Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2009, 06:09 AM   #1
mdistasi
Earning My Ears

Disney in Virgina

Did anyone hear anything about Disney buying Busch Gardens ?
mdistasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:33 AM   #2
Justin the Hook
No, I am your Father!!!

This is a very long ago rumor. There is a thread started somewhere that has this and many others like buying land in Louisanna and really everywhere were some one wants Disney to build a park. There was a rumor a while back that Disney bought land up here in PA near Gettysburg and I have a friend who is on a Historical Associations board that said they met with execs on them building a park, but it was voted down. Until you see a Disney sign going up a Busch Gardens I would just take this as a rumor.

Justin the Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-21-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
mom2taylorandemily
Not so patiently waiting our next trip to Disney....!

It might be a rumor, but it sure would make my day!!!!!!

DH 59 Me 50 DD 16 DD 14
Sept. 1993 - offsite "1st Trip" / Oct. 1995 - offsite Honeymoon / Dec. 2006 - WL / Dec. 2007 - CBR / Dec. 2008 - CBR
Aug. 2009 - CBR / Dec. 2009 - POFQ / Aug. 2010 - CBR / Aug. 2011 - POR
Aug. 2012 - CBR~Emily's 13th!! Birthday / Dec. 2012 - CBR~Taylor's Sweet 16!!

Aug. 2013 - POFQ~Celebrating My 50th!!! / Aug. 2014 - POFQ ~ No Kids!!
mom2taylorandemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
DRC
Earning My Ears

About 15yrs ago or so, Disney did secretly buy property in Haymarket Virginia to build Disney's America. Thankfully, we were able to chase them out, though I dispute Disney's assertion that we chased them out, I think they realized it was a bad investment and could make more money from movies, etc....Northern VA does not have the traffic infrastructure to support a theme park of that magnitude.
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
Thankfully, we were able to chase them out, though I dispute Disney's assertion that we chased them out...
Ummm....
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:39 AM   #6
yitbos96bb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin the Hook View Post
This is a very long ago rumor. There is a thread started somewhere that has this and many others like buying land in Louisanna and really everywhere were some one wants Disney to build a park. There was a rumor a while back that Disney bought land up here in PA near Gettysburg and I have a friend who is on a Historical Associations board that said they met with execs on them building a park, but it was voted down. Until you see a Disney sign going up a Busch Gardens I would just take this as a rumor.
I HEARD Disney is buying the Department of the Interior and plans on putting Mickey's face on Mt Rushmore. True Story... My father's brother's sister's aunt's former roommates imaginary friend told me.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:40 AM   #7
KYMickey
Adding EARS to Kentucky!

Location: Louisville Kentucky, home of the Derby and the 2014 TPC championship!

Quote:
About 15yrs ago or so, Disney did secretly buy property in Haymarket Virginia to build Disney's America. Thankfully, we were able to chase them out, though I dispute Disney's assertion that we chased them out, I think they realized it was a bad investment and could make more money from movies, etc....Northern VA does not have the traffic infrastructure to support a theme park of that magnitude.
So you're one of the people we can blame for not having that park! It would have certainly been a huge asset to your community and to the area. Your statement about traffic infrastructure is ridiculous. Orlando didn't have the infrastructure either before Disney arrived, the infrastructure was the result of Disney coming to the area like it would be any place they built!
Old 07-25-2009, 08:21 AM   #8
DizCaptain
°o° Disney Enthusiast

Quote:
Congrats...you chased out a family oriented disney theme park so you can build corporate offices, shopping centers, and a large set of country club homes...

"Laughter is America's most important export." -Walt Disney

DizCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:11 PM   #9
Padrepride
The Ultimate Padre Fan

IMO, the best idea out there right now for a new park is Disney's America. It's really a shame that the Virginia location didn't work out.
Padrepride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:47 PM   #10
WI WDWGIRL
Earning My Ears

You chased out Disney because of inferior highways? WHAT???
WI WDWGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:47 PM   #11
Goopy
I live less than 8 miles from the Magic

I dont see Disney building a park in VA or anywhere else on the East Coast. They might put up some Disney themed resorts/hotels around the place but other than WDW or DL I wouldnt expect to see a park anywhere else in the US.

A park not in Florida or California or on the doorstep of those states would be a seasonal park with very limited operational schedules, you would be better off building it where you could be open all year and use it to possibly draw more people to your existing parks and resorts.

Just my 2 cents worth
Goopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:17 AM   #12
coloneldebugger
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Toll Brothers and other home builders were able to chase them out with their "oh deary me the traffic and pollution and crime oh my" fear mongering. So they built their massive housing developments on the land. Which of course put more car traffic on the roads than Disney would have. Try driving out that way on I66 some evening. It's a real pleasure.

I would trust the people of Disney to move people into and out of their properties looooooooooooooooooooooooong before I'd trust and government to solve traffic issues.

Think of all the things that Northern Virginia could have had without the developers and hire hand protesters. Lego Land, Disney, Redskins stadium... All these areas were subsequently bull dozed for houses and strip malls.
coloneldebugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:44 PM   #13
wishdisney
a true WDW fan.

If Disney does buy Busch Gardens, then they might as well buy the Tampa one too. Disney would be invading both D.C./Virginia and all of Central Florida!

...But Busch Gardens is owned by the company that runs Sea World. Uh ohs!
wishdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:31 PM   #14
Goopy
I live less than 8 miles from the Magic

Here is a question, has anyone ever seen an example of Disney purchasing a park, hotel or anything else and rebranding it as their own?

Im not saying its never been done, Id just like to know if anyone has any specific examples.
Goopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:14 PM   #15
DJNOWICK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Northern VA does not have the traffic infrastructure to support a theme park of that magnitude.
If you build it, they will come...

Off-site: March 1981, Off-site: April 1988, Caribbean Beach: April 1996, PO: May 2002, 7-day Land/Sea (Grand Floridian) July 2002, PO: March 2003, AKL/Polynesian: November 2003, Girls Weekend Food and Wine Festival Trip (YC Sept/Oct 2006), Grandma's 60th b-day: PC, OKW DVC rental on DISBoards, and AKL, Nov/Dec 2006, AKL Halloween 2008, Bay Lake Towers Nov/Dec 2009, Boardwalk Villas August 2010, Sheraton Vistana Nov/Dec 2010, Sheraton Vistana Nov/Dec 2010
DJNOWICK is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: