Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  


Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 09:32 AM   #1
lugnut33
DIS Veteran
 
lugnut33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,255

Are There Any Good Airlines Left?

Or are they all crap and just treat us like cattle?

I suppose it's our fault that airlines treat their customers like crap and don't give a hoot about anything. We are the the ones afterall who demanded rock bottom pricing ahead of everything else.

Lately I've flown a few different airlines and it's getting to the point I'd rather not fly anymore because the whole experience of flying is terrible. Indifferent employees, poor service, stupid fees for everything, security lines, late flights, and damaged luggage.

I was so mad at all the carriers that fly out of O'Hare, that I booked Southwest out of Midway (an extra hour drive) for our August family trip. I hope they don't disappoint me also.

Now today, I'm supposed to go pickup my inlaws at around noon so I check their Continental flight and it says "Estimated to Arrive 6 Hours 46 Minutes Late". Nice!! Now there'll be a big fiasco as they get rebooked on their flight segment from Houston to Chicago.
__________________
lugnut33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
annagirl
Mouseketeer
 
annagirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 220

Southwest. Great service, friendly staff, and no baggage fees.

If southwest goes where you are, look into it.
annagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.
 
seashoreCM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 21,424

deleted
__________________
Last Disney trip: December 2010.
Lame: A red circle and slash around a word. Only symbols and icons go in red circles. Words belong in phrases such as being preceded by "No".
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #4
beccasmom
DIS Veteran
 
beccasmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Philadelphia suburbs
Posts: 3,377

Southwest is generally excellent. Even they can't do much during bad weather, but we have found their customer service to be much better than most of the others.

JetBlue is great too, but unfortunately does not fly from my home airport. I've been very impressed with them.

The rest --- well, if you can't say something nice.....they are all having financial problems at this time (I think I read even SW is offering severance packages to some associates), so it probably will not get better anytime soon. I am still pretty steamed about having to pay for my luggage (we're using USAirways for this trip). Thank heavens our flight is only 2 hours.
__________________
DVC Members since 1992-OKW
beccasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
connorsmom911
DIS Veteran
 
connorsmom911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: canada
Posts: 1,099

Another vote here for SWA. I even drive an extra hour and a half, across the border into the US, not only for the savings (Toronto is now the most expensive airport in the WORLD to fly out of with taxes and fees!!) but for the service. I've had awesome luck with flights being on time or early, great service, good laughs and no baggage problems. Love them!!
__________________
Tracey "Por favor, mantenganse alejado de las puertas"
Me Connor (11) Caeden (6)...or better yet... Me and the boys

Life in Six Words..."Making My Own Happily Ever After"
connorsmom911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:05 PM   #6
uva185
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,361

I have had excellent service with Delta. I am now a Platinum Medallion but even before I had any status I still received excellent service.

Once I was late arriving to the airport (about 20 mins before departure at DCA). I needed to check a bag and needed to make my scheduled flight so I could meet a friend in ATL. I told my situation to the agent, she manually wrote a bag tag and sent me on my way. Technically the cut off was 30 mins so she bent the rule and it made my day.

I also really appreciate that when they automatically re-book me due to an IRROP they either put me in the full F fare class (if available) or full Y if F is full. This nets me 50% bonus miles on the flight.

Also, Delta is bringing back the "red coats" which are customer service reps to wonder around the terminal and assist customers on the spot. They are empowered to do things with that regular agents cannot do.
__________________
April, 2003 - Beach Club (First Time Ever at Disney!)
July, 2003 - Grand Floridian
March, 2004 - Contemporary
March, 2005 - Grand Floridian
April, 2006 - Grand Floridian
January, 2007 - Grand Floridian

"The stars will wheel forth from their daytime hiding places, and one of those lights is slightly brighter than the rest. It will be my wingtip, passing over."

My Travel Photos | Blog: Around the World | Blog: Voyage to Antarctica
uva185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #7
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples
 
DebbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: PA
Posts: 48,189

I fly regularly for business and have flown most of the major airlines. I've had a few problems but overall have been satisfied. SW is definitely tops for vacation travel.

Why is the Continental flight that late? Is it weather? We've had heavy storms in the east.
__________________
DebbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:24 PM   #8
thepwa
Oh, I've got my ears, I just don't wear them at the poker table!
 
thepwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ashburn Va
Posts: 588

For every customer service employee who doesn't give good customer service, I suspect there are two customers who are expecting something that is not reasonable, or are trying to bend rules or are trying to beat a system.

Is a plane broken? Fix it. I'd rather be late then at 35,000 feet and lose a hydraulic pump.

Is it bad weather? No airline can control that. I'd rather be grounded than have a pilot try to fight through a thunderstorm.

Do they charge for bags? Yes. So what? It's just part of the overall price of the ticket, and if I don't have a bag, I am getting a discount.

Give me my ticket at a reasonable price, give me my seat, get me to my destination. I don't care if I get 1/2 a can of Coke and some stale pretzels or not.

Hats off to all of you in the customer service field, especially those who work for airlines and have to deal with unreasonable, unruly and rude customers every day.
__________________
D and daughter Kaitlyn, visitors since '98

Off Site - 98,All Star Sports - 99, Carribean - 2000,Carribean - 2001,All Star Movies - 2002,Carribean - 2003, Port Orleans Riverside - 2004,French Q/Animal Kingdom Lodge - 2005,Boardwalk Inn - 2006,Beach Club - 2007,Beach Club - Aug 2008, Beach Club - July/Aug 2009, Marriott Grande Vista, Aug 2011.
thepwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:26 PM   #9
lugnut33
DIS Veteran
 
lugnut33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,255

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
I fly regularly for business and have flown most of the major airlines. I've had a few problems but overall have been satisfied. SW is definitely tops for vacation travel.

Why is the Continental flight that late? Is it weather? We've had heavy storms in the east.
It's an international flight from Lima, Peru. Positive it's not weather related since the weather in Lima is always good.
__________________
lugnut33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:43 PM   #10
DisneyObsessive
DIS Veteran
 
DisneyObsessive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Queens, New York
Posts: 1,061

I've always had great service with Jetblue. Some of the friendliest crew i've experienced.
__________________
Oct PTR: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post33627211

Days Inn- Thanksgiving, 1988
Port Orleans, French Quarters- Christmas, 1998
Hotel Royal Plaza- July to August, 2003
Vistana Villa Resort- July, 2004
Pop Century (one night), Friends home in Tampa- Star Wars Weekends, May to June 2007
Coronado Springs-January 2009
Pop Century- October 2009
DisneyObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:47 PM   #11
mousesweetie
I sometimes make up words and expect people to know what I'm talking about...
 
mousesweetie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: 990-some Miles from the World
Posts: 155

I love Delta. USAIRWAYS on the other hand, is a different story.
__________________
ME, DBF & DGN(7)

mousesweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:53 PM   #12
lugnut33
DIS Veteran
 
lugnut33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,255

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepwa View Post
For every customer service employee who doesn't give good customer service, I suspect there are two customers who are expecting something that is not reasonable, or are trying to bend rules or are trying to beat a system.

Is a plane broken? Fix it. I'd rather be late then at 35,000 feet and lose a hydraulic pump.

Is it bad weather? No airline can control that. I'd rather be grounded than have a pilot try to fight through a thunderstorm.

Do they charge for bags? Yes. So what? It's just part of the overall price of the ticket, and if I don't have a bag, I am getting a discount.

Give me my ticket at a reasonable price, give me my seat, get me to my destination. I don't care if I get 1/2 a can of Coke and some stale pretzels or not.

Hats off to all of you in the customer service field, especially those who work for airlines and have to deal with unreasonable, unruly and rude customers every day.

Could it be the airlines have implemented unreasonable policies in the name of profits (or lack thereof)? Are they taking ou their money frustrations on the customer?

What about in the instance when my wife is flying AA with a group of kids and they arrive late in Miami due to weather to catch their connecting flight (last flight for the night of course) and the gate attendant says, "You didn't make any alternate reservations in San Jose so we can't get you on any fights tomorrow or even the next day because they are all full". So, after a night of sleeping on the airport floor (hey, it's OK, it's weather related) they wander up to the gate and ask if they can get on the flight. Attendant says yes, it's only "half full". So, why was the guy being a jerk the night before?

When there are 500 people waiting in line to check in, why are there only 2 people working the check-in counter?

Security gets mad because of people bringing small houses with them as carry-ons. Yet, the airline wants to force you to only bring a carry-on due to their stupid baggage fees.

As for fixing the planes, well maybe they shouldn't have made such deep cuts in maintenance?

You're not getting a discount if you only travel with carry-ons. I'm flying cheaper on SW in August than any other airline I checked, and I get to check two bags if I want. There are 4 of us and we'll probably check 3. We'll only have 1 carry-on. If we were flying AA I'd have to bring 4 carryons and lots of other hand held bags. Then I'd have to fight with the people around me to get space to put the carry-ons. Great, sounds like a good practice to me.

Hats off to those in the customer service field that do a good job. Maybe if some of you CSR's weren't indifferent and rude, people wouldn't get angry with you!!

Two sides to every story.
__________________
lugnut33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:19 PM   #13
uva185
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,361

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut33 View Post
It's an international flight from Lima, Peru. Positive it's not weather related since the weather in Lima is always good.
Its posts like this that make me cringe!

#1 If Lima "always has good weather" how do you think they would handle any "bad weather" that may come up?? Think how well Southern states handle frozen percipitation

#2 Just because the weather is nice at the origin and destination that doesn't mean there can't be weather delays. Weather affects flights in many ways and can impact how many planes can fly on a particular air traffic control route and how close they can follow eachother. Even something like strong winds enroute can change the flight path and delay a flight. The inbound flight may have been delayed due to weather which in turn would delay the next return fligt.
__________________
April, 2003 - Beach Club (First Time Ever at Disney!)
July, 2003 - Grand Floridian
March, 2004 - Contemporary
March, 2005 - Grand Floridian
April, 2006 - Grand Floridian
January, 2007 - Grand Floridian

"The stars will wheel forth from their daytime hiding places, and one of those lights is slightly brighter than the rest. It will be my wingtip, passing over."

My Travel Photos | Blog: Around the World | Blog: Voyage to Antarctica
uva185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #14
ExPirateShopGirl
My posts are sanitized for your protection!
Oh, sorry. The dog just peed on it.
 
ExPirateShopGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SAN BOS MCW
Posts: 5,042

Uh... Southwest cut their maintenance more than any other airline. But hey, you don't have to pay baggage fees! Congrats!


Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut33 View Post
Could it be the airlines have implemented unreasonable policies in the name of profits (or lack thereof)? Are they taking ou their money frustrations on the customer?

What about in the instance when my wife is flying AA with a group of kids and they arrive late in Miami due to weather to catch their connecting flight (last flight for the night of course) and the gate attendant says, "You didn't make any alternate reservations in San Jose so we can't get you on any fights tomorrow or even the next day because they are all full". So, after a night of sleeping on the airport floor (hey, it's OK, it's weather related) they wander up to the gate and ask if they can get on the flight. Attendant says yes, it's only "half full". So, why was the guy being a jerk the night before?

When there are 500 people waiting in line to check in, why are there only 2 people working the check-in counter?

Security gets mad because of people bringing small houses with them as carry-ons. Yet, the airline wants to force you to only bring a carry-on due to their stupid baggage fees.

As for fixing the planes, well maybe they shouldn't have made such deep cuts in maintenance?

You're not getting a discount if you only travel with carry-ons. I'm flying cheaper on SW in August than any other airline I checked, and I get to check two bags if I want. There are 4 of us and we'll probably check 3. We'll only have 1 carry-on. If we were flying AA I'd have to bring 4 carryons and lots of other hand held bags. Then I'd have to fight with the people around me to get space to put the carry-ons. Great, sounds like a good practice to me.

Hats off to those in the customer service field that do a good job. Maybe if some of you CSR's weren't indifferent and rude, people wouldn't get angry with you!!

Two sides to every story.
__________________
ExPirateShopGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:41 PM   #15
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 23,091

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut33 View Post
Could it be the airlines have implemented unreasonable policies in the name of profits (or lack thereof)? Are they taking ou their money frustrations on the customer?

What about in the instance when my wife is flying AA with a group of kids and they arrive late in Miami due to weather to catch their connecting flight (last flight for the night of course) and the gate attendant says, "You didn't make any alternate reservations in San Jose so we can't get you on any fights tomorrow or even the next day because they are all full". So, after a night of sleeping on the airport floor (hey, it's OK, it's weather related) they wander up to the gate and ask if they can get on the flight. Attendant says yes, it's only "half full". So, why was the guy being a jerk the night before?

When there are 500 people waiting in line to check in, why are there only 2 people working the check-in counter?

Security gets mad because of people bringing small houses with them as carry-ons. Yet, the airline wants to force you to only bring a carry-on due to their stupid baggage fees.

As for fixing the planes, well maybe they shouldn't have made such deep cuts in maintenance?

You're not getting a discount if you only travel with carry-ons. I'm flying cheaper on SW in August than any other airline I checked, and I get to check two bags if I want. There are 4 of us and we'll probably check 3. We'll only have 1 carry-on. If we were flying AA I'd have to bring 4 carryons and lots of other hand held bags. Then I'd have to fight with the people around me to get space to put the carry-ons. Great, sounds like a good practice to me.

Hats off to those in the customer service field that do a good job. Maybe if some of you CSR's weren't indifferent and rude, people wouldn't get angry with you!!

Two sides to every story.
The problem is, people want it both ways. They want to pay rock bottom prices, yet get every perk imaginable. You consistently see people on this board complaing about paying $200 for cross country flights. The airlines cannot survive when people are not even paying enough per flight to cover the costs of the fuel and flight crew.

You may think baggage fees suck, and I tend to agree with you. But at least I can make a decision to pay the fee or not by how I pack, instead of everyone having to pay a higer cost for a ticket.

Maybe if people would follow the rules and not try to take 4 carry-ons on the plane with them, the CS people wouldn't be so rude! During one flight a few weeks ago I saw a guy try to cram an oversize carryon into the overhead bin. The door wouldn't even come close to closing, so he just proceeded to slam it down a few times, and then leave the compartment open we he couldn't get it shut. Not to mention the people who were not even in their assigned seats, which caused the flight to be delayed while the FAs sorted everyone out.

If service seems to be lacking, well, you get what you pay for.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Makeup Clique Thread - Wanna talk makeup? Wanna share tips? Wanna ask ?'s? CathrynRose Community Board 3747 09-23-2013 02:58 PM
Good Eats 2009 - Less Words, More Pictures! (NEW-Trails End & The Plaza) Dustmouse Disney Dining Reviews 84 10-09-2010 04:06 PM
Good dip recipe needed melk Cooking 4 07-24-2009 01:52 PM
E-cigarettes Not Good for Health EthansMom Community Board 6 07-23-2009 11:41 AM
Southwest Airlines on My Coke Rewards mrp4352 Budget Board 13 07-23-2009 09:23 AM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.