Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #691
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellie16 View Post
Also, how many items do they put caviar in or on? And will they take it off? It is one of the few items in this world I find gross (and I like cow's tongue, wild game, and have even eaten insects). It appears that V&A is a great restaurant but I worry when restaurants smother things in truffles or caviar - although I'll eat the truffles!
They will call to confirm about a week out. At that time they will ask if you have any allergies or specific dislikes.

If you tell them caviar, not only will your copy of the menu not have the caviar shown, but if any item normally has caviar as part of it that will also not show on your menu.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! Currently at Everything Pop Merchandise after nine years in Guest Services/Ticket Sales.

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #692
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
They will call to confirm about a week out. At that time they will ask if you have any allergies or specific dislikes.

If you tell them caviar, not only will your copy of the menu not have the caviar shown, but if any item normally has caviar as part of it that will also not show on your menu.
Oh, that is great, thank you!

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #693
jasperess
Mouseketeer

I don't suppose anyone has a picture of the caviar course or knows what it entails? I've only had some on top of other food items and really liked it, but haven't come across any pictures on here on Yelp yet.
jasperess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #694
DrGaellon
Disney Fan - Westgate Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperess View Post
I don't suppose anyone has a picture of the caviar course or knows what it entails? I've only had some on top of other food items and really liked it, but haven't come across any pictures on here on Yelp yet.
Traditional Russian/French caviar service would come with blinis (small pancakes made with buckwheat flour), sieved hard-boiled eggs, finely minced red onion, capers and créme fraiche. It may optionally also include minced cornichons.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:56 AM   #695
TwoIfBySea
Mouseketeer

The night we were there they only used it on top of a fish course, not as a traditional course. I don't know how often they serve it traditionally.
TwoIfBySea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #696
jkh1978
DIS Veteran

Menus constantly change so don't listen to anyone here on how it will be prepared
Old 03-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #697
ems_mom
DIS Veteran

I know the menu will be the same, but is there any reason you chose one seating over another? I have a reservation for a late seating (8:30 pm) because at home we usually dine @ 7:30 or later. Then I read somewhere that at the late seating the harpist leaves early, plus my husband is afraid with a 2+ hour dining time, its just too late. Any experiences? We will be celebrating our 28th anniversary.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #698
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

we choose to dine that late so we can hit a park in the morning then head back to the resort for a leisurely preparation after an early lunch. despite DH cheating and using a *gasp* pre tied bow tie it can take a while to get all his blasted medals just so. although we usually don't book anything past 730 or 8

plus we like to wander around GF prior to eating. Makes us fell all swanky
Mrsjvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #699
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkh1978 View Post
Menus constantly change so don't listen to anyone here on how it will be prepared

True...except for the vegetarian (with or without seafood) menus. One of us always orders via the vegetarian menu and, alas, it hasn't changed significantly during our last five V&A meals whether it be in the V&A Room or the main dining area. We're hoping for a changed vegetarian menu on our next visit next week. The regular menu, however, is always intriguing.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
BC1836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #700
shaun&miranda
Mouseketeer

We ate in V&A's last October and had a 9:15pm seating. We chose to eat that late because it was the only booking we could get

But actually it worked out great, we arrived at the GF around 8pm and went and sat in Mizner's Lounge (the bar at the GF - same floor as V&A's, just behind the balcony for the band). I love Mizner's and we had a couple of drinks and listened to the live music, it was a lovely start to the evening.

The harpist played two or three sets while we ate, and yes we did then see her pack up and leave, but it was kinda nice to feel so quiet and secluded away from all the disney noise and hubub outside. We were literally the last people in the place, which normally I would feel very uncomfortable with, and feel we needed to leave so the servers could close up, but our servers explained that they would be there several more hours getting everything straight and that we were not to rush at all, but to stay as long as we liked. It was just lovely, and actually pretty romantic to be there all alone so late at night (it was coming on to midnight by this time, lol!) She assured us that they were used to folk finishing later than we had, and they always allow for people to linger over their meals when they accept the bookings for that time

On the Kobe upgrade vs the Niman Lamb debate, my DH had the Kobe and I had the lamb, and I kicked myself. Being British I found the lamb and english peas to be perfectly nice, but was so every-day for my normal food it was dull for me. Sure it was beautifully cooked and presented and I did enjoy it, but it wasn't special. In the UK we do good lamb. In America you guys have incredible beef. For us Brits, it is next to impossible to order a filet mignon in a restaurant and when it is on a menu it is crazy expensive. British restaurants are also not good at cooking beef and always over-cook it, so to see this beautifully pink-red gorgeously tender steak was incredible for us. So if you're a British foodie, don't choose the lamb unless you're really really sure!

Although we said it would be once in a lifetime, we loved it so much that we have booked to go again to V&A's this May for DH's 40th birthday

This time I am getting the Kobe upgrade

Miranda
PS We have also been to Shula's and I agree the steak there is incredible, but I preferred the kobe in V&A's.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We got married at WDW Wedding Pavillion 24th May 2007
shaun&miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #701
ems_mom
DIS Veteran

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I'm that crazy type A who needs as much information as possible. My husband wanted the earlier seating so I gave in, on the condition that after dinner we can go see Wishes (if not inside the park, maybe from the beach at the Poly) which is at 10:00pm that night.

For my date in May the late seating is no longer available so I told him to be sure. So now I am thinking of the 5:30 start as cocktail hour. We have champagne, the amuse bouche and go slowly from there. At 8:00pm or later we can take the boat to the MK and watch wishes before returning to our villa (or from the Poly beach if Mk seems too much after the wine pairings!)

I want to take pictures, but I'm not a photographer. Will it bother the other diners if I use my phone?
Old 03-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #702
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ems_mom View Post
Thank you for sharing your experiences. I'm that crazy type A who needs as much information as possible. I want to take pictures, but I'm not a photographer. Will it bother the other diners if I use my phone?
A couple of unobtrusive photos are acceptable; however, on more than one occasion we have seen a few "gollee, lookie there: three forks by my plate" folks snapping away as if they were at a character breakfast.

We'll get a first-hand look once again a week from Friday.

Enjoy your meal and be cautious: the wine (and when appropriate, beer) pairings can be overwhelming. But they are paired to near perfection.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 03-24-2012, 01:33 AM   #703
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Thanks for all the info on the caviar! Since I'm not allergic to anything, I think I'll just let it fly. I'm game for eating just about anything. If I don't like it, I'm sure there are lots of other things that will be served - and DH loves it when I don't eat something

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:46 AM   #704
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Ah, once again...too much wine and food last night. And in the main room! When will we ever learn. Next time: no wine pairings.

All the best.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:21 PM   #705
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Got our call yesterday. We are going to be there 4/5 and they called 6 days ahead. Soooo looking forward to this experience!!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: