Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #16
ikerumba
Earning My Ears

Latex Allergy

If you know that you are already allergic to natural rubber latex, then there is a good chance that you will be allergic to foods that also contain latex such as such as avocados, bananas, kiwis, eggplant, passion fruit, mangos, papayas..

Allergic reactions can include itching, burning, and/or swelling of the lips, tongue, mouth, and throat. Severe allergic reactions are also possible including anaphylaxis where your airways can become so inflamed that they constrict. Either way, if you suffer from latex related allergies you’ll want to stay away from these foods.

Also I've heard of people who can tolerate these foods individually, but when they combine fruits like a Mango/Banana smoothie or Papaya/Banana smoothie, they have allergic reactions.
ikerumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #17
GatorMommy2007
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennedyMcKenna View Post
I have a latex allergy, and latex is in EVERYTHING. I would say, try some non latex bandaids and see how that goes.
Same here...and Neosporin FEEDS an infection in me. Watch how you react around balloons and rubberbands.

Strangely enough, I have no reaction to foods, but I always carry Benadryl just in case.

Mine started with just Bandaids and Neosporin, and then it grew to a full blown latex allergy--discovered when my throat closed when my child was playing with it in a car.

GatorMommy2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #18
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

How do you know if you are reacting to the adhesive? When I take band aids off I have a raised red welt in the shape of the bandage for a couple days. Nothing where the pad is, just where the tape is. Is that what you are talking about?
StitchesGr8Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:45 AM   #19
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

For the ointment allergy - try to find an antibiotic cream instead. I am allergic to all ointments, as it is something in the ointment base that causes my skin to swell.

I have adhesive sensitivity too. I've done the gauze and wrap, the ace bandage stuff, and I've tried NuSkin too. None work as well as a good old bandaid, so I alternate as needed. Luckily, I heal very quickly!
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: