Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #676
TwoIfBySea
Mouseketeer

We ate at the Chef's Table last week. I did not feel comfortable arriving without a tie (and indeed, everyone else waiting in the lounge before we were brought in was even more dressed up than I was), but they do say ties are optional, and perhaps even more so at the Chef's Table since there are no other parties back there.

Amount of food: I was worried about this too, but it worked out. I have had a very small appetite lately and this was a 10 or 11 course dinner, plus three different bread courses, but the portions really were quite small and very spread out (we arrived at 5pm and did not leave until 8:45), and I was doing fine through the 7 savory courses and the cheese plate, and with the exception of one little thing I didn't care for, I ate every bite (and so did my 12-year-old daughter).

By the time dessert came, however, I was pretty full. I couldn't finish the two dessert courses. And then there was a goodbye course of chocolates, which fortunately they were happy to box up for another day (Others in this thread have mentioned the same thing, so it must be quite common).

My daughter was presented with a long-stemmed rose at the end of the meal. I had wondered how they handled that if the party was two men -- do they both get one? Neither? If you go, DrGaellon, I will be curious to hear!

The chef's table experience was fabulous in and of itself beyond the food -- not only did Chef de Cuisine Scott Hunnel come to introduce most of the dishes personally, but several of the other chefs and line cooks came back to talk with us at various points during the meal when they had a spare moment, and we really got to see a lot of what was going on. The angle isn't great -- it would be nice if the table was raised a couple of feet so we could see more of the action -- but we still saw a lot.
TwoIfBySea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #677
bradleyc
Earning My Ears

How do you make V and A affordable?

After reading the DIS Boards for several months now, I have gained a wealth of knowledge. I have just started looking into dining at V and A for our October trip for my 40th birthday. Is there a trick to making this meal affordable other than paying out of pocket for 4 people? Does one of the more expensive Disney Dining Plans cover a meal at this restaurant? In other words, I have read different posts where people buy 1 day of the more expensive plan, the Platinum Plan, to cover 1 day of tours in the parks. If you do split plans, do you have to have a split resort stay?

Thanks for the help!
bradleyc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #678
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Have one person (21 or older) in the group upgrade their ticket to an AP. You can then buy (for $75) a Tables in Wonderland card which gives a 20% discount at almost every table Service restaurant, including V&A. This discount is good for up to ten people and does include alcoholic beverages.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:13 AM   #679
TwoIfBySea
Mouseketeer

Cheshire's idea is good, and may be the most affordable.

There is indeed a Platinum dining plan that covers V&A (but not the Chef's table). However, they have recently changed the rules on the Platinum plan to require a 3-day minimum. Thus, the "do all you can in one day" Platinum strategy no longer works.

With the Platinum plan retailing at $239 per night per adult, and V&A costing $135 per person in October, you'd need to do a lot more than just eat at V&A to come out ahead.

And on the night you eat at V&A, it may not be wise to have had a huge breakfast and lunch .

And then on the other two days you'd have to find comparably expensive things to do. If you won't be spending any time in the parks, and want to do golfing and boating and getting massages and doing the Richard Petty driving experience and so forth, then sure, it could be worth it. But if you're looking just at the food, well, except for V&A's chef's table I don't think we ever spent over $150 per person per day for food, even on the days we sat down for three table service meals and had a couple of snacks.

[Edit: I looked back at our bill. Not counting our V&A day, our most expensive food day came to $107 per person including all meals and snacks, leaving out alcoholic beverages which are not covered by the plan anyhow.]

Last edited by TwoIfBySea; 02-24-2012 at 08:26 AM.
TwoIfBySea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #680
bradleyc
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the great suggestion! I will look into an annual pass this evening. I guess I would want to drop the dining plan if I purchased the TIW discount card.
bradleyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #681
AAshleySEG
DIS Veteran

Thumbs up Quick Menu Update

Hi guys, my DH and I ate at V&A's on March 1, 2012 and I thought I would share with you all what was on the menu, in case anyone was interested I will put an * beside what we ate, everything was delicious and I had nothing bad at all, I ate everything on every plate including all of the bread courses and the friandises I was full but it was worth it and actually pretty manageable! My DH and I also split the Wine Pairing, we each had 3.

*Amuse-Bouche: Cauliflower Creme with Caviar, Crab Roulade, Seared Duck, Seared Ahi Tuna

*Gulf Shrimp and Heirloom Tomatoes with Charmoula Sauce
*Cold-Smoked and Seared Bison with Truffle Vinaigrette
Galilee Osetra Caviar with Tradtional Garnishes
German Osetra Caviar with Tradition Garnishes

Diver Scallop and Langoustine Cioppino with Main Mussel and Fennel Nage
*Black Grouper with Arugula Pudding
*Wild Turbot with Toasted Capers and Preserved Lemon

*Porcini Mushroom Soup with Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding
*Roasted Quail with Asian Pears and Serrano Ham Jus
Marcho Farms Veal with an Apple Wine Kraut

Kurobuta Pork Tenderloin and Belly with Verjus-Bacon Vinaigrette
Poulet Rouge with Roasted Butternut Squash Spaetzle
*Niman Ranch Lamb with Candied Marble Potatoes and English Peas
*Australian Kobe Beef Tenderloin with Smoked Garlic-Potato Puree
Blackmore Wagyu Strip Loin with Oxtail Jus

*Colston Bassett Stilton, Sottocenere Al Tartufo, Gouda Reypenaer XO and Fiscalini Cheddar
*White Chocolate Gelato with Tableside Shavings

*Tanzanie Chocolate Pyramid with a Champagne-Chambord Truffle
Meyer Lemon and Blood Orange Purse with Blackberry-Violet Sherbet
Caramelized Banana Gateau
Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee
Grand Marnier Souffle
*Hawaiian Kona Chocolate Souffle

"Celebes" Coffee, Tea, and Friandises
AAshleySEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #682
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

*drool*

was the Kobe worth the up charge?
Mrsjvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #683
domiii
To all who come to this happy place, welcome! - Walter E. Disney

Another stupid question - QVR

We are dining in QVR in May for our 25th Anniversary. There are 6 of us. Is is a fixed menu or will everyone have choices?

Glad to read they will pair red or white only if that is your preference. DM prefers white, DD prefers red, I'll try whatever they pair me with!!

This is a 'bucket' list item for me and I am so excited to experience this. DH and I have never really celebrated our anniversary. But after 25 years, I figured we might as well do it right!! The Grand Floridian was being built when we where at WDW for our honeymoon!!
05/87 BV Palace/Contemporary ... 11/89 HoJo's ... 07/92 CBR ... 08/97 PO ... 11/99 ASMu/ASMo ... 06/02 WL/Wonder ... 04/04 Pop Century ... 11/04 POFQ ... 12/05 Christmas Magic-DCL ... 08/06 SSR ... 11/07 SSR GV ... 03/08 ASMu (K&D) ... 06/08 SSR (KE w/JR) ... 11/08 Wonder/SSR ... 07/09 OKW/AKL GV-KV/OKW ... 05/10 CS ... 12/10 SSR GV ... 04/11 ASMu ... 06/11 Dream/THV ... 05/12 THV ... 10/12 AKL-KV

domiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #684
DrGaellon
Disney Fan - Westgate Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by domiii View Post
We are dining in QVR in May for our 25th Anniversary. There are 6 of us. Is is a fixed menu or will everyone have choices?
Apparently, everyone gets a personalized menu with 3 or 4 choices for each course. If one of the standard choices comes up against an allergy or "dislike," the offending item will be removed or substituted on that person's menu.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #685
AAshleySEG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsjvb View Post
*drool*

was the Kobe worth the up charge?
My husband got the Kobe, and it was very good...So if you really like beef then I think it is worth the upcharge...HOWEVER, I got the lamb and thought it was way better than his beef. He also said that if he went again, he wouldn't get that, but that he is glad he tried it once He also went on to say that we are spoiled on Steak considering we go to Shula's every other time we go to WDW, so if it was me I would skip the kobe/wagyu upcharge and go to Shula's for a REALLY good steak...lol I will tell you that the Turbot was DEFINITELY worth the upcharge, I absolutely loved it. I have only had one better piece of fish in my life and it was the maize crusted corvina at Jiko, FYI
AAshleySEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #686
jenneth79
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAshleySEG View Post
My husband got the Kobe, and it was very good...So if you really like beef then I think it is worth the upcharge...HOWEVER, I got the lamb and thought it was way better than his beef. He also said that if he went again, he wouldn't get that, but that he is glad he tried it once He also went on to say that we are spoiled on Steak considering we go to Shula's every other time we go to WDW, so if it was me I would skip the kobe/wagyu upcharge and go to Shula's for a REALLY good steak...lol I will tell you that the Turbot was DEFINITELY worth the upcharge, I absolutely loved it. I have only had one better piece of fish in my life and it was the maize crusted corvina at Jiko, FYI
We did the same thing, and I would have to second the thought that the lamb was better overall.

When we dined at V&A the upcharge fish choice was Dover Sole... oh my goodness..... so worth it!!!
jenneth79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #687
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

yeah Shula's is on our list next trip. I have had Wagyu and Kobe both before so the prep would have to be really intriguing before I'd pay the upcharge

especially if they have game on the menu

mmmm Pheasant.....
Old 03-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #688
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

I am so excited! DH and I will finally be trying V&A on our summer trip We used to go out to nice dinners all the time before the kids and DH used to be a chef and worked at a AAA 4 diamond restaurant here. Now he has a construction company (crazy huh??) and I work and we end up making egg sandwiches for weeknight dinners He was really excited when I told him I booked V&A (and kids are going to Neverland Club that night).

So I've read all about the wine pairings and I've seen the extensive wine list on their web site. But do they have cordials and other drinks?

Also, how many items do they put caviar in or on? And will they take it off? It is one of the few items in this world I find gross (and I like cow's tongue, wild game, and have even eaten insects). It appears that V&A is a great restaurant but I worry when restaurants smother things in truffles or caviar - although I'll eat the truffles!

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #689
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

I don't do fish eggs either.. IIRC the only time you will see it is with an upcharge

there will be an after dinner drink menu. definitely specialty coffees, and you can pretty much order any bar drink as well. I wanna say there was a port(Tawny I think) option. maybe limoncello?

we shared an after dinner drink with another table as they offered to buy( DH was in uniform)

you definitely will most likely see truffles yummy tasty truffles although we are talking shavings, nothing will be drowning in them.

but by all means you can request anything be left off the menu. as for prep, they will work with you as much as they can without compromising the dish.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #690
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsjvb View Post
I don't do fish eggs either.. IIRC the only time you will see it is with an upcharge

there will be an after dinner drink menu. definitely specialty coffees, and you can pretty much order any bar drink as well. I wanna say there was a port(Tawny I think) option. maybe limoncello?

we shared an after dinner drink with another table as they offered to buy( DH was in uniform)

you definitely will most likely see truffles yummy tasty truffles although we are talking shavings, nothing will be drowning in them.

but by all means you can request anything be left off the menu. as for prep, they will work with you as much as they can without compromising the dish.
Awesome, thank you!

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: