Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
tami82
DIS Veteran

Dental emergencies while on vacation??

Im just wondering if anyone on the boards has ever had a dental problem that couldnt wait and had to get taken care of while at Disney. Where did you go and does insurance cover it?

I guess im being paranoid because almost yearly i have some sort of problem such as a root canal, broken tooth, etc... im just not blessed in the dental department and tooth problems are always on the back of my mind.
tami82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
~Kristina~
DIS Veteran

I saw a 24 hour dentist's office in downtown Orlando. Don't know about insurance or anything.

November 21-28, 2015 Fort Wilderness
Summer 2016
~Kristina~ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #3
dyna
DIS Veteran

Yeah we have had a few dental emergencies that we ended up fixing ourselves once while boating my oldest who has TMJ had her mouth lock open I grabbed a towel an ice from cooler we headed to the boat ramp 15 mins away where the truck an trailer was at. Just as we got boat on trailer DD was able to close mouth the ice pack had worked.

Good thing it worked we was still an hour from closest hospital who would have had to called in a dentist. Boating was over for the day tho....

Then another time another DD had a wire break in mouth while we was at disney an was poking her causing her mouth to bleed. We went to 1st Aid at Epcot they allowed DH to use a pair of their nail clippers (only thing they had) to cut the wire in DD's mouth an she was able to get thru the rest of the week till we got home.
dyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

If you are prone to dental problems, it might be a good idea to have a check-up a few weeks before you leave to find out if there are any problems that need to be solved, and time to fix them.

I'm sure resort front desks keep that sort of information handy, but you could also look up some clinics in the area for your peace of mind.

PHXscuba
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
tami82
DIS Veteran

thanks. I usually do get a check up not too far from going away but you never know with these types of things they can creep up at any time.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:37 PM   #6
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Also get trip insurance!!! I was reading our policy yesterday (the documents came in and I read everything!) and dental emergencies were included.

For what it's worth, I booked through AAA and got the insurance they recommended. I don't know whether it's theirs or Disney's.

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:49 AM   #7
tami82
DIS Veteran

we got the insurance through Disney, im not sure exactly what that covers.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:43 PM   #8
3boymthr
DIS Veteran

Because benefits are capped/limited dental plans historically aren't as restrictive as medical plans. If you have delta dental or any of the other national insurance carriers, ie, MetLife, Cigna, BCBS, etc. you've pretty much got nothing to worry about.

You may have to pay any amounts over and above reasonable and customary and if the dentist doesn't accept your plan you may have to pay out of pocket and wait to get reimbursed. Even if you have a dental ppo or hmo most of these plans have provisions for out of area coverage.

If you are concerned about your out of area coverage contact your dental plan or company administrator they should be able to get your questions answered. If you contact your dental plan make sure to use the term "out of area coverage", instead of "out of network coverage;" these two terms have completely different meanings in terms of reimbursement.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: