Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2012, 07:32 PM   #706
RCharnay
DIS Veteran

You said it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
Ah, once again...too much wine and food last night. And in the main room! When will we ever learn. Next time: no wine pairings.

All the best.
I read the warnings here but I thought "3 glasses over 3 1/2 hours, I can handle that.". I was wrong. Too much wine. Half a glass with each course is still a lot of wine and I was just so happy by the time the gelato and souffle came, I'm not sure I tasted them.

I loved our evening and can't wait to return and get it right next time. Next time, we share!
2008 - Nov - Hilton Head
2008 - December/Jan - OKW
2010-Jan-VWL
2011-Jan-OKW/BWV
2011-Mar-AK SV
2012-Mar & Dec-OKW
2013-Dec-OKW
2014-Jan & Mar & Oct & Dec-OKW
RCharnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #707
Navychica
Mouseketeer

2 questions;

Is Victoria and Albert's really worth the money? If we go, we'll want to do the wine pairings, and we'll probably have to switch 1 or 2 other meals to CS to make it a bit more affordable.

Also, how far in advance does it book up? Do you need to call exactly 180 days out? Our plans completely depend on when I come back from deployment, and right now we're making reservations for 2 or possibly 3 different weeks early next year, and then canceling what doesn't work. We may not know for sure when we're going until 3-4 weeks away.
Navychica is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #708
jkh1978
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navychica View Post
2 questions;

Is Victoria and Albert's really worth the money? If we go, we'll want to do the wine pairings, and we'll probably have to switch 1 or 2 other meals to CS to make it a bit more affordable.

Also, how far in advance does it book up? Do you need to call exactly 180 days out? Our plans completely depend on when I come back from deployment, and right now we're making reservations for 2 or possibly 3 different weeks early next year, and then canceling what doesn't work. We may not know for sure when we're going until 3-4 weeks away.
There's only a handful of 5 star restaurants, so unless you are a picky eater, then yes its worth it.

I'm not sure how how booked up they are, but there are 3 kinds of experiences, so if you want the chef's table or the Queen Victoria, you'd need to book those earlier than a table in the main room (would be my guess).
Old 04-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #709
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navychica View Post
2 questions;

DW and I dined at V&A during our last trip in Nov, 2010. We live in a small Mississippi town but visit nicer restaurants in New Orleans when we can. DW and I like to try all different kinds of foods so WDW is great for us since there is so much to choose from. With that said, we would place V&A above any place we have been. The service, food prep, wine pairings... all of it is 1st class. It is truly a dining experience and not just a meal. A word of caution though, if you get the wine pairing, you get a full glass with each course. DW and I split a wine pairing and received the appropriate wine with each course but only a 1/2 glass. A full glass with each course and we would be crawling out of there at the end of the night!

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
saintstickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #710
jkh1978
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
DW and I dined at V&A during our last trip in Nov, 2010. We live in a small Mississippi town but visit nicer restaurants in New Orleans when we can.
Have you been to Stella! V&A would be my #1, and and Stella! my #2 favorite meal.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #711
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Going tonight!

My wife and I are going to V&A's tonight (4/5) to celebrate our 15th anniversary. I'll do a review in the next couple of days.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #712
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
DW and I dined at V&A during our last trip in Nov, 2010. We live in a small Mississippi town but visit nicer restaurants in New Orleans when we can. DW and I like to try all different kinds of foods so WDW is great for us since there is so much to choose from. With that said, we would place V&A above any place we have been. The service, food prep, wine pairings... all of it is 1st class. It is truly a dining experience and not just a meal. A word of caution though, if you get the wine pairing, you get a full glass with each course. DW and I split a wine pairing and received the appropriate wine with each course but only a 1/2 glass. A full glass with each course and we would be crawling out of there at the end of the night!
When we were there in Dec 2011, they did the wine pairing splitting differently. It was 6 glasses total, and we each got 3. It was still customized to each of our individual food choices.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #713
DrGaellon
Disney Fan - Westgate Owner

Quote:
DW and I dined at V&A during our last trip in Nov, 2010.... DW and I split a wine pairing and received the appropriate wine with each course but only a 1/2 glass.
I understand they've since changed the policy; if you split the wine pairing, you now each get three full-size glasses, properly matched to the dish you've chosen.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #714
jkh1978
DIS Veteran

Glad to hear they are properly matching those drinks. I'm not much of a wine drinker, so I like when I go someplace fancy with an expert. If that was the policy when we went, we would maybe have done the "sharing" instead of each getting our own wine flight.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #715
DrGaellon
Disney Fan - Westgate Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkh1978 View Post
Glad to hear they are properly matching those drinks. I'm not much of a wine drinker, so I like when I go someplace fancy with an expert. If that was the policy when we went, we would maybe have done the "sharing" instead of each getting our own wine flight.
All of the wine flights are pre-selected by the chef and sommelier. Even in the old days, you each got a half-glass of the wine that was appropriate to your dish, even if they were different wines.

Does anyone know why they changed it?
Old 04-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #716
ambgoph
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGaellon View Post
All of the wine flights are pre-selected by the chef and sommelier. Even in the old days, you each got a half-glass of the wine that was appropriate to your dish, even if they were different wines.

Does anyone know why they changed it?
Yes. When I was there in Dec. I asked Israel about it at the end of the evening. He said they were losing money as some of the 1/2 glass pours ended up being more than 1/2 a glass.

I wish they went back to the old way as I enjoyed trying all of the different wines with each course.
ambgoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #717
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambgoph View Post
Yes. When I was there in Dec. I asked Israel about it at the end of the evening. He said they were losing money as some of the 1/2 glass pours ended up being more than 1/2 a glass.

I wish they went back to the old way as I enjoyed trying all of the different wines with each course.
Indeed. We have dined at V&A regularly over the last several years and have always enjoyed the wine pairings, although the main dining room servings are easier to consume that the other two room offerings.

Remember: the serving amounts are appropriate to the glass, i.e., to the curve of the glass. A so-called "half-glass" via the wine pairings would yield an amount something like a glorified ounce -- not like the Blues Brothers consuming white zinfandel!

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.
BC1836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #718
BGK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambgoph View Post

So, I'm terminally confused. If one is a wineaux (like yrs. trly.), uninterested in splitting a wine pairing, is the main dining room wine pairing still a different wine with each course? Or are there only now three wines, served with/just prior to some of the courses?
BGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #719
Eeyore98
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGK View Post
So, I'm terminally confused. If one is a wineaux (like yrs. trly.), uninterested in splitting a wine pairing, is the main dining room wine pairing still a different wine with each course?
Yes.

Quote:
Or are there only now three wines, served with/just prior to some of the courses?
Only if you are opting to split a wine pairing with someone else.
Eeyore98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #720
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So, I'm terminally confused. If one is a wineaux (like yrs. trly.), uninterested in splitting a wine pairing, is the main dining room wine pairing still a different wine with each course? Or are there only now three wines, served with/just prior to some of the courses?
This may help.

Here's what I had last Friday with each course:

1. Amuse-Bouche...Piper Heidsieck Cuvee

2. Gulf Shrimp...Paco & Lola Albarino, Rias Baixas 2009

3. Diver Scallop & Langoustine Cioppino...Jules Taylor Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough 2011

4. Porcini Mushroom Soup...Talley Vineyards Estate Pinot Noir, Arroyo Grande Valley, 2009

5. Kurobuta Pork Tenderloin...Yangarra Estate Shiraz McClaren Vale 2008

6. Assorted cheeses...Quinta do Crasto Porto 2006

Adds up to more than three by my count.

Enjoy!

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.
BC1836 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: