Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #736
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

I have a couple more questions if that is alright;
Have you found that if you CHOOSE not to eat certain kinds of meat that it is more appropriate to simply order one of the other options rather than tell them on the phone of your choices? I don't want to be a pest and I am not a full on vegetarian either. My fear is that if I don't mention that I do not eat chicken, veal or lamb that I may not have much of a choice at all when the time comes and will have to just pick the third option. Would trying for the Chef's Table be a terrible idea considering that I am making any requests? (And when is the earliest I'd be able to call in and try for it if not?)

Also my husband and I love having pictures of pretty food and have made a habit of taking pictures of memorable meals to enjoy later and (yes) to brag a little to a few of our friends who enjoy fancy food as much as we do. Would it be better and seem less obtrusive to pull out a cell phone or an actual camera? I'm certain that a DSLR would be a bit much, and imagine the phone might automatically steam some even though it will certainly be turned to silent.

Lastly, would you all recommend NOT having breakfast the next day?

Last edited by AquaDame; 04-09-2012 at 06:30 PM.
AquaDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #737
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDame View Post
I have a couple more questions if that is alright;
Have you found that if you CHOOSE not to eat certain kinds of meat that it is more appropriate to simply order one of the other options rather than tell them on the phone of your choices? I don't want to be a pest and I am not a full on vegetarian either. My fear is that if I don't mention that I do not eat chicken, veal or lamb that I may not have much of a choice at all when the time comes and will have to just pick the third option. Would trying for the Chef's Table be a terrible idea considering that I am making any requests? (And when is the earliest I'd be able to call in and try for it if not?)

Also my husband and I love having pictures of pretty food and have made a habit of taking pictures of memorable meals to enjoy later and (yes) to brag a little to a few of our friends who enjoy fancy food as much as we do. Would it be better and seem less obtrusive to pull out a cell phone or an actual camera? I'm certain that a DSLR would be a bit much, and imagine the phone might automatically steam some even though it will certainly be turned to silent.

Lastly, would you all recommend NOT having breakfast the next day?
IIRC, they gave us both the vegetarian and regular menu, and we were free to eat from either. Also, if you don't eat a certain type of meat, feel free to tell them. You will NOT just have 1 choice. They will give you other options.

I don't know about the Chef's Table. We don't eat enough to justify it. (We're the type that usually split meals when we go out. )

IME, feel free to whip out the real camera. I brought mine, and I was taking a few pictures with no flash. Our Albert encouraged me to take pictures, and he even told me to feel free to turn on the flash.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #738
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

I would reccomend telling them everything you don't eat. One time we went there are the Amuse Bouche was all about salmon. I've tried, but I just don't like salmon. My Amuse was completely changed, but was still very similar to my dining companions plate, it just didn't have the salmon in any of the bites.

Also they have a variety of choices for each of the different courses, if you don't eat certain meats they will give you more seafood and vegetarian options on your menu.

As long as your camera doesn't make a huge flash and disturb others, you could use any kind you want. A cell phone camera won't work well in the dim lighting, and as evidenced by the number of pictures on the DIS, a lot of people take pictures of their meals!

If you want the chef's table, I would recommend calling at 7AM Eastern time six months to the day. Be flexible, it took me four days to finally get it. We ended up there the second to last night of our trip. I would have hated to have to get on a plane the next morning, the chef's table is A LOT of food!

I wouldn't plan on a character breakfast or buffet the next morning, but you could make a reservation, just realize you might only want a bagel, some yogurt or some other side of something. I doubt you would be up for the Big Kahuna at Kona!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #739
domiii
To all who come to this happy place, welcome! - Walter E. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonFaerie View Post
I just booked our V&A ressie for Oct 9. We're dining in the main dining room again. Queen Victoria was available, and I almost booked that this time. Last time, we didn't finish dessert, were full to the point of being borderline miserable, and never got hungry again until dinner the next day. Somehow I think adding more courses wouldn't be such a good idea.
October 9th is my birthday!! Enjoy. And thanks for the warning, we are in the QVR for our 25th anniversary this May. I won't eat all day just to prepare.
05/87 BV Palace/Contemporary ... 11/89 HoJo's ... 07/92 CBR ... 08/97 PO ... 11/99 ASMu/ASMo ... 06/02 WL/Wonder ... 04/04 Pop Century ... 11/04 POFQ ... 12/05 Christmas Magic-DCL ... 08/06 SSR ... 11/07 SSR GV ... 03/08 ASMu (K&D) ... 06/08 SSR (KE w/JR) ... 11/08 Wonder/SSR ... 07/09 OKW/AKL GV-KV/OKW ... 05/10 CS ... 12/10 SSR GV ... 04/11 ASMu ... 06/11 Dream/THV ... 05/12 THV ... 10/12 AKL-KV

domiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #740
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

Thank you all for the advice! We tend to split meals too unless we are both starving, so I will pass on chefs even though it would be a nice experience.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #741
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by domiii View Post
October 9th is my birthday!! Enjoy. And thanks for the warning, we are in the QVR for our 25th anniversary this May. I won't eat all day just to prepare.
When in May? We will be in the MDR on May 6.
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #742
domiii
To all who come to this happy place, welcome! - Walter E. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
When in May? We will be in the MDR on May 6.
May 2. We just miss each other!! They were buildling the GF when we were on our honeymoon. I have literally been planning this for 25 years. We are going with both our mothers and our DD and her BF.
05/87 BV Palace/Contemporary ... 11/89 HoJo's ... 07/92 CBR ... 08/97 PO ... 11/99 ASMu/ASMo ... 06/02 WL/Wonder ... 04/04 Pop Century ... 11/04 POFQ ... 12/05 Christmas Magic-DCL ... 08/06 SSR ... 11/07 SSR GV ... 03/08 ASMu (K&D) ... 06/08 SSR (KE w/JR) ... 11/08 Wonder/SSR ... 07/09 OKW/AKL GV-KV/OKW ... 05/10 CS ... 12/10 SSR GV ... 04/11 ASMu ... 06/11 Dream/THV ... 05/12 THV ... 10/12 AKL-KV

domiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:39 AM   #743
Sorrel
Mouseketeer

We have been to V&A for the last two years, and loved it! We booked again for our trip this year, and though we have had to change our accommodation from the Beach Club to offsite because of financial reasons, but we have kept our V&A ressie as a treat - we both love it and it will be the birthday celebration meal for us both The thought of cancelling that was just a step too far!

However, I was checking our last two personalised menus (with 2 weeks to go I am more than excited!), and the current menu on the V&A website, and they are more or less identical. Most things I read seem to say that the food changes daily, and of course I believe the amuse bouche does, and perhaps the appetisers, but the mains and the desserts all seem very familiar now. Do you think I can expect to see something different this time? What are the thoughts of those who have more times than me?

Thank you

Last edited by Sorrel; 04-18-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Sorrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #744
engle
DIS Veteran

I find some of the items repeat....but I was there in January and found many new items that I haven't seen before....and I have been 5 times. There is always something new at V&A...unless you go maybe within a few months of each visit. I am sure you will have a lovely time...I just love V&A and try to make it every visit!!
engle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:52 AM   #745
Sorrel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by engle View Post
I find some of the items repeat....but I was there in January and found many new items that I haven't seen before....and I have been 5 times. There is always something new at V&A...unless you go maybe within a few months of each visit. I am sure you will have a lovely time...I just love V&A and try to make it every visit!!
Thanks Engle. We'll enjoy it anyway, even if it is the same food as that food is delicious!

Just noticed our vacation countdowns are exactly the same

Sorrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #746
sarmat1
Mouseketeer

A couple of quick questions -

1. I see mention of upcharges in the Main Dining Room. For the Chef's Table, are there any upcharges or is anything included?

2. Given the new way of handling split wine pairings, does not having half pours now mean that the lesser number of full pours are appropriately paired to multiple courses? And if that's the case, what are the opinions of those who have done split pairings since the switch?
sarmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #747
mickeyd78
Mouseketeer

Really hoping to book the Chefs Table for our wedding anniversary in November. Can you book the Chefs Table 180 days plus 10 if you are staying on property, or is it just 180 days? Also, is there a special number to call.

We've never been to V&A's before. Can't wait to try it.
mickeyd78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:24 AM   #748
ambgoph
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd78 View Post
Really hoping to book the Chefs Table for our wedding anniversary in November. Can you book the Chefs Table 180 days plus 10 if you are staying on property, or is it just 180 days? Also, is there a special number to call.

We've never been to V&A's before. Can't wait to try it.
Yes, you can book at 180+ 10 - that's exactly what I did and I had a choice of 2 dates the entire week I'm there.

I called V&A'S directly at 9am (when they open) at 180 days out. (407) 939-3862

Be sure to have your reservation number. Good luck!!
ambgoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:45 AM   #749
netsorc
Earning My Ears

Can you book the Chef's Table for one?
netsorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:29 AM   #750
scubamouse
Mouseketeer
My shoes match. I know, I checked!

We still have our menu from 20 years ago. Has anyone brought back old menus with them to show the people working at V&A?
2005 Christmas at Villas Wilderness Lodge
2006 at Wilderness Lodge
2007 Beach Club Villas with free dining
2008 Beach Club villas
Spring break 2009 Howard Johnson's at Disneyland
August 26 - September 5, 2010 Bonnet Creek
Planning an August 2012 trip
scubamouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: