Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 06:57 PM   #751
2gr8DisneyKids
DIS Veteran

No Standard View Rooms?

When I called to book (and looked on-line) with Disney (got AAA room-only) there was no option for a standard view. We were not going to pay for it either, being no balcony and all, but I did not even have the option. Not even on-line and missing out on AAA. Any thoughts???

It would save us more than $100 to drop down... I would not mind having the $$$ it all adds up!

POLY 1979, POLY 1990, Treehouse 1993, one-day visit 1996, DL OS 2000, CR 2007, CBR 2009, POLY (Princess 1/2) & 3-night DCL 2010, POP 2010, 7-night NYE Eastern DCL 2010, 2011 AKL/POP and BLT/BC and OKW, 2012 POFQ/Vero Beach and AKV, 2013 POP (Goofy Race and a Half) and Vero Beach/CSR, 2014 AoA (Minnie 10K)
Old 08-04-2009, 06:58 PM   #752
RayJay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
No, I don't think it is worth an extra $25 a night. We've only paid for it once, and five of the other six times we were upgraded to a water view. A water view could literally be a corner of a quiet pool, a puddle, a fountain or the lake. Since there is no balcony, definitely not worth it. A standard view can be a parking lot...but there is usually some landscaping in front of it or one of the beautiful courtyards.
I wouldn't mine having one of the courtyards, they look great. So I should
ask for casitas because a standard room at cabanas almost assures me a parking
lot from what I can see?

Thanks for the Info.
RayJay
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-04-2009, 07:26 PM   #753
nathanyell
DIS Veteran

Definitely!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jendubz View Post
So without slapping me... is this place that much better than a Value? Would you definitely stay here for 7 days with your SO?

Is it worth $300+ more (including FD)?
We (So and I) did a trip in February to All-Star Music. It would have been $300 to upgrade for the week as well. I definitely would upgrade! We did not spend much time in the room and requested a quiet room. The CM we checked in with admitted that there is no real "quiet" room. We were in the back corner of the resort and still had kids going up and down the walkways at night. There is not as much romantic ambiance either. I have stayed at POR, and visited CSR. If you can swing it, do it! Stay in the Castitas... You won't regret it!!

Brian
Old 08-04-2009, 07:56 PM   #754
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by M & E love WDW View Post
Okay, so now I can say how much I enjoyed the pictures too. Thank you Onelilspark for sharing them. I requested Casitas 4 or 5 or Ranchos 6a on my ressie and enjoyed seeing the Ranchos pics especially. When looking at other folks photos, seems like it's the least photographed section.

Disneymath, when I wanted to add a request, the first CM said it could not be done but, when I called back, the next young lady was more than happy to add it.

RayJay, I didn't think it would be worth it to spend the extra $ on waterview since there is no balcony. We will take the time to take in all the views while sitting outside and enjoying a tasty cocktail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksc37 View Post
onelilspark -

Thanks for the detailed trip report and the great pictures! I've never seen so many pictures of the Ranchos. They look really nice, too bad they're so far away from everything. Your pictures made me even more excited (if that's possible) for my upcoming trip!
Thanks again to both of you

I really liked the atmosphere of the Ranchos. IMO, compared to the Cabanas, I found the Ranchos to be a very pretty section, which I didn't anticipate prior to actually being there. I didn't get a chance to get over to the Casitas, so I can't compare it to them. The only problem I had was the walking in the heat
Old 08-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #755
dwsandy
Mouseketeer

Fantastic photos onelilspark!!!! Everything looks so nice and DH will be thrilled to know it's not nescafe at CSR

Old 08-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #756
dwsandy
Mouseketeer

ADR's for Maya Grill?

My parents are checking in a few days after we arrive and don't get in until 4:30. They would like to try Maya Grill but are not sure what time they will be settled in. Do you generally need ADR's to get in or do you think they will be able to get seated if they just wing it?

Old 08-04-2009, 08:24 PM   #757
Hosel-Hit
Earning My Ears

Thanks for making me feel so welcome

Already in vacation mode at work...
Old 08-04-2009, 08:46 PM   #758
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Oh no. I am in trouble. Is the marina really closed now? I promised my family it was open. I know we can go to another marina, but they like it to be right at the hotel, and I was sure it would be open during the summer.

Also, is the internal courtesy shuttle gone? That was also a selling point when we chose CSR. We don't mind walking at all usually, it's just hard to walk in the heat.

Is Cabana 8A far from the bus stop? I can't decide if it's better to be closer to the pool or the bus. I only have a few more days till I have to fax in our requests, and I'm still deciding between the cabanas.

Thanks!

Old 08-04-2009, 08:56 PM   #759
princessmom29
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jendubz View Post
So without slapping me... is this place that much better than a Value? Would you definitely stay here for 7 days with your SO?

Is it worth $300+ more (including FD)?
I think it is totally worth the upgrade!! We realy struggled with the value vs. Mod debate and are sooo glad we chose a mod. Our friends did the POP and will be doing CSR for their nect trip after seeing our pic, and hearing about it. It is just a quite, peaceful place to be after a long day in the parks. We were able to just wind down and relax.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:03 PM   #760
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
What a fantastic thread! I have a pool question: are the quiet pools heated? How late are they open? Do they have hot tubs?
Thanks.
Yes, the pools are heated; the hours vary depending on time of year. Yes, the CSR has a hot tub--the largest of all the moderates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gr8DisneyKids View Post
When I called to book (and looked on-line) with Disney (got AAA room-only) there was no option for a standard view. We were not going to pay for it either, being no balcony and all, but I did not even have the option. Not even on-line and missing out on AAA. Any thoughts???

It would save us more than $100 to drop down... I would not mind having the $$$ it all adds up!
I would keep checking to see if a standard opens up so you can save the dollars. The one time we did pay for the water view, we got a great view of the lake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJay View Post
I wouldn't mine having one of the courtyards, they look great. So I should
ask for casitas because a standard room at cabanas almost assures me a parking
lot from what I can see?

Thanks for the Info.
RayJay
We LOVE the Casitas. We've stayed there the previous seven visits. It really is a very pretty area. Depending on when you are going (if it is before the rehab is done), ask for Casitas 4 or 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsandy View Post
My parents are checking in a few days after we arrive and don't get in until 4:30. They would like to try Maya Grill but are not sure what time they will be settled in. Do you generally need ADR's to get in or do you think they will be able to get seated if they just wing it?
I have never seen Maya Grill crowded that you need an ADR. That being said, however, if there is a convention and they are going during dinner time, they might want to get one just to be safe. If they don't arrive at the airport until 4:30, I'd make the dinner ressie for 7:30 and they should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosel-Hit View Post
Thanks for making me feel so welcome

Already in vacation mode at work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloelovesdisney View Post
Oh no. I am in trouble. Is the marina really closed now? I promised my family it was open. I know we can go to another marina, but they like it to be right at the hotel, and I was sure it would be open during the summer.

Also, is the internal courtesy shuttle gone? That was also a selling point when we chose CSR. We don't mind walking at all usually, it's just hard to walk in the heat.

Is Cabana 8A far from the bus stop? I can't decide if it's better to be closer to the pool or the bus. I only have a few more days till I have to fax in our requests, and I'm still deciding between the cabanas.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I was told that the marina is closed because of lack of use--no one has been renting the boats. Sometimes they will surprise and open it on a weekend. The internal courtesy shuttle has been gone for about a year. However, we have found that if they are driving around, they often ask anyway if you want a lift.

I've never stayed in the Cabanas so I can't offer which one is closer to the buses (also, we don't use the buses, we drive everywhere). Cabana 8a is close to the Dig Site (and playground) and bus stop 4 with a short walk to the main building (closest to the pool). Note that bus stop 4 is the 3rd stop picked up--they start at bus stop 2, then 3, then 4 and then 1.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:11 PM   #761
MGNA
Mouseketeer

We were assigned a first floor corner room in Cabanas 8B & loved the location! We were just steps away from the quiet pool, maybe a 1-2 minute (if that long) walk from the Digg Site and maybe a minute walk from the bus stop. Our preference would be for the room to be closer to the quiet pool vs the bus stop because we chose to rent a car. Everyone has their own preference but the rental car worked great for us!

Our room was a standard view which didn't affect us at all. Actually it worked out well because the boys were usually asleep at the end of the day. It was a lot less walking carrying them from the car to the room!

We would be thrilled to have that room again! We loved the location and extra set of windows.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:11 PM   #762
aprilp
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gr8DisneyKids View Post
The views are the best, and I guess the leaves start to change in late August which means we will see them start to change. We are here the first and last weeks of Aug.
Not to rain on your parade, but I was born and raised an hour east of Orlando and the leaves never changed down there. They were either alive (green) or dead (brown). I specifically remember that because we used to get so excited when we would come up here for vacation and would take tons of pictures of the trees in the spring and fall. We couldnt believe all the colors! Lol! Of course, we ARE talking disney here, so I suppose anything is possible.

onelilspark: I feel your pain about the heat! People think I'm crazy when I say I wont go NEAR central florida in the summertime...except my parents. They know how I am....they took my sister and I to disney once in June when we were kids and while watching a parade I got sick from the heat. I cant remember what restaurant it was but I remember them taking me inside and laying me across a couple of chairs so that i could cool off while lying down. Now my sister, on the other hand, can be out on the beach when its near 100 degrees and not even break a sweat, while I am sitting next to her sweating profusely and having a hard time breathing in the heavy, high-humidity air! lol! I envy those of you who can handle the heat and humidity....
My WDW trips: Nov 18-23 2013 POR; Nov. 30-Dec. 4 2011 POP; Nov 30-Dec 5 2009 CSR; Dec 3-8 2008 POP; various times in 2003, 2004 & 2005 CB and offsite; 1996 overnight for my sister's graduation POR; 1991 - Grad Nite; multiple day trips 1970's-1980's w/family when we lived in Tampa[/I][/COLOR]

Last edited by aprilp; 08-04-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:21 PM   #763
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
Coffee! (As promised!! The packs they give you have the coffee inside it's own filter, like a little pouch that you just put inside the machine. I'm not sure what kind of filter you need if you were bringing it from home, but hopefully that helps!)
THANK YOU! I like to bring my Dunkin' Donuts grounds and I can tell by this pic that I was incorrect on the cone type, it is the basket. 4 cup basket filters!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
Coffee machine at the Rix Cafe...still not NesCafe!
MUSIC TO MY EARS! Did you try it by any chance? If so, how was it?

I'm such a coffee fiend.

Thank you a million times over for the research! And absolutely beautiful pictures!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchandPooh'sMom View Post
The Brazilian tour groups come in July because it is winter break in Brazil. Apparently it is a rite of passage of sorts for 15 year old Brazilians, and from posts on the Theme Parks board, they travel en masse. Some have also reported smaller groups in January (their summer break), but I have never seen them in January (and haven't ever been in July).

The football tournament is Pop Warner, which is composed of American school kids and happens every year in early December. They've also been known to take over a resort or a park as well.
We saw them EVERYWHERE in January. Usually a huge crowd wearing matching vibrantly colored shirts or warm-up suits. They weren't ever rowdy or rude though; only one time in a bathroom there were about 20 girls and 10 of them were sitting on the counter along the sinks blocking every one of them except the last sink. It wasn't so bad because I was the only non-Brazilian in there. If the bathroom had been busy and they were just sitting there...that would have been a different story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer Fan View Post
Somehow I missed your question
(Kathy tells me I'm not allowed to be gone for a few days, as I "miss" things )

Anywho.... the coffee makers are 4-cup, and they take the basket (flat-bottomed) filters
Thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
ABSOLUTELY NO DAYS OFF FOR YOU!
A slave driver, eh?

Thank you to everyone for helping me solve the coffee mystery! I am truly grateful for the research and the help. I am GIDDY that they don't serve Nescrape! Just another reason I love the CSR before I've even stayed there....
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
Old 08-04-2009, 09:27 PM   #764
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGNA View Post
We were assigned a first floor corner room in Cabanas 8B & loved the location! We were just steps away from the quiet pool, maybe a 1-2 minute (if that long) walk from the Digg Site and maybe a minute walk from the bus stop. Our preference would be for the room to be closer to the quiet pool vs the bus stop because we chose to rent a car. Everyone has their own preference but the rental car worked great for us!

Our room was a standard view which didn't affect us at all. Actually it worked out well because the boys were usually asleep at the end of the day. It was a lot less walking carrying them from the car to the room!

We would be thrilled to have that room again! We loved the location and extra set of windows.
This sounds like the perfect location for us as well. We requested 8A or 8B - those buildings are only 2 floors, correct? We really want to be near the playground, the pool, and the bus stop.

How long of a walk to El Centro was it from your location?
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
Old 08-04-2009, 09:27 PM   #765
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Thanks! I think I will request cabana 8a and then any other cabanas after that.

We are big boat renters, and do it at least once, if not more on every single trip. It's not something that is usually available to us in NYC, and it's a fun activity that everyone can enjoy.

I am sorry to hear that the internal shuttle is long gone. I think that was a nice courtesy option for the guests.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: