Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #1216
gretchenohar@hotmail

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by weebabes View Post
Hi
We are planning to take my 11 year old daughter to Victoria and Alberts in August. She likes her food and is quite adventurous and keen to try new things.

Has anyone taken a child and how did they get on? Will the chef cater for a less mature palate?

Here's a family's review of V & A's chef's table. Sounds like the children & the adults had a wonderful time!
Bon Appetite!!!
http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2010/0...-table-review/
gretchenohar@hotmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:25 PM   #1217
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretchenohar@hotmail View Post
Here's a family's review of V & A's chef's table. Sounds like the children & the adults had a wonderful time!
Bon Appetite!!!
http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2010/0...-table-review/
Since the age restriction was established in 2008, we have dined there eight times and have never even seen what appeared to be a teenager or someone in their young twenties. [Ah, the "young twenties!"] To be sure, we do not know the ages of the guests who dined there during those other multiple seatings over 2,000 additional evenings at V&A.

The posted family experience/review at the chef's table noted that that children were able to "walk around" in the private room, since the group of five appeared to be the only ones in there. In the main dining room or even the QV room, such activity would not resonate well with fellow guests (or the multiple staffers who weave in and out of tables with choreographic flair).

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
BC1836 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2014, 04:53 PM   #1218
jiminyfan
Daddy, Dreamer and WDWnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by weebabes View Post
Hi We are planning to take my 11 year old daughter to Victoria and Alberts in August. She likes her food and is quite adventurous and keen to try new things. Has anyone taken a child and how did they get on? Will the chef cater for a less mature palate?

We took our son over Thanksgiving and he was blown away. He has been to some special events, chef's tables, but by far he said this was the best meal he ever had.

If your child is used to fine dining they will do fine.

They can substitute items per course. My son is not the biggest fish eater, so he asked for the vegetarian dish for that course. I was pleasantly impressed how the staff treated him throughout the evening really making him feel special.

April 2014
Son and his school is performed at Downtown Disney and the band lead the Good Friday Parade
Wonderful Time and great shows by the students

August 2014 - First AoA stay looking forward to a new home for our vacation

Fall 2014 - Still in the planning stages, but F&W will be part of it
jiminyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:00 AM   #1219
MarlaSingersLaundry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
Since the age restriction was established in 2008, we have dined there eight times and have never even seen what appeared to be a teenager or someone in their young twenties. [Ah, the "young twenties!"] To be sure, we do not know the ages of the guests who dined there during those other multiple seatings over 2,000 additional evenings at V&A.

All the best.
We've had the same experience. We've dinned four times in the last year and haven't seen anyone under 25 or so. I'm sure that people will bring their children from time to time. It's a pricy meal for a tween if they don't like it. But if your child is used to this type of dinning and food, they may really like it. You can request to see the vegetarian menu as well, and order some courses off it.

Have a great time!

1985 Off site~1986 Off site~1990 CBR~1992 DL~2001 Off site~2003 Hong Kong Disneyland~4/10 AKV~4/11 SSR and Pop~12/11 AKV~10/12 VWL~12/12 OKW~2/13 AKV~5/13 WL~10/13 England~12/13 VGF~2/9 BLT~ Coming up 5/14~ ALV~10/14 VGF
MarlaSingersLaundry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:05 PM   #1220
GeorgiaHoo
DIS Veteran

Anyone have any thoughts on differences between the Queen Vic and regular room? We are currently booked for the regular room on April 30 but are thinking about upgrading to the Queen Vic room. Queen Vic seems like it might be more "stuffy" but the 10 course is a bit more appealing to me than the 7.
GeorgiaHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:16 PM   #1221
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaHoo View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on differences between the Queen Vic and regular room? We are currently booked for the regular room on April 30 but are thinking about upgrading to the Queen Vic room. Queen Vic seems like it might be more "stuffy" but the 10 course is a bit more appealing to me than the 7.
We have dined in the QV room twice and have determined that there is simply too much food to consume...at least for us. A split wine pairing, to say nothing of a regular wine pairing, will make it even more challenging. Of course, there is a semi-privacy factor that makes the room special.

We prefer the main dining room and have booked it a half dozen times. And we have reservations in April.

Ultimately, it's a question of quantity. The quality, of course, is remarkable...in either of the three room options.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 02-27-2014, 06:34 AM   #1222
woodleygrrl
As god as my witness, I will never ever be swindled by these thieves at Disney bakeries again.

totally agree with the above poster. it was simply too much food with the wine pairings, the bread, the coffee, the dessert....

I think when we do it again it will be the regular service. Sure the individual courses are not that large, but there are sooooo many of them.

Jennifer
Old 02-27-2014, 07:04 AM   #1223
GeorgiaHoo
DIS Veteran

great! Thanks for the prompt replies. I think we'll stick with the regular room.
GeorgiaHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:55 AM   #1224
tarak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaHoo View Post
great! Thanks for the prompt replies. I think we'll stick with the regular room.
This is where we're eating for our August trip. We've eaten at the Chef's Table and in the QV room. The food was fabulous, but it was sooo much to eat. By the end, I wasn't appreciating much of anything I was so stuffed.

weebabes - if your daughter is adventurous and likes to take her time at a meal, I'd absolutely take her. I'm taking my 11-year-old when we go. She loves to try new things (the one restaurant she was dying to try this past trip was Spice Road Table). I'm going to discuss it with her beforehand, though, and mention that it will be a long meal and if she thinks it will get boring, she can go to the Sandcastle Club with her siblings. And she has to wear a dress.
tarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:04 PM   #1225
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Beware the wine pairings!

on Saturday night, a young woman departed the GFR after dining (and drinking!) at V&A's by doing a series of circular spins until her shoes fell off! The man in her life, who was holding her rose and the V&A menu bag, looked a bit astonished.

All the best.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #1226
gretchenohar@hotmail

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
Beware the wine pairings!

on Saturday night, a young woman departed the GFR after dining (and drinking!) at V&A's by doing a series of circular spins until her shoes fell off! The man in her life, who was holding her rose and the V&A menu bag, looked a bit astonished.

All the best.
Whoops!!!
gretchenohar@hotmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:51 AM   #1227
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

I imagine "She" was just practicing her ballet moves...

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:19 PM   #1228
princesslilobess
Earning My Ears

If I ever get to go to V&A I will be twirling into the place!
princesslilobess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:47 PM   #1229
karenklo
DIS Veteran

That is exactly why I do not do the wine pairings!!! I want to be able to walk out of there on my own feet! We usually just pick two courses to have a wine with, but not all of them!
Old 04-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #1230
BC1836
DIS Veteran

We have seen other behaviors caused by the standard wine pairing and have learned from those experiences. We prefer to split a wine pairing these days. It works well for us.

All the best.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: