Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #661
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
DW and I ate at V&A for the first time during our trip the week after Thanksgiving 2010 (TR link below). We live about 100 miles from New Orleans and have experienced some nice restaurants there but none are 5 diamond like V&A. We're not exactly "country come to town" when we go to nice places but they are not our usual place to visit...not for lack of desire to try but more for lack of availability in our small town. With that said, when we dined at V&A, we NEVER felt out of place or worried about some etiquette faux pas. The CM's weren't the least bit snooty or snobbish. They knew how much to explain, how much to instruct and when to say nothing. The correct silverware is given with each course, removed when done and new silverware placed for the next course so you don't even have to wonder which fork to use! It was the best dining experience ever for us! As for the wine with each course, when we made our reservations, we asked if we could split a wine pairing between us because we were leery about that much wine. We reminded them when we arrived and it was not a problem. They gave us a small pour of the appropriate wine with each course. The CM chose the correct wine based on what we each ordered. And don't worry about what to eat or not eat either. Everything served is edible. Try it all and eat whatever you desire. Just don't pick the soup bowl up to slurp the last bit (even though you will want to because it is so good) and you'll be fine!
Awesome info, thanks! So basically if you pick up your knife and fork and have this deer in the headlight look like "what now" they will probably notice, and offer gentle suggestions on how to enjoy your dish??
Old 02-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #662
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

pretty much yeah.

for the most part only a few items require 'special' training.. like lobster or crab legs. and really it's almost intuitive but if you have issues do not hesitate to ask for assistance.

as for pouring smaller amounts.. tell ya what, next time invite me and I will help ya out. DH and I can kill a bottle without trying and since he drives, I tend to kill the larger amount....

I am toying with the idea of trying to get the Victoria room next Trip although I am perfectly content with the standard option.
Mrsjvb is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #663
AAshleySEG
DIS Veteran

Would this be a good suit for hubby?

My DH is trying to decide what to wear, I am wearing a cocktail dress and heels, have a pic of a suit he loves (he is a bow tie guy), wanted to see if you guys thought it would be too dressy or if it is appropriate for V&A Thanks for all the advice about the food and wine! I am even more excited, and have nothing to worry about on that front anymore!
AAshleySEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #664
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Having been multiple times, there is nothing that is "too dressy" for V&A. I have seen people in military dress uniforms, and also men in Black Tie. Possibly White Tie might be a bit over the top, but still not out of place.

Personally I wear dark slacks, a blazer, and a pastel shirt with a Mickey tie.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #665
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead
Does anyone have any more secrets to add?

I made our first ADR for V&A a couple weeks ago. After going to WDW last weekend, I'm wondering if we may need to rethink it. I realize it's a tasting menu. How large are the portions? My DH & I ate at Bluezoo Sunday. We shared the shrimp (I had 1 shrimp, my DH had 2) & scallop (we each had 1 scallop) appetizers, the pork entree & 2 desserts. I ate 2 bites of pork to save room for dessert. It was outstanding, but I was getting too full. We didn't eat half of either dessert, but left stuffed. We had a similar experience of wasting a lot of food at Jiko the night before. Do you think V&A will be worth it for us? Will we fill up too fast to fully enjoy the experience? I'm still stuffed from the weekend, so it seems like a lot of food at the moment.
(")_(")

tarheelmjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:30 AM   #666
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelmjfan View Post
I made our first ADR for V&A a couple weeks ago. After going to WDW last weekend, I'm wondering if we may need to rethink it. I realize it's a tasting menu. How large are the portions? My DH & I ate at Bluezoo Sunday. We shared the shrimp (I had 1 shrimp, my DH had 2) & scallop (we each had 1 scallop) appetizers, the pork entree & 2 desserts. I ate 2 bites of pork to save room for dessert. It was outstanding, but I was getting too full. We didn't eat half of either dessert, but left stuffed. We had a similar experience of wasting a lot of food at Jiko the night before. Do you think V&A will be worth it for us? Will we fill up too fast to fully enjoy the experience? I'm still stuffed from the weekend, so it seems like a lot of food at the moment.
well honestly if you share and still leave that much food then yeah I would seriously rethink spending that kind of money. I don't think you are allowed to split at V&A, so you'd each pay full price no matter what you ate.

First you get an amuse bouche, which at our last trip was 4 different( one bite each) tomato based morsels.. yes you can make ice cream out of tomato. weird, but true. that's NOT counting the actual tasting menu. now I did skip one of the courses( the seafood one) as I don't do seafood and politely declined the offer of something else to be prepared. I may have left a bite or two of each course( and had to send away the bread basket as I could have eaten just that and been perfectly content) and I did NOT share my dessert but there is still plenty of food.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #667
kdka421
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelmjfan View Post
Obviously this is going to be pretty hard for any of us to judge, you know best. What I'd recommend is looking at some reviews to get a better idea of what to expect (mine post with pictures of all the food is here, but I'm sure there are tons within this thread). The quantity of food is obviously more than an average meal (each portion is smaller, but there are many more courses), but it also is spread over a much longer period of time. They are glad to let you pace it out as long as you want to take. We spent about 4 hours there.

Hope that helps a little. Let me know if you have any questions I can help with!
Old 02-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #668
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsjvb View Post
well honestly if you share and still leave that much food then yeah I would seriously rethink spending that kind of money. I don't think you are allowed to split at V&A, so you'd each pay full price no matter what you ate.

First you get an amuse bouche, which at our last trip was 4 different( one bite each) tomato based morsels.. yes you can make ice cream out of tomato. weird, but true. that's NOT counting the actual tasting menu. now I did skip one of the courses( the seafood one) as I don't do seafood and politely declined the offer of something else to be prepared. I may have left a bite or two of each course( and had to send away the bread basket as I could have eaten just that and been perfectly content) and I did NOT share my dessert but there is still plenty of food.
Thanks for the info. How do the portion sizes compare to signature restaurants? I started eating healthier last year, & I find I fill up much faster, when I eat foods I normally don't. Bread is a real problem for me too. I rarely eat it now. When we eat out, I have a tendency to overindulge. I'm actually glad, when I don't care for the bread (i.e. Jiko). I wish we'd tried V&A, before I changed my eating habits. Hindsight, huh?
(")_(")

Old 02-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #669
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdka421 View Post
Obviously this is going to be pretty hard for any of us to judge, you know best. What I'd recommend is looking at some reviews to get a better idea of what to expect (mine post with pictures of all the food is here, but I'm sure there are tons within this thread). The quantity of food is obviously more than an average meal (each portion is smaller, but there are many more courses), but it also is spread over a much longer period of time. They are glad to let you pace it out as long as you want to take. We spent about 4 hours there.

Hope that helps a little. Let me know if you have any questions I can help with!
Thanks for the help. I'll definitely read your review. Pacing the meal should help some. I really want to try it, but don't want to fill up halfway through the meal & miss out on the later courses.
(")_(")

Old 02-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #670
donnishobson
Mouseketeer

Queen Victoria Room on Feb 1, 2012

We ate at the QV room on our 40th anniversary trip. The food was fantastic and the visual presentation spectacular. The service timing was very good but the but the table-side presentation seems added, not integral. We could hear the same scripted spiel at the other table occupied in the room. The waiters recited - they didn't just talk to you about the food. Although we were never rushed nor did we wait long for any course but the waiters seemed rushed to serve in the main dining room.

There was a huge advantage to the QV room. My husband was sick for our reservation on Mon and they re-booked us for Weds. That would not have been possible with a reservation in the regular dining room. And the change may have caused the service to be less than perfect due to last minute staffing.

I would return to eat there in a heartbeat, but the added expense of the QV room is currently $75 for the dinner and $35 for the wine. And the prices are going up in June. I will stick with the regular dining room next time. The food and presentation are a good value at $125 for sure.
donnishobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #671
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnishobson View Post
We ate at the QV room on our 40th anniversary trip. The food was fantastic and the visual presentation spectacular. The service timing was very good but the but the table-side presentation seems added, not integral. We could hear the same scripted spiel at the other table occupied in the room. The waiters recited - they didn't just talk to you about the food. Although we were never rushed nor did we wait long for any course but the waiters seemed rushed to serve in the main dining room.

There was a huge advantage to the QV room. My husband was sick for our reservation on Mon and they re-booked us for Weds. That would not have been possible with a reservation in the regular dining room. And the change may have caused the service to be less than perfect due to last minute staffing.

I would return to eat there in a heartbeat, but the added expense of the QV room is currently $75 for the dinner and $35 for the wine. And the prices are going up in June. I will stick with the regular dining room next time. The food and presentation are a good value at $125 for sure.
Thank you for your report. You were fortunate that V&A was flexible enough to change your reservation. As you suggested, your QV room booking had something to do with it.

Alas, we were unable to eat everything on our last QV room visit (too much with the wine pairing). We're back at V&A next month in the main dining room and look forward to it. Prices going up in June, eh?

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian
BC1836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #672
DrGaellon
Disney Fan - Westgate Owner

My boyfriend and I are going to Walt Disney World in October. We are going the week after our second anniversary, and it will be our first time dining at Victoria and Albert's. I just want to clarify: men are required to wear both jacket and tie?

Also, since same-sex marriage is now legal in our home state of New York, it seems to me that V&A would be the ideal setting to propose. I know I can't do our ADR until July, but is there someone at the restaurant I can contact to help me make the proposal very special?
Old 02-17-2012, 07:36 AM   #673
ambgoph
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGaellon View Post
My boyfriend and I are going to Walt Disney World in October. We are going the week after our second anniversary, and it will be our first time dining at Victoria and Albert's. I just want to clarify: men are required to wear both jacket and tie?

Also, since same-sex marriage is now legal in our home state of New York, it seems to me that V&A would be the ideal setting to propose. I know I can't do our ADR until July, but is there someone at the restaurant I can contact to help me make the proposal very special?
Congratulations!!! I would call V&A's directly (407.939.3862) 180 days in advance to make the reservation and discuss what they might be able to do.

Jacket is required, tie is optional.

Have a great time - it's a wonderful experience.
ambgoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:55 AM   #674
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGaellon View Post

should be no problem getting some inside assistance. I know you will have the opportunity to speak to somebody prior to discuss the menu as you will each get a specialized one.

IIRC the tie is optional.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #675
DrGaellon
Disney Fan - Westgate Owner

I called WDW-DINE this morning to confirm dates - V&A is now a 180 day ADR (plus 10 if you're staying on property), not 90.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: