Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #961
t_daniels
They'll NEVER be replaced
Does it make all the boy mooses go BWAH!?
 
t_daniels's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: OK
Posts: 3,835

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSpeedy
As long as he's wearing slacks and a jacket, be it a tuxedo, suit, or separates like khakis and a blazer, there won't be a problem. Ties are optional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala
He should wear slacks and a jacket. The jacket is mandatory, ties are optional.

Chef's Table in just over a week!!
Right. His is pretty straightforward. Mine is what I'm having issues with.
t_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #962
olive
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 493

I usually just go with a little black dress variation - something with room to breathe so I am comfortable after all those courses! I have seen other women in similar dresses, nice pantsuits, more cocktail dress kind of attire... I always bring a wrap or nicer cardigan in case it is chilly, though I think they also have some there for a pinch.
olive is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #963
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate
 
TDC Nala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far enough outside the Beltway
Posts: 59,270
DISboards Moderator

For women, a nice dress or pants suit. Black is always good, or a cocktail dress. Some like to do it up more and wear floor length dresses. As far as shoes, I would'nt wear poolside flipflops, nice sandals should be OK.

I'll be in black pants, sparkly top with a matching jacket and black pumps.
__________________
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #964
t_daniels
They'll NEVER be replaced
Does it make all the boy mooses go BWAH!?
 
t_daniels's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: OK
Posts: 3,835

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive
I usually just go with a little black dress variation - something with room to breathe so I am comfortable after all those courses! I have seen other women in similar dresses, nice pantsuits, more cocktail dress kind of attire... I always bring a wrap or nicer cardigan in case it is chilly, though I think they also have some there for a pinch.
I heard that too. Pashmina shawls, I think.
I have a lbd .. but its poor length. Have two cocktail y dresses, but they are bright red. More holiday party type..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala
For women, a nice dress or pants suit. Black is always good, or a cocktail dress. Some like to do it up more and wear floor length dresses. As far as shoes, I would'nt wear poolside flipflops, nice sandals should be OK.

I'll be in black pants, sparkly top with a matching jacket and black pumps.
Oooo.

Thanks for the suggestions!
t_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #965
Partridge
Earning My Ears
 
Partridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Denton, TX
Posts: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_daniels
Curious, for a V&A newbie, my husbands attire is pretty straightforward...but I'm having a hard time defining evening. In theory, its easy. Practice, not so much. There's not a thread somewhere hiding on it, is there?
I'm weird, and read this as defining evening attire for YOU! Just in case - a nice sparkly (or non-sparkly, I just love sparkle!) cocktail dress with a shawl with some snazzy heels would work just as well as a nice pantsuit or even a longer evening gown (as in sweeping the floor.) My personal rule for places like this is that whatever I'm wearing can't come from Target or Ross, so that usually necessitates a shopping trip . :P

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards!
Partridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #966
t_daniels
They'll NEVER be replaced
Does it make all the boy mooses go BWAH!?
 
t_daniels's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: OK
Posts: 3,835

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partridge

I'm weird, and read this as defining evening attire for YOU! Just in case - a nice sparkly (or non-sparkly, I just love sparkle!) cocktail dress with a shawl with some snazzy heels would work just as well as a nice pantsuit or even a longer evening gown (as in sweeping the floor.) My personal rule for places like this is that whatever I'm wearing can't come from Target or Ross, so that usually necessitates a shopping trip . :P

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards!
You aren't weird. You're exactly right.

And yeah. Me too. Haha. I have mostly casual ish dresses. Three nicer ones that might work. We will see.
t_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #967
JenKatt
Geek in training
 
JenKatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Apollo Beach, Fl
Posts: 2,136

I'll be going to CT with TDC Nala next week. I'm bringing both a cocktail dress and a more formal gown. I'll rely on V&A to provide one of their amazing shawls. I go overboard tho, I LOVE to dress up (makes up for scrubs that I wear normally)
__________________
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page." (St. Augustine)




JenKatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #968
t_daniels
They'll NEVER be replaced
Does it make all the boy mooses go BWAH!?
 
t_daniels's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: OK
Posts: 3,835

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenKatt
I'll be going to CT with TDC Nala next week. I'm bringing both a cocktail dress and a more formal gown. I'll rely on V&A to provide one of their amazing shawls. I go overboard tho, I LOVE to dress up (makes up for scrubs that I wear normally)
Do you ask, or are they offered?
t_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #969
JenKatt
Geek in training
 
JenKatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Apollo Beach, Fl
Posts: 2,136

It was offered.
__________________
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page." (St. Augustine)




JenKatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #970
deej696
They say the recipe for Sprite is lemon and lime, but I tried to make it at home....There's more to it than that!
 
deej696's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ocala, Florida
Posts: 2,507

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperess View Post
Las Vegas as well (although the stars weren't reviewed this past year), but yeah, that's what I thought too. I just don't think they have gotten there yet unlike AAA.
The Las Vegas guide was actually discontinued when the recession hit, but I'm with you...I wish that it was more widespread as I've found it to be more reliable or at least a better judge than AAA. Based on my experiences, V&A would be good for at least two, and would have a good case for a third star

On another note...can't wait for our first visit to the Queen Victoria room in a few weeks!
__________________
http://www.theworldofdeej.com - Hotels, Cuisine, and the Adventures between


Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas.
deej696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #971
jasperess
Mouseketeer
 
jasperess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by deej696 View Post
The Las Vegas guide was actually discontinued when the recession hit, but I'm with you...I wish that it was more widespread as I've found it to be more reliable or at least a better judge than AAA. Based on my experiences, V&A would be good for at least two, and would have a good case for a third star

On another note...can't wait for our first visit to the Queen Victoria room in a few weeks!
Wow, I didn't realize it had been that long! Well, Michelin should definitely get back on that, and expand!

Good to know you think it would be 2-3 Michelin star worthy though! While we've gone to some Michelin places in Vegas and soon in Chicago, we have yet to go to V&A's and are really hoping it lives up to our other experiences!
__________________
jasperess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #972
Cousin Orville
Inventor of Air Cooling
 
Cousin Orville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,427

From my limited experience, I would also give V&A at least 2 Michelin stars. Good to know about the reasons of why it probably doesn't have any.
__________________
Kevin

ABD DIS Backstage Magic Dec 2014
Norwegian Fjords on the Magic Jun 2015
ABD Australia Jul 2015
Cousin Orville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #973
SonomaCountyDad
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 41

It's hard to believe that a week ago tonight my wife and I ate at the Chef's Table. The pictures are at the link below if anyone wants to look. I'll focus on a few things that may have been different than normal nights.

My wife doesn't like game meat, so there were two substitutions that Chef Aimee (Scott was off that night) made for her. First, instead of the cold smoked lamb, she had cold smoked shrimp. Actually, the lamb was accidentally brought out for her at first, but once Aimee saw it, it was instantly taken away and the correct shrimp was brought out. Since Aimee, herself, doesn't like the taste of lamb, she is especially sympathetic to others that don't like lamb. Anyway, I tried some of the shrimp and thought it tasted almost better than the lamb. I would definitely recommend having one person get lamb and one get shrimp and sharing. Similarly, while I had some elk, my wife got the veal. Again, try to get both and share.

Regarding the add-ons, we got two of them. The first was some white truffle, which I probably didn't really appreciate. I know it's extremely rare and only available a few months out of the year, but I'm not very experienced in truffles, so I got it more to say that I had tried it than to actually enjoy it. The second add-on was worth every penny - we both got the wagyu beef. It's impossible to describe, and saying it's the best beef I've ever had just doesn't do it justice. If it's available, seriously consider getting it.

I've seen a lot of talk about the wine in this thread. My wife and I both got it. We are certainly no experts on wine, but you can judge from my name that I live in a part of the country where it is very easy to get a very good bottle of wine. Overall, the wine was good but not great. But that's okay, since I was going for great food and not great wine. Yes, there is a lot of wine, but it's not a college frat party where someone is making you drink all of it. I think I only finished two of the wine pairings. If you are uncomfortable not finishing all of the wine, then maybe you should think twice. I saved the extra room for the food, and I made the right decision for myself. Drink responsibly and don't drive impaired.

There was one thing that happened that may have been unique for our visit. About halfway through, we saw our server standing on a ladder in the kitchen and doing something with the clock. Apparently, the clock had stopped working and that was causing problems since certain dishes need to have things done at certain times. Another clock was found elsewhere in the resort and hung on the wall as a quick replacement. It made for an interesting conversation when he brought the next course to our table.

Overall, it was easily the best meal I have ever had. Aimee ran a great kitchen that night, and it also seemed that all of the chefs were having a good time laughing and talking with each other and not just doing their job.


https://plus.google.com/photos/10609...35622399545313
__________________
Me , DW , DS4
SonomaCountyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #974
NejTheLion
Jellyfish Jen
 
NejTheLion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kissimmee, FL
Posts: 849

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonomaCountyDad View Post
It's hard to believe that a week ago tonight my wife and I ate at the Chef's Table. The pictures are at the link below if anyone wants to look. I'll focus on a few things that may have been different than normal nights.

My wife doesn't like game meat, so there were two substitutions that Chef Aimee (Scott was off that night) made for her. First, instead of the cold smoked lamb, she had cold smoked shrimp. Actually, the lamb was accidentally brought out for her at first, but once Aimee saw it, it was instantly taken away and the correct shrimp was brought out. Since Aimee, herself, doesn't like the taste of lamb, she is especially sympathetic to others that don't like lamb. Anyway, I tried some of the shrimp and thought it tasted almost better than the lamb. I would definitely recommend having one person get lamb and one get shrimp and sharing. Similarly, while I had some elk, my wife got the veal. Again, try to get both and share.

Regarding the add-ons, we got two of them. The first was some white truffle, which I probably didn't really appreciate. I know it's extremely rare and only available a few months out of the year, but I'm not very experienced in truffles, so I got it more to say that I had tried it than to actually enjoy it. The second add-on was worth every penny - we both got the wagyu beef. It's impossible to describe, and saying it's the best beef I've ever had just doesn't do it justice. If it's available, seriously consider getting it.

I've seen a lot of talk about the wine in this thread. My wife and I both got it. We are certainly no experts on wine, but you can judge from my name that I live in a part of the country where it is very easy to get a very good bottle of wine. Overall, the wine was good but not great. But that's okay, since I was going for great food and not great wine. Yes, there is a lot of wine, but it's not a college frat party where someone is making you drink all of it. I think I only finished two of the wine pairings. If you are uncomfortable not finishing all of the wine, then maybe you should think twice. I saved the extra room for the food, and I made the right decision for myself. Drink responsibly and don't drive impaired.

There was one thing that happened that may have been unique for our visit. About halfway through, we saw our server standing on a ladder in the kitchen and doing something with the clock. Apparently, the clock had stopped working and that was causing problems since certain dishes need to have things done at certain times. Another clock was found elsewhere in the resort and hung on the wall as a quick replacement. It made for an interesting conversation when he brought the next course to our table.

Overall, it was easily the best meal I have ever had. Aimee ran a great kitchen that night, and it also seemed that all of the chefs were having a good time laughing and talking with each other and not just doing their job.


https://plus.google.com/photos/10609...35622399545313
Thanks for sharing!

Yes, have to agree with everyone else's disappointment in the lack of US cities that Michelin has chosen to explore. And it will be a long time before central Florida joins that group, if ever.

I also agree that I've been more impressed by some Michelin 2 stars than some AAA Five Diamond restaurants that I've visited. There's one place close to where we live that has only been consistent in its inconsistency - definitely a shame when you're spending so much.

Can't wait to be back at V&A for New Year's Eve this year - less than a month away! I'll try to keep my head on and remember to come back and post photos here
__________________
Jen


Next Trip: Podcast Cruise 5.0

Only took 83 nights with DCL to become Platinum*1st Panama Canal Cruise 2005*1st Mediterranean Cruise 2007*1st Baltic Cruise 2010*Podcast Cruise 2.0*Disney Dream Maiden Voyage 2011*DIS Unplugged ABD Backstage Magic Jul-Aug 2011*Podcast Cruise 3.0*DIS Unplugged ABD London/Paris 2012*DIS Unplugged ABD Backstage Magic Dec 2013*Podcast Cruise 5.0
NejTheLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #975
WsPrincess
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,210

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonomaCountyDad View Post

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and your pictures!
WsPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Target Savings Thread Whitty Budget Board 1016 04-18-2011 05:52 PM
Disney Picture of the Day Thread - June 12, 2009 WeatherbySwann Theme Parks Community 3744 02-01-2010 07:48 PM
The 2009 Vero Beach Adoration and INFO thread MiaSRN62 DVC-Mousecellaneous 1502 01-18-2010 08:38 PM
8/15/09-Eastern-Tortola Treasure Seekers:Kids thread AL'N'STEVE Disney Cruise Meets 221 08-22-2009 07:47 PM
The What's For Dinner Thread - May '09(recipe index in OP) TigerKat Community Board 3231 08-02-2009 01:39 PM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: