I think part of that was mental (I’m eating Donald Duck).

Christian had the Triton’s seared sea bass which he rated a 5 out of 10. Said it was okay but not a lot of flavor. His meal included a potato crisp garnish which he said was a cross between crepe paper and a communion wafer.

Rick had the grilled beef tenderloin which he said was very good and the mashed potatoes which were “decent”.

I ordered the Porcini mushroom-stuffed pasta in vegetable broth. Jojo tried to steer me towards another entrée and I should have listened. The pasta was fairly bland and not to my liking.

We had informed Jojo that we’d be participating in the play and dine option so Caroline was served her Mac and cheese first. Right about 9 p.m. the CMs showed up and she went away with them.

For dessert, Andrew tried the no-sugar added chocolate cheesecake and loved it.

Rick had the ….Grand Marnier with vanilla sauce and also raved about it. I had the trio, of which I enjoyed duo.

We took lots of photos of the food, but not very many of our family. The ship’s photographer did come by and we posed but didn’t end up buying those.
After dinner, we changed back into casual clothes and I took one Bonine, remembering that they could cause drowsiness, I didn’t want to fall asleep just yet.

About this time we received a page that Caroline wanted to be picked up. She was disappointed in the Oceaneer’s Lab. In our pre-cruise days she had watched the DCL promo DVD several times and couldn’t wait to get on the slides she saw. What she found out was that as an 8-yr. old she was in the Lab and it was mostly video games, computers and some other board games (at that time). I guess she’s still enough of a little kid that she wanted to active play and really I didn’t want to park her there just to play video games either. We did walk across the hall and talk to the nice CMs in the Oceaneer’s Club and they said that anytime it listed “Slide Fun” in our Navigator that she was free to come in and enjoy the slides. We noted those times, but it ended up not working out for us to go back. I don’t think she set foot in the club/lab the rest of the cruise.

We moseyed down to deck four to watch some shuffleboard. It is just so relaxing and beautiful there that I made a mental note to try and steal some time to come back here with a book and relax. There was an older couple relaxing in the lounge chairs nearby and I could tell the woman wasn’t sleeping but thoroughly relaxed in the atmosphere.

After a time we headed back up to Deck 9 and watched a portion of a Corbin Bleu movie while enjoying a slice of Pinnochio’s pizza. Okay, we enjoyed two slices.

At this point we are full and tired and not all that interested in the jump rope movie so we called it a night. I thought the Bonine helped with my queasy stomach so I took another one hoping it would last into the next day. By this time I was wiped out and our bed was very comfortable. The kids, however, still had some energy so they stayed up and ordered room service. (separate rooms...very good idea)

Something I learned:
  • It's probably okay to get to the Golden Mickeys right at the stated start time or even a little late....unless you like the pre-show interviews.
  • You can try to engage strangers in small talk but for whatever reason, they just may not be that into you!
  • Dine and play is a great service, but the kids clubs might not be for everyone.

Tomorrow: Nassau Segway

Old 07-31-2009, 10:50 PM   #35
lucas
°o°

Enjoying the continuation of your cruise report.

I had to laugh about your hubby with his 1 beer. And also it cracked me up about strangers maybe not being that into you.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:32 AM   #36
OurOhana
Mouseketeer

Ooh - Can't wait to hear what you thought of the segwey tour. I'm curious if you thought it was easy to use - I've never used one (and am not the most coordinated) but it looks like fun.

That's a shame about your tablemates. I've not heard many people say they had similar experiences. We really worried about sitting with strangers, but ended up loving them - and we're even going on our next cruise together. I wouldn't have guessed that would have happened. But it sounds like you enjoyed your dinners regardless.

HAL Maasdam Feb. 16, 2003 * HAL Zuiderdam Sept. 7, 2003
DCL Magic Jan. 31, 2009 * DCL Wonder Sept. 17, 2009 * DCL Wonder Sept. 20, 2009 * DCL Fantasy Apr. 27, 2013

OurOhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:51 AM   #37
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

Enjoying your report.

I can totally relate with having a 8 year old DD who did not jazz to the Oceaneer's Lab.

Also, about the sea sickness. I have never had drowsiness while using Bonine and it really does work best if you start taking it before you feel sick. We took one every day during our cruise and never felt anything. We also didn't have the stabilizers working and we rocked at night.
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:07 PM   #38
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

Really enjoying your report.
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:04 AM   #39
missdani416
Earning My Ears

Great job on your trip report! I can't wait to read more.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:52 PM   #40
hopeforus
Mouseketeer

how fun!

I am having such a fun time reading your review. I am thinking of something similar for my family next summer. Also, I am from Illinios - about 2.5 hours from St. Louis - we might be neighbors.

Can't wait to hear more.
hopeforus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:52 PM   #41
IrenicMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia_girl View Post
Our server for the cruise was Jojo from India. He was wonderful and we would be happy to have him again. The assistant was Izabella from Macedonia and she, too, was just as sweet and helpful as could be. We were very well cared for.
I had Jojo and Izabella, too!!! They were darling. I truly enjoyed their service - glad to hear that you did, as well!!

1979 - Ft. Wilderness * 1984, 1992 & 1998 - Offsite * 1996 - Grand Floridian * 1997 & 2004 - Caribbean Beach * 2006 - Contemporary & Wilderness Lodge *
* 2007 - Beach Club & Wilderness Lodge * 2008 - Swan * 2009 - Dolphin * 2010 - PO Riverside * 2011 - Polynesian & Vero Beach * 2012 - Boardwalk *

DCL Sailed
Wonder 6/09, 10/10, 4/13 * Dream 4/12 * Fantasy 6/12
DCL Upcoming
Magic April 7, 2014 4-night Bahamas
Wonder June 9,2014 7-night Alaskan
IrenicMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:51 PM   #42
pmama
DIS Veteran

Loving your Wonder TR!

Interesting that your 8 yo was bored in the terminal. I have an 8 yo and 5 yo girls. I can't decide whether to do early entry at MK that morning and arrive at the port at around noon or to arrive at the terminal early. Sounds like if my kiddos are like yours they'd rather have a couple hours at MK in the morning.

Looking forward to reading more.
pmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:27 PM   #43
barney4liz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurOhana View Post
Ooh - Can't wait to hear what you thought of the segwey tour. I'm curious if you thought it was easy to use - I've never used one (and am not the most coordinated) but it looks like fun.
I can't wait to hear about the Segway tour, too, because we are booked on the same excursion 2 weeks from today!!

OurOhana -- our family did a Segway tour a year or so ago in a state park in the Amelia Island area. We had never done it before, but it was easy to learn and soooooo much fun! DD is thrilled that we are going to do the Nassau Segway tour, so I really can't wait to hear the report.

Paging Narnia Girl!
Old 08-03-2009, 01:32 PM   #44
Narnia_girl
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. I'm waiting til tomorrow to post about segway tour because the guys took some pictures using a disposable camera and I just took it today to be developed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas View Post
Enjoying the continuation of your cruise report.

I had to laugh about your hubby with his 1 beer. And also it cracked me up about strangers maybe not being that into you.
thank you!
Maybe we should have given the strangers our beer...that might have perked things up a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurOhana View Post

That's a shame about your tablemates. I've not heard many people say they had similar experiences. We really worried about sitting with strangers, but ended up loving them - and we're even going on our next cruise together. I wouldn't have guessed that would have happened. But it sounds like you enjoyed your dinners regardless.
We did enjoy dinner and I'm sure those folks were nice people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfaninaz View Post
Enjoying your report.

I can totally relate with having a 8 year old DD who did not jazz to the Oceaneer's Lab.

Also, about the sea sickness. I have never had drowsiness while using Bonine and it really does work best if you start taking it before you feel sick. We took one every day during our cruise and never felt anything. We also didn't have the stabilizers working and we rocked at night.
I assumed it was the Bonine as it affected me the next day, too, but I am senstive to meds making me sleepy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ware Bears View Post
Really enjoying your report.
thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by missdani416 View Post
Great job on your trip report! I can't wait to read more.
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeforus View Post
I am having such a fun time reading your review. I am thinking of something similar for my family next summer. Also, I am from Illinios - about 2.5 hours from St. Louis - we might be neighbors.

Can't wait to hear more.
thanks...are you north, south or east of St. Louise? If you are north, then we probably are 'neighbors'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrenicMom View Post
I had Jojo and Izabella, too!!! They were darling. I truly enjoyed their service - glad to hear that you did, as well!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmama View Post
Loving your Wonder TR!

Interesting that your 8 yo was bored in the terminal. I have an 8 yo and 5 yo girls. I can't decide whether to do early entry at MK that morning and arrive at the port at around noon or to arrive at the terminal early. Sounds like if my kiddos are like yours they'd rather have a couple hours at MK in the morning.

thanks. Not sure what to tell you about kids. I've never been to MK but it seems like you'd be packing in a very full day if you did that early and then the excitement of the cruise all day. However, there is that hour drive where they could nap. I think my daughter just wasn't prepared for the waiting, that's my fault!
Whatever you decide, I hope it's a great trip/cruise for you.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #45
OurOhana
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmama View Post
Loving your Wonder TR!

Our daughter was 3 on our last cruise, and we got there as soon as the port opened (actually had to wait a few minutes for it to open.) Anyway, there are TVs in there, though not great reception as I remember. But she kept pretty busy. Some mom far more prepared than me brought a game for her kids to play, and they invited my daughter to play with them. We did bring snacks with us. The time really flew by for us.

HAL Maasdam Feb. 16, 2003 * HAL Zuiderdam Sept. 7, 2003
DCL Magic Jan. 31, 2009 * DCL Wonder Sept. 17, 2009 * DCL Wonder Sept. 20, 2009 * DCL Fantasy Apr. 27, 2013

OurOhana is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: