DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
GGOOFY1
DIS Veteran

Check in at OKW 7/19

I have friends that rented points and are staying in a 2bedroom lock-off HH at OKW. (WHEW) They arrived at OKW at 1pm today and their room was not ready, but they knew that they were assigned to building 14. So far, so good. They spent a rainy afternoon at the pool, and would check in every hour to see if their room was ready yet. At 4:30pm they were told that their room was still not ready and it could be until 6 or 7pm before it is ready. They were told that 4pm is check in time and they have until 6 to have the room ready. Has anyone heard of this before. I thought check in and room ready were one in the same.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:49 PM   #2
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGOOFY1 View Post
I have friends that rented points and are staying in a 2bedroom lock-off HH at OKW. (WHEW) They arrived at OKW at 1pm today and their room was not ready, but they knew that they were assigned to building 14. So far, so good. They spent a rainy afternoon at the pool, and would check in every hour to see if their room was ready yet. At 4:30pm they were told that their room was still not ready and it could be until 6 or 7pm before it is ready. They were told that 4pm is check in time and they have until 6 to have the room ready. Has anyone heard of this before. I thought check in and room ready were one in the same.
nope, actually not sure there is a definite time. The wording on confirmations is check in is "after" 4pm.

This is DVC's new way to discourage renting. Just Kidding, but I could see them doing it.

I will say that for the first time I can ever remember when I booked my most recent trip the agent asked me several times if I would be staying in the room. When I asked her why, she said, we are trying very hard to "label" rental reservations.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2009, 06:57 PM   #3
VG9493
DVC Member OKW '92

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Last August when we arrived at OKW to check into a GV on a Saturday we were told our room wasn't ready. We went to the pool and every hour or so we checked back. By 430 our room still wasn't ready and we were told the same thing that it might be 6 or 7 o'clock till our room was ready. I told them they needed to find me something available and finally at 5pm we got a room. We were told the room we were supposed to be in originally was left in very poor condition, and they actually had to take the room out of service. I pray i don't have the same issue this year.
VG9493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:08 PM   #4
rbuzzotta
OKW until 2042
I only wish it could mean 24/7 until 2042!!!!
Cheer mom

That happened to us once and we did not get into our room until after 6 PM. We missed our Chef Mickey reservations as we were by the pool and swimming and really didn't feel like showering at the pool bathroom to get ready for dinner. The girls were bummed...........but since it happenend, I do not book a dinner on the first night anymore!!
Old 07-19-2009, 07:19 PM   #5
JACKie SPARROW
Mouseketeer

Since about 2005 we have always been able to check into our room before 1pm and as early as 8am Prior to that actually getting into our room was a bit slow.

We will be checking into BWV in mid-August and have a 6pm ressie ar Boma, so I hope our room is ready. We are hoping to check in at 1 and go off property to do some grocery shopping.

Honestly, I would rather get into my room a bit later and have the villa thoroughly cleaned. All too often we hear of members checking into rooms only to find them in need of additional cleaning. If I can't get my room upon arrival, I'll be disappointed but won't let it bother me.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbuzzotta View Post
That happened to us once and we did not get into our room until after 6 PM. We missed our Chef Mickey reservations as we were by the pool and swimming and really didn't feel like showering at the pool bathroom to get ready for dinner. The girls were bummed...........but since it happenend, I do not book a dinner on the first night anymore!!
We learned that lesson the hard way too, we only do Counter Service the first night.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:29 PM   #7
DisneyFreaks
Don't get me started about those darn busses!

When we stayed at OKW the same thing happened to us. We kept calling just to be told the rooms weren't ready. Finally at 6:15pm DH went back to the desk personally and our rooms were ready. The CM told him never to call on the phone for rooms because most times you will be told they are not ready. She said our rooms were more than likely given to someone who was actually standing at check in at the time they became available. I have always remembered this and never "call" anymore. We also do not make dining reservations our arrival night.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:45 PM   #8
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFreaks View Post
When we stayed at OKW the same thing happened to us. We kept calling just to be told the rooms weren't ready. Finally at 6:15pm DH went back to the desk personally and our rooms were ready. The CM told him never to call on the phone for rooms because most times you will be told they are not ready. She said our rooms were more than likely given to someone who was actually standing at check in at the time they became available. I have always remembered this and never "call" anymore. We also do not make dining reservations our arrival night.
When you check in you are issued your KTTW cards at that time. If they gave away your room later, you would be required to return to the desk to have the KTTW cards encoded again with the new room lock. We always call on the phone, and have no issues. Sometimes they are ready in an hour, sometimes it is six hours. That being said, when it is not ready by 5 pm I will also return to the desk. I would be upset if they "gave away" my room though.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:23 PM   #9
GGOOFY1
DIS Veteran

When I spoke to her at 4:50pm, I told her to go up to the front and request a different room even if not in HH booking, request Miller's Road since it is close to the main pool. When she did this, they told her that her room is still not ready, Miller's Road not available, but a different 2-bedroom lock-off in the same building she was assigned was available and they would switch her to the room that was ready. Hopefully that is the only hitch in their vacation.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:35 AM   #10
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

I sincerely hope this does not happen to us - after a 9 hour flight from the UK, I will not be happy if our rooms aren't ready at 5 pm when we arrive
wilma-bride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:01 AM   #11
Cee
DIS Veteran

What I have found is that when you leave to go to the pool, parks, etc. there is no urgency to get the room ready. If you stay there, in the lobby and STARE AT THEM.....the room could be available much faster.
Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:02 AM   #12
barrysprot36
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
I sincerely hope this does not happen to us - after a 9 hour flight from the UK, I will not be happy if our rooms aren't ready at 5 pm when we arrive
Same here

We checked into BCV last year about 9am after breakfast at Cape May and our studio was ready there and then. Not the view we wanted but we took it as it was ready.

Caron

Aug '97 ~ DLP Sequia Lodge
Aug '02 ~ WDW Indian Ridge Villa
Aug '03 ~ DLP Newport Bay
July '04 ~ CBR
July '06 ~ CR, RPR, AKL
Aug '07 ~ CBR, Poly, free DDP
Aug '08 ~ POFQ, BCV, GF,
May '09 ~ WL CL Aug '09 ~ OKW, VB, SSR, BLT Dec '09 ~ Pop, OKW, BLT, CR Atrium & BCV
May '10 ~ Pop, POR & OKW Aug '10 ~ CSR, RPR & BLT Oct '10 ~ BWV, AKV & BLT
May '11 ~ Sunset Lakes Villa & Vero Beach
July'12 ~ BCV, BLT & Sunset Lakes Villa
Nov'12 ~ DLP Newport Bay
April'13 ~ Pop, RPR & BLT August'13 ~ BLT & OKW
May'14 ~ VGF & Kidani September'14 ~ WBTA, RPR & BLT
barrysprot36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:29 AM   #13
Alexander
DIS Veteran

We've had rooms ready as early as 7:00 in the morning (granted the view was less than stellar since the room had been empty the night before--ol' dumpster view).

Otherwise we have only had to wait as long as maybe 2:30 for a room. Now, we've only stayed in studios and 1 bedrooms, mostly studios, so I'm sure that has something to do with it--there is a lot less to clean in the smaller rooms. Afterall a 2 bedroom has 4 beds to change, 2 bathrooms to clean, tons more towels to fold and layout, plus the whole kitchen.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:44 PM   #14
iluveeyore
DVC Member - Disney is my second home!

We shouldn't have any problems with our 2 bedroom lock-off since we don't get there until 9pm - but does that mean all the good views will be gone and we won't have a choice which building? We requested HH, and we arrive on a Saturday.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:54 PM   #15
Alexander
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluveeyore View Post
We shouldn't have any problems with our 2 bedroom lock-off since we don't get there until 9pm - but does that mean all the good views will be gone and we won't have a choice which building? We requested HH, and we arrive on a Saturday.
HH is technically a request anymore, but a booking category. There is no reason you won't get your HH location. As far as view, etc. It all depends on how full the resort is and what villas are open. You could check in at 9:00 AM and still end up with the same villa. There really is no secret or magic trick to getting the perfect view or location, it truly is up to dumb ol' luck.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: