Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #1
JPetti
Earning My Ears

Question Mickey Mouse - Unofficial logo for Disney?

Hi everyone! I have a question. Im a big fan of Mickey Mouse,but I always thought that he was the official logo for Disney. When I go onto websites about the Disney characters they always say that Mickey Mouse is the unofficial logo for Disney? Is that true? I was shocked because Mickey Mouse is a big part of Disney. So if anyone has an answer to this,that would be nice.
JPetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
torsie24
Or I could call it the postalabration
Now I know to wear flip flops!
Got engaged on a trip to Disneyland Paris

I think Disney's logo is the 'disney' word in the disney font.

WDW: 1994-I Drive / 2009-AKL / 2011-Disney Wedding -AKL-GF RPC-BW-BLT
DLRP 1997-HNY / 2000-SL / 2008-SL / 2009-DLH / 2012-HNY
DLR: 2005-Day Trip
torsie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
bradk
She runs to get away from you.

I don't think I've ever heard of Mickey being referred to as a logo, official or not.

Disney is basically a conglomerate, with The Walt Disney Company as the umbrella company. TWDC actually does have Mickey as part of its full logo.

from there on in, there are so many divisions and organizations, each one has their own logo.

I know Mickey is used in the WDI logo, but the element most often used in the Disney logos is simply the Disney D.

if you go to http://corporate.disney.go.com/index.html , you'll see some of the companies and their logos scrolling through. Mickey is also used by DCP.

bradk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Mickey Mouse is a "corporate symbol" and, as such, an unofficial / informal representative of the parks.

The official "logo" of the parks is the word / name "Disney" in the "Disney font." All of the various business units of the company have the Disney name in that font as part of their logo. Mickey also appears on most of them, but not all.

From the standpoint of the parks, Mickey is most often an identifier for MK, not so much for the others.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
BostonRob
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by torsie24 View Post
I think Disney's logo is the 'disney' word in the disney font.
Which I've always thought was Walt's signature. Is that true or did I just incorrectly assume that?
Old 07-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #6
VillianinVogue
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonRob View Post
Which I've always thought was Walt's signature. Is that true or did I just incorrectly assume that?
It is similar to Walt's but not exact. I used to think that too.
VillianinVogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:39 PM   #7
BostonRob
DIS Veteran

Some interesting reading about Walt's signature:

Why do Authentic Walt Disney Signatures Often Look Different From Each Other?
A lot depends on what year it was signed. Disney's signature from the 1920's does not resemble his signature from the 1950's or 60's. Walt consciously re-designed his signature over the years, in much the same way he changed the appearance of Mickey Mouse over time. Walt's signature will look different for every decade, and then there are differences within each decade. The signature used as the logo for the Walt Disney Classics Collection, for example, is based on Walt's autograph from the end of the 1930's/beginning of the 1940's. The autographs with the big horizontal flourishes above the "W" and "D" are mainly from the 1950's and 1960's. Adding to the confusion, like most cartoonists (although this title doesn't apply past the early 1920's!) Walt also had a printed, or Roman signature which he used occasionally throughout his life. This is the signature that looks similar to (but is not the same as) the Disney Company logo. That famous Walt Disney lettering- he invented his own font! You'll usually only see this signature associated with artwork. Walt would often print his name the way the public is familiar with seeing it on matted cels or prints. Printing his name was slower than handwriting it in a cursive manner, so these signatures are not seen as often. What is seen often are the Disney Studio artist's versions of Walt's Roman signature.

Taken from this site:
http://www.phil-sears.com/disney.htm

Tags
disney, fun, logo, mickey mouse, wdw

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: