Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2009, 10:26 AM   #1
DaPanMan
Mouseketeer

Smile DCL Guides

I booked our first ever CRUISE!!! Heading out on the 3 nighter in Feb.

I have 3 kids and the DD13 wants to help plan, but the other 2, DS 10 and DS 6, want to know a few things about the ship, what's available, and whatever else they can think of.

I know Birnbaum's has a Disney guide for kids, but is there one for the cruise that's good? Anyone recommend one for adults too?

Thanks
Disney World 2006 ~ SSR
Diseny World 2007 - SSR
Disney World 2009 - AKL
Disney World 2010 - BWV
Disney Cruise 2010 - 1st Cruise
DaPanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
calmpets
DIS Veteran

The Passporter's Disney Cruise Line guidebook is the only one I'm aware of that focuses on the cruise. It's really helpful, too, and if you order it from the Passporter sie directly (http://www.passporter.com/dcl/guidebook.asp) you can download a .pdf version to read while you wait for the actual book.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #3
rkwier
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmpets View Post
The Passporter's Disney Cruise Line guidebook is the only one I'm aware of that focuses on the cruise. It's really helpful, too, and if you order it from the Passporter sie directly (http://www.passporter.com/dcl/guidebook.asp) you can download a .pdf version to read while you wait for the actual book.
We love the Passporter's Guide! It is very detailed and even gives some reviews/ratings of the port excursions. We found it extremely helpful, plus reading it just increases the excitement of planning. We bought ours at Borders (had a 25% off coupon), but they are also available on Amazon in addition to the Passporter site.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
ppiew
DIS Veteran

Check out (and print) the NAVIGATORS on this site for daily activities by age group. I think that would be very helpful for all age groups
ppiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
SheWhoMustBeObeyed
Earning My Ears

2 things that my DS12 LOVED (and still loves to watch, even after our cruise) are:
DCL's planning video. You can either order a DVD, or you may download it onto your computer to watch anytime - for free! Check out DCL's homepage.
Also,
The Travel Channel has a great, hour-long special on DCL that they run every so often. Keep your eye open for that if you have Travel Channel.
Have fun planning! To me, that's almost as much fun as the actual vacation!!!
Old 07-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #6
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

I LOVE the Birnbaum's WDW Guidebooks (buy one every year) but find the one they put out for DCL lacks very much. There is just surface info, not really anything in depth. I would recommend, as others have, the Passporter Guide if you want a good DCL guide book. But, it does have its errors from time to time but overall very good.

You can find a ton of info here on the Dis or at the www.disneycruise.com

Also, as mentioned, look up some past Navigator's to see what day to day activities there are onboard.

Have fun planning!!

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
DaPanMan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheWhoMustBeObeyed View Post
2 things that my DS12 LOVED (and still loves to watch, even after our cruise) are:
DCL's planning video. You can either order a DVD, or you may download it onto your computer to watch anytime - for free! Check out DCL's homepage.
Also,
The Travel Channel has a great, hour-long special on DCL that they run every so often. Keep your eye open for that if you have Travel Channel.
Have fun planning! To me, that's almost as much fun as the actual vacation!!!

All the kids have seen that one and love it. In fact, shortly after we booked, Travel Channel showed it and all I heard was, "are we gonna do that?" "can I go there?"

I knew Passporter did a cruise guide, but really couldn't find another one out there. I knew I could count on fellow DISer's to help me out.

I greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
Disney World 2006 ~ SSR
Diseny World 2007 - SSR
Disney World 2009 - AKL
Disney World 2010 - BWV
Disney Cruise 2010 - 1st Cruise
DaPanMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: