Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-26-2013, 06:46 AM   #1156
Waddler
Mouseketeer
 
Waddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by conandrob240 View Post
In my case, I think I gave pretty detailed descriptions of what wasn't good about the food and service. The Asian inspired amuse bouche had three items and they all tasted the same- very vinegary and personally I don't go to a French inspired restaurant for Asian inspired food. The rest of my courses ( and dislikes) are described above.
It sounds like the food just wasn't to your taste, then. That's fine. I'll probably still enjoy it.

Last edited by Waddler; 10-26-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Waddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #1157
conandrob240
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,239

Did you read the rest of my post?!?! Yes, some wasn't to my taste. Other food was just bad. Gnocchi and mushrooms with black truffle sauce. Hardly taste the black truffle, mushrooms over cooked, odd taste, actually bad to the point where I had to rinse out my mouth and stop eating it. Quail, which I don't eat often, but is a delicate light meat, smothered in a thick BBQ type sauce. Sauce was terrible and all wrong for the quail. Lamb dish was much smaller than in years past (2-3 small pieces instead of the usually 5-6 or 7). Again smothered in a thick similar sauce. The sauce tasted terrible and the vegetables were overlooked and bitter. They didn't go with the taste of the sauce at all. Service was so- so ( one good server, one very odd, very aloof guy) until main course then it went dramatically downhill. The cheese and dessert portion of our meal took over an hour simply because they got busy and truly just kept ignoring us. Dessert was good but not as food as it had been. I have eaten at V&A about 8 times. Never have I been there when I didn't enjoy even one of the courses. This time, there was nothing that wowed me and a few courses actually were terrible. Service was pretty poor.

I even ate a few of the dishes as in years past and they were "off" this year or newly invented with sauces and veggies that just didn't make sense. I have never experienced less than good service there either so that was also quite a shock.
conandrob240 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #1158
Gastons Truffle Hog
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 13

Can anyone please post a photo of the recent menu or any food pics?
Gastons Truffle Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #1159
Gastons Truffle Hog
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 13

Can anyone please post a recent photo of the menu or any food shots? I'm surprising my family with the QVR on 11/5 and am curious what we might be getting
Gastons Truffle Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #1160
Waddler
Mouseketeer
 
Waddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by conandrob240 View Post
Did you read the rest of my post?!?! Yes, some wasn't to my taste. Other food was just bad. Gnocchi and mushrooms with black truffle sauce. Hardly taste the black truffle, mushrooms over cooked, odd taste, actually bad to the point where I had to rinse out my mouth and stop eating it. Quail, which I don't eat often, but is a delicate light meat, smothered in a thick BBQ type sauce. Sauce was terrible and all wrong for the quail. Lamb dish was much smaller than in years past (2-3 small pieces instead of the usually 5-6 or 7). Again smothered in a thick similar sauce. The sauce tasted terrible and the vegetables were overlooked and bitter. They didn't go with the taste of the sauce at all. Service was so- so ( one good server, one very odd, very aloof guy) until main course then it went dramatically downhill. The cheese and dessert portion of our meal took over an hour simply because they got busy and truly just kept ignoring us. Dessert was good but not as food as it had been. I have eaten at V&A about 8 times. Never have I been there when I didn't enjoy even one of the courses. This time, there was nothing that wowed me and a few courses actually were terrible. Service was pretty poor.

I even ate a few of the dishes as in years past and they were "off" this year or newly invented with sauces and veggies that just didn't make sense. I have never experienced less than good service there either so that was also quite a shock.
Hey, food is somewhat subjective and I was just interested in hearing more detailed opinions. (Thanks for those, btw.) I'm kind of sorry that I asked.
Waddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #1161
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,667

We went to V&A in August and had a wonderful meal with wonderful service. My only complaint was they gave us a loaf to eat for breakfast the following day which when we looked at it was over a week out of date. It had been bought from baby cakes and I thought that was very bad from a restaurant like this but we really couldn't fault the food, the atmosphere or the service.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #1162
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,667

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddler View Post
The recent negative reviews are interesting. I can certainly understand being disappointed by a less-than-stellar experience. Expectations are justifiably high when you pay $200 per head. They should be able to impress almost anyone. For those reporting "bad" food, can you be more specific? Was it not to your taste, was it not prepared to generally-accepted standards, etc.? For example, at first glance, an Asian-inspired amuse bouche sounds wonderful to me. What made it terrible? I would also be offended if nearby tables clearly received superior service because they were better connected or appeared wealthier. I don't understood snobby/aloof servers at places like this. Waiting tables can make a good living, but it won't make you an oil tycoon. I suppose it's a bit of a sore spot for me. My husband and I are relatively young and admittedly a little nerdy, but we're polite, love good food & wine, and tip 20-25%. We ran into snobby service at Citrico's earlier this year, and we were really taken aback. (They sat us at someone else's table and then unapologetically asked us to move, served us oxidized wine, never re-filled our drinks, and apparently forgot to offer dessert, all while we tried to gracefully roll with the punches. No fun.) I don't know... do the super-wealthy really tip that much better? I'm headed to V&A's in early December and will keep my expectations in check. Thanks for the reviews.
We absolutely loved the Asian inspired amaze Boucher when we were there in August.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #1163
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,667

Quote:
Originally Posted by conandrob240 View Post
In my case, I think I gave pretty detailed descriptions of what wasn't good about the food and service. The Asian inspired amuse bouche had three items and they all tasted the same- very vinegary and personally I don't go to a French inspired restaurant for Asian inspired food. The rest of my courses ( and dislikes) are described above.
I'm not sure where you get the idea it is French inspired. It is advertised as being inspired by the Victorian dining rooms in London
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #1164
conandrob240
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,239

Here's the deal. We have eaten here many, many times. On every other visit, every food item & service was amazing. Like best restaurant I've ever eaten at great. This time, it was very " off" from that experience. I'd account maybe 20% of the dissatisfaction to personal tastes & preferences, the rest to the quality, presentation, innovation & service just being sub-par. You can feel free to take away from my review a warning, use whatever parts of it make sense for you or ignore completely, its up to you. But arguing about my experience/review doesn't really make much sense.
conandrob240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #1165
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic
 
Tinkerbellie16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mile High Rockies
Posts: 3,743

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljcrochet View Post
I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I know it is easy for me to say but at the point they denied you food, i would have asked to speak the the manager. I would not have paid the bill at V and A without speaking to a manager if my experience was like yours.

We went last year for our 14th wedding anniversary dinner. Sunday my BIL and SIL said they want to go to WDW with us and FIL around that time. FIL said that DH and I should go back for our anniversary. We had no problem booking it ( christmas week so was a little worried) and can't wait to go back.
I didn't see your post before or I would have replied! What happened when I asked for another dish is that my husband was in the bathroom and I did NOT want him knowing I was dissatisfied. This was the ONLY present I wanted and it wasn't his fault for the bad experience so I didn't want him to know about it. It wasn't until later in the dinner that we realized both of us were disappointed and when he got the bill and questioned them about it, he did not get any adjustment. It wasn't until we left that I told him I had asked for another dish. I know I should have, but at the time, I was more concerned for him because he wanted to make me happy (and he did and I still had a wonderful day and evening with him!) This whole trip was a BIG deal and BIG gift for me so I didn't want him thinking I didn't like his gift. Of course, looking back, I should have said something to him sooner. But I did tell the server so that should have been enough. I shouldn't have to tell my husband who then has to tell them to do something - you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by conandrob240 View Post
After many years of fantastic dinners at V&A, we too had a not-so-great experience last week (Thurs). I felt the food was far "off" from what it had been. The amuse buche was terrible- all tuna and very Asian inspired. My gnocchi with mushrooms and truffles was really terrible. Could barely taste the truffle and the mushrooms were overlooked and just terrible tasting. Another dish ( quail) had a thick, heavy BBQ-type sauce that overpowered it and also tasted bad. I ordered the lamb that I always get and the portion was much smaller. It was also covered with a similar thick heavy BBQ type sauce which ruined it. Service from main course on was absolutely terrible. It was as if we were forgotten about.my husband is very easy- going and he agreed it was not up to par but he hates to make a scene so I did not complain. But boy was a disappointed and horrified at a$400 price tag for such a bad meal and so-so service,. We probably won't be back.
I completely agree with you about the amuse buche - two of the items were tuna and not good. The noodle item was good but nothing that wowed me. And that quail dish is exactly what made me drink so much water - it was horrible!!! I LOVE figs and was so excited for this dish but that sauce was nasty. It was after that where I asked for a different entree and I wish I had insisted because the lamb main dish sauce was just as bad.

How interesting that you had such a similar experience, and I think you said it was last Thursday so only the day after we were there (oct 16).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddler View Post
The recent negative reviews are interesting. I can certainly understand being disappointed by a less-than-stellar experience. Expectations are justifiably high when you pay $200 per head. They should be able to impress almost anyone.

For those reporting "bad" food, can you be more specific? Was it not to your taste, was it not prepared to generally-accepted standards, etc.? For example, at first glance, an Asian-inspired amuse bouche sounds wonderful to me. What made it terrible?

I would also be offended if nearby tables clearly received superior service because they were better connected or appeared wealthier. I don't understood snobby/aloof servers at places like this. Waiting tables can make a good living, but it won't make you an oil tycoon. I suppose it's a bit of a sore spot for me. My husband and I are relatively young and admittedly a little nerdy, but we're polite, love good food & wine, and tip 20-25%. We ran into snobby service at Citrico's earlier this year, and we were really taken aback. (They sat us at someone else's table and then unapologetically asked us to move, served us oxidized wine, never re-filled our drinks, and apparently forgot to offer dessert, all while we tried to gracefully roll with the punches. No fun.) I don't know... do the super-wealthy really tip that much better?

I'm headed to V&A's in early December and will keep my expectations in check. Thanks for the reviews.
I didn't feel that the service was snobby, just that other tables were more important - especially the food and wine event. Any time we had additional questions or concerns is when they looked at us like they couldn't believe we had detained them from the next table or their next job. We still tipped them, they certainly serviced us and when I made $2.13/hour, the tips made my livelihood. But I'm honestly not sure how much V&A servers make.

As for specifics on the food, I am posting pictures of our menu below with some food pictures (I didn't get food pics of everything). Here is my take on the food:

Amuse-Bouche: Two tuna items, one noodle item. It all looked, and tasted, very grey (and not the delicious stuff!). The tuna was not a good flavor and the noodles were just 'fine'. The wine pairing was lovely - a sparkling brut.



Petit Poussin: This was a flavorful dish and I loved the unique violet mustard. The second picture is my husband's dish, the Octopus which he enjoyed. The wine pairing for the poussin was good (not my favorite) but the wine pairing for the Octopus was too strong (supposedly it is Enrique Eglesias favorite wine and he bought the vineyard to be able to get it imported to the US or something like that). Notice that the dish 'fell'. As the server sat it down, it fell over. It was a minor thing but these types of mistakes happened our entire meal.





Scallop: It was undercooked and my husband agreed but it tasted fine so he ate it. My husband got the yellowtail snapper which we both thought tasted good, but nothing remarkable. The wine pairings were both ok but we are not fond of most white wines and were disappointed to find a fall menu full of white wine rather than red (with heartier meat dishes too although we LOVE seafood and fish so don't think that is why we were disappointed).

Quail: This was the dish that really bombed. The sauce was way too salty (and I love salt) and it was too meaty and overpowering. My husband had the veal which he could not finish (my meat eating husband!!) because it was also too salty. The wine pairings were red and some of the best of the night.

At this point is when I asked for a different dish for my entree and I wish I had insisted.

Lamb: The sauce is way too overpowering and I seriously started to wonder if they put this same sauce on all the dishes. The sauces were reduced too far and were not light enough to compliment the dishes. The vegetables were undercooked AND overcooked. The lamb itself - well, my husband had one bite and I had none. He said it was bad. He then got his 'face' and I decided it was best not to talk about it in the restaurant. His duck was also not good. I'm asking him now if he could elaborate and he said, "Honestly, the only thing memorable was the bread and butter." At this point, the server asked me how my dish was and I asked if I could have more bread and butter and my husband did the same. They asked if we wanted our meal wrapped to which we said we wouldn't eat it anyway. And that was that The wine pairings were too light for the sauce but they tasted good with the bread It was black truffle brioche style bread if you are wondering!

This lamb looks more like something we homebodies would make in a crockpot - the presentation alone was awful!



The duck had better presentation but it also had our pet peeve, which is where you can see where they wipe the plate off if they get sauce on the wrong spot - it always grosses us out because my husband knows that they carry a towel around and goodness knows how many plates or items it has 'cleaned'.



Cheese and white gelato - Finally something they couldn't mess up too bad. Unfortunately, only the parmigiano reggiano and gouda reypenaer were 'wow', the others were not and they did not do a good job pairing the cheeses.

Now we come to dessert where we both had ordered soufflés - chocolate for me, grand marnier for him. My chocolate souffle was fabulous. His Grand Marnier was delicious but less flavorful than mine. We did get the coffee service as well and that was very, very good. The bailey's was delicious too and while I was only sipping it, when they charged us $15 each and wouldn't take it off the bill, I drank it down.

The after dinner chocolates came and we asked for them in a box - they were all subpar - plain, generic, and little flavor.

Now we did get some bread to take home and it said it was made at V&A. I found it very good. So my take on it is the pastry chef (baker) was on target and the chefs and cooks were...not.

Here was the menu for the evening:



__________________
DH ME DS (11) DD (10)


6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #1166
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic
 
Tinkerbellie16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mile High Rockies
Posts: 3,743

Quote:
Originally Posted by conandrob240 View Post
Here's the deal. We have eaten here many, many times. On every other visit, every food item & service was amazing. Like best restaurant I've ever eaten at great. This time, it was very " off" from that experience. I'd account maybe 20% of the dissatisfaction to personal tastes & preferences, the rest to the quality, presentation, innovation & service just being sub-par. You can feel free to take away from my review a warning, use whatever parts of it make sense for you or ignore completely, its up to you. But arguing about my experience/review doesn't really make much sense.
So crazy because we had such similar experiences and feelings about this place! We love it and were so disappointed by the most recent dinner there. I hope V&A
__________________
DH ME DS (11) DD (10)


6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #1167
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!
 
Tink rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 18,066

Might I suggest you bring your concerns to the managment of V&A's?

The Manager and Sommelier is Israel Perez.

The address for the Grand Floridian is... 4401 Floridian Way, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830

& the direct phone number for V&A's is (407) 824-1893


You won't get any satisfaction or resolve of your complaint if they don't know about it.
__________________
'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free,'tis the gift to come down where you ought to be, And when we find ourselves in the place just right, t'will be in the valley of love and delight.

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #1168
TinkerBelle_325
The Disney Foodie and a Polynesian Obsessive!
 
TinkerBelle_325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario CANADA
Posts: 3,780

Quote:
Originally Posted by conandrob240 View Post
After many years of fantastic dinners at V&A, we too had a not-so-great experience last week (Thurs). I felt the food was far "off" from what it had been. The amuse buche was terrible- all tuna and very Asian inspired. My gnocchi with mushrooms and truffles was really terrible. Could barely taste the truffle and the mushrooms were overlooked and just terrible tasting. Another dish ( quail) had a thick, heavy BBQ-type sauce that overpowered it and also tasted bad. I ordered the lamb that I always get and the portion was much smaller. It was also covered with a similar thick heavy BBQ type sauce which ruined it. Service from main course on was absolutely terrible. It was as if we were forgotten about.my husband is very easy- going and he agreed it was not up to par but he hates to make a scene so I did not complain. But boy was a disappointed and horrified at a$400 price tag for such a bad meal and so-so service,. We probably won't be back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by conandrob240 View Post
Did you read the rest of my post?!?! Yes, some wasn't to my taste. Other food was just bad. Gnocchi and mushrooms with black truffle sauce. Hardly taste the black truffle, mushrooms over cooked, odd taste, actually bad to the point where I had to rinse out my mouth and stop eating it. Quail, which I don't eat often, but is a delicate light meat, smothered in a thick BBQ type sauce. Sauce was terrible and all wrong for the quail. Lamb dish was much smaller than in years past (2-3 small pieces instead of the usually 5-6 or 7). Again smothered in a thick similar sauce. The sauce tasted terrible and the vegetables were overlooked and bitter. They didn't go with the taste of the sauce at all. Service was so- so ( one good server, one very odd, very aloof guy) until main course then it went dramatically downhill. The cheese and dessert portion of our meal took over an hour simply because they got busy and truly just kept ignoring us. Dessert was good but not as food as it had been. I have eaten at V&A about 8 times. Never have I been there when I didn't enjoy even one of the courses. This time, there was nothing that wowed me and a few courses actually were terrible. Service was pretty poor.

I even ate a few of the dishes as in years past and they were "off" this year or newly invented with sauces and veggies that just didn't make sense. I have never experienced less than good service there either so that was also quite a shock.
Sorry to hear that the meal was not up to your expectations from previous experiences. Did you speak to the manager at any point? Or request replacement dishes for those that were not to your liking?

One last question about the gnocchi - on the menu it is Gnocchi with Wild Mushrooms and White Truffle - were you expecting black truffle? If so, I can see why it didn't taste as you would expect. Black truffles are very strong and offer intense earthiness to a dish - however, white truffles are very subtle and don't have the same *punch* - they were also likely used much more sparingly as they are drastically more expensive.
__________________
Past Trips to the World....CSR (18) CBR (8) POLY (5) WL (4) BC (3) YC (2) AKL (1) BWI (1) POR (1) Offsite (4)
Upcoming...Oct 2014 - CSR
Twitter:@thedisneyfoodie and Instagram: TheDisneyFoodie
**NEW** TheDisneyFoodie Blog....coming soon!
TinkerBelle_325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #1169
conandrob240
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,239

Ugh, really? If I haven't already been clear, we have been to V&A numerous times and I know my way around a truffle. The night we were there the dish was gnocchi with mushrooms and black truffle- it was off of the vegetarian menu. It was not a misunderstanding about the truffle taste. the truffle taste was non- existent. the mushrooms were overcooked and yucky. The " broth" they were in tasted like dirty water. I have had the exact same dish before and it has been delicious. Again, if you don't agree or care about my opinion, that's fine but questioning ( debating) my experience is pretty silly.

Like I said, no, I did not say anything at the time. Although after every course, when asked if it was good my response was either " it was okay" or " not as good as on previous visits". The waitstaff never responded as I would expect them too and ask further questions. My husband was treating me for our anniversary, he is very laid back and would be mortified if I had said anything. After the meal, he agreed it wasn't nearly as good as it was in years past. But, yes, it is probably a good idea for me to approach Israel and tell him about our disappointment.
conandrob240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #1170
conandrob240
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,239

And, I am not trying to get any "satisfaction". I am merely sharing my experience with others.
conandrob240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Target Savings Thread Whitty Budget Board 1016 04-18-2011 04:52 PM
Disney Picture of the Day Thread - June 12, 2009 WeatherbySwann Theme Parks Community 3744 02-01-2010 06:48 PM
The 2009 Vero Beach Adoration and INFO thread MiaSRN62 DVC-Mousecellaneous 1502 01-18-2010 07:38 PM
8/15/09-Eastern-Tortola Treasure Seekers:Kids thread AL'N'STEVE Disney Cruise Meets 221 08-22-2009 06:47 PM
The What's For Dinner Thread - May '09(recipe index in OP) TigerKat Community Board 3231 08-02-2009 12:39 PM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: